You rock......... I feel a little foolish right now. I didn't even think to reboot then try to load. It is loading right now. Picked the BB right up and installed. Thanks!!
    08-28-08 12:22 AM
    Just wanted to throw in my thanks for the writeup and the rest of the posts.

Having flashed my Treos a number of times and upgrading my (former) 8300 once, I felt confident but yet a little apprehensive since it was a beta (4.5.0.77). Strange to say it, but I think I was apprehensive *because* I read so much ahead of time. I've been known to "overthink" things before

Followed the instructions and it couldn't have been easier. Haven't spent enough time with it yet, but everything seems to be working just fine. Thanks again.
    08-28-08 11:39 PM
    I have always been a techy junky. I finally got the BB and right out of the box tried to update to the newest and the best. I have the OS 4.5.0.55 installed up from the 4.2 OS. My problems are this.

GPS does not seem to work on amAze at all. It used to pick me up right away, now it does not. Google maps puts me in Oklahoma, I am in Indiana. GPS is turned on in tools.

I used to be able to watch videos on blueapple and now I get an error that the network does not support it that I have to download it and save it. Then it gets an error when trying to download and save. Youtube opens up the media player then nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to watch videos and use the navigation. I really do not want to revert back. I guess I will if I have. But from what I have read I must have something wrong.

Okay now Nothing works. I went ahead and restored to old backup file before the update. Now when trying to get online it says something about inside and outside a firewall not allowed by IT. My browser icon is no longer up. I think I have really made a mess out of this one.
    Last edited by aaronhome27; 08-29-08 at 11:24 AM.
    08-29-08 10:45 AM
    I'm going out to pick up my first BB (8330) tomorrow! Eeeks, all this talk on the perils of updating the OS has me scared!! I'm not going near anything like that for a loooong time!
    08-30-08 10:42 PM
    I have always been a techy junky. I finally got the BB and right out of the box tried to update to the newest and the best. I have the OS 4.5.0.55 installed up from the 4.2 OS. My problems are this.

GPS does not seem to work on amAze at all. It used to pick me up right away, now it does not. Google maps puts me in Oklahoma, I am in Indiana. GPS is turned on in tools.

I used to be able to watch videos on blueapple and now I get an error that the network does not support it that I have to download it and save it. Then it gets an error when trying to download and save. Youtube opens up the media player then nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to watch videos and use the navigation. I really do not want to revert back. I guess I will if I have. But from what I have read I must have something wrong.

Okay now Nothing works. I went ahead and restored to old backup file before the update. Now when trying to get online it says something about inside and outside a firewall not allowed by IT. My browser icon is no longer up. I think I have really made a mess out of this one.
    Ok, first off it sounds like you didn't buy this device brand new. Maybe from a friend or off e-bay? Also, I know you just upgraded, but .69 is much more stable than .52. It is a beta, but there are numerous members using it here for over a month with little or no problems. Some 3rd party apps don't work with 4.5.
    As far as the firewall situation, does it have a little red lock beside it? If so, it's not the best, but it can be fixed. I'd suggest upgrading to .69. But post back about the red lock before doing so.
    08-31-08 03:57 AM
    Hello. This is not the first time I've upgraded my OS, but it is the first time wiping the handheld with JL_Cmder. I followed the instructions to a tee and when I go to load the OS, it says "connecting to boot rom" for about 3 minutes and then shows "a fatal error has occured while updating your devices software. Please try again." I've tried 4 times and still nothing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    08-31-08 11:11 AM
    Hello. This is not the first time I've upgraded my OS, but it is the first time wiping the handheld with JL_Cmder. I followed the instructions to a tee and when I go to load the OS, it says "connecting to boot rom" for about 3 minutes and then shows "a fatal error has occured while updating your devices software. Please try again." I've tried 4 times and still nothing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Try and re-boot the computer. That should work.
    08-31-08 12:00 PM
    Does this OS have to be wireless provider specific (ie - can I use the OS's posted on this forum or do I have to find the OS provided on Bell Mobility's webiste) or can I just download any OS as long as it works with the 8330?

Sorry if this was asked before; the thread is kinda long!
    09-01-08 09:59 AM
    As long as the OS matches your hardware, you can use one from any carrier, provided you delete the vendor.xml file before trying to install it.
    09-01-08 10:25 AM
    Does this OS have to be wireless provider specific (ie - can I use the OS's posted on this forum or do I have to find the OS provided on Bell Mobility's webiste) or can I just download any OS as long as it works with the 8330?

Sorry if this was asked before; the thread is kinda long!
    Exactly as Jeff stated... as long as the OS is for your specific device model, then it will work
    09-01-08 10:58 AM
    Anybody know how I can completely clear my BB without using Jl cmdr? It is not compatable with a 64bit OS....
    09-05-08 01:34 AM
    When I downgraded from 4.5.0.77 back to 4.3.x.xxx i lost all of my contacts even though I backed them up. Unfortunately I didn't back them up to outlook, just the DM back up. I still have the back up file and have ran back up several times and still no luck; no contact show up. Everything else appears to have worked fine. Any ideas?
    09-07-08 08:21 PM
    When I downgraded from 4.5.0.77 back to 4.3.x.xxx i lost all of my contacts even though I backed them up. Unfortunately I didn't back them up to outlook, just the DM back up. I still have the back up file and have ran back up several times and still no luck; no contact show up. Everything else appears to have worked fine. Any ideas?
    If you backed up the device, then you can get the info back. Plug in device>open DM>And select backup/restore and select the backup file.
    09-07-08 09:23 PM
    Thanks, I tried that four or five times, and all sms and emails come back, along with calendar entries, just for some reason my contacts do not.
    09-07-08 09:38 PM
    Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor
    The link will take you to Amber ABC, a program that will let you extract your contacts from your backup file. If they're there, you can export them to Outlook and sync them back to the BlackBerry. If for some reason they failed to backup, then at least you'll know why you can't recover them.
    09-07-08 10:21 PM
    Thanks Jeff, that worked.
    09-07-08 10:56 PM
    I want to Downgrade from 4.5 to 4.2, where can I find the 4.2 OS installer (for BB 8100 Pearl) for my Desktop Software?
    09-10-08 02:01 AM
    I want to Downgrade from 4.5 to 4.2, where can I find the 4.2 OS installer (for BB 8100 Pearl) for my Desktop Software?
    Mobistar Blackberry Software
    09-10-08 02:16 AM
    Why is the Pearl 8100 not mentioned in the dropdownmenu?
    09-10-08 03:45 AM
    Why is the Pearl 8100 not mentioned in the dropdownmenu?
    I just looked at it and it is the second item in the drop down
    09-10-08 04:28 AM
    I just looked at it and it is the second item in the drop down
    Lol.. my apologies.. and thanks for your help.
    09-10-08 05:08 AM
    Thank you so much for this guide. I followed the steps and had no problem whatsoever when I upgraded my OS.
    09-12-08 02:57 AM
    Thank you so much for this guide. I followed the steps and had no problem whatsoever when I upgraded my OS.
    Glad everything went smoothly and congrats on the upgrade!!
    09-12-08 05:34 PM
    I have to agree with all you guys that this is a fantastic guide and is actually understandable! Congrats BMC on a great job man!
    09-12-08 06:18 PM
    I have to agree with all you guys that this is a fantastic guide and is actually understandable! Congrats BMC on a great job man!
    Thanks a lot man... the compliments mean a lot
    09-12-08 06:21 PM
717 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD