04-04-14 01:58 PM
717 1234 ...
tools
    I have to say, I walked through upgrading to 4.5.0.51 using this without much issue at all. Only issue I experienced was the radio was turned off and I had to mess around making a few calls and battery pulls with the 8830 before it fully came around for some reason. Probably something I did wrong or didn't understand somewhere I'm sure.

Thank you BM for a great thread of info that really helped me.
    Sometimes the radio remains off after upgrades (this method and the 'other method'). All you need to do is go into Manage Connections and turn on the Mobile Network!!

@Crucial and Severe : Thank you very much for the compliments!!
    07-20-08 04:51 PM
    sorry but this may seem like a stupid question but does the bb have to be unlocked before you upgrade the os and if you dont does it remove the lock afterwards.
    07-20-08 05:56 PM
    sorry but this may seem like a stupid question but does the bb have to be unlocked before you upgrade the os and if you dont does it remove the lock afterwards.
    No and no.

To unlock your device you need to follow a completely different procedure. And your device does not need to be unlocked... that is why you remove the vendor.xml file
    07-20-08 05:58 PM
    Sometimes the radio remains off after upgrades (this method and the 'other method'). All you need to do is go into Manage Connections and turn on the Mobile Network!!
    Ahhh... I figured it was a setting that was off, just couldn't find it. haha... Manage Connections... Umm, Sorta obvious huh?

Nonethless, Thanks much for taking time to post this, it certainly assisted me.
    07-20-08 06:52 PM
    bmcclure and Crucial... always coming through for us... thanks again yall!
    07-20-08 07:06 PM
    Still cant do the trick. For some reason javaloader is not doing the job. Can it be that 10 seconds is not enough time for the program to access the phone ??? The rebooting comes every 10 seconds. I have never seen that before. I have fixed almost 20 phones that were in the same state but non of them lasted less than 30 seconds to reboot. Also I noticed that javaloader has to be done with the battery on. Without the battery on the phone it is unreachable. Any other idea ???
    07-20-08 08:24 PM
    Still cant do the trick. For some reason javaloader is not doing the job. Can it be that 10 seconds is not enough time for the program to access the phone ??? The rebooting comes every 10 seconds. I have never seen that before. I have fixed almost 20 phones that were in the same state but non of them lasted less than 30 seconds to reboot. Also I noticed that javaloader has to be done with the battery on. Without the battery on the phone it is unreachable. Any other idea ???
    If you are having that trouble, then refer to the guide in my signature on how to recover a dead Berry! Works like a charm!

*EDIT* : But can we attempt to stay on-topic here. This thread is for upgrade/downgrade procedure, not recovering a dead berry (or one that is stuck in a reboot loop).
    07-20-08 08:27 PM
    Is there any reason why during an OS upgrade I can't pull out my SIM card and put it in another phone so I can get calls and texts for the hour or so it takes to complete? Then once it is done put the SIM back in let it register, send service books and off I go?

I used to do that when I upgraded OS's on my Windows Mobile Tilt and Treo. Of course their upgrade didn't take near as long.

Thanks
    Jeremy
    07-21-08 05:37 PM
    So I'm ready to install the 4.5 beta. I read through your guide and I just have one question before I do this. I get a warning that says I will need to active the phone wirelessly to continue to send and receive messages and use other Blackberry features. Does that just mean I need to turn data connection back on as was mentioned earlier?
    07-23-08 10:39 AM
    So I'm ready to install the 4.5 beta. I read through your guide and I just have one question before I do this. I get a warning that says I will need to active the phone wirelessly to continue to send and receive messages and use other Blackberry features. Does that just mean I need to turn data connection back on as was mentioned earlier?
    I am not sure what you are asking...

Please clarify what you are meaning. What steps have you completed?

Your explanation is not clear
    07-23-08 01:22 PM
    I haven't done the upgrade yet. I started to, but once I get to the point that I have to click on Finish in the DM to start the upgrade, there is a message at the top of the screen that says "you will need to active the phone wirelessly to continue to send and receive messages and use other Blackberry features". I just wanted to know that means.
    07-23-08 01:36 PM
    @ Tadrscin :No problem. Select finish. And it'll be alright.
    07-23-08 02:09 PM
    OK, here I go...
    07-23-08 02:25 PM
    Well as you can see all is well after the upgrade. Now I'm just waiting for my first HTML e-mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 02:54 PM
    Well as you can see all is well after the upgrade. Now I'm just waiting for my first HTML e-mail.

Awesome!! Glad everything worked
    07-23-08 02:55 PM
    I was surprised at how quick and painless it was. Only about 15 minutes total and I was up and running. I had heard that it could take up to 15 minutes just for the BB to reboot, but mine was almost instant once DM said it was finished.

07-23-08 02:59 PM
    I was surprised at how quick and painless it was. Only about 15 minutes total and I was up and running. I had heard that it could take up to 15 minutes just for the BB to reboot, but mine was almost instant once DM said it was finished.

Well good!!

Just be sure you are actually running the correct OS then!!

Options > About or Alt-LShift-H
    07-23-08 03:01 PM

07-23-08 03:13 PM
    Congrats. I know I was VERY apprehensive on my first OS install.
    07-23-08 03:17 PM

Nice man!! Congrats... you will love it, and you will be addicted to Beta OSes now (believe me, you will always want the latest after your first plunge... it drives people insane. Around new Beta releases a lotta users get really impatient and unbearable! )
    07-23-08 03:21 PM
    Yeah I was a bit nervous when I saw the warning about activating the phone wirelessly. I may even do my wife's when it arrives.

07-23-08 03:21 PM
    Nice man!! Congrats... you will love it, and you will be addicted to Beta OSes now (believe me, you will always want the latest after your first plunge... it drives people insane. Around new Beta releases a lotta users get really impatient and unbearable! )
    As a former Windows beta tester I know exactly what you're talking about. My wife already thinks I'm insane anyway

07-23-08 03:28 PM
    where is vendor .xml file located
    07-23-08 10:36 PM
    where is vendor .xml file located
    For the love of God... please read the guide

I did not take the time to write the guide to have people pass over the steps I detailed. That is explained directly within the tutorial

Don't mean to be a d*ck... but people are starting to read less and less and ask more and more... what is the point of a guide if people do not read?

Delete the vendor.xml file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader)
    07-23-08 10:43 PM
    Do i need to dl the older os in order to downgrade:?
    07-24-08 03:10 PM
717 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD