So, over the weekend I upgraded my Sprint 8830WE fromthe 4.2 OS to the beta 4.5 OS. I followed all the steps and it worked beautifully. However, memory will remain an issue. So follow all the steps in the right order does work. Yay!! Crackberry rocks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 12:40 PM
    [QUOTE=JeffH;1385562]Upgrading your OS. A good way to do that is to perform the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. Created by Forums Moderator Reed McLay, it will show you how to install your device OS on your PC, (which you have to do to upgrade your OS) and will help you optimize your free memory. It's a terrific tutorial procedure. Once you've done that, and understand what's going on, upgrading your OS will be much easier.

Hello
    New to the forums and pretty new to BB. I can't find you'r sig to follow the link for the Memory Optimazation u suggest doing before I try my Sprint 8330 update. Also, Sprint says it doesn't support that version. They say they plan to release it in April. Either way, would you send me you'r link and anyother links/info on a Sprint 8330 BB you think may be helpful.

01-20-09 12:50 PM
    Thank you for posting the instructions!
    01-22-09 12:24 PM
    I have a question, I wanna upgrade the OS and do a wipe, is there a way I can keep my BBM contacts only instead of having to add them again once the upgrade is complete?

I have alot of contacts and would hate to keep having to remove them and then add them again
    01-22-09 12:28 PM
    I have d/l the 4.5 os for my phone three times now and it will not bring up the new os in DM. am i a doing something wrong? i followed the steps and i still cant get it to go.
    01-25-09 03:43 PM
    Hey, I need a little help, upgraded my girlfriends pearl to a 4.5 and now it's moving slow and she wants it back on her original 4.2, I believe I backed the 4.2 to my cpu how do I get the 4.5 off and put the 4.2 on ( I know someone is gonna get mad for me asking a question that has been answered probably a hundred times in this thread for the record I did look and I will re-read, but any help will be greatly appreciated)
    01-29-09 07:30 PM
    okay, i have a huuuuge problem that i can't find a solution to anywhere. I have a blackberry storm 9530 and am trying to download OS .99 and i Follow all of the steps but when i get to step 5 and set up the DM i do not get a sign that tells me that there is new updates available. I do not know what to do. i tried going to the application loader and adding it but it does not appear in the the folder in which i saved it in.(which is the downloads folder of course)Can anyone please help me?? i really do not like OS .75 and want to upgrade. i am using DM 4.7 (oh yeah i have not deleted the vendor file because first of all, it is not located anywhere when i search for it. and second of all, i am with verizon and it says thats only neccessary if i am not with original carrier) SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE
    02-02-09 08:41 PM
    It sounds like you haven't installed the .99 upgrade. It's not sufficient to download the exe, you have to double-click it to install it on your PC so CrackMem, the DM App Loader, etc can find it.
    02-02-09 09:08 PM
    yes i have installed it but it installs the install shield wizard. where does the file go to? after the install shield wizard is finished does do i have to install it again or go to Dm app loader? because the DM does not find any new OS updates for me
    02-03-09 12:01 AM
    oh yeah have another question. is a wipe needed in order to upgrade OS?
    02-03-09 05:46 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay i have a question. Does crackmem work with DM 4.7? because you tut tells me install 4.5. I do not know if this just isn't up to date or if i need v4.5
    02-03-09 05:47 PM
    All I have ever done to upgrade my OS is plug in to desktop manager and hit update...
    02-03-09 10:59 PM
    no you do not have to wipe your handheld to do an update
    02-03-09 11:00 PM
    I just tried to update my 8900 to .152 with .133 radio, and it just reloaded the old OS i already had on there.

hmm. going to try it again
    02-17-09 07:19 PM
    im confused... i downloaded the new O.S... when i open it in my computer, a little black box comes up for a split second then dissappears... not sure what happens.... then i open my desktop manager with phone plugged into pc, and nothing happen
    02-22-09 01:09 PM
    Great tutorial, thanks! Unfortunately I lost all my 3rd party apps after following the steps though. Any ideas on how to get these back?

Edit: I was able to resolve the problem by finding the *pin.alx file that was located inside another folder as opposed to the .alx file that was alone when did the search files and folders. Thanks again for tutorial!
    Last edited by DrJeff; 03-01-09 at 08:58 PM.
    03-01-09 08:42 PM
    Thanks for posting these instructions. Very helpful.
    03-01-09 09:57 PM
    Thanks for this tutorial. I've had my Bold for a few weeks now and I think I want to try the newest OS. One question I had is, in the first post, it says to uninstall the old OS from your computer (through the add/remove programs feature)

When I try and uninstall the old OS, there's nothing to remove. I would guess that since I've never loaded a newer OS to the phone,that there wouldn't be anything to uninstall but I wanted to make sure before I try anything.
    03-02-09 01:39 PM
    same here. how do i know that the old os is gone
    03-03-09 01:21 PM
    Options --> About. Your OS version is on the first of three pages.
    03-06-09 12:02 AM
    After do a wipe with JLcmdr, may I load the OS using Loader.exe rather than DM? 'Cos if using DM, it always do a software updates check from the internet and take a long time. Is there any difference load OS with loader.exe and apploader within DM?

03-10-09 01:31 PM
    Hello cb users & abusers ok right to the point updated my os to 4.5 few weeks ago used my headphones that came w/shortly after started having issues ringer wouldn't ring but profile was on loud only vibrates dealt with it until missed important calls so to make a long stry shrt lastnight took it upon myself to wipe it and after that all heck broke loose can't load an os on the phone and im getting the infamous white screen w/ rectangle & cirle w/ line thru it TO SUM IT UP! 507 error code! help me pls! i have been up since yesterday morning im about to collapse! Thanks
    also getting this on my app loader wizard Unspecified error encountered [A:0x00000001]
    Last edited by LipSmakinGood; 03-10-09 at 02:36 PM.
    03-10-09 02:10 PM
    First post. And, yes, I did read all 27 pages before asking...

I just purchased a BB Pearl 8220 Flip (my first BB). It came loaded with 4.6.0.151. It appears that 4.6.0.404 is what is newly available (per the Sticky in the 8220 Forum).

My Desktop Manager says no update is available. Is there a reason to go from .151 to .404 or should I stay as is until my DM notifies me? I do NOT want to brick it.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by depassman; 03-10-09 at 03:06 PM. Reason: My first BB
    03-10-09 02:59 PM
    Disregard previous post. I decided to give it a try and install last night.

Everything was successful, and I have the v4.6.0.404 (Applications: 4.6.0.236) installed. But, having this thread did help!!
    03-11-09 11:41 AM
    Thanks for this tutorial. I've had my Bold for a few weeks now and I think I want to try the newest OS. One question I had is, in the first post, it says to uninstall the old OS from your computer (through the add/remove programs feature)

When I try and uninstall the old OS, there's nothing to remove. I would guess that since I've never loaded a newer OS to the phone,that there wouldn't be anything to uninstall but I wanted to make sure before I try anything.

BUMP... There is no old OS loaded on my PC, will I just need to load the new one on or do I still need to somehow uninstall the old one?
    03-11-09 02:52 PM
717 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD