when I download this new OS because I deleted the Vendor file will it stop sticking and freezing and moving rather slow?
    01-03-09 10:55 PM
    how do i down grade when i did the upgrade to the newest software i thought it save the old os but i dont see it any where in the application loader any help would be great this new os sucks and my phone keeps freezing thanks
    01-05-09 11:29 PM
    If you didn't remove your previous OS from your PC, it will still be there. Look in Control Panel Add / Remove programs and you will see it and the new OS. If you did remove it, but still have the exe file you downloaded, you can double-click that to install it again. Finally, if you uninstalled the OS AND deleted the exe, you will have to download the exe again. You should never delete the previous OS exe file when you upgrade, because you will need it to downgrade if the upgrade goes badly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 11:54 PM
    So, is there anyway I can brick my Curve permanently?
    If I mess up, can I just reload my original OS and try again?
    If I brick it, is it covered under my Sprint insurance?
    If I brick it, can I take it into a Sprint Store to have them fix it or reload the original OS?

Thanks!
    01-07-09 01:14 AM
    There's probably no way you can brick it permanently, short of a hardware failure. Assuming you have your original OS, you can always wipe the device and reload. Always be sure you have and keep the working OS before you upgrade. I don't know about the insurance coverage. If they accepted it, you'd get a refurb. Loading an unsupported OS will void your warranty. And finally, no, you probably can't get the OS reloaded at a store, but you can always reload it yourself.
    01-07-09 06:44 AM
    this upgrade was so easy i dont know how anyone can frick it up just follow direction it was simple, the only thing is when i get on my browser it gives me a pointer like a mouse, and when i go to "select mode" the cursor goes letter by letter whats up with that?
    Last edited by bigdaddy93077; 01-09-09 at 06:26 PM.
    01-09-09 03:46 PM
    Hello! i have been thr this whole thread and successfully wiped and reloaded the os on my pearl with one issue.

the pearl is from Alltel, i am trying to load the U.S. Cellular os on the phone. I used jl comander to wipe the os. uninstalled any blackberry related software on my pc and restarted the computer. installed DM 4.7 and restarted, installed the uscc os DLd from RIMs website v4.5.0.66 to the pc and restarted. made sure to delete the vendor file and the ran apploader to reload the os. however, when the pearl reboots it shows Alltel splash screen and everything in it is alltel.

feedback please? (and thanks!)
    01-09-09 11:08 PM
    ...the pearl is from Alltel, i am trying to load the U.S. Cellular os on the phone. ... however, when the pearl reboots it shows Alltel splash screen and everything in it is alltel. ...
    The carrier brand that shows when you boot up the device is in the boot ROM. You can't change it. Did the OS version change? The 3rd line in Options / About gives you the version. If it says 4.5.0.66 then you have successfully upgraded.
    01-10-09 08:00 AM
    The carrier brand that shows when you boot up the device is in the boot ROM. You can't change it. Did the OS version change? The 3rd line in Options / About gives you the version. If it says 4.5.0.66 then you have successfully upgraded.

yes, that was upgraded correctly. no way to change the boot rom, crap! really wanted to be able to change that.

thanks!
    01-10-09 10:45 AM
    hello, everyone I need help doing the upgrades for my new blackberry ,,,all help will be very helpfull thx
    01-11-09 01:07 AM
    Upgrading your OS is not difficult, but it is not trivial either. It will be much easier to do, and you will be much more likely to be successful, if you first get some basic familiarity with your BlackBerry. A good way to do that is to perform the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. Created by Forums Moderator Reed McLay, it will show you how to install your device OS on your PC, (which you have to do to upgrade your OS) and will help you optimize your free memory. It's a terrific tutorial procedure. Once you've done that, and understand what's going on, upgrading your OS will be much easier.

You should not attempt to upgrade the OS in the first 30 days that you own a new phone, simply because installing an OS other than the factory-supported OS will void your warranty and you will have to restore the factory OS before you can return your phone, should you find some other defect in it in the first 30 days. As an additional benefit, after using it for 30 days, you'll be much more likely to succeed when you do attempt the upgrade.
    01-11-09 06:57 AM
    Wow, I feel like I have a new phone!! thanks for all of the updates on this site
    (just updated to 4.5 on my 8830)
    01-13-09 12:49 AM
    Hello,

I have been a blackberry user for over two years now. I used the 8330 for uscellular for about 6 months before switching carriers. Here is my scenario:

I have two laptops. Laptop one still has blackberry desktop software installed from when I used my uscelluar curve. Do I need to uninstall it and reinstall it?

Laptop 2 has blackberry desktop software uninstalled but my c drive still has some directories pertaining to it.

I am about to get a Sprint curve brand new from my rep tomorrow. How should go about this?

I read about voiding the warranty which is definately not good. Can't I completely back up the device and revert back to the back up if i need to have warranty work done?

Would I be unable to use my previous curve back up data (to get apps that I had while with my ex carrier)? My previous curve had some version of 4.5 because my ex carrier was simple.

I have done plenty of back ups and switch device wizards before. I have also updated device software. But never have I had to deal with a carrier not having an offcial release for me to work with.
    01-13-09 04:04 PM
    Hello,

I have been a blackberry user for over two years now. I used the 8330 for uscellular for about 6 months before switching carriers. Here is my scenario:

I have two laptops. Laptop one still has blackberry desktop software installed from when I used my uscelluar curve. Do I need to uninstall it and reinstall it?

Laptop 2 has blackberry desktop software uninstalled but my c drive still has some directories pertaining to it.

I am about to get a Sprint curve brand new from my rep tomorrow. How should go about this?

I read about voiding the warranty which is definately not good. Can't I completely back up the device and revert back to the back up if i need to have warranty work done?

Would I be unable to use my previous curve back up data (to get apps that I had while with my ex carrier)? My previous curve had some version of 4.5 because my ex carrier was simple.

I have done plenty of back ups and switch device wizards before. I have also updated device software. But never have I had to deal with a carrier not having an offcial release for me to work with.
    A backup doesn't save the OS, so a restore won't restore the factory version. I would not install an unsupported OS for the first 30 days. That's your free return period. You don't want to take a chance that something will go wrong during the first 30 days that would disable your ability to restore the supported OS in order to return it for a free replacement phone. Something as simple, and as devastating, as the USB connector falling out would render your phone useless and you with no way to restore the OS.

After 30 days, the likelihood of infant mortality diminishes. And you're going to get a refurb, not a new phone. At that point, you may want to install the upgrade. Be sure you download the supported OS to your PC, so you have it available if you need to roll back. Then follow the normal upgrade procedures as you always do.
    01-13-09 10:02 PM
    The curve will be my replacement phone. I first got the instinct at my reps insistance. Only to find that once you go blackberry you cant go to another phone. So the curve will be my final phone.

If there is a way I can go back, I am not too worried about problems because I have used blackberries for a long time and I updated one to 4.5 back in august. My ex provider provided it back then.

I did not know I would get a refurbished model. I had thought it would be new.
    01-13-09 11:03 PM
    Yes, d/l the old OS, but don't install. Then uninstall the current. Then Install the old OS, delete the Vendor XML file, plug in BB, open DM.
    Hello Good Morning,

I have the bb sprint/nextel 8350i. I plan on returning it for many reasons. But one major reason is because I can not put themes on it. So I thought that I could not downgrade the os on a bb.

Is that possible??? And if so could I downgrade from 4.6 to 4.5??? On another forum 8350i I was told no. I appreciate any answers you give me. Thanks.
    01-14-09 07:57 AM
    hello i have an old trusty 8300 curve with is 4.2 is it really easy to upgrade and should i upgrade to 4.6
    01-14-09 03:17 PM
    Read the cautions in the first post. Then re-read them. They're there for your protection. Upgrading is not hard, but it's not trivial either. If you haven't done it already, the Memory Optimization Procedure is a good task to perform first to get the familiarity you need to successfully upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 04:22 PM
    I have done upgrading the BOLD firmware to 4.6.216, but when I do option- mobile networks-menu- tools-ping, I got this: Uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPoinerException.
    I do JL Commander, It wipe until 507 ERROR, reinstall the OS and I still get that message.
    What should I do?
    Thanks
    01-16-09 09:17 AM
    Well it was easy breezy between the Storm .86 and me for a good while -- no problems that a simple battery pull wouldn't fix, then I went and tried to delete VZ Navigator... When I restarted the device I got the App Error 200 screen. DM does not recognize any device.

I have tried working the JL_cmdr wipe but have not had any luck getting it to work. (I progress to the "type blackberry" (to wipe) command, and do so, but afterwards the process reverts back to the "Which JavaLoader Command..." prompt and maintains that loop).

Is CrackMem the way to go from here?

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

-- FS
    01-19-09 01:45 AM
    Thank you.

I have followed these tutorial step by step... Now I was successfully downgrade my OS and re-upgrade to get Doct To GO...

Guys... you all GREAT !!!
    01-19-09 07:02 AM
    Thank you..!! I had the problem to upgrade my bb... but now you help me to solve it.

Thank you and Pete6!
    01-19-09 12:45 PM
    I am considering doing an upgrade to my 8120, but have a question regarding step 7.

7. Wipe your handheld HowTo Wipe with JL_cmdr or use CrackMem (See footnote warning)

now, does that mean if I use CrackMem then I should not wipe with JL_cmdr? Or should I still wipe?
    01-19-09 02:54 PM
    Thank you very much for the clear concise instructions. I put my engineer hat aside and followed them exactly, and voila, everything worked as you predicted. Thank you very much for posting the updates and the instructions. Well Done!
    01-19-09 03:53 PM
    I am considering doing an upgrade to my 8120, but have a question regarding step 7.

7. Wipe your handheld HowTo Wipe with JL_cmdr or use CrackMem (See footnote warning)

now, does that mean if I use CrackMem then I should not wipe with JL_cmdr? Or should I still wipe?
    CrackMem and JL_Cmder wipe in exactly the same way. I recommend you use CrackMem for the wipe and the rest of the procedure. It's got a more intuitive interface and an excellent help file written by the developer, Pete6. Be sure you read it if you have any questions.
    01-19-09 06:39 PM
717 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD