I followed your instructions to a "T" including wiping out the JL Cmder and it all worked perfectly! I was so scared and spent most of my night working on this but I do now have the new OS 4.5 on my Pearl and thus very happy!

Thanks so much
    11-05-08 09:49 PM
    Thanks so much, Jeff. I got my original 2.2 installation disk, re-installed and upgraded back to 4.6.

You da man.
    11-05-08 11:51 PM
    yes leave the battery out of the device and plug it into your PC USB port via your Blackberry cord and reload the OS with the application loader
    11-08-08 09:07 PM
    How long does the whole procedure take? My computer has been stuck on the "uploading RAM image" for about 40 minutes...Is that normal?
    11-09-08 05:07 AM
    40 minutes isn't so long i wold have thought, I've seen feedback that it takes some people up to 90mins, and that a normal OS upgrade can take 40mins, nevermind a complete install
    11-09-08 05:46 AM
    Well after 1 hour, I started over and it took about 20 minutes total. So far so good!
    11-09-08 05:56 AM
    Thank you JeffH; I finally upgrade my os to 4.5 and its working good and fast
    11-09-08 12:06 PM
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I just followed the suggestions from the first post in this forum STEP by STEP, and installed 4.5.0.77 from VZW on my 8130.... now my password keeper, and memo pad is gone. Can anyone please help me?
    11-11-08 06:50 PM
    It sounds like Password Keeper and Memo just didn't get checked when you loaded your new OS. Run Desktop Manager App Loader and check the boxes for these two apps. App Loader will install them for you. You may need to restore your backup to recover the contents of the Password Keeper. If you had the Memos synched your PC, they should come back when you install the app.
    11-11-08 07:09 PM
    It sounds like Password Keeper and Memo just didn't get checked when you loaded your new OS. Run Desktop Manager App Loader and check the boxes for these two apps. App Loader will install them for you. You may need to restore your backup to recover the contents of the Password Keeper. If you had the Memos synched your PC, they should come back when you install the app.

Thank you very much!!! Jeff, you are a lifesaver!!!!
    11-11-08 07:28 PM
    When uninstalling previous OS's, are they located in the add/remove programs? If so, wha is the file name? I see nothing that looks like the OS to uninstall.

Here is my issue. I downloaded .190 but didnt like it. I then downloaded .185. When I tried to downgrade to .185 it insalled .190 instead. So, how do I install .185 when both are my computer. I deleted all the contents of the apploader folder prior to downloading .185 but it still installed .190.
    Last edited by garment69; 11-12-08 at 08:33 AM.
    11-12-08 08:09 AM
    You'll have to uninstall .190 before you can install .185. The App Loader will always load the latest OS installed on your PC. It will be listed in the Add/Remove programs list and will have a name like "BlackBerry v4.n.n.n for the 8330 Series Wireless Device." I can't tell you exactly since I don't have the software.
    11-12-08 10:11 AM
    It should say something like "blackberry device software for model xxxx" in add/remove programs. You can also download Crackmem (do a search here) and select whichever OS you wanted to upgrade/downgrade to from there. works like a charm!
    11-12-08 10:50 AM
    It is awsome information from this forum.

I have bought my 8310 AT&T last week. Happened to see this forum. And today I am installed with )S 4.5, A video recorder, voice recorder and many more.

Its working flawlessly and very happy with it now. As I was cursing RIM for making such an advanced phone with such limitations such as no recording devices.

The complete list of actions I performed.

1. Installed blackberry desktop manager 4.6
    2. downloaded and saved OS 4.5 from other carriers ( vodaphone) as AT& T hasnt released it yet.
    3. Installed OS 4.5 on my PC ( windows Vista).
    4. Deleted vendor.xml
    5. connected my 8310 through USB.
    6. Took backup of the phone using desktop manager.
    7. Removed the SIM and Battery ( removed battery because when I had my battery on, it did not recognize the new updates).
    8. Then click on App Loader. It shows OS 4.5 with many items which are un seleected in drop down list. Carefully selected all I wanted.
    9. Clicked next. It starts removing applications installed on the BB.
    10. Attached SIM and Battery to the BB while the installation is in progress.

It took 30 min or so for reconnecting to the phone. Then boom.its all done.
    10. I have My phone with New OS 4.5.

I havent used any application eraser software such as Jl_Cmder.

Have fun.
    11-14-08 09:06 AM
    Not sure if this is the place, Does anyone know how to "hack" the verizon blackberry curve to enable the GPS to actually work?" This day in age, someone muct have the ability to do so, I was thinking it had to do with the host routing table? PLease help i am very curious
    11-14-08 09:14 AM
    Not sure if this is the place, Does anyone know how to "hack" the verizon blackberry curve to enable the GPS to actually work?" This day in age, someone muct have the ability to do so, I was thinking it had to do with the host routing table? PLease help i am very curious
    Wrong forum, and no you can't. Here's the full story: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/
    You'll need a full pot of coffee and some patience, but it's worth reading.
    11-14-08 09:16 AM
    I read all 20 pages of your proper upgrade/downgrade post-- wonderful. I'm fairly new to this, so your warning scared me off of a total rebuild with your well-written procedure. I'm a 3rd grade teacher... not a techie.

I am trying to use DM 4.6 to install Verizon's official 4.5 OS on a Pearl 8130, downloaded straight from VZW.

The DM is opening AppLoader and searching for device software: I select 4.3 core apps.
    After selecting, the PC searches, and then politely informs me through DM: "No software update is required for your device." Hogwash! 4.5 has been saved & run.

I'm Stumped. I read through probably a hundred other posts too... one mentioned to delete the apploader file, and I tried that, but it made no difference, so I reinstalled DM 4.6. I've reinstalled the 4.5 OS file a couple of times, too, hoping that might help.

Any thoughts? TIA.
    11-14-08 09:50 PM
    I don't understand what you're describing. If you've installed OS4.5, you should not be selecting OS4.3 core apps. The App Loader should see OS4.5, without you having to select it. After you downloaded OS4.5, did you double-click the exe to install it on your PC? Do you have one, two, or three BlackBerry files in your Windows Control panel Add/Remove Programs list? What are those filenames?
    11-15-08 09:38 AM
    I KNOW it doesn't sound right through AppLoader, that, I believe is the problem! I did install the 4.5 os (and then uninstalled and reinstalled with a new download just to be sure once it didn't work.) AppLoader just doesn't find it!

I have listed in add remove programs:
    Desktop Software 4.6
    Device software 4.3
    Device software 4.5
    Media sync

For whatever reason, AppLoader isn't pulling his share. I tried Browsing for the file and selecting it, and it still reports "no upgrade". I AM smarter than this machine!!
    Thanks, JeffH.
    11-15-08 12:50 PM
    You could try removing 4.3. You should not have to. Be sure you still have the 4.3 exe file available on your PC for reinstalling if you need to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 01:51 PM
    Thank you sooo much for the thread. I almost toss my phone without making sure some certain steps.. Thanks.
    11-15-08 09:20 PM
    Thanks for the detailed instructions. I've had my Curve since July and the step-by-step instructions worked flawlessly!
    11-16-08 02:31 PM
    Deleting the vendor xml file got everything flowing. Thanks for the help, Jeff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 06:07 PM
    If I want to wipe clean and update the OS then go and restore data using the back up restore will this also restore the old OS or will it just transfer user data? I will need to roll back my OS but would first like to back uip and wipe then upgrade then restore data!

Thanks
    11-19-08 09:46 AM
    Restoring the backup will restore your user data, not the OS. Backup, roll-back, restore as you planned will work.
    11-19-08 10:11 AM
717 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD