Something must've gone wrong, because when I downgraded my OS today, everything transferred over except my address book, and I tried loading an old back up from the 10th, and the address book still didn't load. I don't know what's going on. Does anybody have any solutions/tips?
    10-20-08 10:40 PM
    thanks for sharing this, veyr useful indeed.cheers
    10-20-08 11:58 PM
    jesus christ this seemed scary..

just up'ed to 4.5 thanks to your thourough guide!

to all the newbs do your research, search your questions and then just keep this thread up when you take the plunge..

Thanks mclure!
    10-22-08 08:49 AM
    just wanting to upgrade to 4.5 on an alltel pearl and i understand all of the deleting the vendor files and such but does it matter what version of desktop manager I have? Im a windows mobile master and am new to bb's and am at a loss on some of these techniques. can i use v4.3 to load a 4.5 os?
    10-22-08 12:37 PM
    No, the Desktop Manager version doesn't matter. You can use DTM 4.3 to load OS4.5. That said, I found DTM 4.5 to be better than DTM 4.3. I recommend you upgrade to DTM 4.5, but it is not necessary to do so in order to install OS4.5
    10-22-08 12:39 PM
    Exactly as Jeff said! You can use whatever DM you like for the load process, but I have also found more recent versions to be more "stable" and "complete" in the upgrade process

I should actually upgrade the original tutorial to include links for the latest DM (4.6).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 12:42 PM
    Exactly as Jeff said! You can use whatever DM you like for the load process, but I have also found more recent versions to be more "stable" and "complete" in the upgrade process

I should actually upgrade the original tutorial to include links for the latest DM (4.6).

thnx to the both for the quick response. I get my curve this friday and my uncle has the pearl and i was gonna load the 4.5 and have been reading but never really seen that asked. I come from htc so im familiar with all the junk, hard to start a new addiction, with windows i could just extract files and delete out of the ruu's but with bb's i see it is diff so let the new addiction begin.
    10-22-08 01:07 PM
    thnx to the both for the quick response. I get my curve this friday and my uncle has the pearl and i was gonna load the 4.5 and have been reading but never really seen that asked. I come from htc so im familiar with all the junk, hard to start a new addiction, with windows i could just extract files and delete out of the ruu's but with bb's i see it is diff so let the new addiction begin.
    BlackBerries are very different from Windows Mobile devices. No matter how experienced you are on WinMo, I'd recommend you not attempt an OS upgrade for the first 30 days. It's not trivial, and it can make your device inop if it goes badly. That's recoverable, but it's a hassle. For the first 30 days you own your new BlackBerry, you can exchange it for new one, as long as you haven't voided your warranty. Installing an unsupported OS voids the warranty. So if you find some defect in your device, then you have to roll back to the factory OS before you can exchange it. Another hassle. Better to give yourself 30 days and during that time perform the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. That'll teach you a lot about the device and the OS, and help you get ready to perform an OS upgrade much more easily.
    10-22-08 01:17 PM
    so if all goes well with the upgrade and then i decide to switch back to a stock os such as 4.3 thats on it now or 4.5 that alltel may come out with then i will just run as the same except not delete the xml file correct?

edit: well you can still answer this ? but as of right now i am rockin 4.5 on the pearl! Everything is easy when you follow instructions!
    10-22-08 04:00 PM
    so i used the application loader to update my software...i forgot to backup...does the uploader automatically backup before updatein OS? and if so where is that data stored on my PC? I lost my phonebook wish i would've read this first!
    10-22-08 05:41 PM
    Jeff, after upgrade from old os to 4.5 how do you get service books resent?
    10-25-08 03:26 PM
    The email setup wizard has an option to resend service books. Also, you can send them from some carrier's BIS websites. Verizon's for example. Finally, you can usually call customer service and get them sent.

10-25-08 04:18 PM
    Thank you.
    10-25-08 07:22 PM
    I installed 4.5 last night used the directions above. It went perfect everything works, no data loss and you tube was kinda slow but what do you expect from tryn to get a good signal in the middle of the gulf of mexico!! thanxx again for pointers.
    ARe there any good free apps that will now work with the new os?? that wouldnt work with 4.2?
    10-26-08 12:41 PM
    after much research throughout the site I finally cracked and did the upgrade using these instructions and suggested apps... everything went as stated. AWESOME

thanks for all the help guys

now im on to get this darn 8830 to have a louder ringer!!!
    10-31-08 03:54 AM
    I've been lurking for 6 months and this is my first post. Thanks for the great info on the upgrade. I'm a former Suncom -- now T-Mobile -- 8310 user. T-Mo does not have the upgrade to 4.5 for the 8310 (since they never offered the phone, I guess). So, I got the file for Rogers. I've deleted the vendor.xml file, backed-up everything, and think I'm ready to go. My concern is that I'm using BES. I see discussion about getting BES reactivated. The guy who handles our BES stuff at my company is out for 4 days. If I upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5, will my email/calendar/address book work without reactivation, or will I need to get my phone reactivated? If so, then I'll wait until mid-week when he gets back.

Thanks for your advice and for the great directions.
    11-01-08 11:02 PM
    It is possible to upgrade without having to reactivate your BES. Here's a thread that explains the circumstances under which it's possible: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/dow...ion-bes-79552/

The technique works. I've experienced it myself, as I report in the thread. That said, I would not upgrade on a Saturday night, even if my BES guy was going to be in the office on Monday morning. And I wouldn't risk my connectivity until mid-week, as you would be. It's your call.
    11-01-08 11:30 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. I'm going to wait until mid-week -- a loss of connectivity would be bad. A few more days is not a big deal. I am looking forward to being able to access more than 4 GB of my memory card! I'll report in once its done. Thanks!
    11-02-08 07:48 AM
    Hi all. New to the forum and definitely impressed with the expertise and collaboration.

Here's my problem but, beforehand -- my tools: I have an 8310 with OS 4.2.2170. I do NOT use a BES.

I followed the directions originally posted here about updating the DM (I had 4.2.2. and was trying to upgrade to 4.6). No luck (and, yes, I followed specifically -- even delated the vendor xml. )

So. I thereafter deleted the DM entirely (using add/remove and following it by trashing remaining folders). Then I tried to run the DM 4.6 exe (which I had already dowloaded).

Problem.

During the install, I received the following error:

Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\Blackberry Desktop Software.msi."

When I checked, of course, no such file.

Any thoughts/suggestions are gratefully appreciated and thanks again.

Hossra
    11-03-08 07:53 AM
    ...Here's my problem but, beforehand -- my tools: I have an 8310 with OS 4.2.2170. I do NOT use a BES.

I followed the directions originally posted here about updating the DM (I had 4.2.2. and was trying to upgrade to 4.6). No luck (and, yes, I followed specifically -- even delated the vendor xml. )

So. I thereafter deleted the DM entirely (using add/remove and following it by trashing remaining folders). Then I tried to run the DM 4.6 exe (which I had already dowloaded).

Problem.

During the install, I received the following error:

Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\Blackberry Desktop Software.msi."

When I checked, of course, no such file.

Any thoughts/suggestions are gratefully appreciated and thanks again.

Hossra
    It seems like you may be confusing the device's operating system with Desktop Manager, DM. The latest version of DM is 4.6. The 4.2.2.170 that you mention is an operating system version number. While there is an OS 4.6, it does not exist for the 8310.

The procedure you are following is intended to help you upgrade your OS, not DM. At the top of the 83xx forum is a sticky that tells the latest OS for the 8310. Find that software. That's what you want to install.

Installing an OS is not difficult, but it isn't trivial either. You'd probably be better off getting some familiarity with the BlackBerry operating environment before attempting it. The CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in several sigs is a good place to start.

11-03-08 09:11 AM
    My apologies, Jeff. I have NO problems with my device OS. I only mentioned it for reference.

My problem lies exclusively with the DM. I tried to upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.6. Looks nice but not working. I then followed the guidance re upgrade/downgrade to return to using the 4.2.2. DM. So far no luck (hence the error message).

Thanks again.
    11-03-08 09:31 AM
    My apologies, Jeff. I have NO problems with my device OS. I only mentioned it for reference.

My problem lies exclusively with the DM. I tried to upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.6. Looks nice but not working. I then followed the guidance re upgrade/downgrade to return to using the 4.2.2. DM. So far no luck (hence the error message).

Thanks again.
    If you're only trying to upgrade DM, you don't need to delete the vendor.xml file. That's a step in the OS procedure. DM 4.2, if you can find it, is a very old version. You really should be running at least 4.5. I still think you're conflating the OS and DM procedures.

All you have to do to install a new DM is download it and install it. You don't even have to delete the previous version. There's no other procedure needed.

11-03-08 09:39 AM
    I have a question about steps 10/11 of the original post: restoring from backups. I have the 4.6 DM, and it apparently backs up the system, and the apps, and restores them as part of the upgrade. The only thing that seems horked afterward is most apps, when I run them to test, behave as though I had just installed them (agree/disagree to EULA, enter account name/password, etc.) and one (RepliGo) required me to re-enter my purchase activation code.

Is that just the nature of the beast, or would doing the second set of manual restores reset all the apps to their pre-backup state? It's not as cut-and-dried to me as it might seem, since I got the impression 4.6 doing the backup/restore might be a new thing that obviates some of the original instructions.
    11-03-08 10:25 AM
    It's been my experience that 3rd party apps think they're being installed for the first time. It hasn't caused me a problem, but you do have to have your registration info available.

Let me qualify that by saying I've only upgraded between OS 4.2 versions. I don't have any experience with OS 4.5 or higher.

11-03-08 10:31 AM
    Nevermind, I figured my question out.
    Last edited by betlbum2; 11-05-08 at 01:16 PM.
    11-05-08 12:11 PM
717 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD