I went to the blackberry site (blackberry.com/eng/services/devices/#tab_tab_upgrade]BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software) hit the upgrade and it went through all the motions but when I look at About it still says I am running 4.2.2.170. I'd really like to load 4.5.0.81. Where is everyone getting the new version? I was afraid to load the one that said it is for Australia and Fiji.
    09-30-08 10:48 AM
    According to the sticky in the 83xx forum, 4.5.0.81 is presently available from the Australia source. Read that sticky for yourself and decide if you want to go through with it. It is possible to run an OS from any vendor, as long as it is for your specific hardware. Don't do it (with any OS from any source) if you're not comfortable with the process.
    09-30-08 11:16 AM
    According to the sticky in the 83xx forum, 4.5.0.81 is presently available from the Australia source. Read that sticky for yourself and decide if you want to go through with it. It is possible to run an OS from any vendor, as long as it is for your specific hardware. Don't do it (with any OS from any source) if you're not comfortable with the process.
    Thanks Jeff. My Motorola phone was from Europe and had words that were spelt non-traditional to the US and I just didn't want to end up like that again if I used the Australia site. You would think that when an upgrade is released they would make it global.
    Pat
    09-30-08 11:39 AM
    Two factors are in play re language and spelling. As you know, RIM is a Canadian company, so you will see the Canadian spelling of words like memoury on device menus. As far as the language you use, you can select English or US English, so your spelling checker will accept memoury or memory, whichever you prefer. The OS itself is global in that regard.
    09-30-08 11:45 AM
    Thank you so much for this, I just successfully completed my first OS update with only a few minor hold-ups!

You have no idea how much I appreciated reading this post, thanks to all for your info.. later!
    09-30-08 09:31 PM
    Thank you so much for this, I just successfully completed my first OS update with only a few minor hold-ups!

You have no idea how much I appreciated reading this post, thanks to all for your info.. later!
    Congrats on your first OS upgrade!! Glad the guide helped and your install went smoothly
    09-30-08 09:46 PM
    After installing latest upgraded OS (Vodaphone) on ATT Curve 8310 on my Vista computer I cannot get the desktop manager to start. It did not create an icon and double clicking on the Desktop manager .exe file does not start the software.
    10-02-08 05:40 AM
    Successfully downgraded to ATT's official OS. Had too many minor issues with the 4.5. I'm just going to wait for the official release. Thanks for the write-up!
    10-02-08 03:01 PM
    Hello.....just followed all these instructions but my blackberry continues to auto reset itself over and over again....please help
    10-03-08 08:23 PM
    Anyone knows how to do very clean install without any providers left overs? I upgrade my BB bold to .147 or .162 and it still have these T-Mobile left overs. Some people in the forum experience that they can choose 2G only, 3G only and 2G / 3G (Rogers) but from the T-Mobile they only can choose 2G and 2G/3G.

How can we choose which providers to choose? I installed my Desktop Manager from the CD provided by T-Mobile. Is that one of the reason why the T-Mobile defaults are there? I'm really curious.

Any helps would be great!
    10-03-08 08:36 PM
    i was looking in my add/remove programs and the only BB software is desktop software 4.2.2. is that the old operating system i need to uninstall first? i downloaded the new OS from the links, but when i click on it to run, it prompts me then says "error reading setup initialization file" what does this mean? to be honest im having trouble figuring this procedure out how to upgrade. im still running v4.2.2.18. would you guys suggest to go call tmobile tech support and they could help me step by step or can you guys help? thanks
    10-04-08 11:14 PM
    ccarley: try restarting both your PC and your 8320.

Then reinstall the 4.5 OS, delete the vendor.xml file as
    instructed and try it again.

Do not delete your old OS in case for some reason you need to
    rollback from 4.5

And since TMobile has not officially released this OS version in the US
    they are not going to assist you with this at all.
    10-04-08 11:24 PM
    Hi . . . I read through all of the 16 pages of posts. I thought I followed the directions exactly, but I seem to have screwed up somewhere. This is the first time that I have tried to upgrade my software. And I even think I know what I did . . . I backed up my phone via the DM, and then I backed up the third party apps. Then I went through and uninstalled the Blackberry software on my computer. I have a feeling that I was only supposed to do the device software and not the Desktop Manager, but I uninstalled the DM too. Then I installed the device software that I downloaded, but I cannot do anything with it . . . So I am downloading the DM software from AT&T again. Can anyone tell me if what I am doing seems right? My phone is currently plugged into my computer, but it has a white screen with a circle and a slash through it. Also, did I totally screw up and delete all of my data from my phone (aside from the third party apps)?

Thank you!
    10-09-08 05:15 PM
    I was following procedures for Updating OS and It says to delete old OS from PC well I cannot find an old OS. I can see the new one I just downloaded but not the old one.
    10-09-08 09:59 PM
    I have looked and cannot find it. Is it possible that it's not on my PC? also. I have followed all your steps trying to upgrade and it is not working. any ideas why? thanks in advance.
    10-09-08 10:00 PM
    It's entirely possible you don't have your previous OS installed. You should at least download it, though, before you install a new one, so you have something to roll back to in the event the upgrade doesn't work.
    10-09-08 10:15 PM
    I answered you in your other post. It would be better to keep all your questions here, where the original author is more likely to see them. I will move that post here.
    10-09-08 10:33 PM
    After installing latest upgraded OS (Vodaphone) on ATT Curve 8310 on my Vista computer I cannot get the desktop manager to start. It did not create an icon and double clicking on the Desktop manager .exe file does not start the software.
    Was DesktopManager working before? Go into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and see if DesktopManager is installed. If not, make sure you install DesktopManager... sometimes people confuse this with the device drivers and do not install the desktop software

Successfully downgraded to ATT's official OS. Had too many minor issues with the 4.5. I'm just going to wait for the official release. Thanks for the write-up!
    Congrats on a successful downgrade! Glad the guide helped out...

Hello.....just followed all these instructions but my blackberry continues to auto reset itself over and over again....please help
    Attempt to load the OS again, this will usually fix this issue.

I have looked and cannot find it. Is it possible that it's not on my PC? also. I have followed all your steps trying to upgrade and it is not working. any ideas why? thanks in advance.
    If you never installed another OS onto your PC then the only OS should be the latest one you just installed. Go into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and check what OSes are installed

As for the OS not loading, make sure you follow these instructions to the t and you will be fine. Vendor.xml file seems like your problem
    10-09-08 10:41 PM
    Ok, I was right. I screwed up by uninstalling the desktop manager AND the device software. My phone is now up and (basically) running. These steps were easy to follow (except for the one mistake that I made . . . but that was just me). Thank you for posting such clear instructions!
    10-09-08 11:53 PM
    Another happy upgrader. Thanks for the guide.
    10-15-08 12:32 PM
    I just want to thank you for the killer guide!

I upgraded my os from 4.3.0.65 (telus release) to 4.5.0.77 (cellular south release) following this guide and it was flawless. I even have more space on my device with all the same apps installed.

Note for Vista users: The only problem I've had and thought I should mention is at first the new os didn't show up as an upgrade option in DM even though I had deleted the vendor.xml. Disabling UAC and rebooting windows solved the issue.
    10-15-08 01:15 PM
    The upgrade/downgrade process detailed on page 1 states that it will retain all data and applications. Will it also retain all settings? And if I perform this upgrade VPN'd into the company network, will BES Enterprise Activation need to be performed again?
    10-20-08 10:18 AM
    I'm not aware of any settings that are not backed up. You do have to be careful to backup 3rd party apps according to the procedure.

I just learned today from reading this post: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/dow...ion-bes-79552/ that you will not be required to reactivate your BES if you upgrade while connected to your BES. However, you should still notify your BES Admins. They will know that you have upgraded, so there's no point in causing them to think you were trying to bypass them. In addition, there is a slight risk that the BES version you are on may be incompatible with the BlackBerry OS you are going to install. I have that problem. If you do, you want to find out before you upgrade and break your connectivity.
    10-20-08 01:17 PM
    So you're saying all settings are reverted to the default setting? I will lose all the ringtone associations for my contacts, mail settings, etc... basically any setting that I have adjusted from the default? I can't believe those are not retained!
    10-20-08 01:44 PM
    So you're saying all settings are reverted to the default setting? I will lose all the ringtone associations for my contacts, mail settings, etc... basically any setting that I have adjusted from the default? I can't believe those are not retained!
    No, that is not what I said at all. Re-read my post. I am not aware of any settings that are not backed up. That is not the same as saying they all revert to defaults. Upgrading an OS is not trivial, and you must follow the instructions exactly or you will fail. If you read the instructions as carelessly as you read my post, you'll have problems.
    10-20-08 01:49 PM
717 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD