Just upgrade to .52 and it feels great. I didn't have much to back up so I am going to reconfigure everything manually. So far so good!
    08-11-08 10:14 AM
    Just upgrade to .52 and it feels great. I didn't have much to back up so I am going to reconfigure everything manually. So far so good!
    Awesome man!! Glad it went smoothly for ya
    08-11-08 10:17 AM
    I have what may appear to be a stupid question. I am contemplating upgrading to 4.5. I have read through the user manaul a couple of time, and read about deleting the vendor xml file. Do I delete this file right after I run the exe file and before I plug by BB in to do the upgrade. so essentially

1) upgrade my DM manager to 4.5
    2) download the correct OS exe file
    3) run the exe file
    4) delete the vendor file
    5) pulg bb in to the DM to do the upgrade
    08-13-08 10:00 PM
    ^^ Yes, that is absolutely correct, if you are following the BB 101 Lecture Series procedure

You can either do it that way, or follow my steps... which I have explained in detail. Either way works
    08-13-08 10:33 PM
    Will wiping my BB and then reinstalling via this process restore the missing service book entries to my phone?
    08-14-08 04:26 PM
    Will wiping my BB and then reinstalling via this process restore the missing service book entries to my phone?
    You can restore missing service books without even going through this entire process!!

Go Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > highlight a nonbold entry in the list > Menu > Register Now

And please take this discussion elsewhere, as it is not related to this thread

This tutorial relates directly to Upgrade/Downgrade Procedure... and your question is not related and will HiJack the thread. Thank You and I hope that helps out.
    08-14-08 04:30 PM
    Well, after all the great reports about the latest 4.5 versions, and wanting Docs to Go, I took the plunge. I followed all the directions on "Proper upgrading and downgrading" and 3rd party software backup and removal.

Results? Everything went fine, until it came time for the App Loader to do its thing. Then, it proceeded to nuke my Blackberry. Not worried. There's a great writeup on how to reinstall an OS on a nuked Blackberry. Followed the directions - and no dice. Each time the App Loader said it was accessing the device ROM, the Blackberry would reboot, and continue rebooting.

After a few tries, I uninstalled 4.5, and reinstalled the original 4.3 to my computer. Result? OS 4.3 loaded just fine. All is well.

And, yes. I deleted the Vendor file as part of the prep.

I guess I'll wait for the official VZW OS 4.5. 8^|

i'm having the same problems. but don't want to give up yet...
    i can reinstall my original OS (4.2) but have problems everytime i try an put 4.5 in.
    anyone think they know what the problem is?
    08-14-08 06:21 PM
    i had deleted the vendor.xml file before i installed the 4.5 os. and for some reason i cant get desktop manager to update with the new os. what could be the problem?
    08-17-08 12:36 AM
    i had deleted the vendor.xml file before i installed the 4.5 os. and for some reason i cant get desktop manager to update with the new os. what could be the problem?
    You have to delete that file after you install the new OS. If your old OS
    was on your device and you deleted the file and then installed the OS 4.5
    that file would have been recreated.
    08-17-08 01:42 AM
    I can't upgrade it at all. Is there a way to get a vendor file on there again?
    08-17-08 06:54 PM
    Sigh... new to blackberry... I've followed your directions to the "T" but I still can't get the OS to take... just trying to go to 4.5 on the 8320 curve. any help is appreciated...

PS. WTH RIM no flash?!?!?.... /cry
    Last edited by Afterfreeze; 08-18-08 at 09:37 PM.
    08-18-08 09:34 PM
    Sigh... new to blackberry... I've followed your directions to the "T" but I still can't get the OS to take... just trying to go to 4.5 on the 8320 curve. any help is appreciated...

PS. WTH RIM no flash?!?!?.... /cry

How about some more details....What have you tried etc?
    08-18-08 09:53 PM
    well i tried got the official release from RIM and went at it... even tried the absolute bare minimum install options, eliminated my 3rd party software... and all that jazz... I deleted the old
    */shared/loaders folders because it said it didn't need upgrades... keep getting "core components are missing" after multiple uninstall/reinstall attempts and even a few HARD removals (ie registry check on my vista, deleting all of the old keys...) oh yeah i'm using 4.5 DTM. bleh it's doubly frustratingly because i'm an IT with 9 years experience... It's gonna drive me absolutely insane until i figure it out now... not because i "have to have 4.5" but because It's not working like i want it too... lol

PS thanks for the speedy response.
    08-18-08 10:04 PM
    well i tried got the official release from RIM and went at it... even tried the absolute bare minimum install options, eliminated my 3rd party software... and all that jazz... I deleted the old
    */shared/loaders folders because it said it didn't need upgrades... keep getting "core components are missing" after multiple uninstall/reinstall attempts and even a few HARD removals (ie registry check on my vista, deleting all of the old keys...) oh yeah i'm using 4.5 DTM. bleh it's doubly frustratingly because i'm an IT with 9 years experience... It's gonna drive me absolutely insane until i figure it out now... not because i "have to have 4.5" but because It's not working like i want it too... lol

PS thanks for the speedy response.
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand the part about deleting */shared/loader folders. The only thing you should of deleted is the vendor xml.
    08-18-08 10:08 PM
    Ok so i followed the directions word for word... but after loading the OS (4.5) and installing it (and of course deleting the vendor.xml, I still can't upgrade... Desktop manager (4.5) says "No software update is required for your device." i'm currently with Tmobile and running OS ver. 4.2.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Afterfreeze; 08-20-08 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typos
    08-20-08 03:57 PM
    Ok so i followed the directions word for word... but after loading the OS (4.5) and installing it (and of course deleting the vendor.xml, I still can't upgrade... Desktop manager (4.5) says "No software update is required for your device." i'm currently with Tmobile and running OS ver. 4.2.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    This means you are missing a step somewhere. Open DM>Help>About>Device Software Tab and what is the information it has listed?
    08-20-08 04:51 PM
    Can someone help me out! I have a blackberry curve 8310 with AT&T, what is the latest software I can up grade to... right now its at 4.2 platform 2.5 or something like that
    08-21-08 12:57 AM
    Can someone help me out! I have a blackberry curve 8310 with AT&T, what is the latest software I can up grade to... right now its at 4.2 platform 2.5 or something like that
    Stoner's Procedure, linked in my sig, includes steps to take you to the latest officially released OS. Perform that and you'll get the latest OS installed and free up memory as well. Upgrading your OS is non-trivial. You don't have to do it, and you shouldn't until you are comfortable with your device and understand the steps.
    08-21-08 01:14 AM
    Ok, so i know I'm about to get some laughs on this.... thanks for all of your help. I had the right OS but for the wrong version of the curve... device is finally updating... Thanks again...
    08-21-08 04:33 AM
    Ok, so i know I'm about to get some laughs on this.... thanks for all of your help. I had the right OS but for the wrong version of the curve... device is finally updating... Thanks again...
    No ones going to laugh. It can get confusing sometimes. At least you
    figured it out and are on your way.
    08-21-08 09:57 AM
    I wanted to know something. Before I did the install, I did not have a Blackberry OS installed on my system. I installed the original CD but the OS was only on the device. What I wanted to know was if once the device has been updated, if I can now go to Add/Remove Programs and delete the current OS. I do not know if the OS needs to remain on my PC since the device has successfully been updated.

Thanks for the instructions they worked fine with the exception of there not being an OS already installed on my machine despite installing the components on the original CD.
    08-21-08 10:19 AM
    The device OS doesn't come on the distribution CD. You have to get that from the download site, so your experience is normal in that respect.

You should leave the device OS installed on your PC. You will need it if you want to install other apps later.
    08-21-08 10:30 AM
    The device OS doesn't come on the distribution CD. You have to get that from the download site, so your experience is normal in that respect.

You should leave the device OS installed on your PC. You will need it if you want to install other apps later.
    Other apps like what? I am not sure what you mean because previously I could add other apps like brick breaker which was not on my bberry, but I did not have to add the OS in order to add that.
    08-21-08 10:53 AM
    I'm having sooo much trouble! right now my stupid computer and blackberry don't want to connect through USB... what do I do! I'm so frustrated!
    08-21-08 12:47 PM
    I'm having sooo much trouble! right now my stupid computer and blackberry don't want to connect through USB... what do I do! I'm so frustrated!
    Ok, first is , CLAM DOWN and RELAX. I know it's frustrating, and you're worried but it will be ok. Now, what exactly is the problem and tell me all the steps that have been preformed thus far.
    08-21-08 01:13 PM
717 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD