thank you for the information
    07-29-08 08:44 PM
    Many thanks for this write up - if you follow it step by step - it will work without incident. Thanks again!

im now enjoying 4.5! woohoo!
    thank you for the information
    No problem guys! Glad it helped
    07-29-08 08:54 PM
    do i need to remove the media card before upgrading? do not want to lose anything
    07-30-08 09:29 AM
    do i need to remove the media card before upgrading? do not want to lose anything
    Nope... I have never taken out my microSD during an OS install
    07-30-08 09:33 AM
    Well, I did my 8830 with the card in, but I suppose it isn't a bad idea to pull it.
    07-30-08 09:33 AM
    I left mine in while performing the minor upgrade from 4.2.2.176 to 4.2.2.196. Nothing happened to my card or its data. But it's probably best to remove the card to be safe. Or at least be sure you have it backed up on your computer. That's good practice anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-08 09:34 AM
    i dl the lastest dm version. i also dl the lastest os version. now when i plug my phone up it give me an option to upgrade. do i really need to wipe my device first or upgrade through dm? i have both the old and new version saved on my computer.
    07-30-08 10:09 AM
    i dl the lastest dm version. i also dl the lastest os version. now when i plug my phone up it give me an option to upgrade. do i really need to wipe my device first or upgrade through dm? i have both the old and new version saved on my computer.
    Are you following McClure's procedure? I don't have it in front of me, but just follow him. Desktop Manager is detecting the new OS you installed, that's why it's asking if you want to upgrade. The answer is usually yes. But follow Brian's procedure. Do the steps in the order he lists them.
    07-30-08 10:30 AM
    Please read my tutorial... then read through it again to make sure you understand. Read all of the fine print and your question will be answered

There are a number of ways to upgrade... my guide details a procedure than provides a fresh and clean install and works no matter what. I have walked countless people through the install process using this guide. (and that is the main reason I created it to begin with )

Notice at the very beginning of the tutorial I even provide a link to an alternative upgrade method if you are inclined to do it that way.
    07-30-08 10:41 AM
    not able to run JL cmdr. have been trying to open it for 3 mins and nothing. what am i doing wrong
    07-30-08 12:07 PM
    I believe I looked through the whole thread, and I'm sorry if I missed it but I have an 8330 through Verizon, where can I get the new OS from?
    07-31-08 07:31 AM
    I believe I looked through the whole thread, and I'm sorry if I missed it but I have an 8330 through Verizon, where can I get the new OS from?
    This thread is not meant to be a source for Betas!

This thread is meant to be a tool and a guide to follow after you obtain an OS (no matter what it may be). This guide is meant to walk you through the upgrade process.

Please refrain from asking for Betas on this thread and on any other thread on CB, as it is against forum policy to post links for Betas or to ask for Beta OSes!

Not trying to be mean, but it can cause CB to get in trouble from RIM... and asking that question in this thread will only cause it to veer off track!
    07-31-08 09:48 AM
    bmcclure937:

Please excuse what is probably a very ignorant sounding question, but where do I execute your step #4? On the BB? On my PC? (The only "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" I know of is on my Windows XP computer)...

4. Remove all old OSes! (Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and Uninstall Prior OS versions!)

Thanks for the EXCELLENT step-by-step guide. It's priceless.
    07-31-08 01:54 PM
    This thread is not meant to be a source for Betas!

This thread is meant to be a tool and a guide to follow after you obtain an OS (no matter what it may be). This guide is meant to walk you through the upgrade process.

Please refrain from asking for Betas on this thread and on any other thread on CB, as it is against forum policy to post links for Betas or to ask for Beta OSes!

Not trying to be mean, but it can cause CB to get in trouble from RIM... and asking that question in this thread will only cause it to veer off track!
    My apologizes. I understand, what you are saying. i found it somewhere, thanks for the guide!
    07-31-08 02:37 PM
    bmcclure937:

Please excuse what is probably a very ignorant sounding question, but where do I execute your step #4? On the BB? On my PC? (The only "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" I know of is on my Windows XP computer)...

4. Remove all old OSes! (Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and Uninstall Prior OS versions!)

Thanks for the EXCELLENT step-by-step guide. It's priceless.
    I apologize for the delayed response. I usually watch my guide like a hawk and answer all the questions anyone has!!

You are correct... and I am actually going to make a note on the original post to reflect on that!! You do step 4 from the PC!
    07-31-08 02:43 PM
    Thanks for the reply - by any standards, it was extremely prompt!
    07-31-08 02:55 PM
    Hello, i need help, i tried to upgrade my BB 8100 pearl, to OS 4.5.0.42 Rel 58 BETA but during installation when Desktop Manager was Erasing Data from my BlackBerry my PC suddenly Shut Down, after that My BB8100 is just Continuously blinking Red LED 2times/cycle.
    it can not be Switch On, neither it is being Connected to Desktop Manager although it is connected through data cable to PC but Desktop Manager is telling that Nothing is connected.
    Please help me urgent.

i will be much thankful to you.
    08-04-08 05:51 AM
    Hello, i need help, i tried to upgrade my BB 8100 pearl, to OS 4.5.0.42 Rel 58 BETA but during installation when Desktop Manager was Erasing Data from my BlackBerry my PC suddenly Shut Down, after that My BB8100 is just Continuously blinking Red LED 2times/cycle.
    it can not be Switch On, neither it is being Connected to Desktop Manager although it is connected through data cable to PC but Desktop Manager is telling that Nothing is connected.
    Please help me urgent.

i will be much thankful to you.
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

This is a perfect lesson as to why you may want to reconsider upgrading before you do it. If you do not have the knowledge of the complete process along with the knowledge of what to do if something goes wrong, you can end up with a bricked berry and not know what to do!

Follow the link in my signature for "How to Recover a Dead Berry" and continue your discussion in that thread. At this point, your problem does not fall within this tutorial and should be dealt with in the proper thread

Hope you can get everything worked out!
    08-04-08 11:54 AM
    I think you need to add a warning to your first post, before the procedure, something like this:

"If you are new to your device, you should not attempt to upgrade the OS until you are familiar with it. Upgrading the OS is easy if you follow the procedure, but it is not trivial. If you don't know what you are doing, you will have a hard time following the procedure and will almost certainly end up with a non-functioning device."

There may be better words, but too many people attempt your procedure too soon. They, and you, would be better off if they waited.
    08-04-08 12:11 PM
    I think you need to add a warning to your first post, before the procedure, something like this:

"If you are new to your device, you should not attempt to upgrade the OS until you are familiar with it. Upgrading the OS is easy if you follow the procedure, but it is not trivial. If you don't know what you are doing, you will have a hard time following the procedure and will almost certainly end up with a non-functioning device."

There may be better words, but too many people attempt your procedure too soon. They, and you, would be better off if they waited.
    Good advice... I would think something like this is common sense... and most of the noobs never even search through the HowTos to find my thread, but apparently I am wrong!

Adding the notice now...
    08-04-08 12:27 PM
    I would think something like this is common sense...
    An important sense that a large portion of society seems to be lacking somewhat...
    08-04-08 12:37 PM
    An important sense that a large portion of society seems to be lacking somewhat...
    haha!

Either way, a warning has been added in right before the procedure is detailed... to reduce the number of people asking for help once they do not follow the procedure!
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-04-08 at 12:58 PM.
    08-04-08 12:44 PM
    ... to prevent the number of people asking for help once they do not follow the procedure!
    You can no more prevent that than you can prevent people smoking...but at least now you have the Upgrader General's Warning up front...
    08-04-08 12:51 PM
    You can no more prevent that than you can prevent people smoking...but at least now you have the Upgrader General's Warning up front...
    I actually meant to say "reduce" (and I edited the post) because "prevent" does not even make sense in that context!! haha

And you are definitely right... the "Upgrader General's Warning" haha rofl
    08-04-08 12:59 PM
    but at least now you have the Upgrader General's Warning up front...
    Hehe... Pretty Classic Jeff...

UPGRADER GENERAL'S WARNING: This procedure may brick your phone if you can't be bothered to READ AND COHERENTLY INTERPRET ALL INFORMATION provided.
    08-04-08 01:03 PM
717 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD