It's a double edged sword. As long as you always disconnect before and app mods, you'll be fine. If you downgrade the DM, you will loose the OS, and have to reinstall it again. There's a way around it I believe, but that I haven't ever investigated. Your Bold should run quite well, do you have a lot of 3rd party apps on it?
    Thanks for the tip, i'll definitely stick to 4.7 then. The only things i've noticed so far are that my photos are taking slightly longer to load, and my memory goes from 27mb to like 36-37mb throughout the day, only postive i've noticed is that my gps is working better on google lattiude... only 3rd party apps i have are weather bug, msn messenger, google maps, worldmate, vibe n ring, and lastly japanese, korean, chinese input installed( yes, I use all 3 ) o and a today theme i downloaded. Not a lot compared to some other forum users I would've thought!
    08-18-09 10:51 AM
    can you help me please i have posted messages and now i cant find them but i am trying to download the .151 hybrid. i have tried so many times i am sooo stupid when it comes to this bb. i had in 5 years 6 treo/palms and i switched to bb storm 9530 this march and i am completly lost. i have heard so many people say that this will help with memory loss and that you can do the the all in one launche with it and ummmm it is sooo not working. please can you walk me through this process. i have read the pages and pages on lyiricals posts for the hybrids but i dont get it.
    08-19-09 02:01 PM
    can someone tell me how to upgrade my OS from v4.6 to v5.0??
    i really need your help please...
    because when i click blackberry.alx it can't get started...
    08-20-09 01:23 AM
    can you help me please i have posted messages and now i cant find them but i am trying to download the .151 hybrid. i have tried so many times i am sooo stupid when it comes to this bb. i had in 5 years 6 treo/palms and i switched to bb storm 9530 this march and i am completly lost. i have heard so many people say that this will help with memory loss and that you can do the the all in one launche with it and ummmm it is sooo not working. please can you walk me through this process. i have read the pages and pages on lyiricals posts for the hybrids but i dont get it.
    can someone tell me how to upgrade my OS from v4.6 to v5.0??
    i really need your help please...
    because when i click blackberry.alx it can't get started...
    I believe this is what you both are looking for:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/95...hybrid-263404/
    08-20-09 04:27 AM
    I must say, iam a newbie with bb but I don't understand the procedure in how to upgrade.
    I understand how to back up the phone but when it comes to these steps:

# Install new OS .exe file.
    # Plug phone back into PC and let drivers install.
    # Launch DM and proceed with update of OS.
    # Make sure you pick Backup Data and Apps (including Messages) during the backup!!!
    # DO NOT under any circumstance unplug the phone or use the PC while the update is in progress. Do not let screen saver kick in either.
    # Unplug and use phone ONLY once the upgrade procedure states that it's finished by the DM update software on the screen.

I'm lost. For anyone that could help me I just bought an unlocked att 4.2.2.166 and rogers is my carrier.
    I really want 4.5 so that I can download the majority of themes available.

Thanks
    08-21-09 10:24 AM
    greatest post!
    08-24-09 06:48 AM
    Here's a new one for the list (i did a search and nothing came up for the following

Invalid Configuration

The application "blackberry 4.5.0 core applications" cannot be loaded because it requires the following applications that are not available:

net.rim.platform.ecmascript

i am attempting to update a jailbroke tmo 8120 with 4.5.0124

any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated
    Last edited by FamilyGuy04; 09-17-09 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Bump!!!
    09-16-09 01:29 AM
    Hi, i had a question its prob been asked already but yea is a lot of post to go thru to find it. well my question is. i have a BB curve 8320v 4.5 and for somereason its working very very slow it laggs a lot..im thinking is cuz i dropped it a few times. but i was thinking if i downgrade it and upgrade it might just work better...so i was trying to find v4.2 but idk where to get it can someone give a link to where i could download it. Ty appriciate it.
    09-29-09 01:21 PM
    I can't point you to an old OS, but I can positively assure you there is no benefit whatsoever to installing an older OS solely for the purpose of upgrading it. If you want to rebuild your OS, just use JL_Cmdr to remove the current OS and reload it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 02:04 PM
    oh, um whats JL_Cmdr? and where do i find it? sorry really noobie when it comes to this.
    10-01-09 09:51 AM
    oh, um whats JL_Cmdr? and where do i find it? sorry really noobie when it comes to this.
    Let me give you another wipe program, it's pretty simple to use.

10-01-09 08:43 PM
    I need to be able to switch to the "Roam Only" feature on my Blackberry. I had to get a new curve which comes pre loaded with 4.5 OS. I need 4.3 OS. I have spent 5 hours at the Sprint store and they can not figure out how to downgrade the software. I've also spent at least 8 hours on my own. Nothing works. Help me please.
    11-04-09 07:12 PM
    gald to have found this...backing up and updated my BB 's now

surf
    11-04-09 10:07 PM
    I need to be able to switch to the "Roam Only" feature on my Blackberry. I had to get a new curve which comes pre loaded with 4.5 OS. I need 4.3 OS. I have spent 5 hours at the Sprint store and they can not figure out how to downgrade the software. I've also spent at least 8 hours on my own. Nothing works. Help me please.
    Make sure the 4.3 OS is the only OS installed on your PC, then follow my guide to prep it for install, and back up your device. A lot of your apps will most likely have to be reinstalled in a version that will work with the lower OS, so check to see if they're compatible before you put them back on, then the wipe section to remove the current OS from your device, and the install procedure to put the 4.3 on. You'll have to use restore on DM for your personal info and device settings.

I hear tell you�re doin� well,
    Good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm,
    And you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

11-04-09 10:28 PM
    Followed the basic procedure to install OS 4.6.1.456, but when it gets to step 5, the DM (v5.1) only shows 4.6.1.231. When I try to install that OS, it says I have the latest update (4.6.1.250). I'm on tmo, bb Curve 8900. Please advise.
    11-05-09 02:09 PM
    Followed the basic procedure to install OS 4.6.1.456, but when it gets to step 5, the DM (v5.1) only shows 4.6.1.231. When I try to install that OS, it says I have the latest update (4.6.1.250). I'm on tmo, bb Curve 8900. Please advise.
    Make sure the OS is the only one installed on your PC, and since you are using DM5.0, do a search for vendor.xml, there will be a hidden one installed by the DM. Also, turn off the internet before attempting, and use loader.exe instead of DM itself. Go to program files->common files->research in motion->apploader->loader.exe
    11-05-09 10:45 PM
    Make sure the OS is the only one installed on your PC, and since you are using DM5.0, do a search for vendor.xml, there will be a hidden one installed by the DM. Also, turn off the internet before attempting, and use loader.exe instead of DM itself. Go to program files->common files->research in motion->apploader->loader.exe
    Thanks! worked like a charm!
    11-06-09 01:59 AM
    I used this process to update to 5 and it worked flawlessly. Thanks for the how-to!
    11-07-09 02:52 PM
    I dont see in first post guide for wiping.
    Here is directions in blue, what happened in red:

UPGRADING YOUR OS USING CRACKMEM
    - Download and install the OS that you wish to install on your phone
    DONE
    - Download and install Desktop Manager 4.5 from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22 DONE
    - Download CrackMem from the end of this post DONE
    - Unzip CrackMem (double click and select 'Extract all files' from the menu on the left. There is only one file. DONE
    - Connect your phone and make sure that Desktop Managher can connect to it. Watch for your PIN number to appear at the bottom of the Desktop Manager panel. DONE
    - Kill Desktop Manager but leave your phone connected to your PC DONE
    - Run CrackMem DONE
    - Select the Operating System you wish to install selected Wipe Device, did NOT select install OS. As soon as I clicked Wipe Device, the Application Loader window opened. Now what?...are there separate instructions for the WIPE?
    - Confirm your choice with the 'Confirm Operating System Selection' Button and the selected OS will be displayed in red.
    - You can change your choice now if you wish.
    - In the MODULE REMOVAL section pick as many modules to remove as you wish. Make sure that you check the box for 'Remove Vendor.xml'
    - Once you have finished slelecting, click 'Excecute Slection' and youi will see an 'Action Completed' box appear. CLick to dismiss it.
    - Click the 'Desktop Manager' button.
    - Instalation of the Operating System should begin automatically.
    - Carefully select the modules you wish to install.
    11-14-09 10:11 PM
    I dont see in first post guide for wiping.
    Here is directions in blue, what happened in red:

UPGRADING YOUR OS USING CRACKMEM
    - Download and install the OS that you wish to install on your phone
    DONE
    - Download and install Desktop Manager 4.5 from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22 DONE
    - Download CrackMem from the end of this post DONE
    - Unzip CrackMem (double click and select 'Extract all files' from the menu on the left. There is only one file. DONE
    - Connect your phone and make sure that Desktop Managher can connect to it. Watch for your PIN number to appear at the bottom of the Desktop Manager panel. DONE
    - Kill Desktop Manager but leave your phone connected to your PC DONE
    - Run CrackMem DONE
    - Select the Operating System you wish to install selected Wipe Device, did NOT select install OS. As soon as I clicked Wipe Device, the Application Loader window opened. Now what?...are there separate instructions for the WIPE?
    - Confirm your choice with the 'Confirm Operating System Selection' Button and the selected OS will be displayed in red.
    - You can change your choice now if you wish.
    - In the MODULE REMOVAL section pick as many modules to remove as you wish. Make sure that you check the box for 'Remove Vendor.xml'
    - Once you have finished slelecting, click 'Excecute Slection' and youi will see an 'Action Completed' box appear. CLick to dismiss it.
    - Click the 'Desktop Manager' button.
    - Instalation of the Operating System should begin automatically.
    - Carefully select the modules you wish to install.
    Did you download AND install an OS on your PC? Seems to he the step that's missing there. Also, if you truly want to wipe your device, you need CrackUtil, CrackMem only wipes the personal data. Make sure to do the wipe applications.

11-14-09 10:25 PM
    LOL nice subliminal correction there.
    Yes I didnt select it because it looked like I was to come back and add that after the wipe, similar to coming back and selecting what to remove or add back in after the os is in there.
    I have crackutil and jl_cmder and used the latter on my 8220 so might use that again on this 8900 and then (asking) come back and use crackmem to install the OS and edit other features?
    11-14-09 10:42 PM
    I'm not sure CrackMem will work for your 8900. Try it, and if not, then use this I'll link below. It's a conflicted program, while it removes much more than CrackMem, it doesn't remove everything CrackMem does either. I always use both, but I'm using them on a 4.5 OS device too. Of course you really don't have much worry about file free on an 8900 either, so it's up to you.

11-14-09 11:42 PM
    I used JL awhile back on my 8220 and it went real smooth. I thought I'd give one of these others a try but didnt catch the steps on this threads tool and then crackmem...well would be cool if they put "error 507 your phone" or something; the 'wipe apps' and 'wipe files system' for some reason doesnt sound like it wipes the entire thing. Then putting the OS back on, I ran the Application program from within DM (but didnt go through with the install) and then tried clicking the app loader executable in the common files/rim folder and they came back with different install items and options. Dont know what the diff. was.
    I'll look at the one you posted.

Just wish there was a step by step program that went:
    1. erase/wipe device
    2. install OS
    3. edit OS

Thanks for taking the time replying, I appreciate it
    11-14-09 11:50 PM
    I used JL awhile back on my 8220 and it went real smooth. I thought I'd give one of these others a try but didnt catch the steps on this threads tool and then crackmem...well would be cool if they put "error 507 your phone" or something; the 'wipe apps' and 'wipe files system' for some reason doesnt sound like it wipes the entire thing. Then putting the OS back on, I ran the Application program from within DM (but didnt go through with the install) and then tried clicking the app loader executable in the common files/rim folder and they came back with different install items and options. Dont know what the diff. was.
    I'll look at the one you posted.

Just wish there was a step by step program that went:
    1. erase/wipe device
    2. install OS
    3. edit OS

Thanks for taking the time replying, I appreciate it
    Well in reality, loader.exe does the first two steps you listed, but not prep the OS, which really should be step #1. RIM I guess pressumes you want to load everything they provide on your device. Is there some issue your having that causes you to want to wipe the device? If it's just something you think you need to do, you'll see when you run loader it happens. As far as all the check boxes with loader, that will keep many things from loading up too. BlackBerry attachment service is a must, that's html email, beyond that most is purely optional. MDS Runtime, S/MIME, DOD, all unnecessary unless you're a government agent. All the rest should be pretty easy to figure out.

11-15-09 12:03 AM
    Oof. So there's these to choose from for reloading the OS (and probably more):
    Shrink A OS
    CrackUtil
    CrackMem
    JL Cmder
    BB's App Loader.exe

Have you tried these all? I have use the app loader in BB's folders, and also JL Cmder. Looked at the ShrinkAOS and looked like it left a few choices off of what to leave out. I also left Docs to Go IN and when I hit Shrink, I checked the Removed folder and Docs to go was in there, so I think I will skip that one.
    Can I use this crackmem to reinstall with the OS after wipin with JL Cmder?
    11-15-09 12:54 AM
717 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD