Yeah, I went into the APP loader and still nothing. It brings up the list of apps that are on the phone. And yes, it works... I was able to remove some apps that I had on there I didnt want anymore.

I'm not too concerned I guess... It would be nice to fix the GPS but I'm not dependant on it... I would rather not wipe the phone just in case something bad happens.

Thanks for the help.
    Since the App Loader is working, just not with your OS, I be afraid to wipe the phone as well. You're very likely to end up unable to reload.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 01:39 PM
    Thank you! Can i use the basic procedure?
    07-22-09 02:35 PM
    The same way you would any other file in Windows. Vendor.xml is stored on your PC, not on your BlackBerry. To be sure you don't leave a copy behind, use the windows file search command to search for it, then delete it everywhere you find it. Normally it will be in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    I dont see research in motion listed in my common files? I have DM 5.0 downloaded. Any ideas?
    07-22-09 02:37 PM
    one more thing...do u think i will need to resend service books and re-register after i complete the OS upgrade?
    07-22-09 02:42 PM
    I dont see research in motion listed in my common files? I have DM 5.0 downloaded. Any ideas?
    If you don't have the directory structure I described, then you don't have the BlackBerry OS installed in your PC. That's not the same as having DM installed. Probably the best place to start would be with Reed Mclay's procedure for Optimizing Memory. It's the first link in my signature. Reed shows you how to download and install your OS.

Once you upgrade your OS, you will need to reregister and resend service books to re-enable your browser.

07-22-09 03:08 PM
    im having some problems here to downgrading my blackberry 8300 ):
    I get to start downgrading it to 4.2 (from 4.5)
    but a certain point in the installation (from DM 4.5 as suggested) the device just shuts down and like it "unplugs from the USB" and my comp asks for drivers...... why??
    or either while installing it i get some fatal error and the installation shuts down.
    PS: im trying to change OS cause i got this phone from a friend , and apparently it takes pictures but then when u try to see them in the gallery, it wont jus show em. So in a shop they suggested to update / downgrade OS...
    but it just dsnt even downgrade or upgrade >.<
    Last edited by jessicadan; 07-22-09 at 04:12 PM.
    07-22-09 03:49 PM
    im having some problems here to downgrading my blackberry 8300 ):
    I get to start downgrading it to 4.2 (from 4.5)
    but a certain point in the installation (from DM 4.5 as suggested) the device just shuts down and like it "unplugs from the USB" and my comp asks for drivers...... why??
    or either while installing it i get some fatal error and the installation shuts down.
    PS: im trying to change OS cause i got this phone from a friend , and apparently it takes pictures but then when u try to see them in the gallery, it wont jus show em. So in a shop they suggested to update / downgrade OS...
    but it just dsnt even downgrade or upgrade >.<
    07-22-09 04:36 PM
    ok last news.. i got to upgrade it to the latest OS for 8300 that was posted on this forum.. still yet i cant see the pictures i shot wit this blackberry...
    07-22-09 05:57 PM
    ok last news.. i got to upgrade it to the latest OS for 8300 that was posted on this forum.. still yet i cant see the pictures i shot wit this blackberry...
    Can you see them as saved on the camera? Can you see the folder they get saved to? Try changing the name of one of them, so it's easier to find. And make sure you know which folder it's going into.
    07-22-09 09:18 PM
    Thanks for sharing this.
    07-23-09 02:41 AM
    Can you see them as saved on the camera? Can you see the folder they get saved to? Try changing the name of one of them, so it's easier to find. And make sure you know which folder it's going into.
    Photos get saved in the memory card (1gb space) I see the file wit a X on it and when i try to open it , it just wont show it, just a little X on the left upperside and the white picture.
    then when i press the button Back to exit and go to back to the menu, i get this message:
    " Uncaught exception: close () called when not displayed"

I tried to update the OS but nothing i as i said before :/
    Point is i got it from a friend and this friend bought it a year ago so yea,,, Guarantee ran off. Might go to my provider assistance center and see what they can do (ofcourse if they dont ask too much -.-')
    - i also tried to format the media card , still nothing

- but seriously, anyone knew of this problem wit 8300 ? :/ cause ive readed something on google about this, and they jus say to trow away the phone lol.
    Last edited by jessicadan; 07-23-09 at 03:40 AM.
    07-23-09 02:50 AM
    will check this one out.
    thankss
    07-23-09 04:13 AM
    Photos get saved in the memory card (1gb space) I see the file wit a X on it and when i try to open it , it just wont show it, just a little X on the left upperside and the white picture.
    then when i press the button Back to exit and go to back to the menu, i get this message:
    " Uncaught exception: close () called when not displayed"

I tried to update the OS but nothing i as i said before :/
    Point is i got it from a friend and this friend bought it a year ago so yea,,, Guarantee ran off. Might go to my provider assistance center and see what they can do (ofcourse if they dont ask too much -.-')
    - i also tried to format the media card , still nothing

- but seriously, anyone knew of this problem wit 8300 ? :/ cause ive readed something on google about this, and they jus say to trow away the phone lol.
    I've searched like the dickens, and found nothing specific. You never said whether the camera shows the image being stored properly. You should see "IMGXXXXXX.jpg" under the controls when it's stored, of course the X's are going to be numbers. Also, have you tried storing to the device memory? The error your getting has to do with the OS, but what piece or app causing it is the question. Hit alt lglg, you will get your event log. If you see one listed in bold, click it and copy and paste it to a post. Maybe that will give us the clue we need.
    07-23-09 04:45 AM
    I've searched like the dickens, and found nothing specific. You never said whether the camera shows the image being stored properly. You should see "IMGXXXXXX.jpg" under the controls when it's stored, of course the X's are going to be numbers. Also, have you tried storing to the device memory? The error your getting has to do with the OS, but what piece or app causing it is the question. Hit alt lglg, you will get your event log. If you see one listed in bold, click it and copy and paste it to a post. Maybe that will give us the clue we need.
    im gonna try to explain more specificly, (sorry for my english tho)
    So.. i open the camera, take a picture, AND after i press the trackball to take it, a white screen appears for like 5 seconds or so, then camera gets back to normal like if i have to take another picture...
    So i press the menu and go to " see gallery" (or whatever it is in english, cause ive Italian OS since im italian)
    When im in the gallery I can see the pictures i uploaded from my computer wit usb whit No problems, But when i try to see the picture i took wit the camera The Preview of it its white, the name displayed is DSC00003 (for example, or DSC0004..) and when i press on the image to full view it, I get the white screen plus a red X in the upper left .. and when i press back to exit the gallery, i get that Unexcepted error.
    Same exact thing happens if i save it in the memory device.

id post screens of it, but I need 10 posts for do it xD

- Did i mention that colors in the camera are greenish reddish ? Like... no natural colors at all. meh, weird.
    - And for the error im gettin. I had it also when this device had 4.5.0.52 os, now that i have the 4.5.0.81 i get it anyway.

ok here is my log:

Name:IllegalStateException
    GUID:9c3cd62e3320b498
    hour: gg 13 am 10:13:35
    close() called when not displayed.
    net_rim_cldc-8
    Screen
    close
    0x458C
    net_rim_bb_camera-1
    CameraPreviewScreen
    close
    0x1CF2
    net_rim_bb_camera-1
    CameraPreviewScreen
    $MyFileObserver
    onFileDeleted
    0x2192
    net_rim_bb_apps_framework-3
    FileObserver
    fileJournalChanged
    0x7E5
    net_rim_cldc-15
    FileSystem$JournalChanged
    run
    0x4526
    net_rim_cldc-5
    Application
    dispatchInvokeLater
    0xAAC
    net_rim_cldc-5
    Application
    processNextMessage
    0x123D
    net_rim_cldc-5
    Application
    enterEventDispatcher
    0xA51
    net_rim_bb_camera-1
    CameraMain
    main
    0x3A1
    Last edited by jessicadan; 07-23-09 at 05:54 AM.
    07-23-09 05:28 AM
    Ok, so the photo is fine, the media viewer on the phone is not. That's definitely a OS issue. The event log is alt key held, L key, G key, L key, G key. Sorry, I should have been clearer. Get it to produce the error just before you look in the log, and it will be quicker to find. There's a much newer OS too:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...stasia-263177/

On a side note, where in Italy are you?
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 07-23-09 at 05:39 AM.
    07-23-09 05:37 AM
    Ok, so the photo is fine, the media viewer on the phone is not. That's definitely a OS issue. The event log is alt key held, L key, G key, L key, G key. Sorry, I should have been clearer. Get it to produce the error just before you look in the log, and it will be quicker to find. There's a much newer OS too

On a side note, where in Italy are you?
    u want me to post again a Log wit the error ? or was it jus a tip...
    anyway. Should i wipe the phone before install that OS or jus do it normally?

Im from Udine, in Friuli venezia giulia.
    also, ur link of .255 .162 when i press to choose wich device i have (8300)
    it shows me this one :

Software For BlackBerry� Curve (TM) 8300 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.108 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 4.5.0.108
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.81
    * Software Platform: 2.7.0.78
    * File name: 8300EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel108_PL2.7.0.78_A4.5.0.81_Hutchison_India.exe
    * File size: 71.88MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

* Download Software

And thats the one i installed yesterday night. As u can read is the 4.5.0.81..
    Last edited by jessicadan; 07-23-09 at 06:35 AM.
    07-23-09 06:18 AM
    u want me to post again a Log wit the error ? or was it jus a tip...
    anyway. Should i wipe the phone before install that OS or jus do it normally?

Im from Udine, in Friuli venezia giulia.
    also, ur link of .255 .162 when i press to choose wich device i have (8300)
    it shows me this one :

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.108 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 4.5.0.108
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.81
    * Software Platform: 2.7.0.78
    * File name: 8300EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel108_PL2.7.0.78_A4.5.0.81_Hutchison_India.exe
    * File size: 71.88MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

* Download Software

And thats the one i installed yesterday night. As u can read is the 4.5.0.81..
    The OS might be the second or third listed, but it should be there. Yes, you definitely want to wipe. Follow the instructions carefully, getting the loader.exe to ecognize the device can be tricky.

You live in a beautiful country. Spent time in Bologna, Mt Gaggia outside Silla to be exact. Good luck!

07-23-09 07:00 AM
    The OS might be the second or third listed, but it should be there. Yes, you definitely want to wipe. Follow the instructions carefully, getting the loader.exe to ecognize the device can be tricky.

You live in a beautiful country. Spent time in Bologna, Mt Gaggia outside Silla to be exact. Good luck!

ok ill try to wipe now... wish me lot of luck XD
    Wolfe do u have msn ??? if so send me on a PM , might help >_<

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.255 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 4.5.0.255
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.162
    * Software Platform: 2.7.0.103
    * File name: 8300EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel255_PL2.7.0.103_A4.5.0.16 2_Vodafone_Essar_Limited.exe
    * File size: 86.79MB

* Download Software

found this, will install it after wipe
    Last edited by jessicadan; 07-23-09 at 07:20 AM.
    07-23-09 07:10 AM
    im gonna try to explain more specificly, (sorry for my english tho)
    So.. i open the camera, take a picture, AND after i press the trackball to take it, a white screen appears for like 5 seconds or so, then camera gets back to normal like if i have to take another picture...
    So i press the menu and go to " see gallery" (or whatever it is in english, cause ive Italian OS since im italian)
    When im in the gallery I can see the pictures i uploaded from my computer wit usb whit No problems, But when i try to see the picture i took wit the camera The Preview of it its white, the name displayed is DSC00003 (for example, or DSC0004..) and when i press on the image to full view it, I get the white screen plus a red X in the upper left .. and when i press back to exit the gallery, i get that Unexcepted error.
    Same exact thing happens if i save it in the memory device.

id post screens of it, but I need 10 posts for do it xD

- Did i mention that colors in the camera are greenish reddish ? Like... no natural colors at all. meh, weird.
    - And for the error im gettin. I had it also when this device had 4.5.0.52 os, now that i have the 4.5.0.81 i get it anyway.

ok here is my log:

Name:IllegalStateException
    GUID:9c3cd62e3320b498
    hour: gg 13 am 10:13:35
    close() called when not displayed.
    net_rim_cldc-8
    Screen
    close
    0x458C
    net_rim_bb_camera-1
    CameraPreviewScreen
    close
    0x1CF2
    net_rim_bb_camera-1
    CameraPreviewScreen
    $MyFileObserver
    onFileDeleted
    0x2192
    net_rim_bb_apps_framework-3
    FileObserver
    fileJournalChanged
    0x7E5
    net_rim_cldc-15
    FileSystem$JournalChanged
    run
    0x4526
    net_rim_cldc-5
    Application
    dispatchInvokeLater
    0xAAC
    net_rim_cldc-5
    Application
    processNextMessage
    0x123D
    net_rim_cldc-5
    Application
    enterEventDispatcher
    0xA51
    net_rim_bb_camera-1
    CameraMain
    main
    0x3A1
    Is there any .rem in the extension after .jpg?
    If yes, your device is encrypted..
    07-23-09 07:26 AM
    Is there any .rem in the extension after .jpg?
    If yes, your device is encrypted..
    what do you mean ?
    if the picture name is DSC00004.jpg.rem ???

-Wiped the device , got the 507 screen so i guess everything went good.
    now im installing the OS, 4.5.0.162
    - ok installation of OS went succefully (thats what apploader said)
    phone is on loading screen from 10mins tho, issit normal? (u know, that balls in circle..)
    ok device started..
    os now is 4.5.0.162, tried to take a picture , but still, nothing changed. Same problem. same exact unespected Error,
    same log, so i wont post it again..

ANY CLUE? cause soon im gonna jump over this phone and smash it

- sent the phone to blackberry assistance- <_<
    Last edited by jessicadan; 07-23-09 at 11:37 AM.
    07-23-09 07:33 AM
    i have tried this 4 times already
    1. Backup Phone in DesktopManager.
    2. Unplug phone and close DM.
    3. Install new OS .exe file.
    4. Plug phone back into PC and let drivers install.
    5. Launch DM and proceed with update of OS.
    6. Make sure you pick Backup Data and Apps (including Messages) during the backup!!!
    7. DO NOT under any circumstance unplug the phone or use the PC while the update is in progress. Do not let screen saver kick in either.
    8. Unplug and use phone ONLY once the upgrade procedure states that it's finished by the DM update software on the screen.

After step 3 i download the OS but cannot get the .exe file. Infact after the second time i tried it asks do i want to repair the software or remove it? so when i plug my bb back in and launch the DM absolutley nothing happens

can someone help me i am going crazy!!!!!
    08-05-09 01:11 AM
    ...After step 3 i download the OS but cannot get the .exe file....
    Can you explain what you mean by "cannot get the .exe file?" The OS will download as a self-extracting exe file. Double-click the file you downloaded and the OS will install on your PC.

08-05-09 04:14 AM
    thanks!

this helps
    08-05-09 09:18 AM
    THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!! I upgraded last night and this thread was "GOLDEN." If anyone is looking to upgrade/downgrade, follow the instructions. If you do, you cant "f" it up!
    08-06-09 06:25 PM
    Hey guys i'm in the process of doing a OS upgrade (advanced), I've got to step 9. "Load the OS with AppLoader (using DesktopManager) (Usually takes anywhere between 30min - 1hr)" but when I run the apploader it says theres "no software is available for your device" in the window where it usually lists all the apps....

I followed every step in the OP and also installed the new OS onto my pc. Please can someone tell me what has gone wrong?! my bb is still showing the 507 error message.
    08-15-09 08:29 PM
717 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD