So I actually read through all 22 pages of this thread! (Great walk through by the way!) I managed 2 get mine & my buddies OS's upgraded from Telus 4.3 to Telus's new 4.5.0.77 last nite. Nvr had a single problem or issue @ all!!!

The only thing I had 2 do was to get the facebook icon back on my fone. It loaded the app back on no prob, but there was no icon.

Anyhow, my only gripe is that I still dont have HTML email!!! That was about the only thing I actually wanted out of this! Any ideas on why I dont have it?

When the fone rebooted when the upgrade was done - the email setup wizard came on and prompted me 2 set my email back up, I declined since I had already done that when I first bought the fone. I still get emails, but no HTML!! What did I miss?
    12-11-08 08:18 AM
    You should re-send your service books, and the HTML will only work on mail you receive after the upgrade.
    12-11-08 08:27 AM
    I resnt service books and added my hotmail acct as well. We'll see, but now i have the service books for my 2 email accts (hotmail, blackberry) doubled up! I 2 sets of service books for both addresses...can I del 1 set of them?
    12-11-08 09:05 AM
    I just did a forum search. I think this thread applies:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/htm...ything-112338/
    12-11-08 09:18 AM
    Well i del 1 of the service books for the email accts and now theyre gone - i resnt service books for my hotmail acct and it caME BACK, BUT NOW MY TELUS BLACKBERRY ADDRESS HAS ONLY 1 SET OF SERVICE BOOKS AND THE ICON IS GONE - WHEN I TRIED SENDING AN EMAIL TO THE TELS ADDRESS IT SAID IT CAME BACK AS MAILBOX DISABLED! Ooops sorry for the caps.
    12-11-08 09:57 AM
    i have a question... i recently upgraded my blackberry to a 4.5, so far everything is fine except for the fact that my alarm clock application does not work?? does anyone else have this problem? please please let me know if i can fix this.
    12-12-08 03:44 AM
    For what it's worth:

I just upgraded to the official AT&T 4.5 release for the 8310, and did it entirely "automatically." That is, I fired up DM 4.7, plugged in the Berry, and when DM told me there were updates I told it to go right ahead. Yes, I backed everything up first, just to be safe.

Thus far it looks like things went perfectly. I'm re-registering my apps right now, but everything's there except the forecast icon for my Weatherbug, but that's just because I have to re-configure it after the update.

In general it appears to have been an almost fully automated and painless process to upgrade in this fashion, and kudos to RIM for their efforts.
    12-13-08 12:21 PM
    many thx, trying it now...and i'll be sure to follow the instructions to a 't'.
    12-15-08 08:26 PM
    Wow...I ran the updates today with AT&T also, to get to 4.0.5, and then half way through, my WinXP system crashed due to something unrelated. (new laptop )

Anyway, now I am dl'ing the software manually and praying I can get the app to reinstall. (crossing fingers)

For what it's worth, I think it was going smoothly before my machine went to **** on me.
    12-16-08 10:27 AM
    I have a problem. My desktop manager will not recognize the new OS that i have downloaded. I have run the exe. file, restarted the computer, everything i can imagine, and still no dice. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    12-20-08 11:10 AM
    Did you go into your control panel/installed programs and verify the OS is actually installed? Is this the official Verizon release of the OS?
    12-20-08 11:12 AM
    Also, are there other OS versions also installed that might be confusing it?
    12-20-08 11:12 AM
    it is installed. i deleted the previous versions to make sure that it wasn't being confused. i had the same problem last time i updated. it finally worked, but i have no idea why.

i don't know why this is so difficult
    12-20-08 11:25 AM
    Hmm. Is this the official Verizon release? Have you tried deleting vendor.xml anyway, even if it is the official one? Beyond that I'm out of ideas, personally. Wiser heads must intervene.
    12-20-08 11:27 AM
    I have a problem. My desktop manager will not recognize the new OS that i have downloaded. I have run the exe. file, restarted the computer, everything i can imagine, and still no dice. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Try to reboot the PC you are on... sometimes it is quirky and that simple solution has helped a number of people

If that fails, make sure you are using the correct OS for your specific device model... if you are positive, uninstall it along with DesktopManager. Then reboot PC, reinstall DM and the OS for your device.

That may help you out as well

P.S. What version of DM are you using? just for records sake
    12-20-08 01:31 PM
    I have followed the info on the tread and i keep getting a fatal error on the loading of the software 4.5. I have the white screen with a 507 msg. what should i do? I TRIED ONE MORE TIME AND GOT A
    A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000005]
    AND ON THE PHONE IS A JVN 547 ERROR OR RESET?
    WHAT SHOULD I DO?
    Last edited by midospike; 12-23-08 at 09:51 PM.
    12-23-08 09:16 PM
    I have followed the info on the tread and i keep getting a fatal error on the loading of the software 4.5. I have the white screen with a 507 msg. what should i do? ...
    You need to perform the Nuked Berry recovery procedure: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    12-23-08 11:37 PM
    And, not meaning to be rude, I would like to add that this error is actually discussed in the original procedure

If you read the warnings I post and all of the information I include, in its entirety, then you will find that the '507' error is nothing to worry about and is covered

There are also alternative methods to upgrade, which I also discuss...

just so you know for future reference

Happy Holidays!
    12-23-08 11:52 PM
    Thanks! That helped a lot!
    12-24-08 11:28 AM
    I have one to add to the list of items to do during the upgrade and after retrospect this is what caused my White Screen of Death (WSoD):

on my PC I have two logins, one normal user for when I search the net and the other is as Admin to add programs and such.

when I first tried to upgrade my OS, I was logged in as a user and after the upgraded started, I got the message that I couldn't procede without Admin Privileges. ok, clicked cancel, upgrade ended and all looked ok. logged out and then logged in as Admin, started the update and had the error 561 .. yes 561 not 507 on the WSoD. came here and found out how to get a nuked BB going again.

so, in short MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PERMISSIONS TO DO UPGRADES

learn from my FUBAR
    12-24-08 01:01 PM
    Interesting! As of this weekend, AT&T (retail store) told me they are not going to support 4.5 on the 8310 and I'd have to get it from RIM if I want it.
    Thanks for the info.
    12-29-08 02:35 PM
    Interesting! As of this weekend, AT&T (retail store) told me they are not going to support 4.5 on the 8310 and I'd have to get it from RIM if I want it.
    Thanks for the info.
    Yeah, that rep is full of doo-doo. AT&T fully supports 4.5.0.110 and, as you most likely know, recently released it themselves. Where do these clueless reps come from?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...4/#post1169056
    12-29-08 02:40 PM
    i upgraded my pearl and after the install it restarted and now its jus showing me the hour glass and it doesnt do anything is that normal?
    12-30-08 01:51 PM
    Go back to Post #1 in this thread. The author tells you what to do in this instance.
    12-30-08 03:42 PM
    I am attempting the advanced upgrade procedure and have a couple questions:

1. Do I keep phone connected to my computer and DM open for all steps (beginner procedure says to disconnect phone and close DM, but the advanced procedure does not say whether to stay connected or disconnect).

2. I don't see my old (current) OS in the Program list in my PC's Control Panel. What would it be called (Curve 8330, V. 4.3)

Thanks in advance!
    01-02-09 08:18 PM
717 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD