you can get as technical as you all want, truth is, not anyone thing is COMPLETLY safe. I mean if there was some hacker, or some IT person that wanted to grab a hold of your stuff, be it a BB or person email, bank stuff, whatever, with enough time and pacience they can get your info. You just have to be carefull, do what you can to prevent particular events and cross your fingures. I'm not saying 'go live in fear' just don't be nieve and think your and 100% safe.
    06-24-08 09:27 AM
    From what's been said above, and lots of good info...have not quite got it..

For the same reason as one of the posts, if I am on a BIS to BIS with messenger, and given the fact that the providers have millions of users,

1) is it encrypted, if so to what extent
    2) can I configure the security on my device
    3) Granted nothing is "secure"..but I thought this went from pin to pin..what happens when you "clear history"..
    4) is the text / data recorded anywhere..

thanks guys!
    06-30-08 03:35 PM
    Sounds like some people have some really risky stuff to hide.....
    06-09-10 11:20 AM
    Some people are just paranoid for no reason too, they think "anyone" will start looking at their data which is a complete and utter joke.

Still others do the smart thing, build a better hiding spot. No one will find them where I've hidden them, not even hear them whimper. Umm, I mean, I have a secure place to store my messages.

But at the end of the day nothing is secure. RIM can decode anything that does through their servers as they have all the keys. BES managers can see everything too.
    06-09-10 11:32 AM
    You bumped a 2 year old thread to say that?
    06-09-10 11:48 AM
    You bumped a 2 year old thread to say that?
    hah Good eye, I never noticed that.
    06-09-10 11:53 AM
    It's not that BES or BIS are secure or not secure, it's that they are configurable.

As a consumer using BIS, messages go from your POP3-providing ISP to the BIS server to your phone. Your cellphone carrier rents the BIS server directly from RIM. It's unlikely that your cellphone carrier saves these messages since there are billions of them, but they could since it's configurable. Ask them. The ISP that hosts your POP3 email account is a bigger worry, really. The over the air transmissions are encrypted, if they configure it that way.

If your company runs a BES server, again, its configurable. If they allow "Split Pipes" or access to the carrier internet, they won't see your personal email coming directly from a BIS server, but if they don't allow it and they force all internet access to the outside world through company firewalls, they'll see it all. If the BIS-to-phone connection is encrypted by your carrier, your company will see it through their firewall and know what it is but not see the content. You have to ask your company's IT department.

Here are some pictures of how BIS and BES work:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

What the two pictures show is BES and BIS. What they don't show is the "Split Pipe" connection that allows both. They also don't show your carrier BIS email going through the company firewall thru the BES server to your phone, but they could configure it that way.

If you are a consumer using only BIS, fear not, but you can ask your carrier if you're paranoid. If you're a corporate drone using BES, you have to ask your IT weenies if they allow "carrier internet access" or "split pipes." It's all configurable, but not by the end user.

--Qfg

Great info.
    Can i add a question about spying software available on the market like mobistealth and flexispy, sounds like it could be run on BIS as they mention an example like spying kids which obviously not a BES.
    Is that really possible?, how does it work?
    link : How is it possible to monitor Blackberry messenger chat? | Best cell phone bugging software

Thanks.
    12-05-12 12:22 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD