I'm living in Southern California and currently have an Android phone that I love but I do have lots of family overseas that have Blackberry's, primarily for BBM. I wanted to buy an used unlocked Blackberry, like an 8300 or something, JUST for Blackberry Messenger and nothing else (to keep in touch). I was wondering what is the cheapest and most viable way for me to go about this?

Thanks.
    08-06-10 10:22 AM
    Don't think so... for BBM you need blackberry BIS service, and in the US, I don't think there are any prepaid data-only blackberry plans. Boost mobile has unlimited everything for $60/month, but that includes texting and voice.
    08-06-10 10:31 AM
    You can try Virgin Wireless. You can do the Blackberry plan for $35/mo looks like.

Virgin Mobile USA

It's CDMA, though, so you can't just buy a used unlocked phone and toss in a SIM. You may, however, be able to get a used phone flashed for Virgin. YMMV
    08-06-10 10:39 AM
    I see. If those are my only two options, Virgin Mobile seems like the best choice for me. My brother works for Sprint and I get my phone and contract through him so I really only need data for the Blackberry, not minutes. If there is a plan though that does through in a few free minutes and sms's, it doesn't make a difference to me. I'm just looking at price and the ability to use data.

Does anyone else know of any other ways for me to go about this?
    08-06-10 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD