Also if I do put on a hybrid or a leaked os or a sprint os on my phone....when the verizon one comes out do I need to remove all of it or just put on 5.0 thru desktop manager

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-10 02:31 PM
    running Official OS's are always better then running a Hybrid

when the OS does come out, you want to wipe your phone so you dont have any of those Hybrid files on your phone anymore, then load up the official OS.
    03-15-10 02:36 PM
    I disagree. I have yet to run an official carrier-released OS that can hold a candle to some of the customized hybrids that follow. The idea of a hybrid is that it takes the best files from multiple releases and combines into one "super" OS.
    03-15-10 02:41 PM
    We don't know what the official VZW OS 5 will be nor when it will be.

Wait until it's out and been tested/used before making a decision.

Hybrids are good for correcting certain problems, if you don't have those problems a hybrid won't do much for you....
    03-15-10 02:47 PM
    Negative. I've run Sprint's official 5.0.0.484 for a week and a .484/.459/.497 hybrid for another week w/ the same amount of applications and received SUBSTANTIALLY better battery life, memory leak, and browser speed (including speed tests) than the official .484.

These facts were taken from stats pulled from MeterBerry as well as my own investigations. Please don't mindlessly tell people that running Official OS's are always better. This is an opinion of yours.

Hybrids are good for correcting certain problems, if you don't have those problems a hybrid won't do much for you....
    The funny thing about this statement is that these "problems" that hybrids tend to fix stem from "officially-stamped" RIM operating systems.
    Last edited by b0ricua; 03-15-10 at 05:15 PM.
    03-15-10 05:13 PM
    Also if I do put on a hybrid or a leaked os or a sprint os on my phone....when the verizon one comes out do I need to remove all of it or just put on 5.0 thru desktop manager
    Its best to do a back up of your apps with bbsak and a very lite back up with your desktop manager. I say lite because you dont want the full back up from your old version, you only want what you really need. Address book, sms, bbm,calender events, and any thing you have to have. Many people do a back up that loads stuff like app permissions, store content etc.

Totally FALSE... Hybrids give you the best mix from different OS versions. With an official OS, your stuck with what your carrier thinks is best for you..

I will never run a stand alone OS ever again after using a hybrid..

when the OS does come out, you want to wipe your phone so you don't have any of those Hybrid files on your phone anymore, then load up the official OS.
    Lol "those hybrid files"? Makes them sound like they are bad.. But yes a wipe is the best thing prior to an OS install.

We don't know what the official VZW OS 5 will be nor when it will be.
    Being that there were 2 recent leaks, its going to be soon and close to what .530 and .548 are. And with the ptt feature,, and possibly skype. It may be pushed to vzw tho and not part of the OS update...

Wait until it's out and been tested/used before making a decision.
    That's right, always wait it out and read the threads describing the good and bad and make your final choice..

Hybrids enhance your os. They give you things that are better than the official. You cant really say they fix certain problems. I mean my browser was good but the one in .530 is super fast. So I wanted it and installed the hybrid.
    03-15-10 06:28 PM

Totally FALSE... Hybrids give you the best mix from different OS versions. With an official OS, your stuck with what your carrier thinks is best for you..
    +1
    If you find a good hybrid it is worth having.
    03-15-10 06:32 PM
    I much prefer my VZW 9630 with Dv7 hybrid.
    03-15-10 06:33 PM
    Satisfaction is in the eye of the Blackberry's holder.

03-15-10 06:46 PM
    Yup, Verizon's still official OS does wonders for creating memory errors requiring reloading the OS. Not only that but it really performs great with dying custom profiles that infect all/many/most contacts. So, yes, wait for the official OS like is the new gospel.

That is not saying it will or may be bad but it also is not necessary the be all and end all of OS's. Oh, and let's not forget the incredibly fast boot time of 10-12 minutes - yup, terrific official OS from Verizon - this alone was driving me crazy. And I am certainly glad I did not wait to get back to individually editing profiles.

I'm still on a 5.1 hybrid and like it enough that I have not experimented in two months.

So when they do finally release it, I will read about it here and there and everywhere and then make up my mind - official or yet another hybrid.
    03-15-10 07:56 PM
    I don't think that a official is better than a hybrid mainly being hybrids take the best features from the OS and make it the best OS it can be
    03-15-10 08:05 PM
    Many of the hybrids out there perform much better than even the most recent Official OS's of any carrier. All in all - every one of these OS's is more or less the same. No new, noteworthy features - nothing really to differentiate between them. The benefit of running a hybrid is OS speed, battery life, increased memory, and browser speed. The OS is still the same OS we've been using all along. The last four hybrids I've tried have has much better battery life, much less OS lag, a much faster browser, and way more filefree than with the latest official Sprint OS. So saying the verizon 5.0 for the Tour is going to be anything more than what Sprint's was is just silly. MTS Mobility, Sprint, INSERT CARRIER HERE - they're all the same. Just look at how slowly the OS development is progressing with the quality of the leaks. Each new leak presents new problems, with nothing new. Hybrids mix the best files from what's out there and mash them together for optimal performance all around. It astounds me that people are still running 4.7! If you do it right (and its NOT complicated) you can install a hybrid within 20minutes. And if you brick it, its fairly simply to start over and get right the second time. As long as you backup, there is no risk.

03-15-10 11:01 PM
    I'm still on a 5.1 hybrid and like it enough that I have not experimented in two months.
    That is one awesome hybrid.... I still have it in the back of my mind and think about going back to it. Lately I've been installing at least two hybrids a week,,, just can't leave them alone..lol. I won't run an Official release again knowing that if it's that good, there will be a new hybrid coming out shortly afterwards that will be MUCH better! So to answer the OP's question, go for a hybrid now and you make the choice when Big Red drops it's super OS5 release.
    03-15-10 11:36 PM
    Its best to do a back up of your apps with bbsak and a very lite back up with your desktop manager. I say lite because you dont want the full back up from your old version, you only want what you really need. Address book, sms, bbm,calender events, and any thing you have to have. Many people do a back up that loads stuff like app permissions, store content etc.
    I'd disagree with the idea of a lite backup, backup EVERYTHING, you can do a selective restore but everything will be there if you decide you want it, I usually restore only calendar, address book and favorites but it's all there if needed and if you do a lite restore and then wipe the phone, stuff not backed up is gone forever.
    03-16-10 12:17 AM
    I'd disagree with the idea of a lite backup, backup EVERYTHING, you can do a selective restore but everything will be there if you decide you want it, I usually restore only calendar, address book and favorites but it's all there if needed and if you do a lite restore and then wipe the phone, stuff not backed up is gone forever.
    I agree. You might as well back up everything on your phone in case something happens and you want to go back to where you were before. DM gives you the option to to a selective backup in the advanced option to restore certain files only rather than all of them, am I right?
    03-16-10 08:46 AM
    I have only ever loaded one hybrid and it was not impressive. It seems worse than the leaked 5.0s even.
    03-16-10 08:59 AM
    I think it depends on the phone and how you install it. I had the Tour and couldn't seem to get any 5.0 OS and hybrid installed on my phone. But I have the Curve 8330 and installed a hybrid 5.0 OS and it works great!
    03-16-10 09:06 AM
    DM gives you the option to to a selective backup in the advanced option to restore certain files only rather than all of them, am I right?
    You are right. In DM, go to backup/restore, select Advanced, click on File (on the left side of the screen)/Open and select the last backup. You can restore any part of it from there. Usually you'll want your address book and calendar at least.
    03-16-10 10:16 AM
    I have only ever loaded one hybrid and it was not impressive. It seems worse than the leaked 5.0s even.
    You must have chosen a bad hybrid or it was a bad install. I have loaded probably 10 or more different hybrids and had great results with all of them.
    03-16-10 10:27 AM

I agree. You might as well back up everything on your phone in case something happens and you want to go back to where you were before. DM gives you the option to to a selective backup in the advanced option to restore certain files only rather than all of them, am I right?

This is based on if you�re wiping the phone and starting fresh. You need to do the selective/lite back up. Imo, it�s pointless to back up everything because you do not need everything. You don�t want to put all that clutter back on the phone even if you load your previous os back.�Why would you want old app permissions, certificate summery data, content store, default service selector, etc etc, All you need is contacts, sms, messages, tasks, your data� You don�t want all the other stuff from an old os installed in the new os. It�s called fresh install for a reason.

That�s like coping the contents of your windows folder from win 98 and sticking it in your windows folder in xp after an install�.

And if you switch back after doing a wipe, you still only need the personal data and nothing more. The os sets all the permissions and stuff..

And just fyi, my chick just got a replacement 9700 and when she went to att, the tech did a full back up of the old phone, that had a ton of apps and stuff, and stuck it on the new phone that did not have any of her downloaded apps installed, yet there are 463 app permissions. Um why is all that there when the apps are not? The reboot took 8.5 minutes. I made him clear it all out and do a restore of only her personal data only... Boot time cut in half...
    03-16-10 09:37 PM
    Sometimes I actually perform a full manual backup, then go into DM and clear those files I don't want put back on my phone and use that second backup to restore after wipe and os load. I do this just in case something goes wrong and I want to get my device back to pre-wipe status. It only takes a minute to backup manually, so I think better to be safe than sorry.
    03-17-10 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD