hey guys. I searched the internet for the above question and there is an ambiguity about it. I am using a bold 9700 without a data plane and i would like to know if it is possible to use BBM without activating data plane on WIFI or simple GPRS?
    06-07-12 05:23 AM
    No. It is not. You need a data plan that includes BlackBerry Data in order to use BlackBerry Data features such as BlackBerry Messenger.
    angularkid likes this.
    06-07-12 05:40 AM
    Ok thanks. I think i will get a data plane soon.
    06-07-12 05:48 AM
    hey guys. I searched the internet for the above question and there is an ambiguity about it. I am using a bold 9700 without a data plane and i would like to know if it is possible to use BBM without activating data plane on WIFI or simple GPRS?
    Is is possible to use your phone without a battery? Or is it possible to make calls without sim card?
    narayananiyer86 likes this.
    06-07-12 05:48 AM
    I always thought a data plan was required. It turns out, that is not true. A guy I work with bought an original Torch from another guy at work. The Torch was on AT&T (of course as the original Torch was only sold by AT&T). He wiped it and put a voice only SIM card in. I've seen him use the Torch for voice and TXT without a data plan. Or, even a data plane.

It is basically a feature phone now. However, he can browse the Web if he has WiFi. He can't do email, BBM or App World. Since App World doesn't work, he can't install many apps.

I think he is loosing a lot of great features but, he got it very cheap and it is a nice feature phone with potential to be much more.
    06-07-12 06:35 AM
    ...is it possible to make calls without sim card?
    If you have a CDMA phone it is
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    06-07-12 06:44 AM
    I always thought a data plan was required. It turns out, that is not true. A guy I work with bought an original Torch from another guy at work. The Torch was on AT&T (of course as the original Torch was only sold by AT&T). He wiped it and put a voice only SIM card in. I've seen him use the Torch for voice and TXT without a data plan. Or, even a data plane.

It is basically a feature phone now. However, he can browse the Web if he has WiFi. He can't do email, BBM or App World. Since App World doesn't work, he can't install many apps.

I think he is loosing a lot of great features but, he got it very cheap and it is a nice feature phone with potential to be much more.
    A data plan isn't needed for calls and texts. BBM / App world & BB emails need the bb servers to send and receive them.

BBM messages are different from sms messages.
    06-07-12 07:02 AM
    A data plan isn't needed for calls and texts. BBM / App world & BB emails need the bb servers to send and receive them.

But i am using App world without a data plane on wifi. I downloaded many apps from there and they are working perfectly fine on Wifi. I can even open the BBM and access my profile but when i tried to add people or groups i get a message that "waiting for authorization" and i am getting it since the last four days.
    Here is my PIN 2093A596. Can somebody send me a text so that i can know if my BBM is working or not?
    Last edited by angularkid; 06-07-12 at 08:36 AM.
    06-07-12 08:33 AM
    But i am using App world without a data plane on wifi. I downloaded many apps from there and they are working perfectly fine on Wifi. I can even open the BBM and access my profile but when i tried to add people or groups i get a message that "waiting for authorization" and i am getting it since the last four days.
    Here is my PIN 2093A596. Can somebody send me a text so that i can know if my BBM is working or not?
    My bad. I assume app world is different from country to country - network to network.
    06-07-12 08:43 AM
    Texts and BBMs are not the same.

If you do not have a BlackBerry Data Plan (or some type of Social Plan or Bolt on) then BBM will not work.

It's as simple as that.
    06-07-12 08:55 AM
    Texts and BBMs are not the same.

If you do not have a BlackBerry Data Plan (or some type of Social Plan or Bolt on) then BBM will not work.

It's as simple as that.
    Right now i am using the EDGE services of a cellular company in my area. It is something faster from the normal GPRS and they grant me volume based bundles of internet every month. Will it work for BBM? how to know if BBM is working?
    06-07-12 09:27 AM
    No, you would need to contact your carrier and ask them to add a BlackBerry Data Plan or a BBM add on (if that is all you wanted)

Sent from my fingers on a 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-07-12 09:30 AM
    Right now i am using the EDGE services of a cellular company in my area. It is something faster from the normal GPRS and they grant me volume based bundles of internet every month. Will it work for BBM? how to know if BBM is working?
    If you have EDGE (in capitals) then you are on a BlackBerry data plan (BIS). If the word edge is in lower case then your phone can see the data network but it is not logged in so can't send or receive data because you have no agreed data plan.

The same is true of the slower GPRS.
    06-07-12 09:51 AM
    I think it's stupid that you can't use BBM
    on just wifi.

My 9930 is a wifi only device right now (don't feel like dealing with the rude reps at my local sprint store to activate it nor do I feel like calling technical support only to be out on hold for an hour) but I can access app world & use apps.

Which is odd because my Curve 3G won't let me access app world at all unless I have the phone activated.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    06-07-12 09:55 AM
    There's no way around it OP. You have to have some sort of data plan with BB services to use BBM. Reason being is part of your monthly fee charge goes to RIM to grant access to their networks.

You cannot access it through WIFI like a website. This is a completely separate network that you have to pay to access via your mobile phone carrier.

So at the moment, yes you can open the application, but the application is not connected to the RIM network so you will not get any BBM requests, authorizations, or messages.

Your pending "waiting for authorization" will not be fulfilled unless you sign up for a data plan that includes BB services.
    06-07-12 10:01 AM
    on just wifi.

My 9930 is a wifi only device right now (don't feel like dealing with the rude reps at my local sprint store to activate it nor do I feel like calling technical support only to be out on hold for an hour) but I can access app world & use apps.

Which is odd because my Curve 3G won't let me access app world at all unless I have the phone activated.

Stupid? How do you figure? Wifi is not constant everywhere. Many an occasion people on this site have given thanks for still having access to BBM precisely because it does not require wifi to use.

Try going to another sprint store then to avoid the non-professionalism at your local store. Sorry, but you cannot cheat the system. And calling something stupid because you cannot be bothered to get a data plan is boarder-lining on kettle/pot territory.
    06-07-12 10:46 AM
    Stupid? How do you figure? Wifi is not constant everywhere. Many an occasion people on this site have given thanks for still having access to BBM precisely because it does not require wifi to use.

Try going to another sprint store then to avoid the non-professionalism at your local store. Sorry, but you cannot cheat the system. And calling something stupid because you cannot be bothered to get a data plan is boarder-lining on kettle/pot territory.
    I have a data plan. When did I say I didn't have one? I just said I'm not in the mood to go to Sprint & deal with the reps today to switch from my iPhone to my BB.

I never used BBM that much, however I do think it should be able to be used over wifi only if need be. That's my opinion. I could care less how you feel about my opinion. =|

06-07-12 12:46 PM
    on just wifi.

Well, you can use BBM on WiFi only, you can also use BBM with Data Services turned off (Under Mobile Network settings), but you still need a BB Data Plan or some type of add on or something.
    06-07-12 01:08 PM
    Well, you can use BBM on WiFi only, you can also use BBM with Data Services turned off (Under Mobile Network settings), but you still need a BB Data Plan or some type of add on or something.
    I know that, but I'm talking about without any kind of data plan or phone plan at all.
    Simply as a wifi only device.

06-07-12 01:24 PM
    I know that, but I'm talking about without any kind of data plan or phone plan at all.
    Simply as a wifi only device.

BBM is part of RIM's private network services. It's not just a free open service. Use an internet based IM program if you want something open and free. It doesn't seem stupid to me to expect revenue from a service you are paying to provide. Not as stupid as the carriers charging us ridiculous SMS fees for a system that already existed and doesn't require much overhead...
    06-07-12 03:49 PM

App world works without BIS. I am using it on edge.
    10-04-12 04:00 AM
    App world works without BIS. I am using it on edge.
    Welcome to CB,

Ahh it must differ from country to country & carrier.
    10-04-12 04:03 AM
    I can confirm the App World part.

A friend of mine just bought a new BB and he can use App World without a BIS data plan.

I was impressed, of course lol
    10-04-12 04:26 AM
    raghuvirkr
    06-12-13 10:58 AM
    No. It is not. You need a data plan that includes BlackBerry Data in order to use BlackBerry Data features such as BlackBerry Messenger.
    So how can I make my wifi to used in BBM?
    08-02-13 02:34 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD