And I've been out of the game for 5 months. Verizon 9930 running 7.0.0.254......yeah, that old. My main concerns are battery life and radio strength. My signal is sketchy inside my house. So for battery life and signal strength, which 9930 OS would be best? Remember, just based off of battery life and signal strength.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-01-12 11:57 AM
    Go with 7.1.0.342. I've tried them all and this is the best that I like.
    06-01-12 01:52 PM
    Go with 7.1.0.342. I've tried them all and this is the best that I like.

I will definitely look at it, does it have UMA? I only have 450 minutes a month and unlimited nights/weekends, but I work nights so most of my calls are day time calls. UMA is essential.

06-01-12 02:09 PM
    I believe so.
    06-01-12 02:19 PM
    You may have wifi calling, but not UMA unless you have a T-Mobile USA branded BB running on the T-Mobile network. While there may be engineering screen temporary work-arounds for other brand GSM phones on T-Mo, those are well, work-arounds. I don't know if these work-arounds will work on CDMA or CDMA/GSM BB's.

Don't take this as a negative. I just meant to clarify that T-Mo BB's (non OS7.x models) running on T-Mo network will get UMA out of the box with almost no setup. OS7 models may now have wifi calling (depending on BB model and carrier and perhaps OS), but none get true UMA as we knew it. BB models from other carriers -- possibly via engineering screens for non-OS7 models for UMA, for OS7 models, possibly wifi calling. Best of luck.
    06-01-12 04:41 PM
    You may have wifi calling, but not UMA unless you have a T-Mobile USA branded BB running on the T-Mobile network. While there may be engineering screen temporary work-arounds for other brand GSM phones on T-Mo, those are well, work-arounds. I don't know if these work-arounds will work on CDMA or CDMA/GSM BB's.

Don't take this as a negative. I just meant to clarify that T-Mo BB's (non OS7.x models) running on T-Mo network will get UMA out of the box with almost no setup. OS7 models may now have wifi calling (depending on BB model and carrier and perhaps OS), but none get true UMA as we knew it. BB models from other carriers -- possibly via engineering screens for non-OS7 models for UMA, for OS7 models, possibly wifi calling. Best of luck.

I was unaware UMA was T-Mo specific, then just WiFi calling, as I'm using a 9930 with Verizon.

06-01-12 05:25 PM
    I was unaware UMA was T-Mo specific, then just WiFi calling, as I'm using a 9930 with Verizon.

Verizon currently does not offer WiFi calling for any of their BlackBerry devices. As I understand it, the 9930 has the capability, but it is software-controlled and is not supported by VZW.

If it's any help, Verizon's Android devices apparently don't have WiFi calling either. Remember that this the same company that used to lock down Bluetooth profiles and forced you to use their fee-based services for moving photos and music to and from our phones.
    06-02-12 09:26 AM
    Verizon currently does not offer WiFi calling for any of their BlackBerry devices. As I understand it, the 9930 has the capability, but it is software-controlled and is not supported by VZW.

If it's any help, Verizon's Android devices apparently don't have WiFi calling either. Remember that this the same company that used to lock down Bluetooth profiles and forced you to use their fee-based services for moving photos and music to and from our phones.

Hmm...might have to look into hacking it then. But why can't I get BIS to connect to WiFi networks? I can't browse the web or download anything when on WiFi.

06-02-12 10:29 AM
    First, your post shows you on TMO. Are you attempting to use a 9930 on T-Mobile? If so, then you should be able to load TMO service books. If that functionality is built into the 99XX series, that might allow you to use UMA on TMO.

I don't know of a way to force your BIS to use WiFi networks. Mine automatically shifts when I'm connected to a WiFi network. If you're not familiar, look for the BIS indicator (the BB logo) at the top right corner of your home screen, near the signal bars. If the BIS indicator has shifted to sit next to the WiFi icon, then you're connected to the BIS over WiFi.
    06-02-12 01:15 PM
    First, your post shows you on TMO. Are you attempting to use a 9930 on T-Mobile? If so, then you should be able to load TMO service books. If that functionality is built into the 99XX series, that might allow you to use UMA on TMO.

I don't know of a way to force your BIS to use WiFi networks. Mine automatically shifts when I'm connected to a WiFi network. If you're not familiar, look for the BIS indicator (the BB logo) at the top right corner of your home screen, near the signal bars. If the BIS indicator has shifted to sit next to the WiFi icon, then you're connected to the BIS over WiFi.

I need to update my profile, I've been with Verizon for almost a year now. Sorry for the confusion. And I am familiar with the BIS indicator and it does not move next to my WiFi indicator, I called Verizon customer service and since I don't another phone to call from they couldn't help me, notated my account and I'm about to go to the Verizon store. I am also equipped with pics to show them that BIS indicator should move from the 3G indicator to the WiFi indicator.

06-02-12 02:08 PM
    Went to the Verizon store, connects properly to the Starbucks WiFi on ATT's network and their hotspot. Won't connect to mine at home, I'm using an older NetGear if that helps anyone.

06-02-12 03:06 PM
    If your router is very old, then it might be an issue. I've read reports here in the forums and at RIM's support pages about people solving their WiFi connection issues with a newer router. I had a WiFi connection issue with my BlackBerry phones and my old Linksys router. My BB devices were not detecting the WiFi network at all. It turned out that my old router just needed an update for its ROM. Check your router configuration as well.

After you update to one of the OS7.1 releases, take a look at the BlackBerry Device Analyzer that is part of 163 and up. It has a wizard that will run diagnostics on your WiFi connection. Verizon's latest release is v7.1.0.163. Sprint's latest is 267, and there are some newer OS releases from other carriers. I'm currently running 355 after downgrading from 402. I'd recommend avoiding both and trying 342, which I've read seems to be the best for now.
    06-02-12 04:18 PM
    If your router is very old, then it might be an issue. I've read reports here in the forums and at RIM's support pages about people solving their WiFi connection issues with a newer router. I had a WiFi connection issue with my BlackBerry phones and my old Linksys router. My BB devices were not detecting the WiFi network at all. It turned out that my old router just needed an update for its ROM. Check your router configuration as well.

After you update to one of the OS7.1 releases, take a look at the BlackBerry Device Analyzer that is part of 163 and up. It has a wizard that will run diagnostics on your WiFi connection. Verizon's latest release is v7.1.0.163. Sprint's latest is 267, and there are some newer OS releases from other carriers. I'm currently running 355 after downgrading from 402. I'd recommend avoiding both and trying 342, which I've read seems to be the best for now.

What are the major issues with .402? I'm currently using it, only installed yesterday. And I'd check the settings on the router if I knew the password. Moved back in with my dad a while back 'cause he needed some financial help and he doesn't remember the password. He's had that router for at least 2-3 years now. I can connect to it, but BIS won't.

06-02-12 04:30 PM
    What are the major issues with .402? I'm currently using it, only installed yesterday. And I'd check the settings on the router if I knew the password. Moved back in with my dad a while back 'cause he needed some financial help and he doesn't remember the password. He's had that router for at least 2-3 years now. I can connect to it, but BIS won't.

I can't remember all of the issues I had with .402. But for one, mobile hotspot had major connection issues. I also had random vibrations for nothing at all. I have never tried .355, so I can't comment on that OS.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    06-03-12 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD