Would someone explain to me the advantage of two BB users messaging each other using PIN# instead of just a regular text?
    08-06-09 09:33 AM
    It's faster, and more integrated / real time.

You can also send voice notes, pictures, and music right through BBM.
    08-06-09 09:34 AM
    Works off of data, so no txt used!!
    08-06-09 09:34 AM
    No 160 character limit.
    Uses data, not SMS allowance.
    Can message ppl in other countries.

That's the advantage when PIN messaging.

Using BlackBerry Messenger has many more advantages.
    Threaded conversations.
    Have Group Chats.
    Send one message to all or several contacts.
    Send Pix/Voice Notes/Contact Info.
    Get Delivered/Read indication.
    Set status messages/avatars.
    Set alerts for when busy contact becomes available.
    Save conversations.
    Create groups for different contacts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 09:35 AM
    Makes it like a chat session using BBM instead of Texting... Can insert file, ringtones, and pictures directly....Its just like yahoo messenger or aim, but only for blackberry users... I think its cool.. Oh and on BBM 5.0 you can see their profile picture and do a conference converstaion with all your bbm contacts...
    08-06-09 09:36 AM
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but what's the difference between PIN messaging and BBM?

Edit: question answered already thanks.
    08-06-09 09:41 AM
    I do believe that Pin messaging is very secure.No record of the conversation is kept on a server anywhere.The only record is on the two devices exchanging messages. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
    08-06-09 09:44 AM
    it is like instant messaging and doesn't take as long to get a message or a response
    08-06-09 09:45 AM
    just be careful using PIN messaging if you are on a BES becuase it can be recorded in logs if the BES admin has it setup that way.
    08-06-09 09:48 AM
    awesome sounds great guys thanks for the feedback.
    08-06-09 10:05 AM
    Another thing you forgot is that it doesn't charge for international messages...

Like sometimes I would text my cousin in London and be charged like .50 cents or $1.00 sometimes for international texts.

But BBM and Pin messaging just uses data and so no international charges at all.

It's great especially if you make a lot of friends when you travel so that you can keep in touch.
    08-06-09 06:08 PM
    PIN messaging is not BBM. Compose a new message and select PIN. You must enter the PIN number of the user you're sending to. There is no limit to the number of characters. It is the same as email, but it just uses RIMs servers. Handy if you're BES and corporate servers go down and you don't have a feee email account like Gmail, Yahoo, etc... I've sent a couple on my Storm just to see what they look like and they appear as the color red in my inbox. I think it's an old school functionality that has lost its usefulness.

08-06-09 06:22 PM
    PIN messaging is not BBM. Compose a new message and select PIN. You must enter the PIN number of the user you're sending to. There is no limit to the number of characters. It is the same as email, but it just uses RIMs servers. Handy if you're BES and corporate servers go down and you don't have a feee email account like Gmail, Yahoo, etc... I've sent a couple on my Storm just to see what they look like and they appear as the color red in my inbox. I think it's an old school functionality that has lost its usefulness.

It was actually one of RIM's most secure message delivery options because it doesn't go anywhere besides your phone.

So let's say your hotmail account gets hacked and the person can read all your mail or changes the password etc... Or if anyone had the password it could be viewed anywhere. Let's say the office girlfriend sends you an email to a gmail account that your wife has the password to. She could open your gmail at home etc...

The pin message only goes to the specific device.
    08-06-09 08:41 PM
    It was actually one of RIM's most secure message delivery options because it doesn't go anywhere besides your phone.

So let's say your hotmail account gets hacked and the person can read all your mail or changes the password etc... Or if anyone had the password it could be viewed anywhere. Let's say the office girlfriend sends you an email to a gmail account that your wife has the password to. She could open your gmail at home etc...

The pin message only goes to the specific device.
    it is very secure because it only uses RIMs servers, not corporate (BES)...as I said.

08-06-09 08:44 PM
    it is very secure because it only uses RIMs servers, not corporate (BES)...as I said.

I meant no offense... I was just saying that because you said it wasn't as useful anymore.
    08-06-09 08:48 PM
    I meant no offense... I was just saying that because you said it wasn't as useful anymore.
    Gotch bro, none taken. I guess it is useful from a security/privacy standpoint. Just a pain to use because it has to be Blackberry to Blackberry and most free online accounts are pretty tight these days (unless you're a celebrity or politician)!

08-06-09 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD