Just got BB yesterday. Trying to lock phone. I obviously set up a password in the password keeper but can't remember the password. Can I reset it?
    06-22-08 08:58 PM
    I don't belive so bro..but I could be wrong... someone else will post if I am.. If i'm right, you'll have to wipe the phone and reset...
    06-22-08 09:06 PM
    No, its there for your protection.
    06-22-08 09:14 PM
    Question... Did you back your stuff up on the desktop manager before you set a password???
    If so just do a restore I think that would work. If not you're gonna have to wipe it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-08 09:18 PM
    thanks... figured it out... how do i lock my phone
    06-22-08 09:21 PM
    Put a password on your device: Options/Security Options/General Settings/Enable. Leave the number of attempts at 10, and set the timeout to whatever you want. If you enable content protection, be sure set "Include Address Book" to "No," or your Caller ID will stop working. Press the Escape key. You'll be prompted to enter a password and verify it. BE SURE YOU REMEMBER IT. There is no way to bypass the password on a blackberry. If you forget it, you will have no choice but to wipe the blackberry back to its factory-out-of-the-box configuration, which deletes all user data and resets the password.

It's a good idea to put a number to call in case found in your owner info field. That way, if somebody finds your locked bb, they can call you to return it. I lost mine in the Washington DC metro. Because it was locked with a number to call if found, I had it back in four hours.
    06-22-08 10:57 PM
    thank you JeffH that was extremely helpful... what exactly do content compression and content protection mean? and also strong, stronger, strongest?
    07-08-08 01:48 AM
    Been wondering that myself lately.
    07-08-08 01:53 AM
    thank you JeffH that was extremely helpful... what exactly do content compression and content protection mean? and also strong, stronger, strongest?
    Quoting from the Blackberry User Guide for the 8830...

Content protection is designed to encrypt your BlackBerry® device data. When content protection is turned on, your device uses a private
    key to encrypt data as it is stored on the device, including data that your device receives when it is locked. Your device decrypts data as
    you access it.

You can set content protection to include or exclude your contacts. If you turn on content protection for contacts and you receive a call
    when the device is locked, the caller name does not appear on the screen.
    When you lock your device, an open lock indicator appears in the device status section of the screen to indicate that your device is deleting
    a copy of the private key from the temporary device memory. A lock indicator appears when the device has deleted the key.

Protect your device data
    Verify that you have set a BlackBerry® device password.
    1. In the device options, click Security Options.
    2. Click General Settings.
    3. Set the Content Protection field to Enabled.
    4. To set content protection to exclude your contacts, set the Include Address Book field to No.
    5. Press the Menu key.
    6. Click Save.

Set content protection strength
    Verify that content protection is turned on.
    You can set the strength of the encryption that your BlackBerry® device uses to protect data that you receive when your device is locked.
    1. In the device options, click Security Options.
    2. Click General Settings.
    3. Set the Strength field.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Save.

Content compression is designed to reduce the size of your BlackBerry® device data while maintaining the integrity of that data. When
    content compression is turned on, your device compresses all device data, including messages, contacts, calendar entries, tasks, and
    memos. You should keep content compression turned on. If content compression and content protection are turned on, your device compresses device data before encrypting it.

The User Guide doesn't define the encryption strength levels.
    07-08-08 06:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD