From what I've gathered on here OS7 doesn't need better hardware then the planned hardware going into the new phones. So as though it may seem that RIM phones are falling behind the phones that have dual core and more ram they really aren't. They have what they need to get the job done. I keep seeing people talk about how their phones will be behind before they even come out, I don't see it that way at all. If you can get the job done with a single core instead of spending the money on dual core why do it? Yeah it would have made it so it could definitely get the QNX OS. But there is talk about what they can do to bring a hybrid OS of QNX and OS7. I admit that to most people it would seem that their phones would be behind if they didn't have the same specs, and that's what I thought when I first saw it.

I may be wrong here so if anyone can correct me on these points or put it into better wording for people to understand it that would be great

Also I was thinking about putting this into the OS section but put it here due to me feeling it was more so talking about RIM being behind the other companies. If the mods don't think so I won't be sad if you move it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 09:41 PM
    So, what is actually on this OS 7 (aka 6.1)?
    06-01-11 08:28 AM
    So, what is actually on this OS 7 (aka 6.1)?
    Everything "new" on OS 7 is basically built into the hardware. That's why the old OS 6 phones won't be able to run it. From what I've seen, OS 7 includes:

1. NFC
    2. Slight cosmetic changes
    3. Faster Browser
    4. Compass

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's basically all I've seen. OS 7 is way to big of a name for so little of a change.
    06-01-11 12:17 PM
    It has a better GPU than older blackberries. Without it, some of the new features of OS7 wouldn't be possible.
    06-26-11 12:29 PM
    60 fps screen refreshes. That's a big deal. And the browser benchmarks faster than Android and iOS. (An article posted on the forum earlier). Plus support for the WikiTude browser. That's just a few things I would say that are no small feats.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-11 05:38 PM
    I feel the same way. It just doesn't look like OS4 - OS5 - OS6 kind of upgrade, all they did is add some hardware. What's wrong with to just sticking to the OS6 name. Not all BB are equal, some has better cameras, processor, etc.

For wikitude you'd just need a digital compass, doesn't the torch 9800 have it? I mean my ~2y old nokia had wikitude. Right now Nokia phones from the past 2 years have digital compasses because Nokia Maps is free.

Screen refresh 60 fps? What is this gaming? Even most videos on the internet doesn't go over 30 fps, which I've heard is the limit of what the human eye can detect.

NFC is all fine and good on theory. But how many of us would be willing to pay electronically like this. People who has your phone can misuse it. I know there are other application for NFC but pulling product info is already widely used by using QR/Bar codes. Sure countries like Japan, HK like to experiment with new tech and they're also the ones that have high speed rails, etc.
    07-08-11 09:29 PM
    I feel the same way. It just doesn't look like OS4 - OS5 - OS6 kind of upgrade, all they did is add some hardware. What's wrong with to just sticking to the OS6 name. Not all BB are equal, some has better cameras, processor, etc.

For wikitude you'd just need a digital compass, doesn't the torch 9800 have it? I mean my ~2y old nokia had wikitude. Right now Nokia phones from the past 2 years have digital compasses because Nokia Maps is free.

Screen refresh 60 fps? What is this gaming? Even most videos on the internet doesn't go over 30 fps, which I've heard is the limit of what the human eye can detect.

NFC is all fine and good on theory. But how many of us would be willing to pay electronically like this. People who has your phone can misuse it. I know there are other application for NFC but pulling product info is already widely used by using QR/Bar codes. Sure countries like Japan, HK like to experiment with new tech and they're also the ones that have high speed rails, etc.

The Torch 9800 does not have a digital compass at all. And paying by phone makes sense in the long term actually (and I'd be willing to use it). On the positive end, you could have everything built into your phone: driver's license, passport, credit cards, debit cards, diner cards, savings/VIP cards....you could even send money to other people's phones (think like back in the good ol' IR days of sending files to someone next to you). This is on top of everything else that a smartphone does already. So it's a pretty neat future to have everything in one device.

On the negative end, it's everything in one device with near field communication tech. If your phone is lost, stolen, broken, or someone grabs data passing you by, you could run into issues...
    07-15-11 09:24 PM
    The only hardware for OS7 that troubles me is the amount of usable application memory. While we keep hearing about the 8Gb, there is nothing that suggests this can be used for Applications. If that is the case, we are left with using the RAM once again, with ~300mb if we are lucky for applications.

Consider that applications are now coming in the 1-5mb range each, this can start to be a problem very quickly.
    winzn likes this.
    07-22-11 09:36 AM
    The only hardware for OS7 that troubles me is the amount of usable application memory. While we keep hearing about the 8Gb, there is nothing that suggests this can be used for Applications. If that is the case, we are left with using the RAM once again, with ~300mb if we are lucky for applications.

Consider that applications are now coming in the 1-5mb range each, this can start to be a problem very quickly.
    A very valid point raised by you buddy... and its high time that RIM comes out with something and works out a solution in this direction !!!
    07-27-11 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD