Is anyone else concerned that OS7 will see little to none professional app development given its proximate release to QNX OS? As is, many app developers already entirely skip over BB because of the difficulties associated with its development and the low ceiling of profitability. But with an OS release announced to be mostly incompatible because of hardware with prior generations and with a lifetime of less than a year before it becomes incompatible with each succeeding generation; I ameft wondering if these devices will get the blunt end of app development. Your thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 07:50 AM
    I too worry that developers could fall off the band wagon of developing for os 7. Time will only tell tho. And how many people buy os 7 devices.

06-20-11 07:54 AM
    Or... It will be just like previous apps. They will work on the newer OS. Not no massive upgrade development needed?

Can't say for certain but seems like it maybe the same as OS5 to OS6 apps. They change some stuff then release it.
    06-20-11 07:55 AM
    I'm wondering since its still BBOS, will OS6 apps work with OS7. There doesn't seem to be a huge change in the structure from what we have seen.
    06-20-11 07:56 AM
    The hardware is really different. Graphics and NFC not to mention how apps are stored and run.

06-20-11 07:58 AM
    Hardware changes yes, software changes, seems like the same old BBOS with some UI tweaks. As far as I've read apps are still stored and run from internal memory, how is that any different then what we have in OS5 or OS6?
    06-20-11 08:01 AM
    What sparked the initial concern is that the Playbook is having a great deal of issues getting apps ported over. Then I thought about how different the hardware is. And how apps are now stored and launched from the memory that was previously walled off. And then I realized QNX is right around the corner...

06-20-11 08:04 AM
    Hardware changes yes, software changes, seems like the same old BBOS with some UI tweaks. As far as I've read apps are still stored and run from internal memory, how is that any different then what we have in OS5 or OS6?
    Apps are currently walled off in a seperate part of the OS. Partitioned if you will. That is no longer the case. You have lots of space on your device for media storage. But only a few hundred megs for applications. Now that partition is removed. All of the space is available. Also graphics are now offloaded.

centsofreason likes this.
    06-20-11 08:08 AM
    I know that the one thing developers will need to look at is the new screen resolutions. Since the new devices have 640x480 screens, any apps that have graphics with need to bump up the resolution. Some apps might already resize things from 480x360 on current devices, but that could mean awful looking graphics. Functionality should still work with little work (maybe just a rebuild).

I know I'm going to test out my apps (especial for graphics) and release a BB7 version.
    06-20-11 08:40 AM
    Appreciated Xopher.

06-20-11 08:55 AM
    How many bb's with OS 4 or OS 5 are still in use? It's not like everyone buys a new phone just because there is a new one out. These phone will be use by people for years yet. I would think there will be demand and profits to be made if they are there.
    06-20-11 09:01 AM
    maybe we wont see THAT many new apps, obviously OS 7 wont be a mass-app-platform, we'll have to wait for QNX for that

but i believe that we'll see quite a few OS 5 / OS 6 apps for OS 7 as well
    i think that some, maybe 4-5 apps which im currently using wont be available for OS 7, i think they stopped supporting it, been so long since updates came out etc

but at least all the main/really important apps will be available for OS 7
    one app im a little worried about is IM+, it currently has problems getting approved by RIM for appworld (on the playbook)

i just hope they'll let us use it on OS 7, since its the only app (or 1 of 2) which lets you use skype/icq i believe
    NEED THIS APP

IM (PLEASE.. currently they have a few problems getting it into appworld for the playbook, i mean.. i truly NEED it, it got icq/msn/skype/fb etc all in one.. its currently the only app (or 1 of 2) which lets you use icq/skype as well..i really need it)
    06-20-11 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD