I'm actually very surprise that most people still fall back on the original OS5 browser or even a 3rd party browser like Opera mini over OS6 browser.

First of all, I've never tried OS6 browser yet but I knew the significance of that browser was for RIM considering how bad the old OS5 browser were(slow). Now that its been out for a while, I'm wondering why so many people dismissed it already and having to revert back to OS5 browser? I thought RIM had a company called Torch(not to be confuse with the phone of the same name) to create a fast webkit browser to compete with iOS and android. So what went wrong here? Its alarming even after all of these years of RIM investing on a true webkit browser, its not what the people want. Just need some feed back from OS6 user on their opinion on the browser.

I own a Tour with using Opera Mini 6 as my main browser and love it with its blazing speed and ease of use. I thought about upgrading to the new Bold with OS6, but after hearing about its browser, maybe I should wait until a more advance BB comes out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-11 12:54 PM
    Nothing is wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. I have the Torch 9800 and love the browser.
    07-02-11 01:47 PM
    How can you make judgments about a browser you've never tried? Don't base your decision on the overwrought discussions you see on Crackberry.com. Borrow a Torch from a friend and try it, or get your own, try it, and if you don't like it, return it within the applicable return time.

07-02-11 02:48 PM
    Well, for me it's taking a bit of getting used to. I liked the Browser on my old os 4.5 8330m. I preferred a simplistic column view and always hated doing all this zooming. I blame RIM for listening to all the people crying that they wanted a "better" (i.e. different) browser. I suppose they'll improve it, or I'll learn some other tricks to make it's usage better, but let this be a lesson to RIM: if you listen to all those wise "consumers" who want BlackBerry to be more like Android or iPhone, you'll end up with a BlackBerry that's FUBAR; BlackBerry is not meant to be like iphone and Android, nor do intelligent consumers want or expect it to be like those two. BlackBerry is its own.

07-02-11 04:08 PM
    Sorry bro, but the BB6 browser isn't very differant from Apples Safari and Andriods.. what ever they call it I can't remember. It's a Web-kit based browser. Web-kit is used by Apple in all versions of Safari, by Google in Chrome and their Mobile browser, and now by RIM in the Torch browser. The only complaint that can be made here is not one of the OS6 Browser, but of the lacking hardware power in current BlackBerry's. Their lacking CPU power slows down the rendering speeds of the browser.
    07-03-11 12:38 AM
    How can you make judgments about a browser you've never tried? Don't base your decision on the overwrought discussions you see on Crackberry.com. Borrow a Torch from a friend and try it, or get your own, try it, and if you don't like it, return it within the applicable return time.

Exactly. May I add that most of the complaints came during the early OS versions. Besides the improvements that came with the updates, I reckon most users have got used to the webkit by now already.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-03-11 01:29 AM
    The only complaint that can be made here is not one of the OS6 Browser, but of the lacking hardware power in current BlackBerry's. Their lacking CPU power slows down the rendering speeds of the browser.
    That is not true. Opera Mini on the same device renders pages as fast as my desktop computer.

As for the software being comparable to what Apple uses, perhaps the problem lies on the server end. The BlackBerry browser depends on a service provider operated by RIM that seems to be running on an original Pentium computer. App World has the same problem, it takes forever and a day to download a tiny 2 megabyte app on there.
    07-04-11 11:23 AM
    That is not true. Opera Mini on the same device renders pages as fast as my desktop computer.

As for the software being comparable to what Apple uses, perhaps the problem lies on the server end. The BlackBerry browser depends on a service provider operated by RIM that seems to be running on an original Pentium computer. App World has the same problem, it takes forever and a day to download a tiny 2 megabyte app on there.
    I'm sorry but you must have a very slow computer or very slow internet connection. Opera on my home PC will completely load a page, Flash and all before my Torch even passes the "requesting" stage. I have just tested this with cnn.com yahoo.com google.com techreport.com and hardocp.com. I allowed the Torch to use the mobile versions of sites as well as the full version of sites. if you want a test that shows this even better then try to load the full crackberry site on your Torch, it will take ages for it to fully load. The lag you see on the Torch is primarily because of the CPU bottleneck. I will grant you that the information having to go through BIS does factor in, but not in transfer speeds, only request to begin load times.

EDIT: Opera Mini does handle rendered pages slightly better than the stock browser, but this is due to special way Opera renders pages and Operas own compression. One thing to also note, Opera Mini will never render pages as correctly as the Torch Browser.
    Last edited by Philldoe; 07-13-11 at 01:26 AM.
    07-13-11 01:22 AM
    Some of you may find this interesting but I'm using the Iris v1.1.9 browser (last version, from a month before RIM bought Torch Mobile) on a Samsung Epix & not only does it perform very well though missing polish, but it DOES have Column View! Overall, on the Epix this browser performs about the same as on a 9700. I can't think of any reason why RIM got rid of Column View when not only did their original browser had it but the acquired browser also had it! Anyone have any theories? After comparing this browser to others on Windows Mobile, it becomes obvious why RIM bought Torch Mobile out back in 2009 when they didn't have a good browser of their own & maybe not enough talent in that area to make one in-house.

07-13-11 02:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD