I actually like OS5 too..... I though I was the only one on here ...... What's nice FOR ME is the fact they add extra's and more consumer friendly features without killing the BB feel. I don't really care much about media and pics but I'm interested in the new browser and also that new search feature I saw in the video.

Should be nice.

It looks great to me but I actually like OS 5 so what do I know.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 09:52 PM
    iLike my tour.
    05-03-10 10:07 PM
    Not withstanding your other long post and some others can a GSM phone be used without a SIM? Your small company mentality and lack of knowledge about what large companies are up to in the security arena kind of shows in these posts.

Bottom line I personally don't care if you hack your phone Zie Gazunt.

lol, both you and the puppy dog avatar person above you totally missed the intent of that info. The SIM gets pulled to turn off network support on the phone, so the wipe command doesn't come through. (Yep, stuaw11 grasped the concept.) Now, true, if password protected and you don't know the password, you can't get at the data, but if you're creative enough, you can pull the SIM out without interrupting power, of course taking into affect that the screen hasn't timed out and locked itself back up. But, let's turn this around a bit and just say it's an employee who's stolen their own BB because they wanted to farm the info on it after they left the company. So, they would already know the password. They then take their SIM out or turn the cell radio off (if CDMA), power it back on, unlock with password, turn wireless sync off on the contacts, etc. And then backup/sync the device with DM and poof... all the data is in their own personal Outlook PST.

Wow, now we're really off subject. lol
    05-03-10 10:10 PM
    "Wow, now we're really off subject."

"now"??? Give me a break. You have been asked to bring this back on topic. Don't pretend like you give a crap, as you obviously don't.

05-04-10 05:26 AM

"now"??? Give me a break. You have been asked to bring this back on topic. Don't pretend like you give a crap, as you obviously don't.

Nobody asked anything...

05-04-10 05:39 AM
    There have been more leaks of the slider including actual pictures, so the odds are that it will be showing up well in advance of the storm 3.
    I'm betting that the 9800 slider will be the be the first device shipped with 6. Unless the reason that the Dakota is being kept so tightly under wraps is that it's going to be the first to ship with 6.
    05-04-10 05:53 AM
    I wonder if, like OS5, it will drop on an in market device first. See, this is where RIM turns over too much control to the carriers.

05-04-10 06:36 AM
    I wonder if, like OS5, it will drop on an in market device first. See, this is where RIM turns over too much control to the carriers.

I really do hope that they decide that they will push the updates directly to the phones without requiring the blessings of a carrier, like Apple does.
    BES users will still have to wait for IT to approve it, but BIS users will get it right away.
    05-04-10 10:49 AM
    I really do hope that they decide that they will push the updates directly to the phones without requiring the blessings of a carrier, like Apple does.
    BES users will still have to wait for IT to approve it, but BIS users will get it right away.
    Based on some of what they said in the WES podcast a lot of us think this way but RIM would never do it. I definitely think they need to do something. Although it isn't as simple as apple who has 1 device, even if 3 iterations. RIM has many many more devices. So could they even do 1 big OS update each year? Maybe when all BB's are trackpad/touchscreen and running on OS 6 they could, but who knows.
    05-04-10 11:16 AM
    RIM loves the carriers too much to bypass them and send out OS updates directly to the user. That is one of RIM's biggest weaknesses, their love for the carriers.
    05-04-10 12:18 PM
    Last edited by pkcable; 05-05-10 at 09:27 PM. Reason: put direct video
    05-05-10 08:40 PM

OS6 is a big fat beyotch. If the Clamshell has 512MB of Flash for app memory, OS6 is a big fat pig. lol

True, we don't know how many apps are installed on the device, but how many apps could be loaded on a device who's obviously getting pics taken of it IN THE BATHROOM OF THE WORK PLACE THAT IT'S FROM. lol
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-05-10 at 09:18 PM.
    05-05-10 09:15 PM
    As much as I think Civic is crazy sometimes.. She has a good point! I would bet that device doesn't have many apps on it. The memory card is not even inserted. So os6 on my 9550 won't have much memory left for apps or themes. It will be like living with my 9530 all over again and it is a while before upgrade time...

05-06-10 08:17 AM
    they might have just slapped in 256mb in the prototype, because it does not mention a 2-4gb internal memory, which would be a step backwards for RIM.
    Then again the Pearl2 does not appear to have internal memory...
    05-06-10 08:24 AM
    Yikes, no kidding! I was hoping for some OS 6 love for my Tour (yes, I know, we have information that supports the contrary), but if I only had 20 or 30 MB to play with, it would be like running my old 8330 again. Maybe shrink-a-os would be in order.

05-06-10 08:28 AM
    they might have just slapped in 256mb in the prototype, because it does not mention a 2-4gb internal memory, which would be a step backwards for RIM.
    Then again the Pearl2 does not appear to have internal memory...
    I don't see how it could have 283 MB free if it only had 256 MB to begin with.

05-06-10 08:32 AM
    ah, i thought it said 1xx.
    now you nshall feel my pain.
    :P
    05-06-10 08:35 AM
    ah, i thought it said 1xx.
    now you nshall feel my pain.
    :P
    Lol! And I was hoping for a pain-free day.

05-06-10 08:39 AM
    As much as I think Civic is crazy sometimes.. She has a good point! I would bet that device doesn't have many apps on it. The memory card is not even inserted. So os6 on my 9550 won't have much memory left for apps or themes. It will be like living with my 9530 all over again and it is a while before upgrade time...

It's funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing when I posted the pic above. If that's all you have out of 512MB, then I don't expect much past 30MB or so from an S2 with 256MB onboard. Yikes! Storm 1 anyone? lol

If you ask me, having 283MB left from 512 is still too little. Yes, it's a lot in contrast to what you have now, but I don't look at it in terms of "how much you have left". I look at it in terms of "how much is being taken up by the OS alone"... in other words, the ratio of total to occupied by base load. Losing over 50% to just the OS load spells "insufficient memory" to me... but that's just me. lol

If an OS for your computer required 4GB of hard drive space to load, you wouldn't install an 8GB hard drive in the PC would you?
    05-06-10 08:54 AM

OS6 is a big fat beyotch. If the Clamshell has 512MB of Flash for app memory, OS6 is a big fat pig. lol

True, we don't know how many apps are installed on the device, but how many apps could be loaded on a device who's obviously getting pics taken of it IN THE BATHROOM OF THE WORK PLACE THAT IT'S FROM. lol
    it's probably loaded with a bunch of stuff if it's an evaluation unit...
    05-06-10 08:54 AM
    it's probably loaded with a bunch of stuff if it's an evaluation unit...
    Like what? Certaily not 3rd party applications... not that many apps out there are coded for OS6. Besides, the bug reporting tools for the OS are not that big. Looking at how much an S2 has left over after an OS load, (about 50% free), this memory range seems to be what RIM's comfortable with. I guess they look at it as the glass being half full.
    05-06-10 08:58 AM
    maybe its not 512, maybe its 384? Has it been said it comes with 512mb?
    05-06-10 09:00 AM
    Now the question is...which apps to keep with my whopping 30MB of memory? Or do I just bite the bullet and get a different device that has a real browser and one I can put enough apps on?

05-06-10 09:02 AM
    Who knows what is installed on the phone. Certainly none of us do. Might as well jump all over RIM about it anyway, I guess... Sigh

There will be plenty of opportunity to complain about 6.0 when we actually have the facts. I have no doubt that there will be tons of complaints about all kinds of things, including (but not limited to) memory footprint, and what handsets are excluded.

05-06-10 01:56 PM
    I have no doubt that there will be tons of complaints about all kinds of things, including (but not limited to) memory footprint, and what handsets are excluded.
    No need to wait! I hereby register my official complaint that my precious Tour is being discriminated against by BlackBerry 6. It's already beginning to demonstrate signs of societal withdrawal and functional disengagement. I fear that suicide is just around the corner.

It's right, you know. I'll cast it aside like a wet dish rag for the next thing that catches my eye.

Well...I feel better already.

05-06-10 02:14 PM
671 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD