04-16-14 05:19 PM
917 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    BB7 devices, or at least high-end BB7 devices, weren't (and amazingly still aren't) exactly cheap.

On a related note, many companies have switched to alternative mobile operating systems because they do e-mail and calls well enough for the employers' purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    Wrong, they switched to BYOD which means that it's now the employee's choice but also means It's the employee that pays for it from now on.

#believeinfilm
    04-08-14 09:31 AM
    They are not. They are moving away from BlackBerry hardware and services entirely.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    Which MDM are they using? Good? Where I work just replaced everyone BB with BYOD. And BES is being shut down, no BB is allowed on BYOD. nit sure anyone here knows about BB10 or would choose it if they could. Good is what they are using here now.
    04-08-14 09:31 AM
    Yup, Good got the contract and the business that BlackBerry lost.

I never imagined that my agency would ever leave BlackBerry. But....they have.

04-08-14 09:34 AM
    Irrational BlackBerry hatred... leading to companies choosing inferior and less secure messaging platforms. crazy!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 09:38 AM
    Yup, Good got the contract and the business that BlackBerry lost.

I never imagined that my agency would ever leave BlackBerry. But....they have.

I didn't think they would here either. HealthCare operation.
    04-08-14 09:39 AM
    I always preferred the 9900 to the iPhone 4s when I had to use both. Mind you I enjoyed playing Need for Speed on the iPhone. That about sums it up for me!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 09:40 AM
    Guess too bad for both BlackBerry and the agency.
    Well by now there is plenty of precedence and actual user cases of post BlackBerry wireless use in the federal government, everything from DoD to DHS, to NASA, to Energy. The path has been well laid out. And contrary to many Crackberrians' expectations, the sky has not fallen, there have been no breaches, and Olympus has not fallen.

It was a sad day when I held a Note 2 in my hand instead of a BlackBerry. But, frankly, with the aid of the native split screen, communication and productivity are greatly enhanced.

04-08-14 09:42 AM
    No you can't lol, no true push email for up to 10 accounts plus one secure and private on device only email address, no awesome keyboard and definitely not at the same price/monthly payments etc

Also why should anybody buy a device with all the gaming capability if they'll never ever play on it? Don't you think that would be a waste?

#believeinfilm
    Understand what you are saying, however, BlackBerry can't continue and get stronger only producing email, text and phone call phones. They got big initially because they had phones that would do what no one else could. Now everyone does MORE than that. BlackBerry has to keep up. There aren't enough people left that only want the basics. I bought my first ever BlackBerry in January, my second in march. I never would have done it if they didn't have most of the same capabilities my android did. My kids are teenage girls who are using and completely happy with a z10 because it does more than send texts,emails and make phone calls. I really like my bb10 phones. They could get more native apps and I'd be happier, but it's all good. Bottom line is, legacy devices don't cut it for the majority.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 09:43 AM
    Irrational BlackBerry hatred... leading to companies choosing inferior and less secure messaging platforms. crazy!

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Pragmatism.

As far as security....when was the last breach at DoD? DHS? NASA? When were nuclear reactor schematics leaked from an iPhone?

04-08-14 09:45 AM
    Well by now there is plenty of precedence and actual user cases of post BlackBerry wireless use in the federal government, everything from DoD to DHS, to NASA, to Energy. The path has been well laid out. And contrary to many Crackberrians' expectations, the sky has not fallen, there have been no breaches, and Olympus has not fallen.

It was a sad day when I held a Note 2 in my hand instead of a BlackBerry. But, frankly, with the aid of the native split screen, communication and productivity are greatly enhanced.

If i'm going to borrow John Chen's words..

just got to wait for the earthquake to come and hit.
    04-08-14 09:46 AM

Agencies and corporations need to weigh the risks. Many are doing their due diligence in researching secure options and processes that would allow them to conduct business without being dependent on a single point of failure for their communication needs.

When looking at BlackBerry the last two years and their precipitous decline, agencies and corporations have decided to pursue other options. I can't blame them.

kbz1960 and Shadowyugi like this.
    04-08-14 09:56 AM

It came and gone aka Snowden Files.

#believeinfilm
    04-08-14 09:58 AM

The earthquake may or may not happen. They have been counting on the earthquake for years now or have always felt when it happens everyone will come back. It still could happen but it hasn't yet.
    04-08-14 09:58 AM

#believeinfilm
    If that is the case BBRY and everyone else waiting and hoping were all wrong or did millions already change back to BBRY after the earthquake?
    04-08-14 10:00 AM
    And by the way, in business, a company waiting for an opponent to fail in order to succeed is the clearest path to ensure its own failure.

kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 10:01 AM
    The earthquake may or may not happen. They have been counting on the earthquake for years now or have always felt when it happens everyone will come back. It still could happen but it hasn't yet.
    which is true. Then again you cannot expect the same preparation or readiness.

Just a off-topic example:

my uncle in law is a retired ranger. Erm, something like US Marines / Delta Force. Has his shotgun all the time with him. Can't blame him, he survived WW2 as a kid, and then communist insurgency as a young man.

And he always have some sort of booby traps in his house.

We call him paranoid.

He's just hardened from experience.

But back on topic, most of the time, or many times now, things are often able to be cut off in the bud before something really serious happens. Although, sometimes, things don't happen even though they can happen.
    04-08-14 10:03 AM

#believeinfilm
    With zero impact in corporations' exodus from BlackBerry. No federal agency returned, like wayward prodigal children...

04-08-14 10:03 AM
    If that is the case BBRY and everyone else waiting and hoping were all wrong or did millions already change back to BBRY after the earthquake?
    And by the way, in business, a company waiting for an opponent to fail in order to succeed is the clearest path to ensure its own failure.

To put to that both, I think that is extreme.
    I think BlackBerry's very simple premise of basic day to day security is good enough, if you need a hardened version of things. That earthquake example is probably an extreme version.

Like how Californians supposedly have been told that there will be super earthquake waiting to happen anytime?
    04-08-14 10:04 AM
    which is true. Then again you cannot expect the same preparation or readiness.

Just a off-topic example:

my uncle in law is a retired ranger. Erm, something like US Marines / Delta Force. Has his shotgun all the time with him. Can't blame him, he survived WW2 as a kid, and then communist insurgency as a young man.

And he always have some sort of booby traps in his house.

We call him paranoid.

He's just hardened from experience.

But back on topic, most of the time, or many times now, things are often able to be cut off in the bud before something really serious happens. Although, sometimes, things don't happen even though they can happen.
    And what experience has there been of breaches at those agencies that have moved away from BlackBerry as a direct result of having moved away?

To be sure, the decision was not mine. But I can see their train of thought. They see BlackBerry's health of greater risk than deployment of nonBlackBerry devices. And in the absence of substantive evidence that the security risk is high, they opted for iOS which is produced by a hugely solvent company and Android which can be customised to their satisfaction.

04-08-14 10:09 AM
    To put to that both, I think that is extreme.
    I think BlackBerry's very simple premise of basic day to day security is good enough, if you need a hardened version of things. That earthquake example is probably an extreme version.

Like how Californians supposedly have been told that there will be super earthquake waiting to happen anytime?
    I'm so sorry but I'm not grasping your point. Must be in need of some Mountain Dew.

04-08-14 10:11 AM
    Wrong, they switched to BYOD which means that it's now the employee's choice but also means It's the employee that pays for it from now on.

#believeinfilm
    That's a pretty broad assumption. Not all BYOD policies require you to pay for the device. At my company we have a limited BYOD policy that we can use any phone but an Android phone, but the company still picks up the tab. We get a free upgrade every two years and don't have to pay for anything. I would gather that some companies are going to require you to pay for the device, but if that's the case its pretty concerning that people are electing to pay for their own devices rather than use a Blackberry. No one at my company uses a legacy device any more and most of it is due to the awful web browser of those phones.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 10:12 AM
    I'm so sorry but I'm not grasping your point. Must be in need of some Mountain Dew.

never mind. leave it at that.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 10:12 AM
    That's a pretty broad assumption. Not all BYOD policies require you to pay for the device. At my company we have a limited BYOD policy that we can use any phone but an Android phone, but the company still picks up the tab. We get a free upgrade every two years and don't have to pay for anything. I would gather that some companies are going to require you to pay for the device, but if that's the case its pretty concerning that people are electing to pay for their own devices rather than use a Blackberry. No one at my company uses a legacy device any more and most of it is due to the awful web browser of those phones.
    Sorry to point out the obvious but if the employer pays for it it's no longer "bring your own device" scenario

#believeinfilm
    04-08-14 10:16 AM
    never mind. leave it at that.
    Way cool....

kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 10:16 AM
    While it's discussed, Dyson UK has changed away from Legacy BES to iPhones now.

#believeinfilm
    04-08-14 10:17 AM
917 ... 3233343536 ...