Wish they would reveal the revenue from device sales bb7 vs bb10.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    03-28-14 09:22 AM
    And the phones are really cheap

The Z10 in UK was the same price as the Curve 9720........

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 09:23 AM
    Wish they would reveal the revenue from device sales bb7 vs bb10.

How about last quarter 53% of the revenue was from service revenues mostly tied to BBOS. What more do you need to know? I don't know what this quarter is.

Edit: it's 56% this quarter.

#believeinfilm
    southlander likes this.
    03-28-14 09:24 AM
    That's because many carriers have stopped selling BB10 devices. 3 Mobile UK only sells the 9320 and 9720 now, no more BB10. Why do you think that is?

#believeinfilm
    It was not properly advertised, marketed, and was lacking a few key features... if BlackBerry 10.3 (I don't think that the current leak is exactly what the final os will look like) had been the os release with the tool belt I think sales could have been different. I believe a certain amount of users found BlackBerry 10 to be a difficult switch.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:25 AM
    It was not properly advertised, marketed, and was lacking a few key features... if BlackBerry 10.3 (I don't think that the current leak is exactly what the final os will look like) had been the os release with the tool belt I think sales could have been different. I believe a certain amount of users found BlackBerry 10 to be a difficult switch.

Posted via CB10
    The Curve line is not advertised or marketed at all, still outsells BB10.

By the way, the Flagship BB7 devices are no longer available, so it's basically 9720s and 9320s that combined outsell all the BB10 devices by 3 to 1.

#believeinfilm
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-28-14 09:27 AM
    It's basically like saying windows 8 was selling poorly, so rather than fix the issues we should just move back to dos.

I agree with the Windows reference, but I think your quote is moving too far backwards. The good analogy of what's going on is the article that came out recently - 95% of bank ATMs face Windows XP security deadline - Mar. 4, 2014 - where XP is still the dominant operating system for certain sectors of business even though Windows 7 has shaped up a lot recently, well over the fledgling Windows 8.

I'm on board whole-heartedly with trying to get as many people to realize the benefits and advancements of BB10 over BBOS 7 and below, but the fact is that the old adage does prove true time and again; people don't like change.

BB needs to find a way of either appealing people to change effectively by incorporating enough of the BBOS features into BB10 that it isn't as large a shock during someone's transition that they return to BBOS (as evidenced by the 2013 launch), or they need to do like they're doing now and appeal to both markets. The thing that every one needs to remember, though, is that a dual-appeal effort still keeps BB in the game, just not in the way we would like to see it...

Blame people afraid of change, not just the company itself.
    acovey likes this.
    03-28-14 09:29 AM
    I still think it's stupid for BlackBerry to continue this line of devices. Wasn't the whole purpose of the Q20 to get those crippled people moving forward by including their belts on the device? Keep wasting money BlackBerry.

Posted via 10.3 on Verizon
    extisis likes this.
    03-28-14 09:29 AM
    Great now, are they going to be cheap like current bbos phones that are cheap? If not they won't sell any better than bb10. People are buying bbos phones because they are cheap and they can't afford the more expensive phones. If they are priced like a premium phone the only people getting them will be enterprise that is stuck on old BES. Hope it works out for them but I also hope they don't spread themselves too thin.

Are they upgrading the OS or is staying the same? Hardware?
    03-28-14 09:31 AM
    I still think it's stupid for BlackBerry to continue this line of devices. Wasn't the whole purpose of the Q20 to get those crippled people moving forward by including their belts on the device? Keep wasting money BlackBerry.

Lol, where do you think the money comes from? Hint, not from 1.1 million BB10 devices

#believeinfilm
    bbq10l, acovey and jegs2 like this.
    03-28-14 09:31 AM
    Great now, are they going to be cheap like current bbos phones that are cheap? If not they won't sell any better than bb10. People are buying bbos phones because they are cheap and they can't afford the more expensive phones. If they are priced like a premium phone the only people getting them will be enterprise that is stuck on old BES. Hope it works out for them but I also hope they don't spread themselves too thin.

Are they upgrading the OS or is staying the same? Hardware?
    Why do we keep assuming it's the price? In UK the Z10 was the same price as the Curve 9720, why isn't it selling?

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 09:33 AM
    Lol, where do you think the money comes from? Hint, not from 1.1 million BB10 devices

#believeinfilm
    That's not my point. My point was that the Q20 was supposed to bring those people over. Everyone on crackberry was defending the Q20 down to their last breath because it had a little ball and belt to play with. And now BlackBerry is like. Let's just waste money on the Q20 and go backwards five years.

extisis and amjass12 like this.
    03-28-14 09:37 AM
    Prepaid carriers and cheap prices like the ones in the picture below are why OS7 sells as well as it does...

OS 7 will continue!-img_20140328_073235.png

Posted via CB10
    felixweber likes this.
    03-28-14 09:39 AM
    Omg lmao!!! Said they were moving backwards in my rant and got a lot of crap for it!! Lol I'm laughing!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:41 AM
    I don't see why both can't simultaneously exist, there are many reasons why BBOS still outsells BlackBerry 10.including lack of compression on BlackBerry 10 perceived difficult learning curve. The mis perception that there was something wrong with BlackBerry 10. The pricing, stability etc etc are all factors for this. The idea is to keep the numbers up and if it means supporting both so be it.

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 and acovey like this.
    03-28-14 09:42 AM
    I don't see why both can't simultaneously exist, there are many reasons why BBOS still outsells BlackBerry 10.including lack of compression on BlackBerry 10 perceived difficult learning curve. The mis perception that there was something wrong with BlackBerry 10. The pricing, stability etc etc are all factors for this. The idea is to keep the numbers up and if it means supporting both so be it.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't look good to stockholders.

extisis likes this.
    03-28-14 09:43 AM

I will add that it is confusing for consumers and might add to the popular theory that BlackBerry is going out of business

Posted via CB10
    extisis and coldRooster like this.
    03-28-14 09:45 AM
    Is that what you're worried about, that it will kill the Z3?

Think about it this way, BB could sell one Z3 on a 2 year contract and make little profit or:

They could sell a BB7 device on a 2 year contract make a little profit but also bring in 24 months of service revenue maybe more if the device is then sold second hand and gets activated again.

I know what I'd choose.

#believeinfilm
    If that's the case, I agreed with you.

Except on Asian markets, the OS 7 device is no longer attractive (you know why, apps).
    The Z3 should be the main device to attracts new customers from other platforms which was a BlackBerry user before & make loyal BlackBerry users switch to new device before they make their move to another platform.

But, why need 2 years contract for a less than $200 device ?
    03-28-14 09:48 AM
    I will add that it is confusing for consumers and might add to the popular theory that BlackBerry is going out of business

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. It just makes BlackBerry look like they can't make up their mind.

03-28-14 09:49 AM
    You did call it, Belfast... So good call.

Personally though, at the very least in the UK...

BBOS7 will kill BlackBerry and BB10 will die off. They should have phased it out since the release and launch of BB10 (even if they offered continual support). That's the only way to subconsciously force people to move on to BB10 and the new brilliant OS. Us diehard BB fans can not keep the company afloat.

A lot of us are unsatisfied as it is, and we're just holding on because we are hoping that something happens to redeem the company. And we are not as much as we once were...
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-28-14 09:57 AM

But, why need 2 years contract for a less than $200 device ?
    Cheaper monthly payments or more minutes:data/SMS for the same monthly payments.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 09:57 AM

Here is initial reaction.

Why BlackBerry (BBRY) Stock Is Up Today - TheStreet
    southlander and jegs2 like this.
    03-28-14 10:00 AM
    Yeah. It's a sell because it's still to volatile.
    It's not that BlackBerry is doing better. It's they aren't doing as bad as expected. They're still doing bad. And in the long run will continue to do so, I believe.
    03-28-14 10:03 AM

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    03-28-14 10:04 AM
    Oh... BlackBerry...
    03-28-14 10:11 AM
    That is all. They called me crazy!

#believeinfilm
    Do you think they would sell if it was a $500 flagship phone? I personally think the only way they can sell these things is if it was just a phone. No camera or any other bells and whistles. Would you buy a laptop with windows 98 when you can get the same laptop, at the same cost, with windows 8? It seems crazy to me. Price is going to be a huge factor. If they expect companies to pay a premium for os7, they are out of their minds. They should be using their resources to get all of the features from os7 into bb10. BB10 is slick and it has a lot if potential. All of the potential of os7 has been tapped. It doesn't have a future. There will be the stubborn diehard legacy fans that won't give it up but it isn't going to attract new customers. I guess this would be a good idea if the plan was only to keep existing legacy users.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    03-28-14 10:13 AM
917 12345 ...