I don't buy the high return argument even learning curve is a insult to people's intelligence...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I have to disagree, I work in the tech industry and people aren't has tech savvy as one would think. It's not a bad thing, hence why I still have a job.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 03:46 PM
    I have to disagree, I work in the tech industry and people aren't has tech savvy as one would think. It's not a bad thing, hence why I still have a job.

Posted via CB10
    I'll tell you what. In the past people took their time to learn new tech. Nowadays people want things right now with instant gratification. This generation is just now now now. When in reality it's not so simple.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-06-14 03:58 PM
    PlayBook launched before BB7 with a brand new OS based on QNX that will later become BB10. Which means they started work on the new OS in 2009 or earlier.
    Considering they actually purchased QNX in April of 2010, (around the same time BlackBerry 6 was coming to market) that'd be quite a feat.

There is no evidence to show they did all they could with BBOS,
    You're seriously reaching dude ...
    Dave Bourque and kbz1960 like this.
    04-06-14 04:06 PM
    I'll tell you what. In the past people took their time to learn new tech. Nowadays people want things right now with instant gratification. This generation is just now now now. When in reality it's not so simple.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Lol, you sound like someone my age!

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    04-06-14 04:08 PM
    Let's look at the facts:

PlayBook launched before BB7 with a brand new OS based on QNX that will later become BB10. Which means they started work on the new OS in 2009 or earlier.

So don't tell me they didn't have the intention to drop BBOS, they probably thought they could do it sooner.

BB7 was an afterthought, it was a last minute half arsed effort. It was supposed to be OS6.1 and on lower hardware.

There is no evidence to show they did all they could with BBOS, they planned long ago to switch to BB10 or BBX as they used to call it.

#believeinfilm
    I think all the evidence was in the spinning clock.
    extisis and kbz1960 like this.
    04-06-14 04:11 PM
    I begin to wonder even with marketing if that would of made a difference.
    Probably not, but I doubt it's for the reasons you listed. The OS had issues, but I doubt the customers even tried it to encounter them. This isn't like the Storm where customers bought millions of them and were so turned off that they defected. They read the reviews that said, "NO apps" and "BlackBerry going under" and doubt most went further than that.

I maintain that BlackBerry 10 is *NOT* a difficult OS to learn. I've seen people have no problem whatosever picking it up. But it is different ... different from BlackBerry OS and a leap and different from iOS and Android. As an OS, I think it's actually pretty intuitive and seriously doubt that if we did a study with new smartphone users on a desert island, it would come across as difficult compared to the others.

3- What they should have done was to put the content of the BBOS on top of OS 10 then fading it out slowly = Q20
    There were plans to originally, but it was dropped due to complexity/time. Can't find the article about it.
    04-06-14 04:13 PM
    Probably not, but I doubt it's for the reasons you listed. The OS had issues, but I doubt the customers even tried it to encounter them. This isn't like the Storm where customers bought millions of them and were so turned off that they defected. They read the reviews that said, "NO apps" and "BlackBerry going under" and doubt most went further than that.

I maintain that BlackBerry 10 is *NOT* a difficult OS to learn. I've seen people have no problem whatosever picking it up. But it is different ... different from BlackBerry OS and a leap and different from iOS and Android. As an OS, I think it's actually pretty intuitive and seriously doubt that if we did a study with new smartphone users on a desert island, it would come across as difficult compared to the others.

There were plans to originally, but it was dropped due to complexity/time. Can't find the article about it.

I remember reading a story in here months ago that someone in a company (CEO or Boss) bought the Z10 when it came out then got frustrated cause he couldn't find how to work with and was saying "bring me a real phone..lol"
    Today, I also have a windows phone 8 and when I first power it up everything was in front of me. So easy, no need to think and I think that is why WPhone got the third place. I don't think they had that much problem with their software and the pricing way much cheaper.

I don't say that OS 10 is not good. it is.
    04-06-14 04:34 PM
    Considering they actually purchased QNX in April of 2010, (around the same time BlackBerry 6 was coming to market) that'd be quite a feat.

You're seriously reaching dude ...
    RIM worked with QNX on the new OS long before they actually bought them, look it up.

RIM bought QNX in the same year they launched the PlayBook, think about it, do you really think they whipped it up in a month?

#believeinfilm
    04-06-14 04:57 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    This is true, most people expect to turn on whatever tech they own and have it work similarly to what they already know.

Brings us back on topic, BB10 although a awesome OS, the UI looks like IOS, runs Android apps, and has BlackBerry icons, that's where the similarity ends. It doesn't operate like either of those 3 OS.

My wife has an iphone, she had one since day 1. There's absolutely no chance that she would switch. My phone runs circles around her phone and it absolutely doesn't matter. Apple has her business probably for life.

For myself, BlackBerry has my business since 2007. I'm using a Q10, even though I like it, if I'm force to use an all touch my next phone probably be something else. There's certain things I miss from BBOS.

Continuing the 9900 production is probably a stop gap to keep their corporate customers until the Q20? I don't really know, there's absolutely no arm by doing this. Keeping their corporate using a BlackBerry has to be priority at this point if they leave they aren't coming back.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 06:16 PM
    RIM bought QNX in the same year they launched the PlayBook, think about it, do you really think they whipped it up in a month?
    Nope, it was whipped up in a year. I know people who worked on it. Mike and Jim even said themselves in a conference call that they birthed a tablet in a year.
    goku_vegeta and kbz1960 like this.
    04-06-14 06:28 PM
    Nope, it was whipped up in a year. I know people who worked on it. Mike and Jim even said themselves in a conference call that they birthed a tablet in a year.
    10-11 months sounds about right, it's the same number I've also heard mentioned before.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    04-06-14 06:38 PM
    I love BB10, there were a few things I missed from BBOS, most of them I can't remember anymore (so they could not have been that vital to my day to day use). The only thing I would love is custom sound profiles. Not worth going back to my Torch though.
    04-07-14 02:06 AM
    And unfortunately it really showed! :/

So much potential, such lousy software.

Even if they just hadn't used Adobe Air for the UI it would have felt better and snappier to use even today. But then that's probably how they managed to do it in a year.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    04-07-14 08:10 PM
    BBOS7-8 will prevail, and will reach the heights BB10 never will

Legacy devices actually meant business and ease of use.
    BB10 looks like a cross b/w android and iOS. seriously
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    04-08-14 12:21 AM
    Point is they intended to start a new OS long ago, which means they did not do all they could with BBOS.

BB7 was basically whipped up in a few months, it was a panicked last minute upgrade from the intended OS6.1 and it showed.

#believeinfilm
    04-08-14 02:20 AM
    Point is they intended to start a new OS long ago, which means they did not do all they could with BBOS.

BB7 was basically whipped up in a few months, it was a panicked last minute upgrade from the intended OS6.1 and it showed.

#believeinfilm
    Why would they make a decision to go away from BBOS if it was so great? You don't think they know what it is and isn't capable of?
    04-08-14 05:20 AM
    Why would they make a decision to go away from BBOS if it was so great? You don't think they know what it is and isn't capable of?
    Because they decided to chase after iPhones and androids instead of keeping the same direction with BBOS. Ironically they still exist only thanks to BBOS.

There is absolutely no doubt that the company would be in a better financial position right now if they never wasted a penny on QNX and bb10. They wouldn't be the success apple or samsung are but they would still be making profits.

#believeinfilm
    04-08-14 05:42 AM
    And unfortunately it really showed! :/

So much potential, such lousy software.

Even if they just hadn't used Adobe Air for the UI it would have felt better and snappier to use even today. But then that's probably how they managed to do it in a year.
    Yeah! :-S I loved the hardware, saw the potential in the OS, but thought it was totally half done. The AIR, the lack of a native SDK (NDK came later), no BBM, no BES connectivity, no email, no calendar, no contacts.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 05:51 AM
    Because they decided to chase after iPhones and androids instead of keeping the same direction with BBOS.
    You remind me of a kid putting his fingers in his ears, chanting "la la la la la la la" when it comes to the problems of BBOS.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 05:53 AM
    You remind me of a kid putting his fingers in his ears, chanting "la la la la la la la" when it comes to the problems of BBOS.
    The problem with BBOS BB7 is it's still the best selling platform BlackBerry has, even after 3 years.

If BB10 was the solution to BBOS problems how come nobody's buying it now?

#believeinfilm
    quest877 likes this.
    04-08-14 05:56 AM
    The problem with BBOS BB7 is it's still the best selling platform BlackBerry has, even after 3 years.

#believeinfilm
    the BBOS BB7 is the best selling platform. yes. I agree with you on that but that OS IS DEAD!

Enterprise are using it because they seldom like change when they've gotten comfortable within the security and offer they have but most of them don't like the phone. That is why (at least in companies in UK) when the higher ups decide to change work phones, blackberries are dropped for something everyone will like and prefer.

That is the truth. Bringing the OS back, after it has served it's time and given all that it could possibly give is a mad tactic! A stupid, mad gamble and somehow, it will keep the company afloat. And it won't.

That's the honest truth. BB7 will not save blackberry.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 06:02 AM
    Because they decided to chase after iPhones and androids instead of keeping the same direction with BBOS. Ironically they still exist only thanks to BBOS.

There is absolutely no doubt that the company would be in a better financial position right now if they never wasted a penny on QNX and bb10. They wouldn't be the success apple or samsung are but they would still be making profits.

#believeinfilm
    And no, they would have been dead and sold by now.... Because if they had remained on BBOS (and completely scrapped BB10), WE! yes, WE would have dissed the company till death, sold their phones and all the loyalists who stuck by the company in hopes for a better phone will have painfully moved on. BB10 is the reason why a lot of BlackBerry customers stayed. Because we saw it as a redeeming chance for BlackBerry to prove to the world that they actually know what they are doing in the smartphone business.

Regardless of whether or not it sold to expectations, if not for BB10 a lot of us would have moved on.

In other words, BB10 is the reason we are all still here, regardless of whether some miss some of the functions of BB7 or are fully pro BB10.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 06:06 AM
    the BBOS BB7 is the best selling platform. yes. I agree with you on that but that OS IS DEAD!

Enterprise are using it because they seldom like change when they've gotten comfortable within the security and offer they have but most of them don't like the phone. That is why (at least in companies in UK) when the higher ups decide to change work phones, blackberries are dropped for something everyone will like and prefer.

That is the truth. Bringing the OS back, after it has served it's time and given all that it could possibly give is a mad tactic! A stupid, mad gamble and somehow, it will keep the company afloat. And it won't.

That's the honest truth. BB7 will not save blackberry.
    It's not a mad tactic, it's a survival tactic. In an ideal world all BB customers should upgrade to BB10, the reality proved different, they choose BBOS experience over BB10 experience.

#believeinfilm
    daveycrocket likes this.
    04-08-14 06:09 AM
    And no, they would have been dead and sold by now.... Because if they had remained on BBOS (and completely scrapped BB10), WE! yes, WE would have dissed the company till death, sold their phones and all the loyalists who stuck by the company in hopes for a better phone will have painfully moved on. BB10 is the reason why a lot of BlackBerry customers stayed. Because we saw it as a redeeming chance for BlackBerry to prove to the world that they actually know what they are doing in the smartphone business.

Regardless of whether or not it sold to expectations, if not for BB10 a lot of us would have moved on.

In other words, BB10 is the reason we are all still here, regardless of whether some miss some of the functions of BB7 or are fully pro BB10.
    The world doesn't revolve around CrackBerry, most BlackBerry users never heard of it. If you read CB now there's hardly any mention of BBOS, yet they add up to 55+ millions vs barely 5 million BB10 subscribers (I'm being generous)

#believeinfilm
    daveycrocket likes this.
    04-08-14 06:12 AM

As I've said MULTIPLE TIMES there are two problems ... how BlackBerry 10 is doing now; AND BlackBerry OS's decline that led them here.

The problem is not just that people are choosing BlackBerry OS still. it's that they aren't choosing BlackBerrys of any flavor in numbers that are increasing.

Not sure why you gloss over the latter and try to keep saying "Yeah well BlackBerry 10 isn't doing well". So what? Whether they went Android, or Windows Phone or BlackBerry 10 is not the point ... they are potential paths to a problem of a rapidly declining BBOS ... which has been declining quarter over quarter for years, BlackBerry 10 or no BlackBerry 10 because of issues.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 06:13 AM
917 ... 3031323334 ...