Actually your fail, I might've ended up on the wrong website but it's still another carrier that only sells BBOS and no BB10.

Fail.

#believeinfilm
    Of the three largest carriers in Canada , only one offered a BBOS phone for sale - the Curve 9320. I expect here that the new 9900 would go directly from BB to enterprise customers. It could be that BBOS may just die on the vine due to a lack of product to sell.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    04-04-14 12:48 AM
    Calm down dear, you'll pop a vein. Malaysia is the exemption that confirms the rule.

#believeinfilm

Oh please, you know that BBOS is dying. I appreciate some things in BBOS, but its clear as the zenith of the mid day sun, that I have disproved of your argument, and you're only resorting "oh its an exception of a confirmed norm".

Dream on in your deluded fantasies please.
    04-04-14 01:02 AM
    Oh please, you know that BBOS is dying. I appreciate some things in BBOS, but its clear as the zenith of the mid day sun, that I have disproved of your argument, and you're only resorting "oh its an exception of a confirmed norm".

The UK accent means he's automatically right.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 01:04 AM
    Alright guys, lets take it down a notch or two. Let's keep the discussion to the topic at hand and discuss the post, not the poster.
    kbz1960 and belfastdispatcher like this.
    04-04-14 01:05 AM
    The UK accent means he's automatically right.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Lol, I'm not English, or Irish.

#believeinfilm
    04-04-14 01:09 AM

What argument exactly have you disproved?

This whole thing started from a claim that it was the carriers that forced BB to drop BIS, yet some carriers clearly only sell BIS devices after dropping BB10 which disproves that theory.

I think you're so eager to argue that you forgot what the argument was about.

#believeinfilm
    04-04-14 01:12 AM
    What argument exactly have you disproved?

This whole thing started from a claim that it was the carriers that forced BB to drop BIS, yet some carriers clearly only sell BIS devices after dropping BB10 which disproves that theory.

I think you're so eager to argue that you forgot what the argument was about.

#believeinfilm
    Do you know what a negative slope is? That's BB7. BB10 is growing although... slow... Z3 and lower prices across the board will accelerate it. and BBM resurgence will revive some interest back to BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 01:15 AM
    Alright. If we can't play nice, we don't play at all.
    Superfly_FR, web99 and cjcampbell like this.
    04-04-14 01:53 AM
    *Bickerfest ends*

Cool down time. We'll talk it over and render a verdict later.
    Superfly_FR and cjcampbell like this.
    04-04-14 01:53 AM
    Like it or not, it would appear that BBOS 7 is going to be us for a while longer. We're going to re-open this thread to allow other members the chance to express their thoughts and opinions on this bit of news that's part of BlackBerry's plans for the immediate future.

As a reminder, please keep things on topic. Any further personal attacks on this thread will result in instant multi day bans being handed out.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    04-04-14 08:09 PM
    Was just having look around UK carrier and phone supplier websites to see what BBOS models were still being sold and came across these scathing customer reviews of the Bold 9900:

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=gL74A2DB

Comments like "it has put me off BlackBerrys for life" certainly reinforce my view that the overstretched BBOS 7 line of phones have left too many customers with no intention of choosing another BlackBerry phone again regardless of how "all new" and improved they are.

I have a suspicion that this factor is a bigger reason for the lack of upgraders from BBOS to BB10 than the UI learning curve, lack of BIS or the "tool belt".

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    amjass12 and kbz1960 like this.
    04-04-14 08:32 PM
    you're forgetting over half of BB's revenue comes from BBOS+NOCs, sure BBOS is more intensive on the NOC but it actually produces revenue, LOTS of it.
    You're forgetting that BBOS is declining rapidly quarter over quarter. I predict it's completely dried up by the end of This fiscal year in terms of shipments, BlackBerry 10 or not.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 08:38 PM
    You're forgetting that BBOS is declining rapidly quarter over quarter. I predict it's completely dried up by the end of This fiscal year in terms of shipments, BlackBerry 10 or not.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm there will be straggler Enterprises still struggling on with BBOS this time next year, the ones that buy up these "new" Bold 99xx's for example!

Just depends how long BlackBerry's CEO is willing to pander to them and keep re-manufacturing old phones. If it's profitable it may happen. Getting BB10 more profitable is better for BlackBerry as a technology company in the long term but hey, by then they may have pulled the plug on the hardware business and gone Software and Services only or been bought out by someone.

sleepngbear and jakie55 like this.
    04-04-14 08:56 PM
    Was just having look around UK carrier and phone supplier websites to see what BBOS models were still being sold and came across these scathing customer reviews of the Bold 9900:

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=bSCzWbsz

Comments like "it has put me off BlackBerrys for life" certainly reinforce my view that the overstretched BBOS 7 line of phones have left too many customers with no intention of choosing another BlackBerry phone again regardless of how "all new" and improved they are.

I have a suspicion that this factor is a bigger reason for the lack of upgraders from BBOS to BB10 than the UI learning curve, lack of BIS or the "tool belt".

BB7 launch and BB10 launch were actually very similar: both delayed, both launched with unfinished software, both had hardware that for almost a year the OS didn't use only to be activated later.

9900 was not perfect, far from it. The 9700/9780 was a much more solid product.

#believeinfilm
    04-05-14 03:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    Have you wondered why? Most carriers only sell the 9720 and 9320 and the ones that still sell the 9900 have it seriously overpriced.

However, BB7 is not the problem, if BB10 was good enough everybody would've forgotten about BB7.

Let's concentrate on what the real problem is, for the time being BBOS is really the backbone of the company with over 55 million subscribers that bring in revenue monthly.

The 30 million lost did not make the change to BB10, that's the real problem.

(I'm assuming BB10 has 5 million subscribers)

#believeinfilm
    04-05-14 03:20 AM
    Of the three largest carriers in Canada , only one offered a BBOS phone for sale - the Curve 9320. I expect here that the new 9900 would go directly from BB to enterprise customers. It could be that BBOS may just die on the vine due to a lack of product to sell.
    I think carriers will sell it, they are in a catch 22 situation with BIS, they can't turn it off if they have many subscribers, they have installed hardware on their network to enable BIS long paid for probably, regardless if they pay BIS fees to BB, they still make money off BIS customers, let's not kid ourselves about that. Best example would be roaming, BIS users are less likely to put a local sim in their phone when abroad, in those situations the carrier is completely cut out and get no roaming fees.

So the worst thing would be to keep BiS up and sell no more new devices to anybody.

On the other hand they can drop BB10 devices at any time with no real consequences. And some already did.

#believeinfilm
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 04-05-14 at 04:11 AM.
    04-05-14 03:36 AM
    Hmm there will be straggler Enterprises still struggling on with BBOS this time next year, the ones that buy up these "new" Bold 99xx's for example!

Just depends how long BlackBerry's CEO is willing to pander to them and keep re-manufacturing old phones. If it's profitable it may happen. Getting BB10 more profitable is better for BlackBerry as a technology company in the long term but hey, by then they may have pulled the plug on the hardware business and gone Software and Services only or been bought out by someone.

And these I believe are precisely the reason why BBRY resurrected production of legacy BBOS models. If not the only reason.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    04-05-14 03:39 AM
    And these I believe are precisely the reason why BBRY resurrected production of legacy BBOS models. If not the only reason.
    Sorry but you got it wrong, they resurrected the Bold line(which is already 3 years old), production of the BBOS Curve line never stopped.

So it's wrong to say they resurrected legacy models when in reality never stopped.

#believeinfilm
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-05-14 03:45 AM
    Do you know what a negative slope is? That's BB7. BB10 is growing although... slow... Z3 and lower prices across the board will accelerate it. and BBM resurgence will revive some interest back to BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141

Debatable - sales have been largely static (and low very low) and we are now seeing carrier support collapse - I would expect to see BB10 decrease in the next quarter as they finish burning off stock of sales duds like the Z30, Q5, Q10. Yes there will be be new phones but they will not be sold in enough places to make a difference - plus we are now in a timeframe where we will see some original z10 users churn away to other platforms.
    04-05-14 03:46 AM
    Sorry but you got it wrong, they resurrected the Bold line(which is already 3 years old), production of the BBOS Curve line never stopped.

So it's wrong to say they resurrected legacy models when in reality never stopped.

#believeinfilm
    Sorry but you're nitpicking and avoiding the actual point (besides the fact that I did not say 'all' legacy devices were being resurrected, so sorry again, but even by your own admission I'm not wrong). What is being resurrected vs what is being continued is immaterial. The reason why is the point, and the point is to keep the stragglers from abandoning ship by continuing to offer legacy devices for a while longer than had previously been planned.

OS 7 will continue!-popcorn.gif
    04-05-14 04:40 AM
    Sorry but you're nitpicking and avoiding the actual point (besides the fact that I did not say 'all' legacy devices were being resurrected, so sorry again, but even by your own admission I'm not wrong). What is being resurrected vs what is being continued is immaterial. The reason why is the point, and the point is to keep the stragglers from abandoning ship by continuing to offer legacy devices for a while longer than had previously been planned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popcorn.gif 
Views:	404 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	260843
    That's ok, and that's what I've been advocating they should do for the past year. If they could improve them a bit would be even better. Now there's gonna a be a long gap of no decent BBOS devices for sale until the new ones come out.

I always said that what they should do and that's what they will do, but I was also aware of their potential to screw it all up after my experience with the 9720.

The Curve models are dirt cheap but they're also crap (even when compared to the 9900)

#believeinfilm
    04-05-14 04:50 AM
    I'm just going to say if all that was available was bbos my upgrade would not have been another BlackBerry. I'm sure there are as many or more like me than not in the consumer world.

Now if companies are wanting to stay on it awhile yet then they need to give them devices they want. I just can't go back to spinning clocks and lag etc. I don't think better hardware will fix any of that. It's the OS that causes it. And if it could be fixed it would have been long ago.
    04-05-14 07:09 AM
    That's ok, and that's what I've been advocating they should do for the past year. If they could improve them a bit would be even better. Now there's gonna a be a long gap of no decent BBOS devices for sale until the new ones come out.

I always said that what they should do and that's what they will do, but I was also aware of their potential to screw it all up after my experience with the 9720.

The Curve models are dirt cheap but they're also crap (even when compared to the 9900)

#believeinfilm
    What do you think is the long term plan with BBOS? Will it be around 5 years from now or will Blackberry add the features to BB10?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    04-05-14 07:24 AM
    There has to be something more underlying here than meets the eye though yeah? Given BBOS's dependence on the NOC and all as they could've just as well re-skinned BB10 on something like the Q20 which is supposed to be the legacy approach. Must be the per device cost if nothing else is really going on.
    04-05-14 07:29 AM
    There has to be something more underlying here than meets the eye though yeah? Given BBOS's dependence on the NOC and all as they could've just as well re-skinned BB10 on something like the Q20 which is supposed to be the legacy approach. Must be the per device cost if nothing else is really going on.
    I certainly think the Bold 9900 production run is a stop-gap measure.

I hope they don't just throw a classic BBOS UI on top of QNX for the Q20. Throwing out the good features of BB10 seems as bad as throwing out the good features in BBOS.

I hope they make the buttons and trackpad work in intuitive and consistent ways with BB10. That might include long pressing the BlackBerry button to go to the active frames screen as one example, and being able to scroll through/highlight/select active frames with the trackpad as another. If they make changes like that, let users have old-school menus on a short-press of the BB button, and add in options to switch to a legacy email, messaging, and texting experience, I think most who miss BBOS would be satisfied. Those changes could (and should) be limited to the "classic" models, and BB10 users on other models should never have to encounter them. My $0.02.
    04-05-14 08:40 AM
917 ... 2627282930 ...