So it's a work around for Jolla Sailfish phones too? Oh and Microsoft Windows Phone?

Yes, they Microsoft are implementing the Android virtual machine too.

Android apps are becoming a commodity due to the fact that the Android virtual machine they run in can run on any Operating System.

BlackBerry is right there at the cutting edge of this new era in cross-platform mobile software applications.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    Absolutely! Who's winning? I'm not saying its totally bad but its a workaround for those who can't produce their own apps.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 02:40 PM
    Absolutely! Who's winning? I'm not saying its totally bad but its a workaround for those who can't produce their own apps.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    It's a solution not a workaround. Workarounds are temporary fixes.

03-30-14 02:42 PM
    I say you make a couple of cheaper OS10 devices that will entice folks to come over to OS10 from OS7?

The z3 at 200 dollars is a smart move, once more folks come on over from BlackBerry OS7, the app ecosystem will increased because you will have a user base to support it.

I know allot of OS7 users may not like my next comment, but then you can phase OS7 out slowly and be down to one OS, OS10. This should also improve the software update process also.

Send from my z30 on T Mobile USA (10.2.1.2160)
    03-30-14 02:45 PM
    Then you go out of business.

That is all.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I have no problem with them restarting production on the Bold, and continuing to sell BBOS to those who won't buy anything else from BlackBerry, BUT... BBOS is a stop-gap to help alleviate the immediate bleeding. BBOS cannot be the "future" of BlackBerry. It's a dead OS. It's a bandaid for an emergency.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:47 PM
    How many people do you see drinking "new" Coke? I'm pretty sure they did better by going back to classic Coke.

I'm pretty sure people still by paper for their printers even though we have ways to electronically communicate.

I'm pretty sure people still drive gas sucking cars even though you can buy one that is a plug-in.

"Backwards" and "forwards" are completely relative terms. If you go "forwards" and make a product that people don't buy and/or is incomplete....did you really go "forwards"?
    Yes but going back to bbos really is goi.g backwards.

Remember, bbos not competing with ios and android and staying the outdated os that it is, is what got blackberry into the mess that it's in.

So just because bb7 is outselling bb10 does not mean blackberry need to.make more bbos devices. If bbos is outselling. Let people buy the bbos phones that exist and let blackberry spend their money on new ventures. Bbos is a waste of time, and going back to bbos really is going backwards. There is nothing for the people to see. Certainly not on competition with apple or Android, and it's just a way of clinging onto the very very very few people that still use bb7.

Bb10 which is physically capable of.competing with android and ios is the way forward. Will devs and software technology beat the comp, not so far. Bu t maybe in the future. I don't see how creating bbos phones is helping this cause.

hashtag waste.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:48 PM
    I say you make a couple of cheaper OS10 devices that will entice folks to come over to OS10 from OS7?

The z3 at 200 dollars is a smart move, once more folks come on over from BlackBerry OS7, the app ecosystem will increased because you will have a user base to support it.

I know allot of OS7 users may not like my next comment, but then you can phase OS7 out slowly and be down to one OS, OS10. This should also improve the software update process also.

The Z10 is that cheap now, what will the Z3 being to convince people to buy it when the Z10 can't at the same price point?

#believeinfilm
    03-30-14 02:50 PM
    The Z10 is that cheap now, what will the Z3 being to convince people to buy it when the Z10 can't at the same price point?

#believeinfilm
    The z10 is at 299, not 200 like the z3 is going to be according to Mr Chen.

03-30-14 03:07 PM

The price keeps dropping, by the time the Z3 will be out they'll be the same price, they already are in some markets.

The Z10 and the Curve 9720 are the same price in UK, in fact some UK carriers have stopped selling the Z10 but still sell the 9720.

#believeinfilm
    03-30-14 03:10 PM

#believeinfilm
    Common, the Z3 is bigger screen real estate and much more bigger battery. Don't even start to compare them.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 03:12 PM
    More people think that this os7 is a dumb move. Especially when there are bringing q20 and q30 out. Just more phones no one will buy.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 03:20 PM
    This post and arguments are really dumb. The BBOS and BB10 can co exist it is a choice for consumers. BlackBerry 10 for me is the more advanced OS even with it short coming. The BBOS still has a large following why is the argument continuing? Bottom line whether BBOS or BB10, the idea is to return the company to profitability, BlackBerry 10 is getting more refined over the last year. Sales will improve PROVIDED BlackBerry does some real Marketing. BBOS will still have its user base for the reasons I pointed out earlier. Bottom line whatever makes the company stable and return to profitability is best.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 03:38 PM
    It's a solution not a workaround. Workarounds are temporary fixes.

Did it produce results though? I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but don't you think if Blackberry could have gotten developers to make more native apps they would have?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 04:13 PM
    I have no problem with them restarting production on the Bold, and continuing to sell BBOS to those who won't buy anything else from BlackBerry, BUT... BBOS is a stop-gap to help alleviate the immediate bleeding. BBOS cannot be the "future" of BlackBerry. It's a dead OS. It's a bandaid for an emergency.

Posted via CB10
    That depends on where you think they are heading. If they go back to enterprise they need something to make those people happy. They are not buying BB10.

I don't know the answer.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 04:15 PM
    On this I disagree with you.

It was clear that there would be no compression. As far as push email...my email arrives instantly. As far as I'm concerned the whole "push" terminology is semantics.

This I still disagree with you completely.

Sent from my AWESOME gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    I have to agree with qbnkelt on this one and I'm a fan of BIS. Back when it was invented is a different story, but what is lacking about Activesync and the like now? I get my emails on my Q10 pretty much as instantly as I used to with my previous Berries, I played with that several times when I first switched to BB10 just for the fun of it.

BIS was awesome when it was invented and served our needs well. I still appreciate the way it formatted Web pages for viewing on the device and word-wrapped pages when need be. Most of all though, in my totally unfounded and goofy little logic, I like that feeling of having an extra little layer of security going on. I'll never know if that was the case, but what of it? At the time, it mattered a little. As for the data compression, meh. I've had unlimited data for a long time so I never had to fret.
    03-30-14 04:32 PM
    Did it produce results though?
    The result it produced is you now have thousands more apps available to run on the phone, including some very main stream consumer apps that the developers of were never going to bring to BB10 (they had stated as much). What more of a result do you want?

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but don't you think if Blackberry could have gotten developers to make more native apps they would have?
    I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make with your question. If BlackBerry could have got more developers on board to make apps then yes I'm sure they would have, they wouldn't be "on board" otherwise would they?!

Right from BB10's inception as BBX back in 2011 BlackBerry pushed really hard to get developers on board, both independent and "big name" companies with "big name" apps. They really pushed the fact that they recognised developing for BBOS what a hellish experience, and that BB10 was new, standards driven and easier to develop for, you could even port your Android apps with a little effort. And yet the overwhelming response was "We don't care. We are not developing for BlackBerry." Once again BBOS had already done the damage and put too many developers off for life.

Some developers wanted money from BlackBerry to even consider developing their apps for BB10. Some got their money. Some wanted too much money, BlackBerry couldn't afford them. Some said "No amount of money will make us interested."

When you're faced with that kind of apathy towards BlackBerry as a software platform, created by the legacy of BBOS and it's hopeless performance as a 3rd party software platform, you can see why BlackBerry World is as sparsely populated with "big name" apps as it is.

03-30-14 04:34 PM
    The result it produced is you now have thousands more apps available to run on the phone, including some very main stream consumer apps that the developers of were never going to bring to BB10 (they had stated as much). What more of a result do you want?

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make with your question. If BlackBerry could have got more developers on board to make apps then yes I'm sure they would have, they wouldn't be "on board" otherwise would they?!

Right from BB10's inception as BBX back in 2011 BlackBerry pushed really hard to get developers on board, both independent and "big name" companies with "big name" apps. They really pushed the fact that they recognised developing for BBOS what a hellish experience, and that BB10 was new, standards driven and easier to develop for, you could even port your Android apps with a little effort. And yet the overwhelming response was "We don't care. We are not developing for BlackBerry." Once again BBOS had already done the damage and put too many developers off for life.

Some developers wanted money from BlackBerry to even consider developing their apps for BB10. Some got their money. Some wanted too much money, BlackBerry couldn't afford them. Some said "No amount of money will make us interested."

When you're faced with that kind of apathy towards BlackBerry, he created by the legacy of BBOS and it's hopeless performance as a 3rd party software platform, you can see why BlackBerry World is as sparsely populated with "big name" apps as it is.

For the record even Microsoft's Windows Phone is facing similar problems, such is the app developer duopoly that Apple and Google have.

And I totally agree. So what did they do in response to that? Come up with an alternate plan, or what I called a workaround. That was my point though I may not have worded it well.

Not all Android apps, from what I understand, run as well on BB10 as they do on Android. Its better than the alternative though I guess. I have not used any myself. I am trying do do without.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 04:41 PM
    I have to agree with qbnkelt on this one and I'm a fan of BIS. Back when it was invented is a different story, but what is lacking about Activesync and the like now? I get my emails on my Q10 pretty much as instantly as I used to with my previous Berries, I played with that several times when I first switched to BB10 just for the fun of it.

BIS was awesome when it was invented and served our needs well. I still appreciate the way it formatted Web pages for viewing on the device and word-wrapped pages when need be. Most of all though, in my totally unfounded and goofy little logic, I like that feeling of having an extra little layer of security going on. I'll never know if that was the case, but what of it? At the time, it mattered a little. As for the data compression, meh. I've had unlimited data for a long time so I never had to fret.
    Who gives you activesync though? Gmail? No. Yahoo? No. Hosted email? At a cost. Pretty much only Outlook gives you activesync.

That's why BIS is still relevant.

#believeinfilm
    acovey likes this.
    03-30-14 04:54 PM
    Who gives you activesync though? Gmail? No. Yahoo? No. Hosted email? At a cost. Pretty much only Outlook gives you activesync.

That's why BIS is still relevant.

#believeinfilm
    Have to admit though, both outlook and gmail shows up instantly on both my Nexus 5 and Q10.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    johnnyuk and extisis like this.
    03-30-14 05:01 PM
    And I totally agree. So what did they do in response to that? Come up with an alternate plan, or what I called a workaround. That was my point though I may not have worded it well.

Not all Android apps, from what I understand, run as well on BB10 as they do on Android. Its better than the alternative though I guess. I have not used any myself. I am trying do do without.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    The alternative is not having them at all. I don't see it being temporary as a workaround would imply, particular as it is already a fundamental design choice on other mobile OS platforms (Jolla Sailfish). I see Android app compatibility becoming essential as non-main stream mobile OS's become marginalised and some die out.

The mobile platform market today is very reminiscent of the computer platform market of the 80's and early 90's, lots of incompatible and niche platforms all vying for their place in the sun. Eventually market forces (and down right dirty tactics and cheating) whittled that down to 2 main stream platforms in the 90's, Windows and Mac, which was whittled down further to arguably one mainstream platform in the 2000's, just Windows.

Apple had to reinvent the tablet for the 2010's to break it's way back in to the consumer computing space and eat in to Microsoft's, Intel's and PC manufacturer's strangle hold on computing.

I can see market forces doing the same to today's mobile platforms and Android is the Windows of today. iOS marketshare as a percentage is decreasing even though their user base is growing such is the pace of the spread of Android. It's a bit obvious which one is going to win out isn't it? So the best thing the minority mobile OS vendors can do right now is offer up some sort of Android app compatibility or they will simply become the Linux of the mobile world (oh wait, Ubuntu already wants that parking space!)

If in 12 months BlackBerry hasn't returned to profit then that decision not to base the next generation BlackBerry phones on a secure Android fork will look like the wrong one.

03-30-14 05:01 PM

Is that confirmed? The Z3 will really be $200?

Wow, another dead on arrival device. We live in a world where you can buy the Motorola Moto G for $79.99 off contract. Who in their right mind would pay over twice that amount for a Z3 with worst hardware and less apps?

I hope you're mistaken. If not, the Z3 will be about as effective as the Q5 was.
    03-30-14 06:37 PM
    Is that confirmed? The Z3 will really be $200?

Wow, another dead on arrival device. We live in a world where you can buy the Motorola Moto G for $79.99 off contract. Who in their right mind would pay over twice that amount for a Z3 with worst hardware?

I hope you're mistaken. If not, the Z3 will be about as effective as the Q5 was.
    Huh... no it isn't confirmed. and they said below 200.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Raddin and johnnyuk like this.
    03-30-14 06:39 PM
    OS 7 will continue! ?

I said that prior to Chen joining, go back my posts... simply BIS is too much a revenue spinner for consumers and small to medium business who don't have a few thousand �/$ etc to spare on their margins to BES it up OS7 or 10. Thorny knew this... him and his mates brought in just had good contract terms should BB be bought out...
    03-30-14 06:43 PM
    Huh... no it isn't confirmed. and they said below 200.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Thank god.

I'm hoping they get the Z3 in at the $100 ish range. $150 max. $200 is just too much these days.
    03-30-14 06:44 PM
    Thank god.

I'm hoping they get the Z3 in at the $100 ish range. $150 max. $200 is just too much these days.
    I've heard at least 150 but that could change.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-30-14 06:45 PM
    several weeks ago i help my friend buy a Blackberry device, but instead choosing BB10 phone, he prefer BB legacy 9810 torch...money is not a problem for him..he bought legacy because he already have iPhone.

many people including me prefer BB legacy just because it is cheaper, and we already have another phone (android, ios)....BB legacy is a good enough secondary phone, main purpose only for comunication (phone call & texting) + email
    acovey likes this.
    03-30-14 06:49 PM
917 ... 1314151617 ...