The question is does BB10 have those capabilities?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    No, which is what makes any BB10 device half a BlackBerry.

#believeinfilm
    03-30-14 11:09 AM

#believeinfilm
    Or a different Blackberry. Still, they need both to keep afloat.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 11:13 AM
    Do you happen to have a link to that?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...n-chen-919048/
    03-30-14 11:18 AM
    Or a different Blackberry. Still, they need both to keep afloat.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Do they? Seems to me that only one, BB7, keeps them afloat, the other, BB10, is just a huge money pit.

#believeinfilm
    03-30-14 11:25 AM
    I was amazed at the lack of BB10 phones in shops in the UK. 3 network had a curve OS7 but no BB10. O2 had the curve & the Q5. No Z10 or Q10. EE & Vodaphone the same. Have they had a lot of returns? It's like going into a Ford Car dealer & finding Zepher & model T cars.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has been dropped like a stone by the UK carriers in their consumer line up since the autumn of last year. They don't stock what isn't selling, especially when there is no marketing money from BlackBerry pushing it along any more.

I was in an EE shop in the centre of Newcastle's shopping area a month ago for half an hour while a friend waited to sort out a new contract and saw only a lonely Q10 on an unloved display of unpopular phones on a floor stand in a corner that nobody that came in to the busy shop paid any attention to. No BBOS 7 phones at all, although that's no loss.

Business line ups at UK carriers are a more positive story, as you'd expect with BlackBerry's Enterprise focus under Chen. No Z30 yet though at EE Business and that annoys me, it's a fantastic phone for the modern Enterprise.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    03-30-14 11:26 AM
    BlackBerry has been dropped like a stone by the UK carriers in their consumer line up since the autumn of last year. They don't stock what isn't selling, especially when there is no marketing money from BlackBerry pushing it along any more.

I was in an EE shop in the centre of Newcastle's shopping area a month ago for half an hour while a friend waited to sort out a new contract and saw only a lonely Q10 on an unloved display of unpopular phones on a floor stand in a corner that nobody that came in to the busy shop paid any attention to. No BBOS 7 phones at all, although that's no loss.

Business line ups at UK carriers are a more positive story, as you'd expect with BlackBerry's Enterprise focus under Chen. No Z30 yet though at EE Business and that annoys me, it's a fantastic phone for the modern Enterprise.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    3 Mobile only sells the 9720 and 9320, what does that tell you about BB10?

Going back to BB7 is not ideal but clearly BB10, the way it is now, is not the future at all

They need to go back to the drawing board and rethink the whole thing.

#believeinfilm
    BitPusher2600 likes this.
    03-30-14 11:32 AM
    Do they? Seems to me that only one, BB7, keeps them afloat, the other, BB10, is just a huge money pit.

#believeinfilm
    I doubt BB7 will keep them afloat forever.

Posted with my Q
    03-30-14 11:37 AM

Posted with my Q
    They also can't keep throwing money down the BB10 pit forever.

#believeinfilm
    03-30-14 11:42 AM
    They also can't keep throwing money down the BB10 pit forever.

#believeinfilm
    Exactly. Point being they need both. Do you really think BB7 is the future? While I agree it currently makes money for them they still need to advance. BBOS can remain a nitch for a while yet.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 11:56 AM
    Exactly. Point being they need both. Do you really think BB7 is the future? While I agree it currently makes money for them they still need to advance. BBOS can remain a nitch for a while yet.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I think rebuilding BBOS on QNX might be the future. BB10 only has a future on enterprise.

#believeinfilm
    03-30-14 12:05 PM
    I think rebuilding BBOS on QNX might be the future. BB10 only has a future on enterprise.

#believeinfilm
    That's an interesting concept. One, I hope, they are exploring.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 12:10 PM
    THIS. This right here is why BB10 users, and everyone else for that matter, needs to stop pushing for the complete retirement and abolishment of OS7. You want BB10 ? okay, great, go get it then. but there is no need to do away w/ legacy devices b/c of it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    Those people who militantly call for the end of BBOS have been doing so because they are just so smart that they know what BlackBerry must do to "survive." They go on and on about stock price and "market share," and they incessantly repeat meaningless expressions like "way of the future" when calling for BBOS' demise. There are insightful people here who for years have been saying that BlackBerry will and can continue to have both operating systems to serve its users.
    BitPusher2600 and acovey like this.
    03-30-14 12:56 PM

Posted with my Q
    That's the point of it all. It won't. No matter how pretty Belfast paints it, it won't.

Posted via CB10
    coldRooster likes this.
    03-30-14 01:12 PM
    That's the point of it all. It won't. No matter how pretty Belfast paints it, it won't.

Posted via CB10
    I never said it will, unless they rebuild it on QNX etc

But for the past year BBOS has kept Blackberry afloat while BB10 has put a huge hole in their pockets and continue to loose money.

#believeinfilm
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-30-14 01:14 PM
    New customers who value apps will not choose BB10 either, those who don't value apps will not pay over the odds for a Z30 just for calls, texting and email. That's the problem with BB10, it doesn't satisfy any particular type of customer, except maybe the tinkerer that loves messing with the device and side load apps.

At least BBOS has a clear and defined market segment, albeit a bit small but sustainable.

#believeinfilm
    BB10 has android runtime. That is all. Side load snap once and you're done. It's much better than OS7.

Posted via 10.3 on Verizon
    03-30-14 01:15 PM
    So in a sense you are saying that if the Q20 is released, demand for legacy devices would drop to zero or near zero, and therefore they would get rid of OS7. Because why on Earth would they want to stop if the demand is still more than double that of BB10?

Posted via CB10
    I did not say that. I'm saying the SOLE PURPOSE of the Q20 is to move those customers over THAT REFUSE to have a phone without a belt and ball on it. If they are going to continue catering to that crowd and that crowd is perfectly happy with another line of bolds than WHY on God's green earth would they even think about moving to BB10? Hence spending money on an item that won't be bought.

03-30-14 01:17 PM
    BB10 has android runtime. That is all. Side load snap once and you're done. It's much better than OS7.

Exactly my point, you're the tinkerer. The regular consumer doesn't want to side load apps.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything android with a barge pole, simply because of Google.

#believeinfilm
    acovey likes this.
    03-30-14 01:19 PM

#believeinfilm
    I think the increased amount of apps make it a better berry than the OS7. The sole purpose of a phone is for communication. BB10 phones do amazing for that. On top of that you can land a ton more apps, and it's a better OS.

03-30-14 01:20 PM

That's a workaround at best, not an answer.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 01:20 PM
    Exactly my point, you're the tinkerer. The regular consumer doesn't want to side load apps.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything android with a barge pole, simply because of Google.

#believeinfilm
    Well unfortunately for you. As stated before, BlackBerry cannot stay afloat off of feeding certain group of people for an extended time. Bb10 is their best hope for bringing in new customers. And the regular consumer would, of it gave him a **** ton of apps.

03-30-14 01:22 PM
    That's a workaround at best, not an answer.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Yet, still better than OS7.

03-30-14 01:22 PM
    No trademark BB push email and compression. Many found out the hard way after they upgraded.

#believeinfilm
    On this I disagree with you.

It was clear that there would be no compression. As far as push email...my email arrives instantly. As far as I'm concerned the whole "push" terminology is semantics.

This I still disagree with you completely.

Sent from my AWESOME gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    03-30-14 01:24 PM
    Well unfortunately for you. As stated before, BlackBerry cannot stay afloat off of feeding certain group of people for an extended time. Bb10 is their best hope for bringing in new customers. And the regular consumer would, of it gave him a **** ton of apps.

What makes you think they can bring in new customers? That's a big if!

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 01:25 PM
    I think the increased amount of apps make it a better berry than the OS7. The sole purpose of a phone is for communication. BB10 phones do amazing for that. On top of that you can land a ton more apps, and it's a better OS.

BB10 might have more apps but it's still missing some high profile apps, like banking apps, that BB7 still has, and no, side loading doesn't count here at all.

BB10 is in no way better at communication compared to BBOS, far from it.

#believeinfilm
    acovey likes this.
    03-30-14 01:25 PM
    Yet, still better than OS7.

I'm not convinced of that. I have a Nexus 5 and 10 for Android apps.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 01:26 PM
917 ... 1112131415 ...