That's not what I'm getting from Chen. Is he improving BB7 and making a newly designed bold with better specs? No... clearly they are doing this until Q20 comes out to replace it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Why are you keep saying that? It's not for sure either way so let's just wait and see.

#believeinfilm
    03-30-14 02:56 AM
    Why are you keep saying that? It's not for sure either way so let's just wait and see.

#believeinfilm
    Why do people keep saying otherwise . For now it just seems like a new manufacturing deal to sell 9900/9930 bolds with better margins.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    extisis likes this.
    03-30-14 02:59 AM
    Why do people keep saying otherwise . For now it just seems like a new manufacturing deal to sell 9900/9930 bolds with better margins.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Can't we just wait and see? My guess is it won't be exactly the same Bolds. If even a few small changes are made for the better then it's new.

#believeinfilm
    03-30-14 03:03 AM
    I'm not so sure if the company would still improve on the bolds. It seems like they are just producing a new run of the 9900s through the manufacturing partner that they mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 03:12 AM
    I'm not so sure if the company would still improve on the bolds. It seems like they are just producing a new run of the 9900s through the manufacturing partner that they mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but considering it started life in 2011 and it was long delayed, do you even think the exact same parts are still available?

#believeinfilm
    03-30-14 03:22 AM
    As people sit here second guessing and making judgements....don't forget that everything he is doing so far is Enterprise based.....the professional and corporate. The keyboads are being brought back out for them.

Businesses clearly want keyboards and, according the interveiws he has given, still want the Bold9900.

As I said elsewhere.....the world don't just consist of how many apps, sitting playing games and watching You Tube.
    03-30-14 04:37 AM
    I'm saddened that there are so many here who supposedly love BlackBerry, hope for the best and etc etc, yet despise the classic OS, I'm totally lost on that, and the subject makes some of the posters get vicious. Oh well. I can only assume I'm in a tiny and hated niche because I think a new run of BBOS devices is actually pretty cool. I loved BBOS because it's what brought me to BlackBerry in the first place and has served me well for some years past.

I find little point one way in the other on questioning John Chen's decisions with all this "going backwards" bologna. They aren't making it their foremost product, and besides, that man has done more and is worth more than most of us here, I don't think his decisions are uncalculated.
    I think the reason why the debates are so heated is exactly because we want them to do well so badly. We all just want what's best for them. (Geez I sound like a parent...)

IMHO I'm confused at why anyone would want to cut Legacy devices off. I really don't like them, but the fact remains that they count for a massive chunk of their revenue. Releasing a new one seems to make sense to me. And you're right, it's not like the BB07 device will be the new flagship, it's just gonna be a side device to boost revenue a bit. It might be stepping backwards, but they're also still going forwards. Kind of like doing the splits.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 05:16 AM
    I wonder how many saw the CNN interveiw that John Chen gave, that was on Twitter a couple of days ago.

In it, he quite clearly said that this move is all about Enterprise. Untill BES12 is out at the end of the year, corporations etc need to replace phones and don't want to go to the expense of changing their systems to BES10, when they can wait and have BES12....which will incorporate android, iphone etc support. This is why many are not changing yet to BB10.

So he is bringing the Bold back to fill this gap.

This is what it is about.

It is not going backwards.....it is not giving up on BB10. He has obviously spent many hours in meetings with huge corporations etc....its even been stated that he has had USA gov input.

This isn't about us.....not about the public use, although we will probably be able to buy them.....this is his first well documented step, getting Enterprise sorted first.

The trouble is, everyone sees an announcement and assumes that its 'going backwards'
    XyeD_R, badiyee, web99 and 6 others like this.
    03-30-14 05:32 AM
    No.

That is all.

Posted via CB10
    Then you go out of business.

That is all.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 07:45 AM
    I wonder how many saw the CNN interveiw that John Chen gave, that was on Twitter a couple of days ago.

In it, he quite clearly said that this move is all about Enterprise. Untill BES12 is out at the end of the year, corporations etc need to replace phones and don't want to go to the expense of changing their systems to BES10, when they can wait and have BES12....which will incorporate android, iphone etc support. This is why many are not changing yet to BB10.

So he is bringing the Bold back to fill this gap.

This is what it is about.

It is not going backwards.....it is not giving up on BB10. He has obviously spent many hours in meetings with huge corporations etc....its even been stated that he has had USA gov input.

This isn't about us.....not about the public use, although we will probably be able to buy them.....this is his first well documented step, getting Enterprise sorted first.

The trouble is, everyone sees an announcement and assumes that its 'going backwards'
    The issue is you have some on here with reading and/or auditory comprehension issues that are stating that BlackBerry is building a completely new device to justify their predictions when that is not the case. They are ordering a new batch of old Bolds for the reasons you mention. It is a stop gap until BES12, and Q20 arrive which is what businesses want. I was wondering why the BB10 rollout at the agency I contract to was delayed, and now we know it is because BlackBerry announced the unified BES12 and they probably want to wait so they only have to support one solution and not two. Shocking that so many of us were saying that a two server solution would be a roadblock all the way back when the PlayBook was released!

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-30-14 09:13 AM
    Do you happen to have a link to that?
    03-30-14 09:29 AM
    Shocking that so many of us were saying that a two server solution would be a roadblock all the way back when the PlayBook was released!
    Posted via CB10
    From my own experience in Enterprise this isn't the hurdle that some people here make it out to be. BES10 since late in its Mobile Fusion days has been installable on an existing BES5 server.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    03-30-14 09:33 AM
    Well I will concede that Belfast was right by saying that BBRY would release a BBOS device. Even though it is a re-run of the Bold 9900, it is still a BBOS device.

As others have mentioned though, I believe that it is a stop-gap measure for enterprises until BES12 is ready.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    03-30-14 09:51 AM
    I'm not so sure if the company would still improve on the bolds.
    Posted via CB10
    They won't. That would cost more money than needed so, no. Still the same old Bold. Belfast won't be right on that one, sorry to burst your bubble.

Posted via CB10
    coldRooster likes this.
    03-30-14 09:51 AM
    That's not what I'm getting from Chen. Is he improving BB7 and making a newly designed bold with better specs? No... clearly they are doing this until Q20 comes out to replace it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Did he say they were doing it until the Q20 comes out? Did he specify a time when he would stop producing OS7 phones?

Posted via 10.3 on Verizon
    03-30-14 10:16 AM
    Sorry I don't feel CRIPPLED even if my hands shake and I can't type on glass. I still use a 9810 for several reasons
    1. I'm still on an old 3 year contract
    2. It does everything I need with very few apps (hoping for 7.2 update)
    3. Blackberry has not made a BB10 phone that interests me. I want a big screen slider c/w tool belt and physical keyboard
    The Z series are iBerry's and the Q is a 1/2 Blackberry, maybe the Q20 will be a REAL Blackberry until then my BEST option is my 9810
    1- You can buy off contract.
    2- That's you. Most people now need apps.
    3-So you're saying unless a berry resembles the one you have now it's not a berry?

03-30-14 10:18 AM
    You said one or the other has to go. Which is either OS7 or the Q20. So if they continue with the Q20 they need to get rid of OS7.

Posted via CB10
    Yes.

03-30-14 10:18 AM
    The problem with continuing OS7 IMHO is that it doesn't have apps, no app developer will write an app for it anymore, and that it doesn't bring new customers over which is what BlackBerry needs.

03-30-14 10:20 AM
    The problem with continuing OS7 IMHO is that it doesn't have apps, no app developer will write an app for it anymore, and that it doesn't bring new customers over which is what BlackBerry needs.

New customers who value apps will not choose BB10 either, those who don't value apps will not pay over the odds for a Z30 just for calls, texting and email. That's the problem with BB10, it doesn't satisfy any particular type of customer, except maybe the tinkerer that loves messing with the device and side load apps.

At least BBOS has a clear and defined market segment, albeit a bit small but sustainable.

#believeinfilm
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-30-14 10:28 AM
    Yes.

So in a sense you are saying that if the Q20 is released, demand for legacy devices would drop to zero or near zero, and therefore they would get rid of OS7. Because why on Earth would they want to stop if the demand is still more than double that of BB10?

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-30-14 10:34 AM
    I was amazed at the lack of BB10 phones in shops in the UK. 3 network had a curve OS7 but no BB10. O2 had the curve & the Q5. No Z10 or Q10. EE & Vodaphone the same. Have they had a lot of returns? It's like going into a Ford Car dealer & finding Zepher & model T cars.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 10:53 AM
    I was amazed at the lack of BB10 phones in shops in the UK. 3 network had a curve OS7 but no BB10. O2 had the curve & the Q5. No Z10 or Q10. EE & Vodaphone the same. Have they had a lot of returns? It's like going into a Ford Car dealer & finding Zepher & model T cars.

Posted via CB10
    They did use to sell them but no more, my guess is they did have a lot of returns, for example Vodafone sold returned Z10s for a while on their website. Must've been quite a few of them to try to re sell them.

#believeinfilm
    stevenjamesclark likes this.
    03-30-14 10:56 AM
    By the way I've had loads of OS7 phones but without a doubt my Q10 is the best. How anyone can say it's half a berry amazes me.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    03-30-14 10:57 AM
    By the way I've had loads of OS7 phones but without a doubt my Q10 is the best. How anyone can say it's half a berry amazes me.

Posted via CB10
    No trademark BB push email and compression. Many found out the hard way after they upgraded.

#believeinfilm
    acovey likes this.
    03-30-14 11:03 AM
    No trademark BB push email and compression. Many found out the hard way after they upgraded.

#believeinfilm
    The question is does BB10 have those capabilities?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 11:06 AM
917 ... 1011121314 ...