The bold 9900 is better than a Q10 in terms of communication, BIS helps a lot to accomplish that.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    03-29-14 03:22 PM
    Yea for me too bold 5 is far better than q10

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    03-29-14 03:36 PM
    Until they get people to switch over to bb10 they have to continue with bb07 Its still a large user base. At some point it will be a way to move people over to bb10 Saying that bb10 is a failure is just not true. Its more a matter of the old OS still being available and for many they dont need all the functions of a bb10 phone. If its just a business phone many businesses prefer people just use it for business. They dont wan the dual purpose phone. Thats where maybe the low end bb10 phone can come in. The bold continuing is just a step to keep people onboard blackberry. At this time they need to steady the user base. If they have to do it using bb07 then thats what they have to do. at some point they will have to switch people over but forcing people to bb10 right now might just kill the company all together. They dont have the luxury of just saying forget those people on the other OS right at the moment. Get things profitable and steady the cash flow anything that makes money currently needs to be kept anything that doesnt needs to be dumped. They still sold almost 1 million bb10 phones so sure its not as many as the old OS but its still alot of devices. Its like windows moving people off XP They will probably lose alot of current people along the way they fortunately have the resources to do this and still be okay. Blackberry doesnt have that option. So yes its not great but it could be worse maybe people arent buying either BB10 or Bb07 phones then you are really in trouble.
    03-29-14 05:33 PM
    Until they get people to switch over to bb10 they have to continue with bb07 Its still a large user base. At some point it will be a way to move people over to bb10 Saying that bb10 is a failure is just not true. Its more a matter of the old OS still being available and for many they dont need all the functions of a bb10 phone. If its just a business phone many businesses prefer people just use it for business. They dont wan the dual purpose phone. Thats where maybe the low end bb10 phone can come in. The bold continuing is just a step to keep people onboard blackberry. At this time they need to steady the user base. If they have to do it using bb07 then thats what they have to do. at some point they will have to switch people over but forcing people to bb10 right now might just kill the company all together. They dont have the luxury of just saying forget those people on the other OS right at the moment. Get things profitable and steady the cash flow anything that makes money currently needs to be kept anything that doesnt needs to be dumped. They still sold almost 1 million bb10 phones so sure its not as many as the old OS but its still alot of devices. Its like windows moving people off XP They will probably lose alot of current people along the way they fortunately have the resources to do this and still be okay. Blackberry doesnt have that option. So yes its not great but it could be worse maybe people arent buying either BB10 or Bb07 phones then you are really in trouble.
    BlackBerry spent billions creating the new platform, but hasn't made a single cent of profit off of BlackBerry 10.

So far, BlackBerry 10 has been a complete failure.
    boeingrules and Jamil Halil like this.
    03-29-14 07:57 PM
    BlackBerry spent billions creating the new platform, but hasn't made a single cent of profit off of BlackBerry 10.

So far, BlackBerry 10 has been a complete failure.
    If you only look at the first year of its life to judge whether it has been a success or not then fine, be like that. It's not how BlackBerry are looking at it, nor would any other tech company. BlackBerry are in it for the long term.

New technology platforms launched into fiercely competitive markets against already established and successful rivals rarely make money in their first year. Look at the games console market. When Microsoft launched the XBOX against the PlayStation 2 and GameCube they didn't give up after the first year when it hadn't made the money back it cost to R&D and launch. They were in it for the long term just as BlackBerry are with BB10.

BlackBerry can afford to roll the dice once more this year with new handsets (that don't lose money when unsold) aimed at markets it knows it can sell to and NOT aimed at markets it knows it can't sell to anymore (bye bye USA).

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    03-29-14 09:13 PM
    One question for everyone to think about.

When android released Kitkat, did users go onto the android forum to state that all devices below Kitkat should be binned?

Well?
    THIS. This right here is why BB10 users, and everyone else for that matter, needs to stop pushing for the complete retirement and abolishment of OS7. You want BB10 ? okay, great, go get it then. but there is no need to do away w/ legacy devices b/c of it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    acovey likes this.
    03-29-14 09:42 PM
    Because the whole purpose of the Q20 is to get the crippled over to BB10. One or the other has to go. It's a money waste.

Posted via 10.3 on Verizon
    Are you seriously expecting one device to reduce all demand for OS7 devices right down to zero? Of which, btw, the demand right now is double/triple the demand of BB10 devices.

Doesn't sound realistic to me.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 09:55 PM
    Have you ever wondered maybe that's what BlackBerry customers want from BlackBerry?

Nobody seems to want BB10 after all, ok not nobody but very very few.

#believeinfilm
    I want BB10. I switched to BB10 from iOS. I tried and I hate the PlayBook OS and wouldn't use a legacy BlackBerry. Luckily we've got choices and I'll continue to choose BB10 as long as it's still available.
    extisis likes this.
    03-29-14 10:01 PM
    Are you seriously expecting one device to reduce all demand for OS7 devices right down to zero? Of which, btw, the demand right now is double/triple the demand of BB10 devices.

Doesn't sound realistic to me.

Posted via CB10
    I don't recall staying that I did. I said the purpose of the Q20 was to bring over those people who needed a ball and belt to use, in order to operate a cell phone. If BlackBerry is going to continue or release new OS7 devices they need to get rid of the Q20.

03-29-14 10:02 PM
    I don't recall staying that I did. I said the purpose of the Q20 was to bring over those people who needed a ball and belt to use, in order to operate a cell phone. If BlackBerry is going to continue or release new OS7 devices they need to get rid of the Q20.

They are producing a new batch of the same old bold fresh off the factory... they aren't going to scrap the Q20 when they need to bolster BB10...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    extisis likes this.
    03-29-14 10:09 PM
    I wonder if Nokia's method of luring in with android that looks like windows would have worked for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 10:17 PM
    They are producing a new batch of the same old bold fresh off the factory... they aren't going to scrap the Q20 when they need to bolster BB10...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    They need to bolster BB10. But they aren't. Hence the whole OS7.

03-29-14 10:32 PM
    It is a wise choice indeed! Just come up with probably updated interface and fixes some bugs and rename it to BlackBerry OS 7.2 probably.. with Paratek Antenna.. battery standby time that last for days.. it was a new BlackBerry Bold line then! Wise choice with BIS...

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 10:42 PM
    They need to bolster BB10. But they aren't. Hence the whole OS7.

That's not what I'm getting from Chen. Is he improving BB7 and making a newly designed bold with better specs? No... clearly they are doing this until Q20 comes out to replace it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-29-14 11:06 PM
    I honestly don't give a damn anymore, as long as my BlackBerry 10 phone works.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    extisis likes this.
    03-29-14 11:12 PM
    What a waste of much needed developer resources, nevermind it makes the messaging from this company even more confusing than ever. It's like they don't even have a sense of direction anymore.

If OS7 was the end all be all, they wouldn't have had to pivot to OS10 to begin with. BB10's issues were all about execution. Blackberry should have taken the Nokia/Sony route and they missed the boat on the BB10 device launches (Way overpriced given their market position, and delayed to boot).

If I'm not buying a BB10 device, I know for sure I'm not about to downgrade to what almost feels like a feature phone in 2014...
    extisis and jakie55 like this.
    03-30-14 12:07 AM
    If you only look at the first year of its life to judge whether it has been a success or not then fine, be like that. It's not how BlackBerry are looking at it, nor would any other tech company. BlackBerry are in it for the long term.

New technology platforms launched into fiercely competitive markets against already established and successful rivals rarely make money in their first year. Look at the games console market. When Microsoft launched the XBOX against the PlayStation 2 and GameCube they didn't give up after the first year when it hadn't made the money back it cost to R&D and launch. They were in it for the long term just as BlackBerry are with BB10.

BlackBerry can afford to roll the dice once more this year with new handsets (that don't lose money when unsold) aimed at markets it knows it can sell to and NOT aimed at markets it knows it can't sell to anymore (bye bye USA).

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    Microsoft still doesn't make much money off of Xbox. The money they receive for licensing fees from Google is what is keeping Xbox afloat. Additionally, Microsoft has significantly more money to burn than blackberry. This is why they can afford to spend money and years developing and improving windows phone. Blackberry does not have that luxury...at all. For whatever reason, the majority of consumers are just not interested in BB10.

I know it will be hard for many blackberry diehard fans, but blackberry needs to exit the consumer market and focus on winning back enterprise. They can't afford to focus on both the consumer and enterprise market, or they will end up with no market. They spent billions acquiring QNX and have yet to see any real financial gains from this purchase (they were really banking on BB10 being a hit).

Have foxconn make the consumer devices. For their higher end devices, use them for enterprise, but sell some through shop blackberry so that consumer can purchase them if they desire. Blackberry no longer has the stronghold on the enterprise market. BES10 isn't being adopted like they hoped. They are going to need to really highlight their MDM solutions and how it can help companies, especially since many of them are moving to BYOD.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    phuoc likes this.
    03-30-14 12:26 AM
    Because the whole purpose of the Q20 is to get the crippled over to BB10. One or the other has to go. It's a money waste.

Sorry I don't feel CRIPPLED even if my hands shake and I can't type on glass. I still use a 9810 for several reasons
    1. I'm still on an old 3 year contract
    2. It does everything I need with very few apps (hoping for 7.2 update)
    3. Blackberry has not made a BB10 phone that interests me. I want a big screen slider c/w tool belt and physical keyboard
    The Z series are iBerry's and the Q is a 1/2 Blackberry, maybe the Q20 will be a REAL Blackberry until then my BEST option is my 9810
    03-30-14 12:31 AM
    Sorry I don't feel CRIPPLED even if my hands shake and I can't type on glass. I still use a 9810 for several reasons
    1. I'm still on an old 3 year contract
    2. It does everything I need with very few apps (hoping for 7.2 update)
    3. Blackberry has not made a BB10 phone that interests me. I want a big screen slider c/w tool belt and physical keyboard
    The Z series are iBerry's and the Q is a 1/2 Blackberry, maybe the Q20 will be a REAL Blackberry until then my BEST option is my 9810
    The Z is hardly an iBerry. I have an iDevice which I could 'try' to use productive and/or useful apps with but the Z just runs laps all over it. What's your experience?

As a previous 9800 and 9810 user I gotta say the Z10 has fulfilled my needs in spades, plus it doesn't choke- crazy! Miss the physical keyboard but the 9810's is super tiny and not like the Bold which I never got to own but have tried it out and is probably the best keyboard experience you can have on a phone, however, I've never tried the Q10. Have you? What does 1/2 BlackBerry mean anyway?

You do you realize that if you get the Q20 because of the fancy belt and buttons, you still have to deal with the monster, beast & powerhouse that is BB10... all with the crazy flick gesturin', toast notificators and whatnot.
    coldRooster likes this.
    03-30-14 12:54 AM

You said one or the other has to go. Which is either OS7 or the Q20. So if they continue with the Q20 they need to get rid of OS7.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 12:55 AM
    Chen has announced the restarting of the BB7 Bold line, or have you missed it?

#believeinfilm
    Wasn't it pretty much known that they'd keep making some 99xx phones to fill what demand there is left. That being to supply to companies using older versions of BES that do not intend to upgrade any time soon? I mean phones break and wear out. So it's logical to assume they'd always make at least a small number.

Or did he state something else??

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    Bbnivende and jakie55 like this.
    03-30-14 01:08 AM
    Dos is a bad analogy, more like Windows 7, which might not be a terrible idea.

Posted via CB10
    Nah. More like windows 8 vs. The old pre NT kernel OS es. 95/98/Me.

Win 8 and 7 are at the core very similar and similarly capable.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    03-30-14 01:15 AM
    Interesting thread.

I have told BelfastDispatcher he was crazy, although maybe not in so many words. I have argued with him for the better part of two years. I have earned an infraction through huge personal attacks against him. I have put him on Ignore.

Guess what.

BelfastDispatcher was right. I was wrong.

Part of being an adult is admitting when you're wrong. Others may do well to do the same.

Just sayin'.....
    I gotta agree. The more time that passes and the less BlackBerry 10 seems to catch on, the more Belfast's view is validated. We know the service revenues from BIS are very high margin for BlackBerry. And like it or not BlackBerry 10 has been a HUGE money pit. I love BlackBerry 10. But this ain't a religion. It's a business.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    jakie55 likes this.
    03-30-14 01:21 AM
    Can we now accept BBOS is a part of BlackBerry future and stop putting it down?

This move might just save BlackBerry

#believeinfilm
    No.

That is all.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    03-30-14 02:04 AM
    I'm saddened that there are so many here who supposedly love BlackBerry, hope for the best and etc etc, yet despise the classic OS, I'm totally lost on that, and the subject makes some of the posters get vicious. Oh well. I can only assume I'm in a tiny and hated niche because I think a new run of BBOS devices is actually pretty cool. I loved BBOS because it's what brought me to BlackBerry in the first place and has served me well for some years past.

I find little point one way in the other on questioning John Chen's decisions with all this "going backwards" bologna. They aren't making it their foremost product, and besides, that man has done more and is worth more than most of us here, I don't think his decisions are uncalculated.
    03-30-14 02:19 AM
917 ... 910111213 ...