Hopefully John Chen finds a way to sell more Q20s than Bolds and only then will the BBOS go unsold.

Powered by my BlackBerry (Z10). Join my #BBM Channels C001227CF, C00476C37, C003829C9, C002454C9,C002190AC, C00120CE3
    You're thinking the wrong way about it, you should think "hopefully Chen finds out what his customers really want and create a product they'll buy"

#believeinfilm
    03-29-14 09:03 AM
    Because the whole purpose of the Q20 is to get the crippled over to BB10. One or the other has to go. It's a money waste.

Posted via 10.3 on Verizon
    Its not a waste when its actually bringing in money. Until people switch, if they ever do, you can't cut limbs off your money tree.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    acovey likes this.
    03-29-14 09:04 AM
    He has a point. How many people on crackberry start a new thread?- "OMG I JUST GOT A FIVE YEAR OLD BBOS7 PHONE AND ITS BETTER THAN ANYTHING OUT THERE!" No one. The only people would be those that have already had them. Current, not new customers. And no, I'm not going solely off of crackberry. Just look around. How many people go around sprouting new os7 devices? Not a single person I know. And I bet not you.

Wrong, the people who had one still have one, they'll not start a new contract for the same phone.

People who had a premium BB7 device will not sign a new contract for a cheap 9720 or 9320 now after having a 9900, 9790 or 9810 for 2 years, that would be going a step back for them.

New users buy the existing BB7 models.

#believeinfilm
    acovey likes this.
    03-29-14 09:07 AM
    And you know that how? Does it matter anyway as long as they are being bought?

#believeinfilm
    Yes it does matter. Most business that stays static doesn't last long.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 03-29-14 at 09:59 AM. Reason: auto
    03-29-14 09:30 AM
    He made the announcement for the same reason Thor announced "one more BB7 device", to let investors know they have a backup plan to fall on.

If I was BB shareholder I would demand the same from Chen, why are you not making the devices a segment of the market still want? You just cant refuse to sell a product some people still want.
    Bb7 is not a backup plan. They will die if they just sell BB7 devices. They have gone from selling 13 Million in a quarter to 2.3. Has nothing to do with then not being new, it has to do with these are businesses that are not upgrading the BES until it is one BES to rule them all, or low end phones in low end markets that have all but been dominated now by cheap, ALL TOUCH Android devices. They are running a production of existing devices to make sure those business customers still have devices to buy or replace. BB10 rollouts in US Federal space are coming, just slow now because some ***** PMP set up control gates for their Six Sigma black belt (Sorry I have a disdain for Process Management and have watched it cripple the US Federal Government). Or BlackBerry told then about BES 12 and they have put the plans on hold to rollout a single solution.

I think that the Q20, and a new all touch will be coming out with BES12. Other than the Z3 I don't expect any new devices to come out or real sales in business to occur.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi and jakie55 like this.
    03-29-14 09:53 AM
    Here was BD's original 2014 prediction by the way.

Reading it back, it appears that congratulations are premature as the prediction pertains to a "new BBOS" device. It may not be a new device after all.

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Legacy platform, I see more and more talk of it lately on CB.

My prediction is this summer a new BBOS device will be launched, how good will it is debatable, I was very disappointed the last time with the 9720.

It will more likely be positioned as a classic blackberry, Chen is not stupid, he knows there's a market for it, albeit a limited market but why let somebody else cash in on that?

I've started this thread so I can come back this summer and say "I told you so
    Mark my worlds. [sic]
    Here's the original thread which is locked.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=904235
    03-29-14 10:07 AM
    Here was BD's original 2014 prediction by the way.

Reading it back, it appears that congratulations are premature as the prediction pertains to a "new BBOS" device. It may not be a new device after all.

Here's the original thread which is locked.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=904235
    Is this really necessary?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-29-14 10:15 AM
    You're thinking the wrong way about it, you should think "hopefully Chen finds out what his customers really want and create a product they'll buy"

#believeinfilm
    Okay, but here's my question: how many current iPhone or Android users do you think BlackBerry has any chance of winning over to legacy devices?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    03-29-14 10:17 AM
    Is this really necessary?
    It is directly on topic which was the original terms of the prediction on which victory is being claimed. To someone like me who is interested the reckoning of bets and predictions, it absolutely is necessary.
    03-29-14 10:25 AM
    It is directly on topic which was the original terms of the prediction on which victory is being claimed. To someone like me who is interested the reckoning of bets and predictions, it absolutely is necessary.
    Fine but you have to admit, while most people have said bbos is dead Belfast has been saying its not going anywhere and apparently its not. He had the guts to stand on his own against all the flack he got and he's still standing.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-29-14 10:28 AM
    Fine but you have to admit, while most people have said bbos is dead Belfast has been saying its not going anywhere and apparently its not. He had the guts to stand on his own against all the flack he got and he's still standing.
    You misunderstand me. I actually want BD to win this wager for precisely that reason - that he stubbornly held his ground against a raging onslaught of people ridiculing his ideas. It makes for a better, more entertaiing story if BD is actually proven right.
    03-29-14 10:34 AM
    Yawn.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 10:42 AM
    Wrong, the people who had one still have one, they'll not start a new contract for the same phone.

People who had a premium BB7 device will not sign a new contract for a cheap 9720 or 9320 now after having a 9900, 9790 or 9810 for 2 years, that would be going a step back for them.

#believeinfilm
    Not new users either ..probably to those whose phone has stopped working and they can't be bothered with getting a new OS phone or to restock business IT depts.
    03-29-14 10:58 AM
    Okay, but here's my question: how many current iPhone or Android users do you think BlackBerry has any chance of winning over to legacy devices?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    None, it's all about the new users.

#believeinfilm
    03-29-14 11:08 AM

#believeinfilm
    I'm talking about people who have never had a BlackBerry.

Shadowyugi likes this.
    03-29-14 11:12 AM
    You misunderstand me. I actually want BD to win this wager for precisely that reason - that he stubbornly held his ground against a raging onslaught of people ridiculing his ideas. It makes for a better, more entertaiing story if BD is actually proven right.
    It's too early to call it either way but I doubt it will be exactly the same 9900 or 9790.

#believeinfilm
    03-29-14 11:51 AM
    Not new users either ..probably to those whose phone has stopped working and they can't be bothered with getting a new OS phone or to restock business IT depts.
    I doubt anybody will go from a 9900 to a 9720, they're probably just buying a second hand one.

#believeinfilm
    03-29-14 12:10 PM
    That is all. They called me crazy!

#believeinfilm
    Is your ego really that fragile? :-P
    extisis likes this.
    03-29-14 12:29 PM
    Belfast deserves credit definitely. I'd love to see BlackBerry release a a Bold on updated hardware as I'm sure they could do it in a profitable manner. It would put Belfast's theory to the test once and for all. People would have a better BBOS device to upgrade to finally so either we'd actually see BBOS device sales improve, or we'd see that even with updated hardware people still are leaving the platform in increasing numbers

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 12:58 PM
    one thing about consumerism that smart companies know- you can't please every market. but by continuing production of the Bold, as planned and per agreement that BB had w/ the manufacturing company, they not only supply a demand but they also honor a business agreement. there is nothing wrong w/ having two OS platforms, and while there will still be unhappy confused people who complain and question it (as if they're being forced to use both) this strategy has a better chance at pleasing more of the markets that BB services than NOT doing it. Let Chen do his job. Even if the return of the bold doesn't mean new updates for OS7 legacy devices, as Chen has already officially stated, it adds to the encouragement that OS 7 WILL continue to be supported indefinitely. So you don't like the return of the bold ? okay, then don't get one.. problem solved.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    It's all in the numbers. OS7 devices outsold BB10 by more than 2 to 1. Kill OS7 devices and BB10 won't stand a chance. My Z10 is a good example, it is a flop.
    acovey and TgeekB like this.
    03-29-14 01:00 PM
    This makes sense if they stop production once Q20 is ready to go.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    It will only make sense to stop production when existing OS7 customers switch over to the Q20 convincingly.
    Last edited by Bishkin; 03-29-14 at 01:21 PM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-29-14 01:07 PM
    I do not understand Chen or his strategy. How many consumers thought that the 9900 was out of production ? Why even make an announcement ? The 9900 is an OK phone but only if you just use the phone to email ,text and make calls. My thoughts are if they want to continue to sell this phone then they should give the consumer some value. A bigger battery, better camera and a browser that is not lagging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Well, the OK phone happen to be doing well. It is good to make that announcement, that those wanting to get a 9900 later will have no need to consider an android or iphone. I thought BB stop making the 9900 already. I see no necessity to improve the 9900 as this will make its transition to Q20 easier if the latter proves to be a winner.
    03-29-14 01:21 PM
    The question to me is, what will the Canadian federal departments do. With around 260,000 employees, there has to be at least 50,000 handsets deployed. I do not see them ever going to iOS or Android unless BlackBerry disappears, and even then it will be years of rigorous "testing" to ensure standards are met before the transition occurs. That's the only guarantee I can see... any other level of gov't or any other company will have the free reign to switch to another platform, but as far as I can tell the public feds will stick to BB til it dies for nationalism and security reasons.

I'm seeing no updates to BB10 in these departments. Old curves are finally being replaced by 9900s across the board, but there is nothing beyond that in the works as far as I can tell. However, you have to work here to truly appreciate the glacial pace IT is implemented here... still running XP with no sign of a Win7 rollout anytime soon. Even if BB "discontinues" the OS7 devices, I can see them special-ordering them from BlackBerry just because it is easier to stay on it than to migrate on BB10
    03-29-14 01:47 PM
    I'm seeing no updates to BB10 in these departments. Old curves are finally being replaced by 9900s across the board, but there is nothing beyond that in the works as far as I can tell. However, you have to work here to truly appreciate the glacial pace IT is implemented here... still running XP with no sign of a Win7 rollout anytime soon. Even if BB "discontinues" the OS7 devices, I can see them special-ordering them from BlackBerry just because it is easier to stay on it than to migrate on BB10
    This "Win7" will show up in the form of Q20 which I have faith in as a much enhanced Bold on a better OS the BB10. One which will make those on BB's touch screen keyboards to switch over to, including ex-BB customers.
    03-29-14 01:59 PM
    Something is forgotten here, even if the 9900 is a 3 year old device, BBOS7.1 is a very accomplish OS. With todays standard that's still impressive, out of the box the 9900 is still probably the best solution without the need to download apps. Even CrackBerry classifies the Bold 9900 the best communication device out of all BB available. To me this move is to keep corporate user on board with BB, like someone said above, why even give corporate a sniff at switching phones.
    acovey likes this.
    03-29-14 02:22 PM
917 ... 89101112 ...