Today Microsoft announced the resumption of Windows XP.
    Due to the low sales of Windows 7 and 8.

In other news BlackBerry announced they have restarted production of the BlackBerry Pearl flip phone.

If one is not moving forward then the world will pass you buy..
    Quite a number of customers wouldn't have a problem with the resumption of Windows XP. It works for them so why should they upgrade is their argument. Maybe some BBOS users are of the same mindset.
    03-28-14 04:45 PM
    I can't believe I read this whole thread, I never do that..lol..anyway, I respect all the opinions here, and I'm still a fan of both BBOS 7 and BB10 for different reasons. I still try to stay hopeful for BB10 to do well. I was surprised to see AT&T bring back the 9900, it's online purchase only, but nonetheless it was interesting to see.
    3Dee likes this.
    03-28-14 05:01 PM
    Belfast, dude you bring Bad luck!!!

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    03-28-14 05:04 PM
    You brought up that bbos7 works and people know it and then go on to point out that it has features that bb10 doesn't.

I'm simple asking if you think that the average consumer, when buying a new phone, understands what in depth features it does/does not have?
    The "average consumer" doesn't buy blackberry, and especially the 9900. Business people and businesses and people familiar with BlackBerry do.

So, if you're comparing selling it to a BB10 with lesser features....and people want the BBOS with the features they already know and are willing to pay for it again....give it to them.
    acovey likes this.
    03-28-14 05:20 PM
    The "average consumer" doesn't buy blackberry, and especially the 9900. Business people and businesses and people familiar with BlackBerry do.

So, if you're comparing selling it to a BB10 with lesser features....and people want the BBOS with the features they already know and are willing to pay for it again....give it to them.
    In North American market perhaps, but that's not reflective of the rest of the world. The vast majority of legacy sales are on emerging markets.
    BYOD is the thing now,and just because you're a business person doesn't mean you know about phones. A lot of business people used to use whatever phone their company handed them. Now less and less companies are handing them anything. They're in the store buying a phone just like any other consumer.
    I guess you didn't read where I've said I agree that they should keep making them if they're making money.
    03-28-14 06:06 PM
    BBOS is stable folks
    That was not my experience when I had a 9900, sorry. I had so many device freezes, hour-glasses and reboots on that platform that I left. My iOS, Android, PlayBook and Z10 were all significantly more stable.

also the BIS which is very important for small businesses it's where BlackBerry can monopolize again, there are a number of small and medium sized businesses that refuse to make the switch because of the higher data charges
    Does anyone have any data that proves that this is the case? That people buying BlackBerry's a) Know what BIS is; b) know how benefits; and c) specifically choose a BlackBerry because of BIS?

It keeps getting brought up, but I'm very skeptical of it. If it were the force to reckon with, low cost Androids and Windows Phones should be stopped dead in their tracks in these markets ... and aren't! :-)

The BBOS is also a lot more stable and reliable, the rough start of BlackBerry 10 software
    I cannot express how much I completely disagree with this. I absolutely have had some of the issues that others have reported with BlackBerry 10, but it's Nothing in comparison to what I had on my last OS 7 devices. The constant hourglassing, the freezing, the battery pulls etc. Several times a week, I'd be yanking the battery. Nothing QNX based out of BlackBerry (or iOS or Android) has been like that for me.

lack of apps being another
    The app gap is absolutely an issue. But BBOS doesn't solve that. In fact, in many respects, it's worse. You don't have space to install apps. The device slows to a crawl when you do. They all reboot and the device takes 10 minutes to restart. Many of the apps are really simplistic due to COD file limitations and "lowest common device" style development on it. Again, I probably have 15 times the number of apps on my Z10 (and more on my PlayBook) than I ever had on any BlackBerry OS device.

Look guys - I agree - BlackBerry OS has things people like about it and has a place in the short term, but it's not a modern platform to run the company off of. Whether it's BlackBerry 10 or Android or Windows Phone, all of those platforms are simply more modern than BlackBerry OS and capable of more things. It's a lot easier to adapt things people liked about BlackBerry OS into them than it is for BlackBerry OS to resolve some of the giant structural issues of the aged heritage that it has.

Let's pretend BlackBerry didn't make BlackBerry 10 any more. Does anyone seriously think that BlackBerry OS suddenly would have had massive sales that caused the needle to move up???
    boeingrules likes this.
    03-28-14 06:21 PM
    That was not my experience when I had a 9900, sorry. I had so many device freezes, hour-glasses and reboots on that platform that I left. My iOS, Android, PlayBook and Z10 were all significantly more stable.

Does anyone have any data that proves that this is the case? That people buying BlackBerry's a) Know what BIS is; b) know how benefits; and c) specifically choose a BlackBerry because of BIS?

It keeps getting brought up, but I'm very skeptical of it. If it were the force to reckon with, low cost Androids and Windows Phones should be stopped dead in their tracks in these markets ... and aren't! :-)

I cannot express how much I completely disagree with this. I absolutely have had some of the issues that others have reported with BlackBerry 10, but it's Nothing in comparison to what I had on my last OS 7 devices. The constant hourglassing, the freezing, the battery pulls etc. Several times a week, I'd be yanking the battery. Nothing QNX based out of BlackBerry (or iOS or Android) has been like that for me.

The app gap is absolutely an issue. But BBOS doesn't solve that. In fact, in many respects, it's worse. You don't have space to install apps. The device slows to a crawl when you do. They all reboot and the device takes 10 minutes to restart. Many of the apps are really simplistic due to COD file limitations and "lowest common device" style development on it. Again, I probably have 15 times the number of apps on my Z10 (and more on my PlayBook) than I ever had on any BlackBerry OS device.

Look guys - I agree - BlackBerry OS has things people like about it and has a place in the short term, but it's not a modern platform to run the company off of. Whether it's BlackBerry 10 or Android or Windows Phone, all of those platforms are simply more modern than BlackBerry OS and capable of more things. It's a lot easier to adapt things people liked about BlackBerry OS into them than it is for BlackBerry OS to resolve some of the giant structural issues of the aged heritage that it has.

Let's pretend BlackBerry didn't make BlackBerry 10 any more. Does anyone seriously think that BlackBerry OS suddenly would have had massive sales that caused the needle to move up???
    Let me put it this way stable in terms of reboots and many issues or lack of fill functionality with BB10 at launch, like I said BlackBerry has done horrendously at conveying the difference between 10 0 and 10. 2 it's like two different devices, the issue of BIS is important for many out there they continue to like the compression which relates to lower data operational costs, I deal with a lot of businesses in the Emerging market and I have had the conversation with many about making the switch to BlackBerry 10 and for many the lack of compression is a major factor. Actually even an associate out of the UK started to make the transition to BlackBerry 10 and after their first months billing they reverted to BBOS they weren't aware that BlackBerry 10 was not compressed. Personally my business is more than half way through the transition, we will not go back to BBOS for the reasons you pointed out which I do agree with (battery pulls etc) ,I still personally carry a Bold hybrid and the Z10/30. I Love BlackBerry 10 and I am sad to see BlackBerry doing a Very poor job of Marketing .I think now what they are trying to do is what they should have done a year ago. I just hope that they realize the need to ramp up specs in the hardware side and deal with the continuing issue of software development to close whatever differences there are between BBOS and BB10. And no, had they not brought BlackBerry 10 they would still be losing market share perhaps not as accelerated a rate as its currently but they would have been on the downward trend. To correct the problem they now need to clean up and clear up public perception hopefully the next generation of BlackBerry 10 devices will fix this problem. Again for continued recurrent revenue they need to reintroduce BIS on BlackBerry 10 along with secure cloud services.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and RubberChicken76 like this.
    03-28-14 06:52 PM
    BB should just make the Q20 a hybrid and run BB 10 and OS 7. Hopefully business users can then learn to appreciate BB 10.
    coldRooster likes this.
    03-28-14 07:06 PM
    That is all. They called me crazy!

#believeinfilm
    I still call you crazy! It is getting ridiculous but there probably are still far too many sllllooowwly moving public sector bodies and regulated companies that for whatever reason haven't, can't or won't move on from BES5 and BBOS7 yet.

Regulatory certification in countries around the world for new mobile platforms, devices and MDMs (BB10, the phones and BES10) can take ice ages to happen, it usually comes just before the platform and devices become obsolete! So if there is a market there to be sold to, and they will be made and sold profitably (as Chen has said) then it's money waiting to be collected.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    03-28-14 07:12 PM
    Chen has announced the restarting of the BB7 Bold line, or have you missed it?

#believeinfilm
    That's not what he said.... he said a new production of the same Bold...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    acovey likes this.
    03-28-14 07:18 PM
    That's not what he said.... he said a new production of the same Bold...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    But he didn't did he? He never said it will be the same Bold so let's just wait and see instead of assuming.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 07:22 PM
    That is all. They called me crazy!

#believeinfilm
    You were ahead of your time; except in a going back to legacy way.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 07:31 PM
    But he didn't did he? He never said it will be the same Bold so let's just wait and see instead of assuming.

#believeinfilm
    You were pretty damn sure and all over yourself on the OP...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    03-28-14 07:31 PM
    You were pretty damn sure and all over yourself on the OP...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I'm just happy Legacy lives on

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 07:38 PM

#believeinfilm
    I'm just happy that Windows 3.1 lives on.
    Thunderbuck and acovey like this.
    03-28-14 08:16 PM
    BYOD is the thing now,and just because you're a business person doesn't mean you know about phones.
    No, but the buyers of 9900's buy them for a reason.

A lot of business people used to use whatever phone their company handed them. Now less and less companies are handing them anything.
    Yes, there are more BYOD's, but still a lot of others that are not. A lot of others.

I guess you didn't read where I've said I agree that they should keep making them if they're making money.
    Why do you guess that?
    03-28-14 09:02 PM
    After reading today's news, I came back here knowing that there would be an entertaining "I told you so" thread. I was not disappointed.

I love it when reckoning time for predictions come along.
    03-28-14 09:15 PM

#believeinfilm
    as long as it makes you happy that's all that matters right? BBOS 7.1 in full effect! Once you buy this epic legacy device, please post a youtube video with you showcasing the amazing features! Wait... i can just fire up my 9810 again. Lemme pull the battery, hold on.
    03-28-14 09:29 PM
    There will be no further development of OS 7. Specs will not be better. This is just continued availability of at least one legacy device, made more profitable through some new contracts. This is really just throwing a life line out to some of BB's biggest customers in big business and government. They need to still have devices, and BB had to be able to not only supply them, but also make money on them (thus the new deal). Once BES12 comes, there will be a big push to get customers moved to it. The transitional device is the Classic (Q20).

BB managed the transition very poorly. They are trying to do it right now, but much of the damage is done. This will help though to retain some of those regulated customers and properly transition them.
    acovey likes this.
    03-28-14 09:47 PM
    Apps. Apps. Apps. Bb10 >OS7

Posted via 10.3 on Verizon
    03-28-14 09:58 PM
    LONG LIVE BB OS7 !!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    03-28-14 10:06 PM
    I find it hard to believe this is more than a provisional move. I have no doubt that there are many corporate customers out there who would prefer to stay on legacy BES for another couple of years or so, and there's the die-hard throwback market, but neither of these is going to last forever.

The legacy BBOS app catalog is actually SHRINKING as developers pull their apps from the market.

All this said, the company wouldn't be doing this if it didn't feel there was still a market for legacy devices. It gives them the opportunity to hold on to customers who might go to other platforms. It will NOT win them any new customers; anybody who's become accustomed to iPhones or half-decent Androids will not be satisfied.

My two questions: how many resources are going into improving BBOS? And are actual new models being developed?
    Bbnivende and ubizmo like this.
    03-28-14 11:48 PM
    I find it hard to believe this is more than a provisional move. I have no doubt that there are many corporate customers out there who would prefer to stay on legacy BES for another couple of years or so, and there's the die-hard throwback market, but neither of these is going to last forever.

The legacy BBOS app catalog is actually SHRINKING as developers pull their apps from the market.

All this said, the company wouldn't be doing this if it didn't feel there was still a market for legacy devices. It gives them the opportunity to hold on to customers who might go to other platforms. It will NOT win them any new customers; anybody who's become accustomed to iPhones or half-decent Androids will not be satisfied.

My two questions: how many resources are going into improving BBOS? And are actual new models being developed?
    I don't think they are developing any BBOS phones. They are just producing more bolds for the demand. Why make a Q20 if you are trying to keep people on legacy. No they are just doing this temporarily until Q20 is out for people to get off legacy completely.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    extisis and acovey like this.
    03-29-14 01:31 AM
    0 resources to improve BBOS. It's kinda like the descriptions on ebay where it says "sold as is". That's BBOS. You're just getting another Bold. nothing to be excited about at all really.
    03-29-14 01:34 AM
    I do not understand Chen or his strategy. How many consumers thought that the 9900 was out of production ? Why even make an announcement ? The 9900 is an OK phone but only if you just use the phone to email ,text and make calls. My thoughts are if they want to continue to sell this phone then they should give the consumer some value. A bigger battery, better camera and a browser that is not lagging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-29-14 02:03 AM
917 ... 678910 ...