This is a real problem for BBRY. OS 10 is much better than the old OS7, the Q20 with the 5 control buttons should solve the problem and help the migration from Legacy to Blackberry 10. If they continue to sell less Blackberry 10 devices than Legacy devices they will die.
    I understand Legacy Blackberry's fans, it took me a few mounths to undertand the new OS 10 and then buy it, my first experience with the Blackberry 10 OS was not that good, I didn't understood the OS and didn't recognized Blackberry the way I knew it. But after testing a Q5 for 30 minutes in a shop I said to myself "This is amazing, I what one".
    Let's face it, Blackberry OS7 is obsolete.
    03-28-14 03:02 PM
    Might as well bring back the Curve, maybe price it in the $100 range. At least they could beef up the service revenues.
    03-28-14 03:06 PM
    That is all. They called me crazy!

#believeinfilm
    No, I think what was announced was:
    "BlackBerry Classic"
    same form factor as Bold, but running:
    BlackBerry 10.x OS!!

UPDATE: I re-read the news, and I stand corrected. belfastdispatcher is right.
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 03-28-14 at 03:24 PM.
    03-28-14 03:06 PM
    Might as well bring back the Curve, maybe price it in the $100 range. At least they could beef up the service revenues.
    Lmao, they did, the 9720

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 03:08 PM
    No, I think what was announced was:
    "BlackBerry Classic"
    same form factor as Bold, but running:
    BlackBerry 10.x OS!!
    Huh? Read the news again.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 03:09 PM
    It might be worth throwing in that Chen has consistently said he is focusing on Enterprise. The keyboard phones, whether BB10 or a Bold 9900 are obviously aimed at this group.
    03-28-14 03:10 PM

Already addressed....just above. Z10's are FREE from Verizon. Still can't sell any.

BBOS7 WORKS. People know it.
    Here's the thing. It's not a Z10 or BlackBerry 10 exclusive thing. BlackBerry is a four letter word in the US. You don't see any carrier store saying, "we sell no Z10s but lots of 9900s"

People in US know (and don't trust) BlackBerry OS devices. They don't know (and still don't trust) BlackBerry 10 devices because they are BlackBerry's

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and coldRooster like this.
    03-28-14 03:12 PM
    Already addressed....just above. Z10's are FREE from Verizon. Still can't sell any.

BBOS7 WORKS. People know it. It has features that BB10 is still.......to this day....waiting to implement. THAT'S why it sells. For some, being cheap doesn't hurt either.
    Do you really think the average user actually knows most of the features their phone has before they buy it?
    You are giving average consumers far too much credit.
    They get what is popular an being pushed by their carrier.
    03-28-14 03:23 PM
    Huh? Read the news again.

#believeinfilm
    Ok. I stand corrected.
    03-28-14 03:24 PM
    The Z10 is $300 on Verizon on a month to month. There is no such thing as a free phone. You pay higher monthly fees in one form or another. Still why isn't the Z10 $300 on Bell on a month to month ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    southlander likes this.
    03-28-14 03:25 PM
    Here's the thing. It's not a Z10 or BlackBerry 10 exclusive thing. BlackBerry is a four letter word in the US. You don't see any carrier store saying, "we sell no Z10s but lots of 9900s"

People in US know (and don't trust) BlackBerry OS devices. They don't know (and still don't trust) BlackBerry 10 devices because they are BlackBerry's

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this. My point was in regards to the post I responded to....why continuing to sell 9900's isn't a bad thing if they sell more than BB10s' You're other facts (that I agree with) don't change that.
    03-28-14 03:36 PM
    Do you really think the average user actually knows most of the features their phone has before they buy it?
    You are giving average consumers far too much credit.
    They get what is popular an being pushed by their carrier.
    Uh, what?

What does anything I said have to do with anything you just said?

Did you respond to the wrong post?
    03-28-14 03:37 PM
    The Z10 is $300 on Verizon on a month to month. There is no such thing as a free phone. You pay higher monthly fees in one form or another. Still why isn't the Z10 $300 on Bell on a month to month ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    ... and the 9930 is $499 month to month. BB10 is cheaper. The whole BBOS sells better because it's cheaper argument doesn't really fly. At least in the U.S.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    03-28-14 03:41 PM
    I agree with this. My point was in regards to the post I responded to....why continuing to sell 9900's isn't a bad thing if they sell more than BB10s' You're other facts (that I agree with) don't change that.
    If there's demand and money to be made because it can be done low cost, totally agree. If Chen is having a manufacturer run off devices cheap that they can move for a decent margin and get some service revenue, it helps buy some time.

I'm not sold on the idea of investing further in the development of that platform though. Don't think new OS 7 updates or new OS 7 hardware designs will make any difference, personally.
    03-28-14 04:06 PM
    ... and the 9930 is $499 month to month. BB10 is cheaper. The whole BBOS sells better because it's cheaper argument doesn't really fly. At least in the U.S.
    Without knowing how well each device sells in the US, I'd be loathe to speculate. It's probably a case of neither move.
    03-28-14 04:07 PM
    A distinction worth making:

Whilst BB7 is continuing, I'm not actually sure it's for the 'good' reasons those of us who loved it saw it as too good to abandon wholesale.

I''ll be the first to agree that the carefully crafted efficiencies in the BBOS have been lost in Heins' push for BB10 to be all things to all people (Jack of all trades master on none in my opinion), but Chen gets this and is fairly rapidly steering the BB10 ship around to a focus on efficiency and incorporating the key missing aspects from the BBOS.

So why is BB7 continuing? Is it just to plug the gap until BB10 catches back up to the BBOS for efficiency and the BB way? I think most of us would agree that BIS isn't really the advantage deal breaker we saw it as - our BB10 handsets are still pretty secure, the datapocolypse never happened, and we're now used to having large data plans to supplement increasingly available WiFi.

So why is BBOS being continued? Is it really part of BlackBerry's future, is it a stopgap, or are they forced into it reluctantly as at the moment low cost plans in developing countries and low cost bulk handset corporate orders are determining how BlackBerry define themselves - surely not a good thing?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-28-14 04:10 PM
    BBOS is stable folks, it has a market because of the pricing and also the BIS which is very important for small businesses it's where BlackBerry can monopolize again, there are a number of small and medium sized businesses that refuse to make the switch because of the higher data charges, BlackBerry 10 needs this! There are many markets where Data pricing are astronomical, the BlackBerry 10 OS launch was botched, they now need to refocus. The BBOS is also a lot more stable and reliable, the rough start of BlackBerry 10 software is one reason why the sales have been poor, BlackBerry has done a very poor job of conveying that 10.2 is a far cry from the OS at launch. Pathetic marketing and the lack of apps being another, though now with a access to Android runtime this would have closed the gap considerably ,again BlackBerry did not convey this properly either. Monetization could now come from bringing back BIS on BlackBerry 10, BBM for corporate and BBM channels and money. They can also make revenue by also having a secure cloud system, a small fee for these services will bring great revenue again. Again the results today were expected and also that the company will return to profitability sooner than expected. Now they just can't afford to make any mistakes. Both BBOS and BB10 has a market like it or not and both can simultaneously exist.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 03-28-14 at 04:31 PM.
    acovey likes this.
    03-28-14 04:12 PM
    Uh, what?

What does anything I said have to do with anything you just said?

Did you respond to the wrong post?
    You brought up that bbos7 works and people know it and then go on to point out that it has features that bb10 doesn't.

I'm simple asking if you think that the average consumer, when buying a new phone, understands what in depth features it does/does not have?

I believe the vast majority of them want what's cool (teens), what their kids recommend (parents of teens), what they see the most, or what their sales rep at the store (their carrier) tells them they want (a heck of a lot of people for these last two).

I agree with your overall point though, if it sells, keep selling it.

IMO, it's not a step backwards because the lackluster sales of bb10 aren't exactly a step forward.
    03-28-14 04:14 PM
    I really think they are doing this because OS 7 devices still bring in revenue and they still outsell BB10 devices. Have they made money on any BB10 devices? Especially since no BIS revenue is coming from BB10 devices?

Given BB's state, I think they need to almost go by the "If its not broke, don't fix it." OS 7 from a strategic standpoint is broken and outdated. But its one of the few things that are generating revenue for them, so it has to be sustained. Hopefully they can get the strategy going again by getting OS 7 owners to BB10 devices. But until they make enough money form BB10 devices, what will replace OS 7 device/service revenue?

They can only cut costs so much to a point where it doesn't interfere with their business. In other words, they should still be cutting costs by the end of this year.Have to generate income and revenue more steadily and not rely so much on cutting everything.
    03-28-14 04:17 PM
    I agree that this is a real problem. When BBRY is hoping to transition to BB10, BB OS7 outsells it. This means teams of hardware and software must be kept on staff working on these things costing the company precious resources instead of winding the teams down or transitioning them to bigger and better things. I really hope that the Z3 and Q5, and Q20 kills the OS 7 market and that BBM revenue can make up for the resulting lost BIS revenue. Hopefully the BES 5 clients can be upgraded to BES12 seamlessly and then enticed to upgrade to Q20's or whatever other BB 10 devices they make. That way those OS 7 resources can be put to better use.
    03-28-14 04:20 PM
    If there was ever a game over moment, this has got to be it.

If Chen wanted to undermine BB10, he couldn't have done a better job than by making this announcement which not only creates confusion among developers but also shows how truly f'd up things are over in the C-suite at Waterloo.

What other company would make such a public vote of no confidence in its own platform as this? Even when Windows 8 was being trashed by the media and others, Microsoft didn't flinch and roll things back.

BBOS was great in its day and BBRY screwed up royally when it launched BB10 without incorporating all the key, differentiating elements of BBOS into BB10 but to now go back to BB7 or, at the very least, signal a continued commitment to BB7 is nuts.
    BigManRonnie likes this.
    03-28-14 04:20 PM
    I really think they are doing this because OS 7 devices still bring in revenue and they still outsell BB10 devices. Have they made money on any BB10 devices? Especially since no BIS revenue is coming from BB10 devices?

Given BB's state, I think they need to almost go by the "If its not broke, don't fix it." OS 7 from a strategic standpoint is broken and outdated. But its one of the few things that are generating revenue for them, so it has to be sustained. Hopefully they can get the strategy going again by getting OS 7 owners to BB10 devices. But until they make enough money form BB10 devices, what will replace OS 7 device/service revenue?

They can only cut costs so much to a point where it doesn't interfere with their business. In other words, they should still be cutting costs by the end of this year.Have to generate income and revenue more steadily and not rely so much on cutting everything.
    Exactly.
    If it's making more money than bb10, it just makes sense to keep selling them.
    They don't have to spend money to market them obviously.
    I honestly didn't see this coming, and it argued with BD at the time, but I can see now based on the numbers that it makes sense.
    acovey and belfastdispatcher like this.
    03-28-14 04:22 PM
    If os 7 is being continued then there is no need to put out more keyboard phones. So, Imo scrap those phones. Rush and release the z50 by or before the iPhone 6 Samsung etc. And have the best phone on the market. Sales would be on the + side, carriers would probably push the phone as being the best phone on the market. As long as they advertise right. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 04:29 PM
    I read the conference call transcript available on Seeking Alpha and if you can understand Chen you are a better reader than I am. After reading the transcript I have even less understanding of BB's plan for OS7 than I did before. He throws out terms like Bold and Classic with out precision.

I think that the 9900 is still selling to enterprise but what is selling in Indonesia and Nigeria ? Please read the transcript if you get the chance and tell me what you get out of what Chen says.
    03-28-14 04:42 PM
    If os 7 is being continued then there is no need to put out more keyboard phones. So, Imo scrap those phones. Rush and release the z50 by or before the iPhone 6 Samsung etc. And have the best phone on the market. Sales would be on the + side, carriers would probably push the phone as being the best phone on the market. As long as they advertise right. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    It's not that it's being continued, bc it's not like they're releasing a new handset or advancing the os further. They're just not killing it off .

Why push yet another all touch when the Q10 is the bb10 that is actually selling?
    They have two with keyboards, soon to be three. They have two, soon to be four (z3 and z3 lte), all touch already.

Let's be honest, the hardware and OS really isn't the problem. It's getting them into people's hands and keeping them there. I still believe that if BlackBerry world had the selection that both ios and android have it would be easy.
    The reality is that bb10 needed to be released 1-2 years sooner. We find ourselves in a self-perpetuating cycle. By not coming out sooner, BlackBerry lost market share. Without market share developers shied away. With no developers there were lackluster sales and loss of market share. Continues ad nauseum.
    03-28-14 04:44 PM
917 ... 56789 ...