These threads are starting to be groundhog day like. Belfast says positive things about BBOS7 devices and future devices. People tell him "he doesn?t get it" and he's crazy, and he's wrong, and then a few weeks/months later he's proven right.

It's just a matter of time before the usual suspects jump into this thread too.

Perhaps we should wait it out before telling him he doesn't get it.

Posted via CB10
    Whole heartedly agree with you - perfectly put.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    03-28-14 11:43 AM
    Because he clearly said they are focused on being keyboard centric and 9790 is all touch. Also, and I am guessing here, they would not have gotten a good deal if they were changing the internals. The other reason not to change the internals is it might require re certification with the carriers. And Chen was very specific he is NOT going to sacrifice margin for volume.

Besides by the time carriers certify the new/improved Bold, BES12 would be out and BES13 beta available.

All the evidence points to a new "variable" run of 9900; likely tapering off at the end of this year. And if I were to go out on a limb I would say by end of next year they will no longer produce any legacy device.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm, no, here's the 9790. OS 7 will continue!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1396025032.449792.jpg

#believeinfilm
    mikeo007 likes this.
    03-28-14 11:43 AM
    Dr. Evil has been hired as product manager for the new Bold...

OS 7 will continue!-mockit_28032014094307.jpg

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:44 AM
    Have you ever wondered maybe that's what BlackBerry customers want from BlackBerry?

Nobody seems to want BB10 after all, ok not nobody but very very few.

#believeinfilm
    I think and hope there is room for both.
    I know on my desk there is. :-)
    acovey likes this.
    03-28-14 11:47 AM
    They said they are running a new production of the existing Bold. Not a new phone, just making more of an existing one.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    Hmmm, no, here's the 9790. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1396025032.449792.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	259048

#believeinfilm
    In that case my apologies I made an erroneous assumption. But crux of my thesis still remains the same. They will produce either 9900 or 9790 (may be both if the deal was good enough) exactly same as it is currently with NO evolutionary improvement.

Posted via CB10
    They said they are running a new production of the existing Bold. Not a new phone, just making more of an existing one.

Posted via CB10
    There's 2 existing Bolds though.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 11:48 AM
    The only reason os7 outsells bb10 is because they can sell crappy curves for 60 bucks off contract.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    And that is perfect when you are selling into a market with a billion + people. Compared to North America who generally will only buy high end devices.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:49 AM
    I have no problem with the continuation of OS7 if it still sells. Why waste all that years of good research and development effort? It was and continues to be a decent niche product for certain businesses. We still use them in many of the Canadian federal departments, and some people are still having their older Curves "updated" to the 9900s. I can see BB as a company folding before OS7 dies.

I like BB10 and am a satisfied owner of the Z30 but it in so many ways feels just like a carbon copy of iOS and Android, with fewer apps and features but a better messaging system and stock keyboard. It may as well be an Android skin. OS7 on the other hand really had a unique feel to it and there are several parts of it I do miss.
    acovey likes this.
    03-28-14 12:08 PM
    I think you have to look at where os7 still sells. Do you know anyone that has bought one in the past year? I can't name one. I know many that have bought bb10. Bb7 is selling in emerging markets because ITS CHEAP. A new curve 9320 for 50 bucks. Bb10 phones can't compete at that price.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    Yes. 9900's are everywhere in the corporate world....they buy them like candy. When I work with big company clients, they usually have a 9900 with them (and sometimes their own phone too.) Just watch live news report from a major network, occasionally you'll actually see one in their hand, or even on the news desk.

I've never seen a single BB10 product.....ever...except one guy at a bar at a hotel at Disney. That's it.

Z10's are cheap too so that blows that argument. Verizon is giving them away on contract.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-28-14 12:23 PM
    Paper isn't technology. The printer is.
    The technology was the printer (that requires paper) vs. the electronic communications. People still want paper and printers even though it's old technology and they could move "forward" to something electronic only. Get it yet?

And you don't see any company going back to printers ten years ago just because a few people might like it.
    Companies never left printers...that's the whole point. Its old but still people want it. Get it yet?

And take a look at the percentage that tesla stock went up in a year. 234%. How's that for a "selling hotcakes"
    Ha, that's hilarious. Desperate, but hilarious. How many Tesla's were sold last year, regardless of it's stock? Now, how many gas cars were sold last year? Stock price doesn't mean sales or demand. Get it yet?

Tesla is a luxury brand anyway, not really a good analogy to food, or printers or phones.
    03-28-14 12:30 PM

I've never seen a single BB10 product.....ever...except one guy at a bar at a hotel at Disney. That's it.

Z10's are cheap too so that blows that argument. Verizon is giving them away on contract.
    Depends where you are. I see Z10s and Q10s every morning on the Toronto subway. My last company had the BlackBerry 10 devices as the corporate standard moving forward, even over iOS.

I'm not suggesting that you aren't right overall, but that it really does depend where you are.
    03-28-14 12:31 PM
    Depends where you are. I see Z10s and Q10s every morning on the Toronto subway. My last company had the BlackBerry 10 devices as the corporate standard moving forward, even over iOS.

I'm not suggesting that you aren't right overall, but that it really does depend where you are.
    Of course....you are in Canada. Not really a surprise there. I bet you see more hockey than the rest of the world does too. Not knocking Canada or hockey, just saying that being in the back yard of BlackBerry doesn't mean your results are the same as the rest of the world.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-28-14 12:36 PM
    There's 2 existing Bolds though.

#believeinfilm
    9790 was not released in the US by any carriers that I remember. If any of this production is for the US then it will have to be the 99xx. If not then could use the 9790. Also I don't think the 9790 ever went through FIPS.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lnichols; 03-28-14 at 01:20 PM.
    03-28-14 12:42 PM
    It will be interesting because after a chat with a someone from BB I asked about the OS7 thingy and go this: Probably no new design but one problem is that they got rid of all their OS7 software teams and also sold off the radio group......
    03-28-14 12:47 PM
    That is all. They called me crazy!

#believeinfilm
    You again.
    extisis likes this.
    03-28-14 01:03 PM
    The technology was the printer (that requires paper) vs. the electronic communications. People still want paper and printers even though it's old technology and they could move "forward" to something electronic only. Get it yet?

People need printers. People don't want printers from ten years ago. Get it yet?

Companies never left printers...that's the whole point. Its old but still people want it. Get it yet?

It's an old technology. That doesn't mean the products they release now are old. They aren't going back to printers of 2004. Get it yet?

Ha, that's hilarious. Desperate, but hilarious. How many Tesla's were sold last year, regardless of it's stock? Now, how many gas cars were sold last year? Stock price doesn't mean sales or demand. Get it yet?

Tesla is a luxury brand anyway, not really a good analogy to food, or printers or phones.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogo...e-competition/

Gas cars sold more because they're affordable. Not because people want it. It's prices. That's why BBOS7 still sells more than BB10. Cause you can get one for $60. And no. Stock price means projected growth and worth of the company. Get it yet?

Posted via 10.3 on Verizon
    03-28-14 01:23 PM
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogo...e-competition/

Gas cars sold more because they're affordable. Not because people want it. It's prices. That's why BBOS7 still sells more than BB10. Cause you can get one for $60. And no. Stock price means projected growth and worth of the company. Get it yet?

And that stuff in the quote is mine. I didn't realize itd throw it in there.

03-28-14 01:24 PM
    Of course....you are in Canada. Not really a surprise there. I bet you see more hockey than the rest of the world does too. Not knocking Canada or hockey, just saying that being in the back yard of BlackBerry doesn't mean your results are the same as the rest of the world.
    Of course. That was my same point to you ... making the assumption that your experience is the same as everywhere else is silly.
    03-28-14 01:31 PM
    Your right, yet again. The BD thread are always so entertaining! Top notch, very active and keeps me reading.

Regardless, if its a new device or if they just continue the production line on the 9900, bbos7 will live on for a few more years. I wish they would beef it up a bit, I realized that going to a dual or quad core isn't possible on that particular OS, but put in the biggest chipset available and the most amount of ram it can handle, it could be a very good device. Till recently the 9900 was still available to buy and was still fetching $600 + brand new with a 3 year old hardware.
    03-28-14 02:01 PM
    Your right, yet again. The BD thread are always so entertaining! Top notch, very active and keeps me reading.

Regardless, if its a new device or if they just continue the production line on the 9900, bbos7 will live on for a few more years. I wish they would beef it up a bit, I realized that going to a dual or quad core isn't possible on that particular OS, but put in the biggest chipset available and the most amount of ram it can handle, it could be a very good device. Till recently the 9900 was still available to buy and was still fetching $600 + brand new with a 3 year old hardware.
    You must have missed the part where BB reworked its deal with the manufacturer to make a cheaper Bold.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-28-14 02:27 PM
    if BB would have kept BIS with BB 10...would have had been better for sale of BB10????
    03-28-14 02:32 PM
    You must have missed the part where BB reworked its deal with the manufacturer to make a cheaper Bold.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Surely the 9900 hardware parts are way cheaper after 3 years.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 02:39 PM
    Numbers Don't Lie: Tesla Is Beginning To Put The Hurt On The Competition - Forbes

Gas cars sold more because they're affordable. Not because people want it.

Ha, that's funny. How much is a Prius? A lot less than an Explorer. Which sells more?

[That's why BBOS7 still sells more than BB10.

Already addressed....just above. Z10's are FREE from Verizon. Still can't sell any.

BBOS7 WORKS. People know it. It has features that BB10 is still.......to this day....waiting to implement. THAT'S why it sells. For some, being cheap doesn't hurt either.

[ Stock price means projected growth and worth of the company. Get it yet?

Key word: projected. Has nothing to do with actual sales or actual demand relative to an older technolgoy. Get it?

What was the point of the link? Other than to show that Telsa is making headway?
    03-28-14 02:43 PM
    Perhaps blackberry needs to make a phone that incorporates both. The underlying OS is QNX but the UI is BBOS like? I don't know.

I think (and hope) as BB10 continues to evolve the sales numbers will rise.

Posted via CB10
    Yes!!!!
    I LOVE my Q...however...the Bold OS7 UI is pretty nice.
    Philosophically I want BB, in almost every way, to stand out a little, especially if they pursue being a niche device. This starts with the look of the screen, as you pass by it in a carrier store. Currently I walk by a Z30 in Verizon, and the app layout looks like...an iPhone. DO not get me wrong - I am not saying the OS, or the functionality - but the UI is very similar.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 02:52 PM
917 ... 45678 ...