People keep throwing in the windows 8 analogy.

But every work laptop i've bought with windows 8 has had that removed and windows 7 or Linux installed cos nobody likes windows 8.

It's not a question of people not knowing what it does or how to use it - none of my people like it.

The BB7 - BB10 argument is similar, except people dont know about BB10 and they have no way of comparing because retailers are not carrying or showing them. Add the high cost of buying into BB10 and you can see why take up has been slow.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out surely.
    03-28-14 10:59 AM
    How many people do you see drinking "new" Coke? I'm pretty sure they did better by going back to classic Coke.

I'm pretty sure people still by paper for their printers even though we have ways to electronically communicate.

I'm pretty sure people still drive gas sucking cars even though you can buy one that is a plug-in.

"Backwards" and "forwards" are completely relative terms. If you go "forwards" and make a product that people don't buy and/or is incomplete....did you really go "forwards"?
    While I see your point, it doesn't stand because technology and food are two completely different markets. In a technological market you need to innovate and move ahead to stay in business. Food, you don't necessarily. And just because people love something doesn't mean it'll stay. *twinkie*

Posted via 10.3 on Verizon
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-28-14 11:01 AM
    Whatever will make BlackBerry profitable, I'm all for.

Posted via CB10
    Chen just did an an interview with CNBC and stated they are starting up the Playbook line once again. Apparently enterprise customers are requesting an end to end solution to go with the OS7 phones.

NOT!
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    03-28-14 11:01 AM
    Chen seems to only care about legacy keyboard users.
    If that were true, there wouldn't be a Z3

If he didn't care about BlackBerry 10, there would be no OS updates and no new BlackBerry 10 devices

There are both.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh and acovey like this.
    03-28-14 11:03 AM
    Honestly, what killed BlackBerry in my country (Mexico) was BIS, no one wants to pay for BIS, a regular data plan is cheaper and legacy devices are useless without BIS...

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    extisis and misko016 like this.
    03-28-14 11:09 AM
    I don't think you understand, legacy users want to maintain the experience, they don't want something completely new again, the 9900 was beautiful and solid.

Think about it 9700 to 9780 to 9790, 9800 to 9810, iphone 5 to iPhone 5s, nothing new here, I expect the difference to be on then inside.

#believeinfilm
    I do not believe this to be the case for majority. They are held hostage to their company policy and budget constraints.

If what you say was overwhelmingly true I would have seen some users in our company either request a legacy device or return the newer one for a legacy one. Hasn't happened. Not once.

Based on my understanding while listening to the call there is no upgrade to the inside of the 9900. It is going to be the same device.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:10 AM
    I don't think you understand, legacy users want to maintain the experience, they don't want something completely new again, the 9900 was beautiful and solid.

Think about it 9700 to 9780 to 9790, 9800 to 9810, iphone 5 to iPhone 5s, nothing new here, I expect the difference to be on then inside.

#believeinfilm
    No you don't understand. I was correcting your original statement that they are bringing out a "new" OS7 device. I was not commenting on users or preferences or any other such tangent you are on in your reply. The 9900 is not new. It is however a great phone so no argument there.
    03-28-14 11:12 AM
    If that were true, there wouldn't be a Z3

If he didn't care about BlackBerry 10, there would be no OS updates and no new BlackBerry 10 devices

There are both.
    Posted via CB10
    I'm not saying he is abandoning BB10. But his main focus seems to be legacy, keyboard users. And his strategy involves the outdated os7.
    like I said, Chen need to push BB10 aggressively instead of continuing os7 support. Any devices intended for emerging markets should be aggressively priced bb10 devices.
    03-28-14 11:13 AM
    While I see your point, it doesn't stand because technology and food are two completely different markets.
    I gave two examples of technology, not food.

In a technological market you need to innovate and move ahead to stay in business.
    Right. You mean like.........plug in cars? Those are selling like hotcakes and any car maker that goes back to the "old technology" of gas machines is just going backwards. Right?
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-28-14 11:15 AM
    No you don't understand. I was correcting your original statement that they are bringing out a "new" OS7 device. I was not commenting on users or preferences or any other such tangent you are on in your reply. The 9900 is not new. It is however a great phone so no argument there.
    Is that for sure or is that your interpretation? I've heard Bold line which is made up of 9900 and 9790 so far.

Could be wrong but I think it will be new, no mater if it will look like either of the last 2 Bolds.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 11:18 AM
    Is that for sure or is that your interpretation? I've heard Bold line which is made up of 9900 and 9790 so far.

Could be wrong but I think it will be new, no mater if it will look like either of the last 2 Bolds.

#believeinfilm
    You on the call? Or is it your interpretation? I clearly heard they are restarting the Bold line. Add in the delay in BES migration until BES12 is out and desire for a keyboard from existing enterprise it is the 9900 as it currently is. Nothing new.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    03-28-14 11:20 AM
    Chen just did an an interview with CNBC and stated they are starting up the Playbook line once again. Apparently enterprise customers are requesting an end to end solution to go with the OS7 phones.

NOT!
    LOL

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:21 AM
    Your comparison is terrible.
    Unless Microsoft just issued a press release saying they will start selling selling surface rt tablets with dos instead of windows 8 rt.

A better analogy is, XP vs windows 8. Everyone loves XP and they kept it for as long as they could. Microsoft just stopped supporting it so now its windows 7 or 8. It may stay for now, but it will not progress the company and the blackberry software (phone) section will not survive if they stick with it.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    03-28-14 11:21 AM
    You on the call? Or is it your interpretation? I clearly heard they are restarting the Bold line. Add in the delay in BES migration until BES12 is out and desire for a keyboard from existing enterprise it is the 9900 as it currently is. Nothing new.

Posted via CB10
    Why not the 9790 then? That's also in the Bold line.

No, I'm not on a call but just making more 9900s doesn't make sense, some things have to be improved.

#believeinfilm
    gokulesh likes this.
    03-28-14 11:22 AM
    You on the call? Or is it your interpretation? I clearly heard they are restarting the Bold line.
    I heard they were simply doing a new manufacturing run of the old devices, under more favorable conditions which reduces their exposure for inventory

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende and jakie55 like this.
    03-28-14 11:27 AM

No, I'm not on a call but just making more 9900s doesn't make sense, some things have to be improved.

#believeinfilm
    If they are selling, why doesn't it make sense?

Chevy sells both a Volt and a Tahoe. One uses new technology, one uses old. I bet they still sell a lot of Tahoes....that haven't changed in years.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-28-14 11:30 AM
    The all new Belfastold 9999 with a 2.8 inch screen and 768mb of ram! Battery pulls are now back in style, we are giving exactly what you all did not want. Hooray!

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    03-28-14 11:30 AM

#believeinfilm
    On the call he clearly said they were restarting the Bold line(making another production run) with Listeron. He said due to contractual changes they will make money on hardware this time. This is similar to the analogy of Rolls Royce. They have a great reputation for luxury, durability and cache. They have declined in recent years and attempted to relaunch new models, including an SUV a few years ago. The consumers rebelled and they instead refined and launched evolutionary models.

Now things have stabilized and they are pushing ahead with the SUV. It really is all about timing and demand. Once you rehook the fish you do not throw them back.
    03-28-14 11:31 AM
    Whatever will make BlackBerry profitable, I'm all for.

Posted via CB10
    This is what we all believe I think! Thanks for saying it for me!
    03-28-14 11:33 AM
    On the call he clearly said they were restarting the Bold line(making another production run) with Listeron. He said due to contractual changes they will make money on hardware this time. This is similar to the analogy of Rolls Royce. They have a great reputation for luxury, durability and cache. They have declined in recent years and attempted to relaunch new models, including an SUV a few years ago. The consumers rebelled and they instead refined and launched evolutionary models.

Now things have stabilized and they are pushing ahead with the SUV. It really is all about timing and demand. Once you rehook the fish you do not throw them back.
    Refined evolutionary works for me, in fact I wouldn't want it different.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 11:34 AM
    The all new Belfastold 9999 with a 2.8 inch screen and 768mb of ram! Battery pulls are now back in style, we are giving exactly what you all did not want. Hooray!

You do realize that you are making fun of the vast majority of BB users and recent BB purchases.....right? There is no "style" involved here, only sales. If something still had a demand (the largest demand in your entire product line)...then supply it. Business 101. Especially when you need cash.
    JeepBB, mikeo007, Raddin and 3 others like this.
    03-28-14 11:36 AM
    I guess the value of my classic pre-2014 9900 has gone up. I am not sure that the new production run will use the same quality of components . I think that BD will be disappointed - yet again.
    03-28-14 11:38 AM
    You do realize that you are making fun of the vast majority of BB users and recent BB purchases.....right? There is no "style" involved here, only sales. If something still had a demand (the largest demand in your entire product line)...then supply it. Business 101. Especially when you need cash.
    I think you have to look at where os7 still sells. Do you know anyone that has bought one in the past year? I can't name one. I know many that have bought bb10. Bb7 is selling in emerging markets because ITS CHEAP. A new curve 9320 for 50 bucks. Bb10 phones can't compete at that price.

03-28-14 11:39 AM

#believeinfilm
    Because he clearly said they are focused on being keyboard centric and 9790 is all touch. Also, and I am guessing here, they would not have gotten a good deal if they were changing the internals. The other reason not to change the internals is it might require re certification with the carriers. And Chen was very specific he is NOT going to sacrifice margin for volume.

Besides by the time carriers certify the new/improved Bold, BES12 would be out and BES13 beta available.

All the evidence points to a new "variable" run of 9900; likely tapering off at the end of this year. And if I were to go out on a limb I would say by end of next year they will no longer produce any legacy device.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:40 AM
    I gave two examples of technology, not food.

Right. You mean like.........plug in cars? Those are selling like hotcakes and any car maker that goes back to the "old technology" of gas machines is just going backwards. Right?
    Paper isn't technology. The printer is. And you don't see any company going back to printers ten years ago just because a few people might like it.

And take a look at the percentage that tesla stock went up in a year. 234%. How's that for a "selling hotcakes"

Posted via 10.3 on Verizon
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    03-28-14 11:42 AM
917 ... 34567 ...