still no lock feature and i did a wipe
    02-10-10 05:27 PM
    QuickPull Free doesn't work for me either.
    QuickPull Pro also doesn't work. I have to manually confirm the restart in order for it to work (which makes it pretty useless if you want it to restart during your bedtime).
    02-10-10 05:58 PM
    o i dont know about the no password key lock since i have a pw set on mine. sorry
    02-10-10 06:21 PM
    I didn't bother installing it cause I already had the beta. Has anyone noticed any changes from the beta version? Think I'm getting used to using the standby key.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 08:16 PM
    been contemplating for a while now and wanted to ask you guys, im on 4.6 is the update worth it?
    02-10-10 09:49 PM
    been contemplating for a while now and wanted to ask you guys, im on 4.6 is the update worth it?
    I've been through almost every release of the OS since first getting the 8900 when T-Mobile released it. 5.x has a number of small UI enhancements that really make the device "feel" updated. I, for one, would not want to fall back to a 4.x version at all -- 5.x just feels that much better to me.

Among 5.x releases, 5.0.0.461 seems to me to be, by far, the best release to date. It seems to offer the best combination of functionality (no glitches at all that I've experienced), speed and usability, available memory, and best battery life.

I strongly believe it's worth the upgrade. Just be aware that there's often some effort involved, e.g., setting up any custom icon arrangements and folders again after install of the new OS, possibly having to re-enter software registration for any 3rd party apps that don't store that info on your memory card, etc. I've come to expect to spend some solid time after an OS install taking care of this "housekeeping" -- but if you're not prepared to do this, it could be an unpleasant surprise. No big deal, but you need to know that there is potentially a bit of work to do after the upgrade.

All in all - I highly recommend this latest available release.
    02-10-10 10:05 PM
    I've been through almost every release of the OS since first getting the 8900 when T-Mobile released it. 5.x has a number of small UI enhancements that really make the device "feel" updated. I, for one, would not want to fall back to a 4.x version at all -- 5.x just feels that much better to me.

Among 5.x releases, 5.0.0.461 seems to me to be, by far, the best release to date. It seems to offer the best combination of functionality (no glitches at all that I've experienced), speed and usability, available memory, and best battery life.

I strongly believe it's worth the upgrade. Just be aware that there's often some effort involved, e.g., setting up any custom icon arrangements and folders again after install of the new OS, possibly having to re-enter software registration for any 3rd party apps that don't store that info on your memory card, etc. I've come to expect to spend some solid time after an OS install taking care of this "housekeeping" -- but if you're not prepared to do this, it could be an unpleasant surprise. No big deal, but you need to know that there is potentially a bit of work to do after the upgrade.

All in all - I highly recommend this latest available release.
    i just got my 8900 yesterday so i have nothing on the phone but blackberry app world and the new bbm messenger those are the only apps i installed since then other than that its brand new so i guess im going to update it now
    02-10-10 10:08 PM
    i just got my 8900 yesterday so i have nothing on the phone but blackberry app world and the new bbm messenger those are the only apps i installed since then other than that its brand new so i guess im going to update it now
    That's great - certainly easiest when there are no apps installed -- faster upgrade process, and less to reconfigure back to your "customized" view of the phone.

Only other considerations I believe are:
    -- are you pretty familiar with, and/or comfortable with, the process of loading up new firmware/OS on the phone?

-- have you looked at some of the posts and/or sticky threads on OS updates, and gotten a sense of what to be aware of?

Once you've been through it, it will eventually come to be an easy and painless process. The first time or two, though, could potentially be a bit nerve wracking. Some folks run into an issue and may panic -- but in the end, it almost always turns out that people here can help walk you through getting everything working. It's really not that bad. Just suggesting that you allow for some phone downtime, read up a bit on the process, and do a self-assessment -- if you tend to panic when a process like this goes off kilter, then you'd be better having a tech-savvy friend help out. If you can stay relaxed, and look for advice / help here -- and allow for some phone downtime, you should be fine.

In the end, you'll find that experienced people do the whole process somewhere in the vicinity of an hour. As you're learning, you may spend more time, but all in all it shouldn't be bad.

Again -- as your phone has almost nothing installed, this is probably an ideal time for the update.
    02-10-10 10:16 PM
    yea Ive been reading for a couple a days even before i had the phone and read a few problems people encounter but if i encounter anything ill just ask here< my carrier is t mobile and im about to start the update now al i know is i have to delete the vendor file then load up the program seems simple enough hopefully doesn't get complicated
    02-10-10 10:20 PM
    yea Ive been reading for a couple a days even before i had the phone and read a few problems people encounter but if i encounter anything ill just ask here< my carrier is t mobile and im about to start the update now al i know is i have to delete the vendor file then load up the program seems simple enough hopefully doesn't get complicated
    Only other thing I would suggest is this:

If, after you delete the vendor file and start up AppLoader (I generally do it via Desktop Mgr), it reports that there are no updates for your device, this is probably because DM will check, online, to see if your device should be updated -- and if the device vendorID doesn't match officially available updates for your Blackberry it will tell you there's nothing to do.

To get around that, after deleting the vendor file and before firing up DM, I disable my local network connection (same as unplugging the network cable) until the process is started. This way DM looks on startup, but doesn't see a way to check your device against the official updates -- and then it moves on. Once it offers you an update to the OS version you installed on your PC and you get it started, you can reconnect your network / Internet connection while it continues.
    02-10-10 10:28 PM

If, after you delete the vendor file and start up AppLoader (I generally do it via Desktop Mgr), it reports that there are no updates for your device, this is probably because DM will check, online, to see if your device should be updated -- and if the device vendorID doesn't match officially available updates for your Blackberry it will tell you there's nothing to do.

To get around that, after deleting the vendor file and before firing up DM, I disable my local network connection (same as unplugging the network cable) until the process is started. This way DM looks on startup, but doesn't see a way to check your device against the official updates -- and then it moves on. Once it offers you an update to the OS version you installed on your PC and you get it started, you can reconnect your network / Internet connection while it continues.
    thanks if i run into that problem ill know what to do im going to update it on my laptop though im on my pc now im going to just shut off the network from the jump
    02-10-10 10:31 PM
    thanks if i run into that problem ill know what to do im going to update it on my laptop though im on my pc now im going to just shut off the network from the jump
    Sounds good. Good luck with this! I'll be on for a while (have to write a meeting agenda and send it out tonight for tomorrow morning meeting) and will, and others are on who can help as well (most likely!). You should be fine...
    02-10-10 10:33 PM
    i just installed it everything runs perfect only thing is that blackberry messenger is not there anymore neither is my blackberry email and it sasy my blackberry enterprise service is not connected
    02-10-10 11:10 PM
    i just installed it everything runs perfect only thing is that blackberry messenger is not there anymore neither is my blackberry email and it sasy my blackberry enterprise service is not connected
    Are you on a corporate blackberry, or personal?

If personal, then you wouldn't use the "enterprise service" (unless you contract with a 3rd party vendor for that), you would instead be using your carrier's BIS (Blackberry Internet Service).

Assuming you're using BIS via T-Mobile, I'd suggest opening Options, selecting Advanced Options, then Host Routing Table. One in there, press the menu button (to the left of the trackball) and select "Register Now" to make sure your device registers with the mobile network.

Then you may also want to go back to your "my.T-mobile.com" web page, log in, and go to your Internet email page for your phone and "send service books" again. This will make sure you've got all the services that T-mobile officially supports for your phone.

Re: messenger: I'd suggest installing the latest version of Blackberry App World from RIM's site, and then using it to search for and install the latest version of Blackberry Messenger (they're currently showing 5.0.0.57). That way you'll get automatic notification of updates as they become available, and can simply download and install them via App World.
    02-10-10 11:23 PM
    yea in host routing table one in there is bold i had to do this when i first got it so im going to try this if it works ill let you know
    02-10-10 11:26 PM
    ok i got bbm to work now the only problem is my blackberry email how do i get it the icon is gone and cant seem to get it
    02-10-10 11:39 PM
    ok i got bbm to work now the only problem is my blackberry email how do i get it the icon is gone and cant seem to get it
    Did you try going to the my.t-mobile.com website, logging in, going to the Internet Email page for your account and re-sending service books? That usually clears up issues like what you're describing.
    02-10-10 11:42 PM
    ive been trying to find it on my pc but i cant seem to find the internet email page for my account only through my phone i can go but it doesnt give me the option of resending the service books
    02-10-10 11:55 PM
    i fixed the problem thanks alot for the help the service book did work i was looking at the wrong thing thanks
    Last edited by mannynotaloka; 02-11-10 at 12:06 AM.
    02-10-10 11:58 PM
    i fixed the problem thanks alot for the help the service book did work i was looking at the wrong thing thanks
    Hey Manny -- I was about to send you the link:

https://my.t-mobile.com/connectshare...erstitial.aspx

Glad you found it. All working now? If so, great!

Enjoy!
    02-11-10 12:28 AM
    Help please! I am running OS .411, I have made several attempts to upgrade, but I was unsuccessful. I have deleted vendor.xml file, uninstalled previously installed OS, I use the latest DM, I restarted the computer several times. Every time I try to load the os, it says there are no update available and no action is required. What should I do to update the OS. Thank you.

You may not see the post numbers from your blackberry -- but I posted a suggestion to this in #35 above, as follows (this is what works for me):

02-11-10 12:31 AM
    I have updated all seams fine, but from the previous release the lock button doesn't work now unless a password is put on. little bit of a pain but something I can deal with for the moment until another release comes out from orange
    02-11-10 04:23 AM
    Doesn't work for me. I don't have a password set. This is by pressing the lock button on the upper left of the phone.

However, if I hold down the A* key, it goes into standby mode, and need to release the standby by pressing the key on the upper right. This basically does the same thing, right?
    Did you do a wipe and fresh install or upgrade over existing?

Standby mode is similar but not exactly the same as "lock". I prefer the quickness of the lock button as opposed to having to hold down the "mute" button to get into standby mode. Also, in lock mode you can still get a view of your screen if you want to. In standby you have to bring it out of standby to see the screen.
    02-11-10 07:55 AM
    still no lock feature and i did a wipe
    Bah. Well, that answers that. No upgrade for me.
    02-11-10 07:57 AM
    It seems my wifi doesn't auto connect when I'm in the hotspot? I have to manually scan again and select the saved profile. Anyone have the same problem?

02-11-10 08:14 AM
241 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD