Pro's

Battery life
    > The battery life lasts substantially longer. In the past listening to music, watching videos, and/or browsing the web would drain the battery relatively quickly. With this new update you can run multiple programs and the battery will barely be affected.

SMS
    > The keypad is much more accurate and there is barely any lagg if you are a fast typist.
    > Also, personally, i used to get very annoyed trying to pin point the cursor between letters if i had made a typing error. Not anymore! There is a new feature that allows you to easily scroll between each letter if you make a mistake, very nice and convenient.

Accelerated Browser
    > The browser takes much less time to load images and the quality is less choppy.
    > Also, the "enter/return" key now has a green glow that says "GO". I think it looks sleek and a lot less confusing for beginners.

Accelerator
    > Overall, the acceleration of the phone is much better and much more smoother when opening a program, saving, deleting, etc.

Con's

Landscape/Horizontal View
    > The adjustment time between landscape and horizontal is a bit slower.

Camera
    > The camera is STILL very inconsistent and slow with the flash and saving pictures. I really hope its fixed in the near future.

Not an official release
    > Obviously, as always, this is a leak. So be careful and back up your data before updating (if there is any issues with the update, the desktop manager will automatically create a restore file so you can recover any lost data as well).

Tip

After you have finished updating your phone, remove the battery and put it back in. This will actually complete the update. It works like a reset button.

All of the info stated is purely based on my own experience with the update, everyone's phone works differently depending on various reasons so feel free to try out the update, but don't get angry if it doesn't work out for you.

------------------------------------------
    Mitch H.

Storm
    v4.7.0.114
    Platform 4.0.0.143
    Crypto Kernel v3.8.5.51
    Last edited by meh31488; 03-15-09 at 03:20 AM.
    03-15-09 02:11 AM
    what platform are u on?
    03-15-09 02:15 AM
    what platform are u on?
    Platform 4.0.0.143
    03-15-09 02:21 AM
    When you said to do a battery pull after upgrade, I have to do it right away before I start setup wizard or after setup wizard.

Thanks in advance for your clarification
    03-15-09 03:15 AM
    When you said to do a battery pull after upgrade, I have to do it right away before I start setup wizard or after setup wizard.

Thanks in advance for your clarification
    After you finish updating with the desktop manager, securely disconnect your phone from your computer and then take out the battery without shutting the phone down. It acts like a reset.

I hope it works out for you!
    03-15-09 03:17 AM
    After you finish updating with the desktop manager, securely disconnect your phone from your computer and then take out the battery without shutting the phone down. It acts like a reset.

I hope it works out for you!

Thanks for your reply.

I just finish upgrade and do the battery pull right away after I unplug the cable. Then after reboot I get through set up wizard.
    03-15-09 04:07 AM
    The best OS so far for me has been the hybrid .113/.114 mixed... fixes all my issues... I dont experiance any slow Camera deals..works quick for me?
    03-15-09 05:38 AM
    Just an FYI...I noticed the green Go button on .109, and apparently it's been there since .106 or earlier. Nice feature though. Thanks for the report. I'm probably sticking with .109 as it seems to be just about right for my needs for now. And the reorg I had to do with my apps was a total blow when I updated. Took a long time to put things back where they were.
    03-15-09 06:54 AM
    Well, i'm running the .114 hybrid; and the biggest thing I notice is total lack of a memory leak (or if it's there, it's so minimal as to be unnoticable).... did a battery pull after install, sitting at 36.5MB free..... 12 hours later it'll still have 36.5MB free......
    03-15-09 07:49 AM
    While the summary is concise and highlights the features important to most users, it doesn't state the pros and cons relative to a specific release.

It would be useful to know what version you upgraded from to obtain these results. One can assume that it's .109 or earlier, but not much else.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 03-15-09 at 08:40 AM.
    03-15-09 08:26 AM
    I ran the hybrid last night and I have to say that this is currently the best of breed combination of components yet. I would actually say that my Storm is behaving as I expected it should have from day 1 with the expectation that another year worth of efforts from RIM would make it a killer tool. My last OS was a pure .99.

Obviously I am only a few hours into it but everything I use seems to be greatly improved.
    Of note:
    Garmin GPS now has almost instantaneous acquisition even inside my house. Always had to be open to a clear sky.
    Accelerometer is greatly improved.
    Camera is somewhat improved
    Loading media is improved
    Screen Scroll is faster -- actually, all paging and app access is faster.
    Screen lock still has a bit of a lag but unlock is "lightning quick"

As another poster commented, memory may be an issue. I am keeping an eye on that and mapping it. Last battery pull got me to 37 Mb with only the five core apps opened. Need more time to play.

For what it's worth, as far as the platform goes, I understand that it is to be 4.0.0.136, and not .143 -- for you to be on the Hybrid OS. This info came directly from the author.

Last edited by oldAGE; 03-15-09 at 09:06 AM.
    03-15-09 08:45 AM
    Ok, the 113/114 hybrid is by far the best OS for me. Everything works great! The only thing is I seem to have a HUGE memory leak. But the catch is, it doesn't slow the phone down at all! As soon as I installed the hybrid I noticed how quick everything was running so I checked my memory (expecting to see +40 mb) and it was only about 14 mb. So I did a battery pull and checked it again and it was only 27 mb (usually I start around 33-35 mb) and just a few minutes later I was down to 17 mb. It's even gotten down to as low as 3 mb. But again, everything is still running fast even at 3 mb. So this being said, I'm not too concerned about the memory leak since it's still running better than any previous OS (even at 3 mb lol). So I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this "problem" (if you want to call it that)?
    03-15-09 08:58 AM
    Ok, the 113/114 hybrid is by far the best OS for me. Everything works great! The only thing is I seem to have a HUGE memory leak. But the catch is, it doesn't slow the phone down at all! As soon as I installed the hybrid I noticed how quick everything was running so I checked my memory (expecting to see +40 mb) and it was only about 14 mb. So I did a battery pull and checked it again and it was only 27 mb (usually I start around 33-35 mb) and just a few minutes later I was down to 17 mb. It's even gotten down to as low as 3 mb. But again, everything is still running fast even at 3 mb. So this being said, I'm not too concerned about the memory leak since it's still running better than any previous OS (even at 3 mb lol). So I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this "problem" (if you want to call it that)?
    I have experienced that problem and I believe its due to the number of 3rd party apps installed. In my experience, if you have a large number of 3rd party apps - your total available app memory will be much lower than usual. Like you said - it may not affect performance, so don't worry about it.

For me - the .113/.114 hybrid is the best OS i've run yet and I've run them all.

I had a number of issues - laggyness, slow performance, memory leaks, etc after loading the hybrid. At the time I was running the iVista2 theme. I switched to a more basic theme - the ProfessionalGrunge theme and it was like getting a whole new phone. My battery lasts longer, no hangups, freezeups, lockups, lags or anything. This is the way the phone should have performed from the start!

I have to say - the battery life is blowing me away. I am running the 2600 extended battery and after a full day of use - phone/internet and even about an hour of VZnavigator, I woke up this morning and the battery was still at 80% - just for clarification, with the standard battery I was having to charge the phone every night and once during the day if I used VZnavigator.

I loved my storm before.....but now I really love my storm!
    03-15-09 09:09 AM
    Had used the 113/114 hybrid phone worked great, lag going from portrait to landscape, then decided to go with the hybrid from blackberryo's platform 4.0.0.136. been running for 24 hours, still at 38mb memory running weatherbug and several other 3rd party apps, no lag going from portrait to landscape, phone flys now..
    03-15-09 09:18 AM
    Running 114h and i have to say it has been the best OS on my storm.
    03-15-09 09:32 AM
    hi guys,
    can you point me to the link to the .114 hybrid?
    03-15-09 09:33 AM
    does anyone use the video recorder?, mine takes about 10 seconds from the time i press the track ball till it starts recording? is this normal?
    Edit/Delete Message
    I'm also running BlackberryOS platform and everything works real nice. Only thing I noticed was that when sending pictures taken with the camera in portrait mode that the orientation of the picture was wrong. Pictures taken in landscape mode are oriented the right way but not in portrait. Not sure if this was present in .109, pretty sure that it wasn't. Can any confirm or deny this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm also running BlackberryOS platform and everything works real nice. Only thing I noticed was that when sending pictures taken with the camera in portrait mode that the orientation of the picture was wrong. Pictures taken in landscape mode are oriented the right way but not in portrait. Not sure if this was present in .109, pretty sure that it wasn't. Can any confirm or deny this?

just took a picture in portrait mode and it was ok
    03-15-09 09:41 AM

I was running .99 and if I took a photo in portrait, it was delivered to my mailbox rotated 90 degrees. It seems to me that the camera always sent (sends) photos for a landscape orientation. Mind you, the photo was properly oriented on the phone. Must play a little more to see if I am just out of my mind.

Tested: To my email, anything taken in portrait position of the Storm is sent rotated 90 degrees to my email account. Anything taken in landscape position of the storm is delivered in a "proper" orientation.
    Last edited by oldAGE; 03-15-09 at 10:31 AM.
    03-15-09 09:43 AM
    hi guys,
    can you point me to the link to the .114 hybrid?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ne...-great-181926/
    03-15-09 09:49 AM
    Thanks for your reply.

I just finish upgrade and do the battery pull right away after I unplug the cable. Then after reboot I get through set up wizard.
    Yeah no problem.
    How is the update working out for you?
    03-15-09 10:02 AM
    does anyone use the video recorder?, mine takes about 10 seconds from the time i press the track ball till it starts recording? is this normal?
    Edit/Delete Message
    I just tried using it and i didn't have any problem.
    I'm not sure what the issue could be.
    Hopefully the next update will run smoother for you.
    03-15-09 10:07 AM
    SMS Text alert runs for 5 seconds before you can stop it.
    03-15-09 11:20 AM
    Pro's

Battery life
    > The battery life lasts substantially longer. In the past listening to music, watching videos, and/or browsing the web would drain the battery relatively quickly. With this new update you can run multiple programs and the battery will barely be affected.

SMS
    > The keypad is much more accurate and there is barely any lagg if you are a fast typist.
    > Also, personally, i used to get very annoyed trying to pin point the cursor between letters if i had made a typing error. Not anymore! There is a new feature that allows you to easily scroll between each letter if you make a mistake, very nice and convenient.

Accelerated Browser
    > The browser takes much less time to load images and the quality is less choppy.
    > Also, the "enter/return" key now has a green glow that says "GO". I think it looks sleek and a lot less confusing for beginners.

Accelerator
    > Overall, the acceleration of the phone is much better and much more smoother when opening a program, saving, deleting, etc.

Con's

Landscape/Horizontal View
    > The adjustment time between landscape and horizontal is a bit slower.

Camera
    > The camera is STILL very inconsistent and slow with the flash and saving pictures. I really hope its fixed in the near future.

Not an official release
    > Obviously, as always, this is a leak. So be careful and back up your data before updating (if there is any issues with the update, the desktop manager will automatically create a restore file so you can recover any lost data as well).

Tip

After you have finished updating your phone, remove the battery and put it back in. This will actually complete the update. It works like a reset button.

All of the info stated is purely based on my own experience with the update, everyone's phone works differently depending on various reasons so feel free to try out the update, but don't get angry if it doesn't work out for you.

------------------------------------------
    Mitch H.

Storm
    v4.7.0.114
    Platform 4.0.0.143
    Crypto Kernel v3.8.5.51
    I have to say this has been the most functional yet.

1. Accelerometer is more function when phone is not at a 90 degree angle to the "earth"
    2. Having the keypad incorporated into the load will make it easier for those less comfortable to load this.
    3. As and enterprise server user, the features have not skewed any functionality, as previous version had their qwerks.
    4. Phone screen responds faster to an incoming call and using the touch screen to answer.
    5. No freezing, lock ups or random reboots, although I use quick pull a few times a day as "normal maintainence" now.

Why does this remind me of the first days of the Moto v710, when we were on phone scoop finding ways to make our phone work? Are they (VZW and RIM), just going to leave us to tinker with our expensive toy and come out with a new model like Moto did with the e815? Make us antiquated hackers and not fix this because its name is flawed now and they can't recover?

There better be a hefty upgrade allowance for us if that happens... Who has the calss action suit goin?

Tune in next week...
    03-15-09 12:01 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD