Hello people,

Just thought I would post for people with Rogers 8900's. Successfully updated OS from official rogers 4.6.250 to 5.0.411. I downloaded the vodofone DE version and installed through Loader.exe

-the actual upgrade went very smooth, took about 25 min
    -have noticed phone is faster, also reboots faster
    -so far have not had any browser issues, both with native blackberry browser and bolt browser as stated on other forums and posts
    -did acquire some bugs tho
    -default wallpaper is white, have to change after every reboot
    -quickpull is not working at all, used to work with 4.6
    -having some issues with quicktext v1.1.2.89, when trying to use, goes back to home screen, have to click icon again and goes to person i'm trying to text, had no previous problems with 4.6
    -media icon not working on 3rd party theme (droid theme by ecruz)
    -biggest problem-memory leak, have noticed memory dropping quicker than with 4.6, not sure if app/theme related or OS related (input would be helpful if you have any)
    -no problems with other 3rd party apps (poynt, quicklauch, score, blackberry app world, yellow pages)

Anyways, thought I would post for any other rogers 8900 users contemplating the upgrade, I called rogers tech support to see if they were going to release an official rogers 5.0 OS, he wasnt sure they were going to release anything so I decided to give this one a whirl.

If anybody else would like to post any other findings on this OS, it would be much appreciated..thanks

Have a good night,

Titan
    01-07-10 09:15 PM
    There is a quickpull version for 5.0 which I can say works on my .411. The white wallpaper happens to pretty much everyone and I've gained muscle memory from each restart to press O to open options and reset to default and proceed to return to my wallpaper every time. As for the memory leak, I am sure it is due to your apps. I would recommend updating every single app on your phone to make sure it has no compatibility issues with OS 5. Good luck.
    01-07-10 09:19 PM
    thanks dx169,

gonna delete all my apps and reload 1 by 1, should have done that from the start....got a bit lazy, BCS game and all, noticed one more bug, when calling voicemail, doesnt show up in call log, not really major but just noticed it,

also, i know its part of the bbm 5.0 but sms showing up in messenger contacts if you have them linked to a contact is kinda annoying, just my 2 cents

thanks again,

titan
    01-07-10 09:26 PM
    ... The white wallpaper happens to pretty much everyone and I've gained muscle memory from each restart to press O to open options and reset to default and proceed to return to my wallpaper every time. ...
    Sure that this is not a Theme Problem? I had 0Problems and use standard Theme with a Picture. No Problem.
    01-07-10 09:44 PM
    Sure that this is not a Theme Problem? I had 0Problems and use standard Theme with a Picture. No Problem.
    I hear it is a very common issue. Might me a problem with custom themes only? Not entirely sure. My wallpaper itself doesn't turn white on my main screen, only on my Menu's WP.
    01-07-10 09:48 PM
    Hey everybody,

Thanks for the input, just had a long conversation with a colleague, has anyone else noticed the call quality when using UMA has decreased, the voice seems more jumbled, almost like they have marbles in their mouths,

I'm pretty sure I had better UMA call quality when using 4.6. Just an observation...

Looking forward to your input,

Titan
    01-07-10 09:59 PM
    Hey everybody,

Thanks for the input, just had a long conversation with a colleague, has anyone else noticed the call quality when using UMA has decreased, the voice seems more jumbled, almost like they have marbles in their mouths,

I'm pretty sure I had better UMA call quality when using 4.6. Just an observation...

Looking forward to your input,

Titan
    Agree 100% UMA is a bit choppy on this build. Was much better in 4.6.
    Other than that really.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 01:53 AM
    sounds like five-oh aint ready for prime time w/Rogers yet. i will wait for the next offish. thanks for the thread.
    01-08-10 10:47 AM
    Yeah, I just posted on another thread where I observed that most of the bugginess following my upgrade was fixed after I changed back to the stock Zen theme from a third-party theme that was supposedly OS5-compatible.
    01-08-10 11:05 AM
    As far as the wallpaper issue (white background)...I disagree that it happens with everyone. I've been using OS 5.0.0.411 for about a month (when it was first leaked) and have NEVER experienced that said issue! I've heard it has more to do with using 3rd Party themes but even then, I've used a fair share of themes and still NEVER had that issue...

I do agree that others definitely have experienced it tho using .411. When it was leaked that was one of the bigger concerns but I almost wanna say it's caused by using 3rd Party themes...

01-08-10 01:28 PM
    Hey, i have two problems with this im wondering if people could help.

Firstly, where has the voice recorded app gone?
    Secondly, Palringo doesnt work for me. I click on the app and it just freezes (without any loading signal) i cant navigate away or click anything else, i just have to hole the red button to switch it off. I uninstalled and rebooted then installed again and it still happened. Anyone had this problem? Any help?
    01-08-10 01:35 PM
    Also, everytime my phone reboots now i have an icon called "application loader" in the first spot, then when i click on it it disapeers. only had this since i updated the os...everyone else get this? If not, how can i get rid of it?
    01-08-10 02:01 PM
    THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME ON UPDATING US! HAD TO RETHINK THIS ONE....STILL....haven't updated my curve 8900 to the newer OS.

Hello people,

Just thought I would post for people with Rogers 8900's. Successfully updated OS from official rogers 4.6.250 to 5.0.411. I downloaded the vodofone DE version and installed through Loader.exe

-the actual upgrade went very smooth, took about 25 min
    -have noticed phone is faster, also reboots faster
    -so far have not had any browser issues, both with native blackberry browser and bolt browser as stated on other forums and posts
    -did acquire some bugs tho
    -default wallpaper is white, have to change after every reboot
    -quickpull is not working at all, used to work with 4.6
    -having some issues with quicktext v1.1.2.89, when trying to use, goes back to home screen, have to click icon again and goes to person i'm trying to text, had no previous problems with 4.6
    -media icon not working on 3rd party theme (droid theme by ecruz)
    -biggest problem-memory leak, have noticed memory dropping quicker than with 4.6, not sure if app/theme related or OS related (input would be helpful if you have any)
    -no problems with other 3rd party apps (poynt, quicklauch, score, blackberry app world, yellow pages)

Anyways, thought I would post for any other rogers 8900 users contemplating the upgrade, I called rogers tech support to see if they were going to release an official rogers 5.0 OS, he wasnt sure they were going to release anything so I decided to give this one a whirl.

If anybody else would like to post any other findings on this OS, it would be much appreciated..thanks

Have a good night,

Titan
    01-08-10 02:24 PM
    i have been testing the 5.0.411 release for about 1 month now, every thing is working much better than the other 5.0.* releases but i had found two issues, one is that if i put the network in 2g/3g i can’t be on a phone call more than 2 minutes it always say call error, but if i use 2g only (EDGE) the call a never lost call, so my guess i that when is on 3G the phone try to download mails from my server (imap not push) and if the signal is poor then instead of not finish the mail connection it finish the call.
    And the other problem is that when im on a call if i try to use the blackberry internet browser through wi-fi the phone restart.
    I just post this comment so the next release can fix this.
    Sorry for my english im from argentina (spanish). Ahh my phone company is claro from argentina
    01-11-10 11:40 AM
    been using the .411 leak ever since it came out. Some areas of the build run very smooth, while some needs more work. on top of everything, i've also noticed when the browser is loading more intense pages, it lags the entire phone like crazy. Never had that problem on .314 actually. I have also found it more prone to bring up the clock randomly also, but i dont know the cause.
    01-12-10 12:00 AM
    Has anybody's Media icon disapeared when downloading 5.0.0.411? So far 5.0.411 is working great for me, few bugs here and there, nothing really major or to talk about, except my media icon is no longer there! If anybody knows how to fix, please get back! Thank you
    01-14-10 11:27 PM
    hey,

the same thing happened to me with the media icon when i upgraded, the folder was gone but all it did was separate it into different folders on the homescreen, i just created a new folder, named it media and moved each icon (ie.pictures, music etc.) into the folder,\

Good luck,

titan
    01-15-10 10:16 AM
    There is a simple solution to fix the white wallpaper problem.

I usually go into the current theme settings and switch it from Zen to Today, then Save it. Then I switch it back and it usually fixes it.

01-17-10 01:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD