Hey I have been reading this post through and through and I'm having the same issue. As I try to update, it tells me "no software update is required at this time. i currently have 5.0.0.509, and it shows the 5.0.0.681 update i have downloaded and installed when I run the app loader to update, it gives me a list of choices to upgrade and defaults at 4.6.0.304 as recommended and other 4.6's as downgrade. I dont ever recall downloading these at any time whatsoever , but it just wont allow me to update. I have already erased teh vendor.xml you described in the first post. Im not a newbie when it come sto phones or anything, as I have dealt with htc phones, iphones and even android phones and have modded each and everyone of them.....i just never really got into the blackberry cause I never had a bb, but I got a killer deal from someone here in NYC wher I was able to acquire a bb bold 9000 for $40 and so i am here messing with it and all sorts of stuff....hop i dont get flamed for this.............lol

how do i go about erasing the older ones? should I downgrade and then attempt this upgrade? where exactly am I suppse to "install" the update after downloading it? or will it just do automatically?
    Make sure you delete any other OS on your PC and then dis-connect from the Internet as this is where the you are getting other options to upgrade/downgrade.
    05-25-10 10:00 AM
    JasW ok i dont wanna bug you or sound like a dumb *** but when i go to program files>common files>research in motion>app loader> after that i get a blank box i dont see any files there
    App Loader comes with Desktop Manager, so you should be able to see it in that folder. If not, try downloading the latest version and installing it: Desktop Manager (select Desktop Software v5.0 Service Pack 1).

Reinstall the OS after you install DM -- you should see both loader.exe and vendor.xml in the folder.
    05-25-10 12:56 PM
    everytime I try to installed in my BB it says "No actions are required" what should I do?
    Hey I have been reading this post through and through and I'm having the same issue. As I try to update, it tells me "no software update is required at this time. i currently have 5.0.0.509, and it shows the 5.0.0.681 update i have downloaded and installed when I run the app loader to update, it gives me a list of choices to upgrade and defaults at 4.6.0.304 as recommended and other 4.6's as downgrade. I dont ever recall downloading these at any time whatsoever , but it just wont allow me to update. I have already erased teh vendor.xml you described in the first post. Im not a newbie when it come sto phones or anything, as I have dealt with htc phones, iphones and even android phones and have modded each and everyone of them.....i just never really got into the blackberry cause I never had a bb, but I got a killer deal from someone here in NYC wher I was able to acquire a bb bold 9000 for $40 and so i am here messing with it and all sorts of stuff....hop i dont get flamed for this.............lol

how do i go about erasing the older ones? should I downgrade and then attempt this upgrade? where exactly am I suppse to "install" the update after downloading it? or will it just do automatically?
    Before you install the new OS on your PC, go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, select BlackBerry Device Software v.x.xx for the BlackBerry Smartphone, and click on Remove. Then install the new OS.

That should work. If you are still having problems, you may need a clean install of both DM and the new OS; so in that case:

1. Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, select BlackBerry Device Software v.x.xx for the BlackBerry Smartphone, and click on Remove.

2. Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, select BlackBerry Desktop Software x.xx and click on Remove.

3. Delete everything in the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared Files
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Removed Files (< may not be there)

4. Remove all temporary files on your PC by going to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean Up. Check only the box for Temporary Files and click OK. When that's done, reboot your PC.

5. Install DM: Desktop Manager (select Desktop Software v5.0 Service Pack 1).

6. Install the new OS.

Then go back and follow the rest of the instructions in the first post regarding running App Loader.

I've never had to disconnect from the Internet to do an upgrade as andyahs mentioned, but I suppose anything's possible . . . .
    05-25-10 01:22 PM
    As stated before, deleting previous OS's seem to help the loader detect the specific OS you're trying to install.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 01:28 PM
    Get another mirror up
    05-25-10 01:48 PM
    Got mine installed by using the instructions on page 1. Was up and running in 30 minutes. I updated from 4.6. Love it!
    05-25-10 03:48 PM
    I just upgraded from OS 4.6.0.304 after reading all of the positive comments, and I have to say that I am impressed with the overall battery performance and memory management, as well as the speed improvement of the internet over WiFi. This is like having a brand new device again. I should point out that I had absolutely no problems loading the new OS - it went very smoothly.
    05-25-10 04:02 PM
    I don't know if this is a bug in this version, or if anyone else has encountered it..but basically what happens is that my BB will sometimes get stuck on a screen, without being stuck on a screen.

ie. I have my call log open. Hit end, go to BBM, and click on a current chat. Instead of opening up my current chat with that person, it goes to the call log. Sometimes I can get around it by doing BB button -> Close. Most of the times though I have to do a battery pull.

Anyone else run into this problem? It seems to have popped up just after I installed this version.
    05-25-10 05:30 PM
    Just installed and now i only get edge connection. Has anyone else had this problem on Rogers?
    05-25-10 10:56 PM
    Thanks guys, yesterday the problem was that I have to delete in the control panel any old OS and also in my received files as well in my recycling can. I did it and in 30 minutes it was done, love the upgrades, I was with the manufacturer OS, so really big change and specially the battery life amazing!!!!love it =)

05-26-10 05:00 AM
    Finally found some time to upgrade. 36 hours on .681 - coming from the leaked .592 - and I am quite impressed. Obviously it's too soon to confirm much but I am certainly impressed with the memory management...I've been over 40mb since my last reboot 26 hours ago.

Everything else seems the same. Excellent. Certainly worthy of being an official release and probably worth upgrading from .592 if you're on the fence.
    05-26-10 10:07 AM
    I don't know if this is a bug in this version, or if anyone else has encountered it..but basically what happens is that my BB will sometimes get stuck on a screen, without being stuck on a screen.

ie. I have my call log open. Hit end, go to BBM, and click on a current chat. Instead of opening up my current chat with that person, it goes to the call log. Sometimes I can get around it by doing BB button -> Close. Most of the times though I have to do a battery pull.

Anyone else run into this problem? It seems to have popped up just after I installed this version.
    I just had a similar problem... I wanted to open a chat in BBM but nothing happened, like I couldn't enter the chat, I tried it with different contacts and nothing. Did a battery pull and all the chats I've tried to open were now open.

I closed them and left open the chat with my wife but everything I wrote something it appeared as a new chat in the Messages screen, I got tons of duplicates. Tried to close the chat but didn't work.

I ended up deleting everything I had in the Message screen. "Delete Prior". That worked. Now everything seems to work with no problem.

Battery life has been inconsistent. Today I unplugged my bold at 10 and by 11:15 I'm on 85% and I just checked twitter one time and have been chatting (not heavy use though) on BBM, no phone calls yet.

Yesterday I used it the same way and by midnight I still had like 40%

Yet, I can't complain, is my first 5.0 and I love it
    05-26-10 10:20 AM
    Memory is much better. Haven't been below 22mb since .681. Running 9 apps. I was texting emailing and listening to music at the same time and then started facebook and it did fine no problems. I'm still undecided on the battery life.

05-26-10 10:47 AM
    Corrected a couple of major faults on my bold running OS4 by upgrading to OS5, but first to OS5 versions suffered major memory leaks and very poor battery life. After running 681 for few days I can say memory leaks have stopped and battery life is much improved, so I am really pleased with this build. I have lots of apps which all run great except quickpull which doesn't work at all, but not major loss. I don't however use messenger, so I can't say if this has any issues although this version does not give me the option to exlude it as an unwanted addon
    OS681 really good think I will be sticking with this until I trade up to 9800

05-26-10 01:29 PM
    Corrected a couple of major faults on my bold running OS4 by upgrading to OS5, but first to OS5 versions suffered major memory leaks and very poor battery life. After running 681 for few days I can say memory leaks have stopped and battery life is much improved, so I am really pleased with this build. I have lots of apps which all run great except quickpull which doesn't work at all, but not major loss. I don't however use messenger, so I can't say if this has any issues although this version does not give me the option to exlude it as an unwanted addon
    OS681 really good think I will be sticking with this until I trade up to 9800

There is a new version of QuickPull (version 4.02) that does work on this OS:
    QuickPull Pro - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

or you probably need to get the updated version from your account (depending on where you got it from).
    05-26-10 01:41 PM
    Everything is working great, started off with more memory than usual. So far, so good. Seems a little zippier, but that's probably just me.
    05-26-10 09:24 PM
    ok im new to 5.0 i notice a few wonderfull changes and a few that makes me mad.

1. SMS txt are now like BBM style can i change it to be not like BBM style and back to the good old 4.0 way

2. i know this one change be done but i dont like how i cant have 1 ring tone type for holster and a differnt one for out of holster. i like that setting so if im at work and i leave it on my desk it wont play all my loude long tones that i use when its in the holster.

but is there a way i can fix item 1?
    05-27-10 12:53 AM
    The 5.0 sms is threaded, many people like this because it incorporates all your messages from the same user into one. It's more organized imo.
    To get the old style sms, you would have to downgrade back to 4.6

05-27-10 02:00 AM
    I still find it hilarious that people think there is any difference between a "leaked" OS and an "official" one.

Official just means that the very same leaked os was tested and passed certification and became official.

If a leaked OS has any problems and RIM becomes aware of it, they fix it and the OS has effectively changed. Believe me, most problems are caught by RIM before any are ever leaked.

I've used 4 leaked OS'es now and they are identical to the official ones released months after. But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess.

As for this update, just dl'ing it right now and will post what I have experienced with it when it's up and running.
    05-27-10 08:38 AM
    Installed .681 over .610 and found out that after a battery pull, battery drops between 15% to 25%. Does anyone having this issue?
    05-27-10 08:45 AM
    Installed .681 over .610 and found out that after a battery pull, battery drops between 15% to 25%. Does anyone having this issue?
    I've noticed this somewhat since using OS 5.0, that the battery seems to lose about 5-10% of it's power after a battery pull. Like one time I pulled at 85% battery life and when it turned back on I was down to 75% etc...
    05-27-10 08:58 AM
    Alright, so what i've found is, the "lock" icon is back but now functions as the keyboard lock with "mute" unlock that you can do just by holding down the "A" or "#" key.

My memory has gone up nearly 5 mb with all apps remaining the same. Only time will tell if it will slowly decrease. Boot up is slower than normal after battery pulls though.

However, browser seems "snappier" than normal. Also, pictures are super fast to view as well. Another miniscule thing I've noticed, the font on homescreen is a bigger size. Meaning the carriers name is larger than it was before.

So far, I'm really pleased with this build.
    05-27-10 09:19 AM
    Love this OS better than any of the prev. Just upgrade it yesterday. Memory is awesome, never have 30+MB before, battery life is better too, more than 12h on with wifi and still have 60%. One wierd thing is that today can't send some sms, and when I download an app upgrade and required battery pull, the battery just drop from 60 to 20%. Don;t know why...
    05-27-10 11:06 AM
    For those of you who need miror for downloading:

Hotfile.com: 9000EastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1137_PL5.2.0.64_A5.0.0.68 1_Optus_Mobile_Pty_Limited.exe

Enjoy the faster download time...
    05-27-10 11:28 AM
    I have even seen a drop from 40% to 10% after a battery pull. Except for this, everything else seems to be good with this build. Not to pleased with overall battery life... but it could just be some apps that I'm running.
    05-27-10 09:35 PM
341 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD