I just upgraded my BB-9700 to V5.0.0.351 and I noticed the issue with SMS Display (my other thread).

My carrier is Rogers. Would this new OS work with Rogers network? Did any Rogers subscriber here try this new OS?
    03-17-10 08:49 PM
    I just upgraded my BB-9700 to V5.0.0.351 and I noticed the issue with SMS Display (my other thread).

My carrier is Rogers. Would this new OS work with Rogers network? Did any Rogers subscriber here try this new OS?
    Any carrier's OS will work for the device it's intended to run. Just follow the instructions on the first post.
    03-17-10 09:07 PM
    hi guys, wonder if you could help.

Previous firmware install was a breeze.. This time not so good.

I have downloaded and installed the .545 on my computer but it doesnt seem like the BB software is realising its installed, so i havent got the option to update.

Any ideas guys ?
    03-17-10 09:09 PM
    No difference. Don't waste your time. RIM releases OSs. If they make any changes, they give an OS a new code name. .545 leaked is the same thing as .545 Vodafone. If it weren't, it would have a different code name and wouldn't be called .545.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Actually, while the common .COD files are the same, the .SFI files are significantly different! It is not the same OS. See below:

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Load
    er Files\9700M_v5.0.0.545_P5.1.0.140\UMTS

03/12/2010 11:49 AM 16,078,496 rim0x04001507.sfi
    1 File(s) 16,078,496 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Load
    er Files\9700AllLang_v5.0.0.545_P5.1.0.140-leaked\UMTS

03/02/2010 11:17 AM 20,600,480 rim0x04001507.sfi
    03-17-10 09:19 PM
    I am in currently in the process of installing the the OS 5.0.0.545 on my 9700, however it's restoring the Database: BBGroups for over 45 minutes now!!!! Is something wrong....i never re-install an OS and it takes so long!!!!! Someone please advise...and i don't wanna pug out the device and mess it up....

Help!!!
    03-17-10 09:25 PM
    I'll try to let my device sleep for a while to recreate this. Using the same device, carrier, and OS as you, the only other thing I can think of is some app or setting that is on your phone. I'll let you know the results.
    doob: I waited a full 24 hours to try every length of time conceivable (5 minutes, half an hour, two hours, eight hours, etc). My .545 T-Mobile 9700 phone sleeps and wakes instantly whenever I tell it to, and automatically when putting it in and out of the holster. This would seem to indicate the problem is something about your phone :/ Sorry.
    03-17-10 09:33 PM
    I am in currently in the process of installing the the OS 5.0.0.545 on my 9700, however it's restoring the Database: BBGroups for over 45 minutes now!!!! Is something wrong....i never re-install an OS and it takes so long!!!!! Someone please advise...and i don't wanna pug out the device and mess it up....

Help!!!
    Restoring BBGroups can take a very, very long time. Be patient. I wouldn't panic just yet. If it's still going after an hour, you can try pulling the plug. Just keep in mind you may have to manually restore some apps / settings /etc then.
    03-17-10 09:36 PM
    hi guys, wonder if you could help.

Previous firmware install was a breeze.. This time not so good.

I have downloaded and installed the .545 on my computer but it doesnt seem like the BB software is realising its installed, so i havent got the option to update.

Any ideas guys ?
    Most likely a hidden vendor.xml file. Search your system. Also, disable your internet connection.

Help!!!
    BB Groups can be a PITA. Close the install, go to DM backup/restore, select advanced, open the last backup on the left, the autobackup is fine. Use control, and choose all but the messenger backups, and hit the > button. It will load everything else, and you can restore BBM from remote back up, as long as it was enabled. Otherwise choose all the files but groups, and have a member reinvite you. I don't even load BBM anymore, and install after the OS then remotely restore it. Works much smoother.

The OS is the same, and if you looked in the radio file, I think you'd find a lot more languages there too. It has the service books contained within.

03-17-10 09:38 PM
    The OS is the same, and if you looked in the radio file, I think you'd find a lot more languages there too. It has the service books contained within.
    It is true, when .COD files are concerned, that the leaked version has more languages than the released Vodafone version. However the radio/kernel/JVM are signification different between both.

Are you saying that the 4 Mb size difference (see my previous post) between the leaked version of rim0x04001507.sfi and the released one are only related to language differences?
    03-17-10 09:46 PM
    I know people are saying that the size difference between this and the leak version is the languages, but I tried the leak and had pretty bad memory mgmt. I installed this version this afternoon and my memory availability is MUCH better... Who knows. Still not 100% sure about the battery life, though.
    03-17-10 09:56 PM
    Just one other point of curiosity... Does anyone have MeterBerry installed while using 5.0.0.545? If so, can you post a screenshot of your battery usage?

THANKS.
    03-17-10 10:02 PM
    Two day without rebooting, and about 4 hours straight of constant hard use on the leak version.
    I'd say that's pretty darn good, and after it rests overnight, the RAM will rise to about 85MB again, or near 30%.

03-17-10 10:06 PM
    Most likely a hidden vendor.xml file. Search your system. Also, disable your internet connection.

BB Groups can be a PITA. Close the install, go to DM backup/restore, select advanced, open the last backup on the left, the autobackup is fine. Use control, and choose all but the messenger backups, and hit the > button. It will load everything else, and you can restore BBM from remote back up, as long as it was enabled. Otherwise choose all the files but groups, and have a member reinvite you. I don't even load BBM anymore, and install after the OS then remotely restore it. Works much smoother.

I'm gonna try that...thanks a mill!!!
    03-17-10 10:11 PM
    @ BigBadWulf - I'm not sure I know how to read your chart. I just know that this looks wacky...

That's right after a reboot. With use, and shortly after the reboot, the percentage drops, and it "evens out," I guess. I had 95% battery life 5 hours ago and with moderate use (some calls, emails, BBM, texts, web stuff), I'm down to 53%. 40-some-odd percent in 5 hours... That's okay? But WTH is MeterBerry doing?

FYI - have done a couple pulls to see if things "settle." Thoughts?
    03-17-10 10:15 PM
    Doesn't look too accurate to me. My chart is from Fixmo, and breaks memory out to RAM and ROM, so you can truly see what's going on with your system. I noticed App World when first installed was playing havoc on my RAM. After a few rests and time, it calmed down.

03-17-10 10:22 PM
    So far everything's fine after installation of the leaked one (needed the other languages), still trying to get used to the lock and mute/standby keys.... The volume keys are laggy for me during a call too.
    Last edited by evanism; 03-17-10 at 10:35 PM. Reason: edit
    03-17-10 10:30 PM
    Snooze does not function correctly Missed an appointment today
    03-17-10 11:00 PM
    ok, well after a few more battery pulls, this OS is running like a well-oiled machine for me.... i really like the new Options under Themes, where you can go right into it to select wallpaper, icon layout, etc.... something minor, but i liked it.... my battery performance hasnt decreased much, if at all (upgraded from ATT official .405)... my signal strength HAS improved though - in my bedroom i would usually only have 2-3 bars, now im consistently at 3-4 bars.....
    03-17-10 11:18 PM
    Yes the options are good, I like the top noch security on the passwords I see a lot of folks talking about bugs lol this is the new security features and its very nice I got 2 locks on my screen and the a key still locks the phn its now the keyboard lock. Again set ur time out to 0 to get the passlock to lock in fast. Not bad at all.

03-17-10 11:47 PM
    Ok. I don't get it.
    I've done many install on my phone (beta and official)
    I installed the os.
    Rebooted the machine just in case.
    I tried to install the os using either the desktop manager or apploader with and without the vendor.xml but none of them is recognizing the new os and there is nothing i can do.
    I never had that issue before.

Any ideas?

I have a 9700 from tmo USA with 5.0.0.536 installed.
    I am running windows 7 from bootcamp on a mac (and i've done previous installs like that)
    thanks for your help
    03-18-10 12:14 AM
    Ok. I don't get it.
    I installed the os.
    I tried to install the os using either the desktop manager or apploader with and without the vendor.xml but none of them is recognizing the new os and there is nothing i can do.

Any ideas?

I am running windows 7 from bootcamp on a mac (and i've done previous installs like that)
    thanks for your help
    Have you tried removing the current OS your using off the control panel? Sometimes that can trigger the OS upgrade.
    03-18-10 12:17 AM
    Ok. I don't get it.
    I installed the os.

Any ideas?

thanks for your help
    Ok.
    Never mind. For those that could have the same issue.
    Somehow i installed the os on my win**** 7 machine as administrator.
    Just to tried it out, i ran the apploader as administrator (after removing the vendor.xml) and, ohhhhhh, it's working.

Sorry about the spam
    03-18-10 12:18 AM
    Have you tried removing the current OS your using off the control panel? Sometimes that can trigger the OS upgrade.
    Yeah i always do.
    I just posted the solution. I somehow installed the os as administrator.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.
    03-18-10 12:21 AM
    the lock feature is super annoying.

Also now quick compose shows your message log in the background when you start it up. Doesn't really make any sense or difference.

Agenda view takes ages to load.

I might need a few more batt pulls.
    03-18-10 01:06 AM
    for those having a problem restoring BBgroup, don't worry...
    it'll restore... it took me 5 hours! but it finally restored...
    i installed the official version, but i added the east asian language...
    n now my phone has a really poor batt life.. (i used .442 before, it still lasted longer)
    is it becoz of the east asian language i installed?
    pls help... this is a major issue... half day, and battery's out
    thx
    03-18-10 01:20 AM
817 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD