Every place I go to download it says the file is no longer there.
    This one still works:

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 9800M_PBr6.0.0_rel555_PL6.4.0.99_A6.0.0.214.exe
    09-09-10 04:21 PM
    This might be a totally crazy question but are you sure you installed .214 and not .161? The notification bar lag is a bug with .161 that is fixed in .214
    Ah thanks, that's it. I posted in the completely wrong thread for some reason haha. Now I may have to go over to .214
    09-09-10 04:51 PM
    Ah thanks, that's it. I posted in the completely wrong thread for some reason haha. Now I may have to go over to .214
    You really should. There are several bugs in .161 that .214 fixes - and .214 is faster overall. Big improvement with only a few minor bugs. You can read this thread to hear that from others besides just me.

Maybe more specifically this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/upg...-214-a-525538/
    09-09-10 04:54 PM
    Just backed up my Torch and began the install, it's at the "connecting to device" stage"

This is my first blackberry, after coming from an iPhone. I am in love with it really, so much more to do on this and the interface is a nice change.
    09-09-10 05:18 PM
    Just updated, seems like it's a good bit more responsive and the scrolling is definitely more fluid as mentioned before in the thread. Update went well & restored almost all my settings 100%.

Just a quick question - as a new BB owner (prev. an iPhone owner), does the BB Desktop Software keep all of your installed apps up to date like iTunes does? Or do you have to check each app individually.
    09-09-10 05:41 PM
    Wow, installed .214 and EVERYTHING is snappier, including the browser.... good stuff
    09-09-10 05:54 PM
    Love the update, phone is much quicker and no lag now. I did notice one thing different, I use to be able to send pics from the media app, now I have to be in either text/mms or email.

Has anyone tried to send pics using sms/mms? I was able to send a pic (the person said they got it) but the device sms/mms application shows a red X as if it wasn't sent. Anyone experienced this? Tried several times yesterday and got the same result. But the person said they got the pic each time.
    09-09-10 06:28 PM
    i looked and looked and still don't know how to upgrade the .214 into my torch using the 6.0. Everything I see is for the old OS. Can someone help me? I have .214 on my PC now, but have no idea how to get it onto my phone.

Thanks
    09-09-10 06:47 PM
    i looked and looked and still don't know how to upgrade the .214 into my torch using the 6.0. Everything I see is for the old OS. Can someone help me? I have .214 on my PC now, but have no idea how to get it onto my phone.

Thanks
    Uninstall any OLD BlackBerry OS versions from your computer if you have them.

Install .214 to your computer.

Plug in your phone and use Desktop Manager 6.0 (DM) to make a backup of your device.

Close DM and go to:

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

From there delete vendor.xml then run loader.exe

Follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items that have or do not have check marks next to them so you install what you want and don't install what you don't want.

When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Do not change it.

Wait about 15-20 minutes for the process to complete and your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting. You will probably get an EntryPoint error at the end - do not worry.

Enjoy and let us know how it went. Always remember it takes several battery pulls while you're getting your phone running again before the OS becomes stable. If it seems slow at first just give it some time to do it's thing and when it seems to have caught up, do another battery pull.

Good luck!
    Last edited by jeffreii; 09-12-10 at 02:16 PM.
    09-09-10 07:11 PM
    Just a heads up. If you still use DM5 and use blackberry master control program to shrink/install be sure to change the java loader option to 5.0.0 Beta5 or you will get a 507 error (6.0.0 is selected by default)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-10 07:18 PM
    SMOKIN'!!!! So far I am very happy with .214 It's only been an hour and its like I'm livin' with a new phone....
    09-09-10 08:18 PM
    Love the update, phone is much quicker and no lag now. I did notice one thing different, I use to be able to send pics from the media app, now I have to be in either text/mms or email.

Has anyone tried to send pics using sms/mms? I was able to send a pic (the person said they got it) but the device sms/mms application shows a red X as if it wasn't sent. Anyone experienced this? Tried several times yesterday and got the same result. But the person said they got the pic each time.
    Also notice web browser isn't rendering web pages correctly like Boy Genius Report and mediatakeout.com. Anyone notice this or know of a fix?
    09-09-10 08:32 PM
    Also notice web browser isn't rendering web pages correctly like Boy Genius Report and mediatakeout.com. Anyone notice this or know of a fix?
    It looks to me like the BGR site is giving me the iPhone version - judging by the style of the on/off button at the button for the mobile site.
    09-09-10 08:42 PM
    wHen I plugged my phone backup to dm6 there was still a component that needed to be installed. So I'm no longer having browser problem but sending pictures is still a problem.

09-09-10 09:08 PM
    Big thanks to jeffreii! I sucessfully upgraded tonight! I expect good things!!
    C
    09-09-10 11:03 PM
    Big thanks to jeffreii! I sucessfully upgraded tonight! I expect good things!!
    C
    I must be lost, because upgrading is just not working for me!
    09-09-10 11:07 PM
    wHen I plugged my phone backup to dm6 there was still a component that needed to be installed. So I'm no longer having browser problem but sending pictures is still a problem.
    I just sent a text to my girlfriend's iPhone 3GS with a picture attached - it sent fine - check mark next to it - and arrived on her phone about 5 seconds after it finished sending. Perhaps network issues are causing this for you?
    09-09-10 11:08 PM
    I must be lost, because upgrading is just not working for me!
    Can you give some detail as to what exactly is going wrong for you? Did you read my response to your last post which gave clear (I hope) step-by-step instructions? Did you start from the beginning - uninstall any OS on your computer and try again?
    09-09-10 11:10 PM
    Can you give some detail as to what exactly is going wrong for you? Did you read my response to your last post which gave clear (I hope) step-by-step instructions? Did you start from the beginning - uninstall any OS on your computer and try again?
    well i downloaded the .214 app & opened the link, plugged in my phone, made a back up, then forgot what happened but I clicked something and then it took over an an hour almost 2 hours of over 500 "modules" were being downloaded to my phone then it rebooted, and all of that and i thought phone was being "upgraded" to .214 but after phone was completed, I checked info and it still says .141

dont know what to uninstall, all i have is the DM that i downloaded from disc that came w/ torch.
    09-09-10 11:18 PM
    .214 installed fine on my and my girlfriends Torch, even kept my favorites after I backed it up which surprised me. I though 161 was good... heh. They should make this update official!
    09-09-10 11:52 PM
    I used the BB DM to do my upgrade.

I'm on Vista 64 bit. I upgraded my desktop software to the newest version and downloaded the 214. Used DM to load and installed without a hitch. Whole process took about 15 to 20 minutes. I did about 4 battery pulls spaced about 10 minutes apart as everything settled in.

I'd like to add that my device was the stock AT&T OS version with no apps installed. I only had the CNN shortcut and the Weather Channel shortcuts installed. All 4 of my email accounts remained intact and the device automatically registered with the network.

The 9800 feels like a whole new device with the .214 installed. Way faster, improved browser response, instantly displays the 150 some odd pics I have on it, faster scrolling, trackpad response on my 9800 is VASTLY improved. Maybe it's just me but the speaker volume seems louder too. Can't say on the call quality (too late here to call anybody) but the "tinny" call sound is supposed to be a thing of the past with the upgrade. Text, text with pics, and email, all send and receive OK. This IS the way the phone should have been right from the start from AT&T.

As usual any upgrade to an "unofficial" release is done at your own risk. However mine went great
    09-10-10 12:14 AM
    What if I just wait until it is officially launced. Anyone have any ideas on the time frame?

Thanks!
    09-10-10 12:54 AM
    I also have the 'delete prior' option, although not when I click the trackpad. I have to click the BB button, but it's there.
    Not having had a chance to explore & play around with my phone after upgrading, I never noticed this. Good catch! I'll just retrain myself to do it this way as far as bulk deletes.

JJ

09-10-10 01:58 AM
    It may be because I am an IT Technician, but I had absolutely no issues installing .214 OS on my new 9800, and boy am I ever glad I did. I went right from .141 and the difference is knight and day. I liked this phone before... I love it now. I don't have any attachments in my email to try to duplicate the close to home screen bug but as of yet I am unable to recreate the browser bug either. Confirmed, the delete prior is missing from the short menu when you click the date in messages list.

I also noticed that when you click on a folder on the "all" tab when the tray is not fully open it will open the tray before it opens the folder which was more an aesthetic change than anything else but before the folder would just open in the reduced tray so part of the icons would sometime get cut off at the bottom of the screen.

Everything else people mentioned in here is true, the interface seems crisper, the browser loads quick, and zooming and scrolling is much smoother. I tested the virtual keyboard by typing a sentence of 20 words as fast as I could and see how many mistakes i made, and was pleasantly surprised that the accuracy was around 95% and only about 15-20% slower than I was able to type it on the physical keyboard.

From all this it looks likely that with a few minor tweaks and a couple bug fixes that this version will be official or a version number very close.
    09-10-10 02:58 AM
    well i downloaded the .214 app & opened the link, plugged in my phone, made a back up, then forgot what happened but I clicked something and then it took over an an hour almost 2 hours of over 500 "modules" were being downloaded to my phone then it rebooted, and all of that and i thought phone was being "upgraded" to .214 but after phone was completed, I checked info and it still says .141

dont know what to uninstall, all i have is the DM that i downloaded from disc that came w/ torch.
    Ok I want you to forget all of that and start over. Follow the step by step upgrading instructions here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/off...ml#post5565147

What if I just wait until it is officially launced. Anyone have any ideas on the time frame?

Thanks!
    It could be a year before AT&T offers it as an official upgrade, to be honest. The Canadian carriers might release it as official when they release the phone in a few weeks but it's going to be the exact same thing.

Don't be scared - the only thing to worry about with leaked beta OS versions is that they may be buggy and bad. It is obvious that this is not the case with .214!
    09-10-10 07:34 AM
506 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD