@TAG > good for you mate. Reviews were saying that it is pretty solid and no major bugs or glitches

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-10 01:16 PM
    I installed this update and I had to go back to my previous version. My problem is that i have t-mobile and i rely on UMA for coverage in my house. This update made the calls over UMA very deficient compared to the old OS. I want to know if somebody else had the same problem or maybe i'm doing something wrong.
    Thx.
    06-11-10 03:18 PM
    Hello all. This is my first post, but I have been using Blackberries for quite a while since my previous job required it. I have used the 8700G, the Pearl, the Curve 8900 (my current phone) and now my Mom's new Bold 9700.

I admit that this was my first time upgrading my software on my phone to a version other than an official version provided by my cell phone provider (T-Mobile), but after reading several forum posts thoroughly, researching the latest release, and learning about programs like Crackmem and BBSAK, I felt confident in upgrading.

Unfortunately, I did not back up my 3rd party apps because I received an error message when I tried to run BBSAK stating that the version had expired. *shrug* I figured that I could just re-install the apps later. No big deal. (Which I did.)

Anyway, I updated my T-Mobile Curve 8900 from 4.6.xxx to 5.0.0.681 Hutchison by backing up my data files with BBDM and tried to install using the method outlined in another forum post (I think it was the .411 version). Since I'm running on a freshly installed Windows 7, I didn't have any previous versions of the OS to delete from my computer, so I DL'd the OS 5.0, installed it, deleted my vendor.xml, turned off the internet on both my laptop and my BB, wiped my BB using the Wipe Handheld option in Security, and connected my BB to my laptop. I then used the app loader (without BBDM) but did not see my OS 5.0 listed. I then opened BBDM and went to App Loader inside of BBDM. This showed OS 5.0, but when I clicked Next, it told me it required Blackberry Service or something to that effect.

Not one to be deterred easily by a snag, I turned my internet back on and installed BBSAK. Got the error that I mentioned earlier about it being expired. Installed Crackmem, turned off my internet, and "wiped" my BB using Crackmem. It also installed the OS at the same time.

I was ecstatic. I reloaded my data from backup, and started looking at what I needed to reinstall. For some reason, GTalk had been removed (the only IM program I still had installed was BBM which I don't use), I had no games, and the BB Music Player icon is missing, as well as the Music folder.

GTalk wasn't that big a deal to reinstall, since it's available from Blackberry App World. However, I can't figure out how to get my Games (Brickbreaker, Word Mole, Texas Hold 'Em King, Sudoku, and Klondike), Music folder, and BB Music Player back.

I did not see any mention in this thread about anyone losing their Music Player, or Music folder. I did see mention about loss of a couple of games, but not all of them.

Any suggestions or help someone could provide would be lovely.

Thank you very much.
    This is a first and I'll agree that I'm stumped. My first suggestion is find the Ahmed pdf in this thread as it has the link to get the latest BBSAK. And instead of doing a security wipe, wipe the phone completely with BBSAK, all outlined in the pdf. Once the apploader comes up when reloading the software, you should get the option to choose what to install and then put a check mark on the games you need. Follow the pdf to the "t" and it should get everything looking and loading like it should. Keep us posted and I hope that helps.

06-11-10 05:15 PM
    I installed this update and I had to go back to my previous version. My problem is that i have t-mobile and i rely on UMA for coverage in my house. This update made the calls over UMA very deficient compared to the old OS. I want to know if somebody else had the same problem or maybe i'm doing something wrong.
    Thx.
    By deficient, what do you mean. I am on T-Mobile as-well and have not noticed any change on my uma calling. Please explain the problem with a little more detail and we can try to help resolve it. Keep us posted.

06-11-10 05:18 PM
    This is a first and I'll agree that I'm stumped. My first suggestion is find the Ahmed pdf in this thread as it has the link to get the latest BBSAK. And instead of doing a security wipe, wipe the phone completely with BBSAK, all outlined in the pdf. Once the apploader comes up when reloading the software, you should get the option to choose what to install and then put a check mark on the games you need. Follow the pdf to the "t" and it should get everything looking and loading like it should. Keep us posted and I hope that helps.

Okay, decided to try it Ahmed's way again (guess I forgot to mention that I did try it the first time), and actually discovered where/why I failed when I tried to do it the first time, and this may enlighten others:

BBSAK apparently requires an internet connection when it starts up.

Here is what I did this time. Backed up my data with BBDM first just to make sure I had a current backup. This time while browsing the forums to find Ahmed's PDF again, I started up the BBSAK--which I already had downloaded and installed and this time it worked--and backed up my 3rd party apps just to be on the safe side.

Opened the PDF and ran through the directions. Step 3 states to close BBDM and disconnect your PC from the internet from now on as well as turn off connections on your BB (I had done this on the first install as well), so I turned off my internet and turned off connections on my BB.

Step 4 ironically says to download and install BBSAK (after disconnecting the internet in Step 3. oh well, no biggie, I already have it installed.)

So I start up BBSAK, and what do I get? The same error message I got the first time I tried to use the program. "Application has expired! Your Blackberry Swiss Army Knife has expired. Please visit site below to obtain new version. [link removed due to low post count]"

For a moment I was confused because I had just used the program a little bit ago to backup my apps. Then it dawns on me. I click OK, turn my internet back on, and re-open BBSAK. Surprise, surprise, it starts right on up.

So, now that I have BBSAK running, I disable my internet again and follow the remaining instructions in Ahmed's tutorial.

As you mentioned, when I got to the load OS part, the App loader actually gave me choices this time as to what I wanted to install or not. (YAY!)

Went through the install, and when my BB rebooted, first thing I checked was my games (all there), then my music folder (it's there too), and although I can't find a BBMedia Player icon, when I play my music, it comes up without needing a 3rd party app, so yay to that as well.

Now I press the Reload Apps button in BBSAK and it comes back within 5 seconds telling me apps restored, or something to that effect. I look at my phone, and none of my 3rd party apps are there. So I go through Install CODs and just reinstall them by directing it to the Backup folder in C:\Program Files\BBSAK. Alright, apps are loaded, but no data either. So I reload my backup from BBDM.

All said and done, it took me about 30 to 45 minutes to do this entire process. Not too painful and I learned something that may help others. And I have everything back on my BB.

Thanks for your time and help.
    06-12-10 03:10 AM
    Okay, decided to try it Ahmed's way again (guess I forgot to mention that I did try it the first time), and actually discovered where/why I failed when I tried to do it the first time, and this may enlighten others:

Here is what I did this time. Backed up my data with BBDM first just to make sure I had a current backup. This time while browsing the forums to find Ahmed's PDF again, I started up the BBSAK--which I already had downloaded and installed and this time it worked--and backed up my 3rd party apps just to be on the safe side.

Opened the PDF and ran through the directions. Step 3 states to close BBDM and disconnect your PC from the internet from now on as well as turn off connections on your BB (I had done this on the first install as well), so I turned off my internet and turned off connections on my BB.

Step 4 ironically says to download and install BBSAK (after disconnecting the internet in Step 3. oh well, no biggie, I already have it installed.)

So I start up BBSAK, and what do I get? The same error message I got the first time I tried to use the program. "Application has expired! Your Blackberry Swiss Army Knife has expired. Please visit site below to obtain new version. [link removed due to low post count]"

For a moment I was confused because I had just used the program a little bit ago to backup my apps. Then it dawns on me. I click OK, turn my internet back on, and re-open BBSAK. Surprise, surprise, it starts right on up.

So, now that I have BBSAK running, I disable my internet again and follow the remaining instructions in Ahmed's tutorial.

As you mentioned, when I got to the load OS part, the App loader actually gave me choices this time as to what I wanted to install or not. (YAY!)

Went through the install, and when my BB rebooted, first thing I checked was my games (all there), then my music folder (it's there too), and although I can't find a BBMedia Player icon, when I play my music, it comes up without needing a 3rd party app, so yay to that as well.

Now I press the Reload Apps button in BBSAK and it comes back within 5 seconds telling me apps restored, or something to that effect. I look at my phone, and none of my 3rd party apps are there. So I go through Install CODs and just reinstall them by directing it to the Backup folder in C:\Program Files\BBSAK. Alright, apps are loaded, but no data either. So I reload my backup from BBDM.

All said and done, it took me about 30 to 45 minutes to do this entire process. Not too painful and I learned something that may help others. And I have everything back on my BB.

Thanx for your input . . this sure will help others who had problems with BBSAK
    06-12-10 07:04 AM

Glad everything worked out man.

06-12-10 10:06 AM
    By deficient, what do you mean. I am on T-Mobile as-well and have not noticed any change on my uma calling. Please explain the problem with a little more detail and we can try to help resolve it. Keep us posted.

Thx Xolanir for replying:
    The problem is that i hear the other party intermittently when I'm on UMA. They don't have problems listening to me. I tried lowering the volume on my phone and it corrects this problem a little bit. I don't have the same problem with OS 4 from T-mobile.
    Thx again.
    b727
    06-12-10 12:58 PM
    Ok idk how all u guys are doing this, but I can't update! I have ver 4.7 desktop software (the one that came with the phone) I'm updating to 5.0.1 via the desktop software update option and I already have the new os downloaded.... I deleted the vendor file, then I connected my bb to the desktop but it says no new updates are available when I click on app loader then update os..... That's why I'm trying to download v5.0.1 now.... My current os on my 8900 is 4.6.1.231 with tmobile.... Will someone please explain wtf I'm doing wrong?

Phil

06-13-10 03:41 AM
    Hi phil

What you are doing wrong is trying to upgrade using DM ( Desktop Manager ). Use DM to backup and restore only.

To upgrade, go to the folder where you've found the vendor file and double click on '' loader ''. If that did not work, get BBSAK or CrackMem to wipe and load the OS into your phone.

Procedure > http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ne...ml#post5187089

BBSAK and CrackMem can be found in my signature.

all the best mate . . . keep us posted
    06-13-10 07:07 AM
    ok, i finally updated my 8900 OS by changing the usb cord. after pressing the lock button at the top, is it normal that before i can answer an incoming call, i have to first unlock the phone? (pressing the other keys do not light up the screen)
    anytime i'm doing anything on the phone e.g chatting, texting, once the screen goes blank, it automatically locks up & i have to press the lock button at the top.
    i updated from v4.6 to v5.0.0.681 and i must say the battery life is quite impressive
    06-13-10 11:01 AM
    Ahmed I sent u a pm.... I tried bbsak and it said it expired the second I opened it and it closed down LoL... I tried crackmem and it says no software mathcing my phone is found bla bla bla

06-13-10 11:06 AM
    Ooh and another thing, I downloaded the vodaphone uk multilanguage version.... Does that even matter? As it took over 2 hours to download (remember I'm using my phone as my internet modem) or should I download the hutchison version instead?

06-13-10 11:10 AM
    Ahmed I sent u a pm.... I tried bbsak and it said it expired the second I opened it and it closed down LoL... I tried crackmem and it says no software mathcing my phone is found bla bla bla

CrackMem said that ! Are you sure you have the right version for the 8900 installed on your PC ? Coz that's really strange

06-13-10 02:13 PM
    Well I just downloaded the link from this thread and downloaded it, I just removed everything on my comp except the desktop manager software, I'm going to instal the hitchison version then delete the vendor file.... Ill try using apploader first, if that doesn't work then ill try using crackmem.... Idk if it matters but I have vista 64bit and my common files section is in program filesx86

06-13-10 02:34 PM
    Well I just downloaded the link from this thread and downloaded it, I just removed everything on my comp except the desktop manager software, I'm going to instal the hitchison version then delete the vendor file.... Ill try using apploader first, if that doesn't work then ill try using crackmem.... Idk if it matters but I have vista 64bit and my common files section is in program filesx86

I've upgraded several BlackBerries using Vista 64-bit and Windows7 32-bit and had no problems whatsoever. Try using loader ( double click on it ) which is located in the same folder where you've found Vendor, and if that didn't work use CrackMem
    06-13-10 03:57 PM
    I tried loader and it only showed me the options for my apps and not software..... I tried dm apploader and clicked on update software and it said no new software update is needed... I tried crackmem and it says the same thing it said earlier.... This is quite frusterating

06-13-10 04:02 PM
    This is weird man. And you've said that you did uninstall the .681, restarted your PC, deleted the AppLoader file ( where you've found Vendor ) and reinstalled the .681 again and then deleted the Vendor file.

Runned CrackMem and selected the installed OS ( on the left of the window ) then clicked on Wipe Device and here where the message shows.

you did all that. right?

I'm telling you, this is WEIRD.

okay, when you go to add/uninstall programs, do see the BlackBerry Device software now ?
    06-13-10 04:14 PM
    Ok it finally worked.... I clicked execute before I clicked wipe phone and for some reason it worked LoL.... The only complaint I have is losing my blackberry maps thing.... It came with the phone so why would that get deleted? Anyone know where I can download it? I don't like google maps app that's why I want my old maps back.... Thanks again for the help ahmed

06-13-10 07:14 PM
    Ok it finally worked.... I clicked execute before I clicked wipe phone and for some reason it worked LoL.... The only complaint I have is losing my blackberry maps thing.... It came with the phone so why would that get deleted? Anyone know where I can download it? I don't like google maps app that's why I want my old maps back.... Thanks again for the help ahmed

As far as I know, blackberry maps comes as a package with any os you install. You could do the entire process again and then double check to see if bbmaps shows up when you install, then install it that way. Or you could try the willyboy hybrid v5.1/v5.2 for the 8900 and that will give you the option to load bbmaps as-well. Good luck dude, hope that helps.

06-13-10 08:10 PM
    As far as I know, blackberry maps comes as a package with any os you install. You could do the entire process again and then double check to see if bbmaps shows up when you install, then install it that way. Or you could try the willyboy hybrid v5.1/v5.2 for the 8900 and that will give you the option to load bbmaps as-well. Good luck dude, hope that helps.

True . . do what xolanir said

And you're welcome phil
    06-13-10 08:25 PM
    With all the trouble I had upgrading to begin with I would rather not try and do it all over again LoL.... I think ill just try and find it somewhere online

06-13-10 09:58 PM
    With all the trouble I had upgrading to begin with I would rather not try and do it all over again LoL.... I think ill just try and find it somewhere online
    yeah, I thought so ;P . . not sure if you can find it online though but give it a try and search
    06-14-10 08:02 AM
    Well I got the bb maps.... Silly me didn't think to just load DM and run app loader LoL... So I loaded it up and I'm content once again LoL.... But after a day I'm really happy with the update so far... But I do have a question... Wtf is visual voice mail? Lol

06-14-10 08:11 PM
    Well I got the bb maps.... Silly me didn't think to just load DM and run app loader LoL... So I loaded it up and I'm content once again LoL.... But after a day I'm really happy with the update so far... But I do have a question... Wtf is visual voice mail? Lol

Visual voice mail = an app that shows you your voice mail messages. It will show you the phone number, the duration of the message, and you can play and delete your messages without having to call your voicemail.

06-14-10 11:13 PM
341 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD