whoever is looking for the installation procedure of an OS . . I've attached a .pdf file

Regards

Edit:
    Updated to use BBSAK instead of CrackMem. BBSAK backs up all your 3rd party applications too
    Note: For BBSAK ( Mass storage should be off )

Go to > Options / memory / mass storage mode support ( off )
    Dude I'm diggin the guide. Very precise and in-depth and will sure help out tons of folks. Props to you man.
    06-09-10 09:14 PM
    Of course leave it up to me to get something no one else got..lol Ive done this before and never any issues, I got "error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable" Any ideas??
    Sounds like the actual os 5 file may have been corrupted somehow during the download process. Re-download it and then retry the installation. Keep us posted and we will troubleshoot from there.
    06-09-10 09:16 PM
    Just re downloaded and got same thing...im lost.
    06-09-10 09:53 PM
    Has anybody else noticed that with this theme the LED light will only flash for a certain amount of time and then stop?!

I'd noticed a few times that when I woke up and looked over at my phone in the pod it wouldn't be flashing so I could go get myself ready for the day then come back and it's still not flashing so I assume I have no email/messages then I pick my phone up and see 3 emails and a facebook notification (all have the led light activated in my profile settings) so I emailed myself and left it, the LED light flashed for about 10/15 minutes and then stopped.

Anybody else get this? How do I fix it or is it just a built in addition to this OS? A bit pointless if it is tbh because it kind of defeats the point of having a LED indicator.

*edit* Just done another test and it is exactly 15 minutes (I timed it) - This is very irritating, any idea how to fix this problem?
    Does anyone else get this?
    Last edited by 1DJC; 06-10-10 at 07:18 AM.
    06-10-10 05:58 AM
    Dude I'm diggin the guide. Very precise and in-depth and will sure help out tons of folks. Props to you man.
    Thanks xolanir . . I really appreciate it since it is coming from an experienced Guy like you

Thanx again
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 06-10-10 at 08:02 AM.
    06-10-10 07:13 AM
    That's weird !. Try downloading it from a different PC

Download an application called '' free download manager '' coz it helps speeding the download and resuming it if something went wrong

Free Download Manager | Download ( it's the first one in the list '' FDM ver. 3.0 build 852 '' )
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 06-10-10 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Link
    06-10-10 07:19 AM
    Ahmed. G you seem to know what you're doing lol. Any help on my above problem?
    06-10-10 07:20 AM
    Has anybody else noticed that with this theme the LED light will only flash for a certain amount of time and then stop?!

I'd noticed a few times that when I woke up and looked over at my phone in the pod it wouldn't be flashing so I could go get myself ready for the day then come back and it's still not flashing so I assume I have no email/messages then I pick my phone up and see 3 emails and a facebook notification (all have the led light activated in my profile settings) so I emailed myself and left it, the LED light flashed for about 10/15 minutes and then stopped.

Anybody else get this? How do I fix it or is it just a built in addition to this OS? A bit pointless if it is tbh because it kind of defeats the point of having a LED indicator.

*edit* Just done another test and it is exactly 15 minutes (I timed it) - This is very irritating, any idea how to fix this problem?
    Does anyone else get this?
    This does happen. Happened with the .509 and now with the .681. It's not normal but I got used to it.

Every once and then I check if I have any BBM or Email
    06-10-10 07:33 AM
    Okay thank you for the reply man..

By saying 'it does happen' do you mean its a glitch so if i reinstalled it may work or is it just a regular function of the new OS?
    06-10-10 08:43 AM
    I believe it is a regular function since, as I said earlier, it also happened with the 5.0.0.509.

I did reload the .509 a couple of times coz I upgraded then downgraded back to it, and still the same thing. After a while the LED just stops blinking
    06-10-10 08:50 AM
    Okay thank you mate, the helps much appreciated!

Hopefully Blackberry can sort this problem in the next version.
    06-10-10 09:19 AM
    Okay thank you mate, the helps much appreciated!

Hopefully Blackberry can sort this problem in the next version.
    Anytime Mate . . . Hopefully they do
    06-10-10 09:29 AM
    Ok i came to work and did the update and everything worked fine..i think it has something to do with my pc. I did a registry cleaner for the first time last month and every since then there has been some screwy things going on. I went to system restore to see if i can undo it but for some reason windows 7 only goes back a week. But so far so good...ill play with it today!

Does anyone know if this fixed the issue where if I opened a mms that had an audio attached to it, and later when i hung up from a call the audio from the mms would play and i couldn't stop...got kinda annoying!...lol
    Last edited by Simply2low; 06-10-10 at 10:25 AM.
    06-10-10 10:21 AM
    One thing that sucks is that for ALL the custom 5.0 themes I've downloaded, the incoming and active calls have the default blue/black background. Other than that, it runs pretty smooth~
    That happens if you're on an 8900 and the theme is originally for 9630 or the 9700. It's got nothing to do with your OS.
    06-10-10 10:36 AM
    Ok i came to work and did the update and everything worked fine..i think it has something to do with my pc. I did a registry cleaner for the first time last month and every since then there has been some screwy things going on. I went to system restore to see if i can undo it but for some reason windows 7 only goes back a week. But so far so good...ill play with it today!

Does anyone know if this fixed the issue where if I opened a mms that had an audio attached to it, and later when i hung up from a call the audio from the mms would play and i couldn't stop...got kinda annoying!...lol
    Registry "cleaners" are always a bad idea.
    06-10-10 10:37 AM
    Ok, I have upgraded the OS on my phone MANY times before however, I can't get it to go on this OS? Anyone have any pointers or the same issue? I deleted the Vendor XML file? But when I connect using AppLoader it doesn't find the newly installed OS? And yes, I only have one OS installed on my computer right now.

Thanks in advance, have a good one.
    06-10-10 02:47 PM
    Ok, I have upgraded the OS on my phone MANY times before however, I can't get it to go on this OS? Anyone have any pointers or the same issue? I deleted the Vendor XML file? But when I connect using AppLoader it doesn't find the newly installed OS? And yes, I only have one OS installed on my computer right now.

I had the same problem. I recommend downloading BBSAK and using Ahmed G's tutorial listed in his sig.
    06-10-10 03:41 PM

Check out Ahmeds pdf guide on the os install and see if that will help out. BBSAK work wonders and I've used it plenty of times upgrading my os. Keep us posted. Hope that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 07:48 PM
    Thanks xolanir . . I really appreciate it since it is coming from an experienced Guy like you

Thanx again
    Thx dude! I'm still a work in progress myself and each time people help each other out here in the forums, it's always and opportunity to learn.

06-10-10 07:51 PM
    Thx dude! I'm still a work in progress myself and each time people help each other out here in the forums, it's always and opportunity to learn.
    True . . So True

all the best mate
    06-10-10 07:53 PM
    Hello all. This is my first post, but I have been using Blackberries for quite a while since my previous job required it. I have used the 8700G, the Pearl, the Curve 8900 (my current phone) and now my Mom's new Bold 9700.

I admit that this was my first time upgrading my software on my phone to a version other than an official version provided by my cell phone provider (T-Mobile), but after reading several forum posts thoroughly, researching the latest release, and learning about programs like Crackmem and BBSAK, I felt confident in upgrading.

Unfortunately, I did not back up my 3rd party apps because I received an error message when I tried to run BBSAK stating that the version had expired. *shrug* I figured that I could just re-install the apps later. No big deal. (Which I did.)

Anyway, I updated my T-Mobile Curve 8900 from 4.6.xxx to 5.0.0.681 Hutchison by backing up my data files with BBDM and tried to install using the method outlined in another forum post (I think it was the .411 version). Since I'm running on a freshly installed Windows 7, I didn't have any previous versions of the OS to delete from my computer, so I DL'd the OS 5.0, installed it, deleted my vendor.xml, turned off the internet on both my laptop and my BB, wiped my BB using the Wipe Handheld option in Security, and connected my BB to my laptop. I then used the app loader (without BBDM) but did not see my OS 5.0 listed. I then opened BBDM and went to App Loader inside of BBDM. This showed OS 5.0, but when I clicked Next, it told me it required Blackberry Service or something to that effect.

Not one to be deterred easily by a snag, I turned my internet back on and installed BBSAK. Got the error that I mentioned earlier about it being expired. Installed Crackmem, turned off my internet, and "wiped" my BB using Crackmem. It also installed the OS at the same time.

I was ecstatic. I reloaded my data from backup, and started looking at what I needed to reinstall. For some reason, GTalk had been removed (the only IM program I still had installed was BBM which I don't use), I had no games, and the BB Music Player icon is missing, as well as the Music folder.

GTalk wasn't that big a deal to reinstall, since it's available from Blackberry App World. However, I can't figure out how to get my Games (Brickbreaker, Word Mole, Texas Hold 'Em King, Sudoku, and Klondike), Music folder, and BB Music Player back.

I did not see any mention in this thread about anyone losing their Music Player, or Music folder. I did see mention about loss of a couple of games, but not all of them.

Any suggestions or help someone could provide would be lovely.

Thank you very much.
    06-10-10 10:55 PM
    One quick question, probably a stupid one but I see that is says EastAsia in the file name. I am in the US and with ATT and wondering if this upgrade will work and be ok on my phone. Thanks in advance.
    06-11-10 07:13 AM
    One quick question, probably a stupid one but I see that is says EastAsia in the file name. I am in the US and with ATT and wondering if this upgrade will work and be ok on my phone. Thanks in advance.
    "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers." While I can't guarantee in any way that this upgrade will work and be okay on your phone, I can assure you that it installs in English, I live in Colorado and use T-Mobile and am using this software. I seem to have a minor glitch which I already posted about, but I doubt that my experience is in anyway indicative of the experience you may or may not have with Hutchison .681.

My recommendation would be to backup your data and give it a shot. There is plenty of info on this site on how to do the upgrade without bricking your BB, and you should be able to revert to the previous software if you have problems.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Willis.

06-11-10 07:25 AM
    grtdrgn,
    Thanks for the info. I am installing it now and we will see what happens! Thanks
    06-11-10 08:05 AM
    Update went great on my wifes phone. No hitches. Almost 24 hours since and no bugs that I'm aware of.

06-11-10 10:26 AM
341 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD