i know i'm probably being thick but what would happen if i installed the os for differnt blackberry on my curve 8900 say if i was to install the bold 9000 os instead
    05-30-10 04:59 PM
    After loading my apps I still keep getting the "uncaught exception java.lang.error"...anyone else having this issue?

There seems to be an issue with apps that rely on the "Location Data" permission. Anyone else having this issue? For me it's Google Maps and Poynt.
    Last edited by stoneland; 05-30-10 at 09:29 PM.
    05-30-10 09:08 PM
    I have followed all the instructions on upgrading the software from 4.6.1.231 to this and it says completed but when I go to about page it still reads the old version.

Did anyone else happen to run into this.

I am have installed 5.0.1 desktop and running Win 7 pro
    I have BBC 8900.

Please guide me to correctly upgrade to this vers. I have been having a lot of issues using Facebook and twitter over Wi-Fi as I dont have the dataplan with my provider.
    05-31-10 09:25 AM
    I don't know if it's just me, but autostandby doesn't work on this version. Besides that, all my other apps work fine, and it definitely seems a lot more snappier than my previous version (.411).

Other observations:
    Camera shutter sound is different..
    Last edited by pmusngi; 05-31-10 at 04:01 PM.
    05-31-10 02:52 PM
    Anyone face a problem with opera mini 4.2 with this BB OS?? I cant use my trackball to click instead I have to use space/enter button and somewhat the back button also not working.
    05-31-10 04:25 PM
    I upgraded from 512 to this. I am on prepaid subscription and whenever I connect via wifi, I turn off my mobile network because it incurs load from my network. Even if I turn off my mobile network, it still deducts load. I unchecked the APN, left it blank, put my browser configuration to hotspot browser for wifi. Still the same problem. Any help pls?
    05-31-10 09:41 PM
    I have followed all the instructions on upgrading the software from 4.6.1.231 to this and it says completed but when I go to about page it still reads the old version.

Did anyone else happen to run into this.

I am have installed 5.0.1 desktop and running Win 7 pro
    I have BBC 8900.

Please guide me to correctly upgrade to this vers. I have been having a lot of issues using Facebook and twitter over Wi-Fi as I dont have the dataplan with my provider.
    You need a data plan to upgrade to os 5. I suggest you get a data plan, even if it is a limited one, because it opens up many applications for you too. I have an email only data pack, and most apps work on my berry. Maybe you can use your friends sim (which has data services enabled on it) to upgrade. once you install the software, you can swap sims again. There's a whole thread on how you can upgrade w/o a data service, but you'll have to look for that online. My suggestion - go for a data service.

And remember to delete the vendor.xml file if you're not from vodafone east asia.

best of luck
    05-31-10 11:46 PM
    You need a data plan to upgrade to os 5. I suggest you get a data plan, even if it is a limited one, because it opens up many applications for you too. I have an email only data pack, and most apps work on my berry. Maybe you can use your friends sim (which has data services enabled on it) to upgrade. once you install the software, you can swap sims again. There's a whole thread on how you can upgrade w/o a data service, but you'll have to look for that online. My suggestion - go for a data service.

And remember to delete the vendor.xml file if you're not from vodafone east asia.
    best of luck

You don't need a data plan to upgrade to 5.0 or this build!..
    PLEASE READ BELOW ON HOW TO FLASH YOUR BB WITH CRACKMEM !!!!
    Download Crackmem here:
    forums.crackberry.com/attachments/f35/12844d1234562443-crackmem-v3-x-released-crackmem.zip

Those are the steps but if xolanir would let me add a couple of things I would say:

1. When you delete the vendor.xml file > disconnect from the internet and turn off the Mobile network on your BB since it tends to get some information and downloads the Vendor.xml

2. The loader.exe way had worked with many but problems had started to occur. So I would recommend the use of an application called CrackMem for the installation part.

3. Run CrackMem and then choose the OS you've installed earlier

4. Click on Wipe Device . . it will ask you to write BrickMyPhone -> write it

5. Follow the installation instructions afterwards and you'll be Fine
    Last edited by bakasamaz; 06-01-10 at 01:32 AM.
    06-01-10 01:24 AM
    i know i'm probably being thick but what would happen if i installed the os for differnt blackberry on my curve 8900 say if i was to install the bold 9000 os instead
    You will screw up your BB and it will be bricked

Don't even think again of doing that
    06-01-10 03:04 PM
    Upgrading Procedure for an Official OS release is as follows:

1. Download the OS and install it on your PC. (Make sure you have already removed any older OSes you have installed on your PC by going to Add / Remove Programs in Control Panel)

2. Delete the vendor.xml file (located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader)

3. Backup your 3rd party applications ( optional recommended step )

4. Connect your BlackBerry to your PC and right click on a file named Loader (located in the same place where you found the vendor.xml > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe) and select '' Run As Administrator ''

5. Follow the prompts and make sure you select the languages and applications you wish to be installed.
    The Loader will backup and restore your data by default.

Still Having Issues !!?
    I would recommend using BBSAK to Upgrade, so

- Uninstall the OS(s) you already have installed on your PC
    - Delete the folder (research in motion) in ( c: \program files\common files\research in motion )
    - Restart your PC
    - Download the .pdf file attached below and follow the How-To

The previous file is removed and a new updated file is attached

Last edited by Ahmed G.; 09-28-10 at 06:01 AM. Reason: file is updated
    06-01-10 03:37 PM
    The WeatherBug icon is no longer updating for me....stuck at the "bug" picture. Deleting, reinstalling (both the app and the OS), battery pulls...nothing worked.

Still stuck with the bug.
    06-02-10 01:22 PM
    I did not like this upgrade! It made my battery act weird and it didnt seem to last as long. Im downgrading.
    act weird as in how? - My last 15% relatively lasts the longest as opposed to the earlier 85%.

There's another thing i noticed, and maybe this is not just the case with the the os, but my blackberry doesn't shut the radio off, even when the battery level reaches to 3%. I've never ventured below that so i don't know if it shuts off below 3%, but does any one else have the same problem (observation, rather)?
    06-03-10 06:25 AM
    I think the battery drainage totally depends on how you use your phone for the most part. Power users will drain the battery much faster than regular users. I'm sporting the willyboy 5.1 hybrid ontop of my .681 and that has improved my battery quality. I started at 100% on 06/01/10 @ 6:30am and yesterday at 9:30pm I still had about 20% juice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 09:11 AM
    Well it was acting weird because the battery meter wasnt displaying correctly. Also say if i checked my status and it said 85% battery but if i took my battery out and put it back in then it would say 75%....I dont know if thats normal but i dont recall it doing it before. It didnt seem to last as long either. Not to mention i didnt like how the today theme shows my texts. lol
    Well if i do a battery pull i usually lose around 5% battery. That's normal I think - I'm not too sure about 10% drainage from battery pulls, but I have read somewhere that this os really drains battery when you do a battery pull, so that may be your cause. .592 was a good os, and If you were to downgrade, I would recommend you downgrade to that version, seeing how the changes are very limited (the biggest advantage being a faster boot time, which i'm sure you're willing to forgo to save that extra battery time.)

Maybe you can move to the "willy boy" make of the os? like mentioned below - I have no idea what it's about, but it seems interesting. Besides downgrading is depressing! Cheers
    06-04-10 01:45 AM
    I think the battery drainage totally depends on how you use your phone for the most part. Power users will drain the battery much faster than regular users. I'm sporting the willyboy 5.1 hybrid ontop of my .681 and that has improved my battery quality. I started at 100% on 06/01/10 @ 6:30am and yesterday at 9:30pm I still had about 20% juice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hey this sounds very interesting - how do I get it, and is it safe to upgrade to it? will my phone still be covered under warranty?
    06-04-10 01:46 AM
    I'm liking this OS, installed it last night.
    06-04-10 09:15 AM
    Does this OS really have a battery drain after a pull?
    06-04-10 02:39 PM
    Hey this sounds very interesting - how do I get it, and is it safe to upgrade to it? will my phone still be covered under warranty?
    All you need to do is go into the hybrid os thread and look for the Willyboy 8900 v5.1 hybrid. It will have the instructions on how to install it. As far as warranty is concerned, or as far as I'm aware this will not void your warranty because you are mainly installing a tweaked version of the phones os. If you have any questions willyboy will be good to troubleshoot anything with you. Once installed, the hybrid functions and looks like a regular os. In-fact it is. What it is, is a combination of different java environments from the storm 2, the 9700, 9650 as-well as the pearl along with the base 8900 os. How you ask? I don't know myself, but all I know is it work real good. Check it out for yourself and if you don't like it, you can always wipe your phone and install the OEM os. Check out link below:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/wil...-705-a-476472/
    06-04-10 06:34 PM
    I've been using this for about a week so far, and it's been very solid. Battery life seems a little short, but if you're in the habit of charging it overnight for the next day you shouldn't have a problem. I'm not a huge user but I do browse a little, BBM quite a bit, Twitter, Facebook, and talk on the phone for an average of 30 minutes a day, and wind up with around 40% at the end of the day.

The only problem that seems to be a bug is with the Poynt app...with that installed I kept getting the "Uncaught Exception java.Lang.Error". I thought the problem was with apps that need the permission for "Location Data" set to "Allow", but Google Maps works without a hitch. I just uninstalled it because I didn't really use Poynt anyway, but it seemed to work fine even with the error. The error doesn't pop up during regular use, just on bootup.

Everything feels a lot "snappier", and if you've been using 4.6 before like I have, I highly recommend upgrading. It definitely feels like a new phone!
    06-05-10 12:55 PM
    I have tried and used the steps on this site on how to upgrade but my desktop software is not finding the upgrade!! please help me i miss os 5.0
    06-05-10 03:57 PM
    I have tried and used the steps on this site on how to upgrade but my desktop software is not finding the upgrade!! please help me i miss os 5.0
    Don't use the Desktop Manager . . Follow the attached procedure in my previous post ( page 5 , second post from the top )
    06-05-10 05:11 PM
    up to .681 for 2 days already, few points noted:
    1. Trackball is smooth scrolling, definitely is "snappier" than previous
    2. Browser is faster
    3. Threaded SMS
    4. Battery is a little bit longer than previous (not significant)
    5. Mute button hasn't (still?) put the phone into Standby mode, it only "mutes" the ringtone
    6. Lock-key button also turn off the display

Overall, great version, works quite stable until now.
    Worth a try!
    06-07-10 12:13 AM
    Hello,

I've just bought my new BlackBerry 8900 Curve, and after reading some more about it, I found out it wasn't running with the newest OS (at the moment it's running: v.4.6.1.199 - i think...).

Therefore I downloaded the 5.0.0.681 Hutchison version and installed it as the guide told me to (install, delete "both" vondor.xlm files, connect BB, run the AppLoader). When I run the AppLoader it connects to my BB and when it shows the updates that are supposed to be installed, I only see the BlackBerry Messenger. I tried using the Desktop Manager instead, but with no luck either. Thats why I though that I could manually add the files, but then it said "This application is not compatible with your device and cannot be loaded" (on the AppLoader. On DM it said something similiar, just longer).

Can someone please help me with this - IMO - mystery?
    06-07-10 07:20 AM
    Hello enviedk ,

Uninstall the OS from your PC and then reinstall it again. Delete the Vendor file and in the same folder where you've found it, double click on a file called '' loader ''.

If this didn't work either, Download BBSAK or CrackMem to wipe your device and then load the OS.

Regards

Installation Procedure using BBSAK
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 06-07-10 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added link
    06-07-10 07:32 AM
    Hey I get "app error 523 reset" when I shut down password keeper . There's a particular process i follow when I get this error:

1) Open Password keeper
    2) When it requests for your password, instead of scrolling, click on the escape button.
    3) now it will say please wait - the small black seconds clock will come on for a second and then a white screen w/ app error 523 reset will come.

I don't get this error if i scroll over to cancel. Then it shuts down normally. Since this is a core application, I was wondering if any one else encountered this problem, and if no one has, then whether any one has any suggestions on how to solve it. I don't want to upload the os again, because the problem is too minute for me to really care , but if there is a walk around to this problem that someone knows of - do let me know thanks in advance
    06-07-10 08:08 AM
341 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD