Just curious about what everyone thinks. Now that OSX Mountain Lion is going to adopt iMessage, should RIM try to bring BBM to PC? It would be better than Google Talk and would open up a whole new world for RIM that would not include selling out to other mobile platforms... Opinions?
    02-17-12 02:51 PM
    There already is an app that can do that for BB. Again, RIM has the product out already and Apple claims innovation when they come out with it years later. Further, it assumes you want to spend 30% more for an equivalent computer with tons of expensive upgrades.

They make it easy for you to go over, what is hard is getting out after you shell out 4 -5 k for something you could buy for 3-4. I call it iClaustrophobia.
    02-17-12 03:04 PM
    There already is an app that can do that for BB.
    You can send BBM messages from the desktop? I never knew that. That would be very useful for us on this one project. What is the name of the app?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-17-12 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Yes, I can spell.
    02-17-12 03:09 PM
    BBM on the desktop would absolutely rock!
    02-17-12 03:12 PM
    There already is an app that can do that for BB. Again, RIM has the product out already and Apple claims innovation when they come out with it years later. Further, it assumes you want to spend 30% more for an equivalent computer with tons of expensive upgrades.

They make it easy for you to go over, what is hard is getting out after you shell out 4 -5 k for something you could buy for 3-4. I call it iClaustrophobia.
    What's the app? All I can find is this: BlackBerry Messenger on your Desktop - Fixmo Web Messenger enters public beta! form 2011.
    02-17-12 03:17 PM
    Already have that capabilty, just some people don't realize. It's called Windows Live Messenger. Give it a try.
    02-17-12 03:26 PM
    4-5k? What are you talking about? You can get an iPad, a MacBook Pro, and iPad, an iPod and iCloud for cheaper.
    02-17-12 03:27 PM
    4-5k? What are you talking about? You can get an iPad, a MacBook Pro, and iPad, an iPod and iCloud for cheaper.
    $1600 on Amazon for the 16 GB wi-fi iPad, 11.6 inch Air and 8GB iPod Touch, and iCloud is free. I don't know where the guy gets his numbers from, unless he's posting from 2002, in which case he's probably going to be asking what the iPad, MacBook Pro, iPod Touch and iCloud are.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-17-12 03:37 PM
    $1600 on Amazon for the 16 GB wi-fi iPad, 11.6 inch Air and 8GB iPod Touch, and iCloud is free. I don't know where the guy gets his numbers from, unless he's posting from 2002, in which case he's probably going to be asking what the iPad, MacBook Pro, iPod Touch and iCloud are.
    Yea. And what are these expensive upgrade? Upgrading OSX is not expensive at all.
    02-17-12 03:57 PM
    Question on BBM.

One thing I've seen touted as iMessage's killer advantage is that I don't need to "segregate" iMessage users.

I message you, and if you have iMessage, we get the full iMessage functionality. If not, it's just an SMS text.

I don't need to use one app for iMessages, one for SMS, and remember "Oh, Joe uses an iPhone... use iMessage... Jane uses a Nexus, use SMS...".

Just open the app, send the message, and no matter what the user has (or changes to), the message goes best way possible... iMessage if the user has it, SMS if not.

Does BBM do that, or do I need to remember "Pete has blackberry and BBM, Tina has Nokia so SMS".
    fernandez21 likes this.
    02-17-12 04:23 PM
    Question on BBM.

One thing I've seen touted as iMessage's killer advantage is that I don't need to "segregate" iMessage users.

I message you, and if you have iMessage, we get the full iMessage functionality. If not, it's just an SMS text.

I don't need to use one app for iMessages, one for SMS, and remember "Oh, Joe uses an iPhone... use iMessage... Jane uses a Nexus, use SMS...".

Just open the app, send the message, and no matter what the user has (or changes to), the message goes best way possible... iMessage if the user has it, SMS if not.

Does BBM do that, or do I need to remember "Pete has blackberry and BBM, Tina has Nokia so SMS".
    I prefer to have a seperate application for BlackBerry users. iMessage users don't get personal message updates (including music), individual profile pictures, know each contact's location/time zone, the ability to broadcast messages to all of their iMessage contacts or have iMessage contact groups as far as I know.

I have an iPod touch 4th generation and I only have three iMessage contacts. All of my other friends either have BlackBerry or Android devices� since I do, after all, work in a BlackBerry environment in the office.
    02-17-12 04:45 PM
    Yes but if a person has your phone number you can not block his imessage messages, like you can with BBM. And there is no way to tell imessage that a recipient pays per text message or you do, it just automatically sents a text if it determines that the other person doesn't have imessage.

I think I'll stick with BBM thanks.

CS
    02-17-12 05:09 PM
    I thought this earlier but Fixmo has had this out for awhile. As long as you still require a BB to do it, then RIM implementing this themselves is not a bad idea in my books as they dont want to cannibalize their own sales by allowing people to access such a popular service without a BB device.
    02-17-12 05:21 PM
    Question on BBM.

Come on now, you are making up an imaginary situation. You don't need to remember who has what as BBM has a contact list complete with pictures and status updates. If someone os not on your BBM list its SMS by default. The one thing I hate about WhatsApp and iMessage is that if someone has your number you are on their contact list. In BBM you need to give your PIN and add someone. Actually no need to even tell someone else that you have a BB and therefore BBM.

I tried WhatsApp for ten minutes before I deleted. I installed it and immediately everyone on my address book who was using WhatsApp was on my contact. I don't want that.

And as an aside, if someone doesn't have BBM, I do not send them texts or anything else. Phonecalls only for those people. I don't even bother replying to their texts.
    02-17-12 05:44 PM
    OK, two apps for one thing... messaging... just remember that John is in this app and Jane that app... most people in the SMS app, 25 and dropping in the other, if reports in this forum about losing all your BBM contacts over time are to be believed.

And as an aside, if someone doesn't have BBM, I do not send them texts or anything else. Phonecalls only for those people. I don't even bother replying to their texts.
    That would make an awesome TV spot. "If they don't have BBM, forget 'em".
    Last edited by Palmless; 02-17-12 at 07:47 PM.
    fernandez21 likes this.
    02-17-12 07:45 PM
    Question on BBM.

Lets say yes, BBM do that, but the only difference is that its not done automatically. You can always: Open BBM > Invite to BBM > Add a contact to text within BBM > Enter Phone Number and Name > Save

Any doubt? Read again.
    02-17-12 09:07 PM
    I am not a fan of the idea of DIRECT PC BBM, I like my BBM list segrigated, what I like is coming to an end slowly with BBID, and I'll learn to adapt, but currently BBM compresses, BBM sends to units that are almost always on, once BBM gets mixed into PC's and tablets that are not cellular connected, you'll run into far more BBM's in limbo waiting for delivery, and the app will be like Google Talk, or MSN.

BlackBerry is great because it remains international, if a contact leaves BlackBerry, BBM is done, and other means of contact must be had, the WORST part about iMessage is exactly what is most promoted, that an iMessage becomes SMS if the other party no longer has an iPhone, thus costing international SMS data rates.

There are other apps that can be installed for Personal PC connectivity,

now that said, I think BES(X) needs the ability host BBM ChatRooms, and LARGE BBM groups beyond the device limit, BES(X) needs to integrate with Webservers for Websites and WebApplications to connect to BlackBerry devices allowing PIN level simple registration, THAT is the direction I think RIM needs to move, not desktop BBM
    02-17-12 09:26 PM
    This is what I like about BBM, its posible future.

Licked RIM has a lifeline: a social network in a box • The Register
    02-17-12 09:40 PM
    Already have that capabilty, just some people don't realize. It's called Windows Live Messenger. Give it a try.
    If your going to say that then why not suggest AIM or Yahoo! Messenger? I mean, being able to use your existing BBM pin or a new unique one on a PC wouldn't cut into their mobile phone business. If people really like it on their computer it may lead to them wanting to use it on the go, hense getting a BB phone or PlayBook. That would boost sales. I'm not saying put it on iOS or Android, just PC. It could potentially help a new demographic fall in love with BBM who may have never given it a chance before. And BBM is very different than Windows Live Messenger.
    02-17-12 10:52 PM
    Question on BBM.

Yup I prefer it to.. To me it is actually more confusing! I like having separate app, just works easier and no confusion.. This person has BBM perfect ill BBM. Otherwise you forget who has iMessage and it doesn't even feel like you are using iMessage..kinda boring.
    mithrazor likes this.
    02-17-12 11:18 PM
    I think eventually RIM will have to start licencing BB10. Why? Because think about it, our cell phones are mini computers in our pocket. And since it's using QNX. It's integration with everything else would just benefit. I hope they don't go the Apple route where they're the sole providers of the OS. You can't really dominate like that. It won't work.

Apple is doing impressively against Android. But Android definitely has the upper hand. And once BB10 is successful, if it makes sense, I'm sure they will license it.

Since Android is open, device manufacturers are putting it on all sorts of things. Just look at CES, I think there was one company, I think ASUS or Acer, has a laptop with Android. And LG I think has a TV with Android on it.

It's only a matter of time where these OS's are going to be in everything.

So having BBM on the computer or other devices will most likely happen. But RIM's plan via Thorsten, they will be licensing BB10 if it makes sense after it is successful.

Which IMHO, is a great plan.
    02-17-12 11:28 PM
    iMessage is very well integrated in all of the devices, it makes me wanna switch! I have tried the beta on my mac and it is fabolous!
    02-18-12 08:24 AM
    I think eventually RIM will have to start licencing BB10. Why? Because think about it, our cell phones are mini computers in our pocket. And since it's using QNX. It's integration with everything else would just benefit. I hope they don't go the Apple route where they're the sole providers of the OS. You can't really dominate like that. It won't work.

Apple is doing impressively against Android. But Android definitely has the upper hand. And once BB10 is successful, if it makes sense, I'm sure they will license it.

Since Android is open, device manufacturers are putting it on all sorts of things. Just look at CES, I think there was one company, I think ASUS or Acer, has a laptop with Android. And LG I think has a TV with Android on it.

It's only a matter of time where these OS's are going to be in everything.

So having BBM on the computer or other devices will most likely happen. But RIM's plan via Thorsten, they will be licensing BB10 if it makes sense after it is successful.

Which IMHO, is a great plan.
    I prefer the exclusivity.
    I am fine by that.
    02-18-12 08:41 AM
    I would like to see BBM on PC. If I'm working on the PC, I'd rather not have to pick up the BlackBerry.
    02-18-12 11:57 AM
    I see iMessage as different in some key areas to BBM. Where it is really beneficial is when you have multiple iDevices. I like that I can text my daughters iPod. I like that I can answer messages from my phone, tablet or laptop seemlessly.
    02-18-12 11:58 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD