My 9930 does not seem to have a Built in Magnet for Sleep Mode Activation or am I wrong? I have always had that on my list of favorite features, I did not have to depend on pressing a button every time I holster it. I have found that my 9930 dials on its own in the holster, Example Getting in and out of the car or picking something up. Does the phone have a magnet or is the holster missing it?
    12-10-11 05:08 PM
    My 9850 goes to sleep in the pocket pouch I bought. The magnet has to be in the holster, pouch or what have you. The 9930 is a different phone though so could be different.
    Jonathank likes this.
    12-10-11 05:10 PM
    My 9930 has the feature in the settings. Options, Security, Password, Lock Handheld upon holstering. I check it, but the phone does not lock when holstered in either my old cases or the one it came with. The option is there but does not work. Any1 else have that problem. The phone does not lock let alone turn the screen off. My phone must have an issue
    12-10-11 05:21 PM
    my 9810 has the magnet sleep feature too

oh boy, i also got my 9810 running a solid 7.1! without any hassles! i don't know why i'm saying this, probably because i'm stoked and yes, you too can have a mobile hotspot, my fellow kind sir's and mam's if you have a 9810 or a 9900 and if you're willing to do some relatively easy finangling

yay

peace

word
    12-10-11 05:42 PM
    hmmm, maybe the 9930 doesn't have the magnet, and maybe the magnet is also used to activate the "password lock when holstered" feature, but they forgot to write that feature out of it's version of bb7, i dunno

or, perhaps the phone does have the magnet and the 9930 just has a small bug in the OS version causing both of these problems, sorry in advance if i am wrong, just speculating really

also, my understanding from the forums is the 9930 has been left out of the bb7 os updates so far, maybe i'm wrong, i'm not sure, but if the phone has the magnet, then perhaps it will work with an os update, or if it doesn't have the magnet, then the feature may disappear with an os update, either way, who knows

peace
    Last edited by buckwylder; 12-10-11 at 05:52 PM.
    Jonathank likes this.
    12-10-11 05:48 PM
    i spend friday and saturday nights with my 9810 and my playbook

i really need a life, lolololol
    Jonathank likes this.
    12-10-11 05:54 PM
    My 9930 has the magnet sleep feature. It worked with the OEM holster and the Seido active clip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    Jonathank likes this.
    12-10-11 05:59 PM
    i spend friday and saturday nights with my 9810 and my playbook

i really need a life, lolololol
    Tell me about it. Look at my post count.
    12-10-11 06:00 PM
    My 9930 sleeps and locks with my OEM holster. It kind of took me by surprise the first few times haha
    12-10-11 07:20 PM
    I had the same question when my phone didn't "sleep" with the holster I got when I purchased from Costco.

You can check if you have a magnet around the house. I have one on one of those telescope-y thingees to pick up dropped screws. I held it above the phone. When it was above the touchpad, the phone went to sleep. Ordered a leather pouch and it works like a charm
    Jonathank likes this.
    12-10-11 07:57 PM
    My 9900 has gone into sleep mode when holstered on every version of the OS I've tried so far... 7.0.0.250, 7.0.0.540 and 7.1.0.74. You might have a problem with the hardware on your phone.
    Jonathank likes this.
    12-10-11 07:59 PM
    My 9930 has the feature in the settings. Options, Security, Password, Lock Handheld upon holstering.
    Well you helped my with my 9930, I tried the settings, and it worked. I pressed on the buttons through the holster and it did not have any input to them.

I did not realize you could use these settings with out allowing pass word lock? I sure do not want to have to type in a password every time I un-holster my phone.
    12-11-11 05:12 PM
    My 9930 has the feature in the settings. Options, Security, Password, Lock Handheld upon holstering. I check it, but the phone does not lock when holstered in either my old cases or the one it came with. The option is there but does not work. Any1 else have that problem. The phone does not lock let alone turn the screen off. My phone must have an issue
    Just curious, but which direction is the phone facing when you holster it? If you're using the OEM case and you're not facing your device outwards, chances are good that the magnet in the case won't activate the lock.

hmmm, maybe the 9930 doesn't have the magnet, and maybe the magnet is also used to activate the "password lock when holstered" feature, but they forgot to write that feature out of it's version of bb7, i dunno

or, perhaps the phone does have the magnet and the 9930 just has a small bug in the OS version causing both of these problems, sorry in advance if i am wrong, just speculating really

also, my understanding from the forums is the 9930 has been left out of the bb7 os updates so far, maybe i'm wrong, i'm not sure, but if the phone has the magnet, then perhaps it will work with an os update, or if it doesn't have the magnet, then the feature may disappear with an os update, either way, who knows

peace
    CDMA devices are usually far and few between for updates. Also, the devices themselves do not contain a magnet, they're in the case(s).

Well you helped my with my 9930, I tried the settings, and it worked. I pressed on the buttons through the holster and it did not have any input to them.

I did not realize you could use these settings with out allowing pass word lock? I sure do not want to have to type in a password every time I un-holster my phone.
    Password enabled is not required to have the screen lock sleep mode activate upon holstering.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 12-11-11 at 05:49 PM. Reason: wording
    12-11-11 05:26 PM
    The magnet is under the trackpad in the 9930. Works perfectly with my Seidio clip holster and oem pouch. The lock upon holstering option is only available if you have pw lock enabled. Otherwise, the magnet will activate standby anyhow and will wake the device when removed from the holster.
    12-11-11 05:27 PM
    The magnet is under the trackpad in the 9930. Works perfectly with my Seidio clip holster and oem pouch. The lock upon holstering option is only available if you have pw lock enabled. Otherwise, the magnet will activate standby anyhow and will wake the device when removed from the holster.
    After reading yours I realized I needed to change the wording in that last line of my last post, thanks.

Might want to clarify there's no magnet in the handset, it has to be in the case and/or holster - next we'll have people buying cases like Speck's universal swivel clip which has no magnet and complain that their sleep mode won't work because they "read somewhere" that the magnet is in the phone.
    12-11-11 05:56 PM
    After reading yours I realized I needed to change the wording in that last line of my last post, thanks.

Might want to clarify there's no magnet in the handset, it has to be in the case and/or holster - next we'll have people buying cases like Speck's universal swivel clip which has no magnet and complain that their sleep mode won't work because they "read somewhere" that the magnet is in the phone.
    That's incorrect though. There is a magnet in the phone under the trackpad. The sleep function requires a magnet in the device and also in the holster to activate.
    12-11-11 06:15 PM
    Just curious, but which direction is the phone facing when you holster it? If you're using the OEM case and you're not facing your device outwards, chances are good that the magnet in the case won't activate the lock.
    Doesn't matter which way it faces. For sure on the OEM holster and the leather OEM. Lift the flap and hold it open, slip the phone in the holster while watching the screen, you'll see it go to sleep regardless of which way it faces. Same goes for my Otterbox defender.
    12-11-11 06:37 PM
    That's incorrect though. There is a magnet in the phone under the trackpad. The sleep function requires a magnet in the device and also in the holster to activate.
    I'll grant you that one - I've actually seen claims on both. One side says no, there's no magnet - it's a sealed contact that's activated by the case's (or bare) magnet. Others say there's a magnet in the device. I haven't seen a tear-down that exposes the magnet specifically, so I'm actually not going to stand on my earlier post; but I put forth that since none of my BlackBerry devices can pick up my keys or wipe a credit card and my cases can, I'm more apt to believe the sealed contact point.
    12-11-11 07:04 PM
    Now that you mention it, I've never actually read anything about what is inside the BB itself that activates standby with the magnet in the holster. Maybe it is just a sensor? I've always heard it was a magnet.
    12-11-11 09:38 PM
    Now that you mention it, I've never actually read anything about what is inside the BB itself that activates standby with the magnet in the holster. Maybe it is just a sensor? I've always heard it was a magnet.
    I did a quick search after your earlier post to see what else I could find; if you google it, you'll find people saying both - I even found you in another post on CB saying there was a magnet.
    12-11-11 09:45 PM
    Yes I know this is an old thread. However I am trying to find a solution to the occasional " dialing" my 9930 does in the OEM holster. It appears to go to sleep when I slide it in with the display facing my body direction. Yet it will still accidental dial by probably using one of the speed dial keys. Never had this problem with my old Pearl. The only way I am able to stop it is use the password protection which is a pain.
    11-29-12 12:06 PM
    Yes I know this is an old thread. However I am trying to find a solution to the occasional " dialing" my 9930 does in the OEM holster. It appears to go to sleep when I slide it in with the display facing my body direction. Yet it will still accidental dial by probably using one of the speed dial keys. Never had this problem with my old Pearl. The only way I am able to stop it is use the password protection which is a pain.
    Mine has never had a problem as long as I put the base of the phone in first, it does not matter what way the KB faces. It took me a while to figure out that you had to have to phone oriented upright to get the sleep mode to activate. I should have read the instructions I guess?
    11-29-12 03:36 PM
    It's probably due to it facing backwards (towards your body) that's the issue - the sleep sensor is not consistantly engaging because of having trouble detecting the magnet. Solutions are to either always face outwards, or attach a 2nd magnet to the backside of the holster to engage it facing in/towards the body.
    11-29-12 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD