I see nothing wrong with speculating and commenting about the video or the webkit. I think it is a waste of energy to predict performance, etc for the final product. I thought speculation was what this forum section was about. I am surprised this topic has lived so long, but it is highly populated by polarized views, which is what usually keeps these topics going on for weeks.
    07-12-10 06:40 AM
    I am truly amazed that this thread has not died and faded into well deserved oblivion where it belongs.

We see one single glimpse of a new browser and this negative titled thread starts up and runs and runs and runs.

Honestly I would have thought that most of you in here would have had more sense than to keep it alive.

There is nothing at all wrong with the new browser as we shall all see when it is properly launched.

Just let this thread fall off the end of the thread list where it richly deserves to be - please.
    I agree. What's the matter with people? They are ignoring one of the most basic of rules: DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.
    07-12-10 07:32 AM
    I agree. What's the matter with people? They are ignoring one of the most basic of rules: DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.
    Good luck with that one, lol
    07-12-10 08:06 AM
    I am truly amazed that this thread has not died and faded into well deserved oblivion where it belongs.

We see one single glimpse of a new browser and this negative titled thread starts up and runs and runs and runs.

Honestly I would have thought that most of you in here would have had more sense than to keep it alive.

There is nothing at all wrong with the new browser as we shall all see when it is properly launched.

Just let this thread fall off the end of the thread list where it richly deserves to be - please.
    Sorry, but that sounds like a bit of a cop-out on behalf of the mods.
    How hard is it to move, delete, or at least lock (that would drop it to end of the thread list the fastest) a thread that so obviously "needs to fade into oblivion".

Why are the mods so trigger shy? I see absolutely no value to these threads. Am I wrong?

FYI people feed the trolls because nobody wants to see a post, like the one that started this thread, go unanswered.
    Imagine a visitor coming to Crackberry to do some research on new BBs. They see a post by Civic stating that the new browser is slow and OS6 sucks. If there are no replies refuting the op, then people take it for gospel.

Action needs to be taken by the mods. Please.
    07-12-10 11:06 AM
    The S1 launched with .65. It was quite a while before we saw a .9X. So to try to insinuate that this version of OS6 is not mature is to either make Civic's point for her that RIM has a history of releasing very immature software or to ignore the history of RIM releases. Next, the browser as shown is a bit on the slow side when used on WIFI. It is supposedly allot faster over 3G. But in a comparison side by side with the several month old Incredible, the Incredible did a far better job of loading and displaying both sites without checkerboarding at all.

Maybe and hopefully the browser is much faster and smoother with proper text wrapping in its latest incarnation. BUT - we have not seen it yet. Be hopeful, but don't attack someone for their honest impression of the only thing they have before them to judge things on? What we have is RIM's past history, our knowledge of the technology and a few videos. When we have more, any of us, we can maybe be more praising and less critical. But at the moment, it does look very much like RIM added better HTML% rendering, tabs and pinch/zoom to the existing browser (which is a good start, albeit some years behind).

My personal belief is RIM knows what they have to do, and are working real hard on the software, but have begun to hit a hardware wall. From the rumors of upcoming device specs (S3 and later devices) they are trying to address that as well, and those harware improvements will hopefully make all the software changes run the way those most critical of RIM have been hoping for.
    Last edited by 1magine; 07-12-10 at 11:23 AM.
    07-12-10 11:20 AM
    I mean, anyone who owns a Civic obviously has no intelligence whatsoever.

Jk.

I'll withhold judgement to when a finished product actually comes out.

It seems like it loaded crackberry.com as fast as the iPhone4 loaded the New York Times homepage...both were much slower than my roommate's HTC Incredible, of course my comparison isn't remotely scientific as I controlled for nothing.
    07-12-10 11:38 AM
    RIM/BlackBerry-related News, Press Releases and Rumors

It is what it is - DISCUSSION

We have said it before...........

At CrackBerry.com we take pride in keeping these forums very open. If you've been here a while you've probably noticed this yourself. We don't want the forums to be a police state where you need to be scared to post something for fear of getting banned by a moderator.

At the same time, posting on this forum is not a right... it's a privilege that's granted when you register here and agree to the terms and conditions, which include following the forum rules and guidelines, including our rules for General Member Conduct, which I'll post right here:

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always use the Report Post function - exclamation mark inside a triangle at the top right corner of every post - to report something to the mod team that you think is offside). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

When it comes to this forum resolution for 2009, it's going to take the whole community to see make it happen. We *could* put down the moderation hammer and clean things up, but honestly, that's the last thing I'd ever want to see happen here and it would be worse on the forum as a whole. We need to police our own actions and the problem will take care of itself. It really is simple. If you can't be nice in the response you're about to post, then just don't post it. The community is big and somebody who's willing to respond in a more positive tone is likely just around the corner and will step in.
    07-12-10 11:43 AM
    I know this thread has pretty much run its course, and i haven't read it all...

Those complaining about how long it took to load CB, have you loaded it on any other platform?! Mobile Safari and Android take forever with CB too. I finally got to play with a Droid for the first time last week and the first thing I did was fire up the browser to see what this fantastic thing was about. Udder disappointment... for all the hype it gets. Even on Wifi. RIM's browser isn't even finalized and it looks to be well on par with Apple's and Androids.
    07-12-10 11:44 AM
    Sorry, but that sounds like a bit of a cop-out on behalf of the mods.
    How hard is it to move, delete, or at least lock (that would drop it to end of the thread list the fastest) a thread that so obviously "needs to fade into oblivion".

Why are the mods so trigger shy? I see absolutely no value to these threads. Am I wrong?

FYI people feed the trolls because nobody wants to see a post, like the one that started this thread, go unanswered.
    Imagine a visitor coming to Crackberry to do some research on new BBs. They see a post by Civic stating that the new browser is slow and OS6 sucks. If there are no replies refuting the op, then people take it for gospel.

Action needs to be taken by the mods. Please.
    I'm no Mod cop, man. I posted my post simply as another CrackBerry member.

If I wanted to do the mod thing, sure I could close it. What would that serve? It would just be me using some miniscule authority for no good reason. I don't play that way.

I thought I'd made my point that here we have a single video that shows a new browser that we all want - desperately, yeah, me too. It did some stuff and yes there were some delays. It also looked to me as if it was a lot better than what we have today. So why this huge long thread talking about practially nuttin'?

There seemed no good reason other than "troll feeding" that this thread was still going. However I am not closing it unless it gets out of hand just like I/we don't close some of the other more or less (than this) fizzled out threads. I just wish it would quitely die and I sad so but, not a s any Mod policy thing. No way.
    07-12-10 12:01 PM
    Pete and the other mods, it does seem that Civic does get to start an inordinate
    amount of trollish threads bashing RIM under the guise of posting news or rumors.

It does seem that a new category is needed for her to bash RIM and keep this
    forum for newsworthy info and rumors.
    07-12-10 12:37 PM
    No worries I have been working on some house keeping all day... Just have not got to this section........
    07-12-10 12:39 PM
    Pete and the other mods, it does seem that Civic does get to start an inordinate
    amount of trollish threads bashing RIM under the guise of posting news or rumors.

It does seem that a new category is needed for her to bash RIM and keep this
    forum for newsworthy info and rumors.
    The fact that the video was posted on the front page blog of CB it was
    indeed news.
    07-12-10 12:43 PM
    The fact that the video was posted on the front page blog of CB it was
    indeed news.
    Sure, the video was news. The RIM bashing is older than dirt and not news.
    07-12-10 12:47 PM
    Sure, the video was news. The RIM bashing is older than dirt and not news.
    So if it's news, and someone makes a thread on the news, they're not entitled
    to have an opinion whether it's shared by you or not? There are over 2
    milliion registered members on CB. Whether the OP makes a thread on it,
    regardless of her history, the same bashing is going to happen anyway in
    another thread. So what's the difference?
    07-12-10 01:01 PM
    God, this thread is starting to sound like the "Oblahblah Administration", let's play the "blame game" and see who we can point the finger at.
    07-12-10 01:11 PM
    So if it's news, and someone makes a thread on the news, they're not entitled
    to have an opinion whether it's shared by you or not? There are over 2
    milliion registered members on CB. Whether the OP makes a thread on it,
    regardless of her history, the same bashing is going to happen anyway in
    another thread. So what's the difference?
    The mods usually close other threads that become bash fests. Why not
    do the same to hers... that's the difference I see... but hey, whatever.
    I'll just comment as time allows.
    07-12-10 01:23 PM
    That has not become a bash fest- yet.
    07-12-10 01:27 PM
    I'm pretty sure some of the bashing was deleted yesterday.
    07-12-10 01:33 PM
    I'm pretty sure some of the bashing was deleted yesterday.
    We try to ONLY delete when absolutely necessary, THAT being said, yes a few posts WERE deleted and a few more were edited. Folks we need you to play nice or we will be forced to close the thread!
    07-12-10 01:39 PM
    She's right. I'm tired of the old beta product excuse.

Apples developers wrote OS4 and then released it to production immediately. They are so good they didn't have to test it.

Google wrote the android operating system and then released it to production without testing a line of code. Yes, they are that good.

Microsoft/Oracle/IBM developers write major operating systems and infrastructure products without testing. They are good at their jobs also.

Aerospace companies can design/build/deploy their aircraft without testing anything.

RIM developers need a refresher course. They obviously suck and don't know what their doing? The code and methods requires testing and constant rework and patches. They ought to learn a lesson from the big guys who write fast/defect free code the first time, that never has to be patched.
    What the...? "Aerospace companies can design/build.deploy ... without testing??? Hopefully, you re not an engineer, nor in the production business...
    Once you re working in a demanding and innovative field, testing is a crucial step to success (btw, they probably should have tested the iphone4 antenna...)
    07-12-10 01:41 PM
    As for Civic, yes she has become a bit of a basher (sorry, Civic, I'm a fan of yours but it's true). Having said that, at least I've learned some technical background from every thread she's started. So please don't edit her - it's not like some posters who only offer personal opinions not backed up by facts. You can disagree, but you'll learn something from the ensuing debate.

- R.
    07-12-10 01:48 PM
    Regarding the Browser being in Beta and and the 'excuses' about it being worked on ... my goodness people, relax! They said earlier this year it would be released in Quarter 3,... and later on nailed it down to September (if I remember correctly). Which means that ANYTHING prior to that is legitimate hype building. Don't act like they're releasing teasers and pushing release dates after feedback ... they're not.

Regarding BlackBerry 6 not being ready yet ... see above statement.

Regarding bashing BlackBerries or OS 5.0/6.0, ... I guaran-damn-tee I can find just as many problems with the Android and iPhone operating systems as you can the BlackBerry. Don't even pretend that's not the case. We all live in a world where we are willing to overlook the flaws of the device we like. Don't for a second act like you aren't doing it when you're criticizing the device you don't have.

And the last thing i'd like to say: How much complaining has been done over the past few weeks/months about RIM being quiet, and then we get a new video and there's complaining and whining? Wow. Let's all shut up, stop acting like this is the end of the world because the phone doesn't cure cancer, and realize that new phones and the new OS will be released in 3rd Quarter forward, starting around September.

And now back to your previously scheduled bickering, trolls, and bashing.
    07-12-10 01:50 PM
    The mods usually close other threads that become bash fests.
    ...and this one follows suit. Enough!!
    07-12-10 02:03 PM
148 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD