Webkit Browser Caught In Action � BerryReview

New RIM Webkit browser still appears plagued by the same memory issues that RIM reps blamed for the current screen redraw issues that the current browser has. It does appear that all RIM did with this new version is to just implement Webkit rendering capabilities into the existing old and tired browser, which obviously wouldn't have fixed anything else but the rendering capabilities of the webpages being pulled up. Seems the speed is slighly improved, but when hitting Crackberry, it's still VERY slow... must slower then what other current-gen smartphones can do.

Again... RIM... too little, too late. This is what the browser experience should have been when the S1 came out almost 2 years ago. But, in the tradition of RIM... they have certainly not let us down with this one either, since they're always last to the party and always bring a "re-gift".

Only positive I have to say about it... thanks for the pinch-zoom capabilities. Not put that in the HTML email rendering engine in OS6 and you'll impress me.
    07-10-10 09:58 AM
    Altough its still early, and its only been one video we've seen I'm generally impresses with the new browser, I had kept my expectations pretty low

As for using the rendering engine in e-mail it would make sense, Mike Lazaridis hinted at it at WES:

WebKit clarification - Mike L. clarified that the WebKit browser is an integrated part of OS 6.0. It's not a standalone app (you won't be able to install the WebKit browser on OS 5.0 for example). He further elloborated saying that it's not really a "webkit browser" but a WebKit rendering engine, which can be/is leveraged in areas/apps beyond just the browser.
    Source: http://crackberry.com/rim-founder-mi...ay-os6-0-comin
    07-10-10 10:05 AM
    Yeah, I know about that "hinting". That's why I'm hoping they actually did it because a big gripe for me now is also the quality of HTML email rendering the fact that I can't zoom in to see the details contained within pictures that someone pasts into the body of an email. (Think screen prints of issues that people paste into emails and ask "What does this mean?" I can't answer the question while on the road because I can't see the damn pic clearly enough to read the error message or whatnot. Pinch-zoom and better HTML rendering in email would GREATLY improve email on a BB in my opinion.)

Oh, and one last thing. I'm tired of the same old "And please remember that this is an early version..." BS excuses. We all know the same line has been used before about OS version or something else on BB and when it finally released, it wasn't any better. So, I don't see that as a valid excuse anymore on anything BB related. It is what it is... once it's out, it seems improvements can be made, but there is either always a tradeoff or some kind of "kick in the nuts" change that breaks something else that should have been left alone to begin with (i.e. swipe up on the Storm keyboard ). So, I guess what I mean by that is, I wouldn't put it past RIM to get rid of kenetic scrolling in the browser to fix the screen redraw issue, etc. I'm not saying this is what will happen, but just saying that RIM's always had to take something away to fix another issue, it's a constant compromize with the BBOS. It's never as easy or simple as "Let's just fix the issue at hand and leave everything else as is since it's working and people like it." Somehow that idea doesn't compute for RIM and its engineers.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 07-10-10 at 10:16 AM.
    07-10-10 10:10 AM
    As for it being slow on retrieving www.crackberry.com, I have seen my dual-core 3ghz desktop computer take a VERY long time to retrieve the same page. I suspect that crackberry is suffering performance issues on their side at peak times.

So while I'm not saying the webkit browser is shown to be as fast as we would want, I am suggesting that using crackberry.com as an example of slow speed is not necessarily indicating a speed issue with the browser.
    07-10-10 10:12 AM
    There's already several threads about this. Oh right� you're Civic and your opinion deserves extra attention. ;P

Give it time. if it were ready for the prime time, it would be released by now. Just look at the early Storm2 videos that Sal posted a year ago with the browser that took about a minute or two to load crackberry on wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Masahiro; 07-10-10 at 10:17 AM.
    07-10-10 10:15 AM
    As for it being slow on retrieving www.crackberry.com, I have seen my dual-core 3ghz desktop computer take a VERY long time to retrieve the same page. I suspect that crackberry is suffering performance issues on their side at peak times.

So while I'm not saying the webkit browser is shown to be as fast as we would want, I am suggesting that using crackberry.com as an example of slow speed is not necessarily indicating a speed issue with the browser.
    I won't argue that CB isn't slow at times, but my laptop pulls it up just fine. I actually only have a lot of delays on the forum side of things while submitting a post rather then the blogs section pulling up and navigating (which is what they pulled up). However, I'm more disappointed in the screen redraw and whiting out of the screen while scrolling. That's been a VERY LONG time issue for the BB browser and I was hoping that RIM would have solved the problem by now. It appears that a lot of these technical issues that some of us have with BBOS are rooted deeper and deeper into the VM architecture of the OS/Phone then just a simple inefficient coding of the program/app in question. After all, even on a PC running an OS or other things in a VM, it's slower and plagued by other issues then just natively running the OS directly. This is one of the reasons why I'm a fan of Bootcamp on a Mac rather then Parallels, but hey... that's just me.
    07-10-10 10:22 AM
    wow.. JRS is complaining again.....
    07-10-10 10:24 AM
    CB is slow most of the time for anything I use, but the forum side much more so. Anyhow, I won't get into a big to-do about the amount of data used versus the competitors. Fact remains is the browser is much improved and when released will be on par with Safari and the others. Give it time. No need to make a final decision when you don't have the final/finished product.
    07-10-10 10:31 AM
    As usual CX you are correct. It will be a vast improvement over what we have now. I think that this alone will keep many from going elsewhere.
    07-10-10 10:35 AM
    wow.. JRS is complaining again.....
    She's right. I'm tired of the old beta product excuse.

Apples developers wrote OS4 and then released it to production immediately. They are so good they didn't have to test it.

Google wrote the android operating system and then released it to production without testing a line of code. Yes, they are that good.

Microsoft/Oracle/IBM developers write major operating systems and infrastructure products without testing. They are good at their jobs also.

Aerospace companies can design/build/deploy their aircraft without testing anything.

RIM developers need a refresher course. They obviously suck and don't know what their doing? The code and methods requires testing and constant rework and patches. They ought to learn a lesson from the big guys who write fast/defect free code the first time, that never has to be patched.
    07-10-10 10:42 AM
    Anyone notice he was pulling sites already in his history? Except for Twitter but that was a mobile site.
    07-10-10 10:46 AM

Apples developers wrote OS4 and then released it to production immediately. They are so good they didn't have to test it.

Google wrote the android operating system and then released it to production without testing a line of code. Yes, they are that good.

Microsoft/Oracle/IBM developers write major operating systems and infrastructure products without testing. They are good at their jobs also.

Aerospace companies can design/build/deploy their aircraft without testing anything.

RIM developers need a refresher course. They obviously suck and don't know what their doing? The code and methods requires testing and constant rework and patches. They ought to learn a lesson from the big guys who write fast/defect free code the first time, that never has to be patched.
    You can't be serious. I mean, you seriously think either of the companies mentioned simply write their code and release it directly to the public? You've got to be kidding me. Didn't happen and never will.
    07-10-10 10:58 AM
    I think he's being sarcastic.

07-10-10 11:02 AM
    Anyone notice he was pulling sites already in his history? Except for Twitter but that was a mobile site.
    Shhhhhhh! You weren't supposed to notice that!
    07-10-10 11:04 AM
    You should start complaining about phones they plan to release in 2013. Switch up your game a little.
    07-10-10 11:30 AM
    Shhhhhhh! You weren't supposed to notice that!
    Then, and correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't pages load faster? Shouldn't cookies/cache be helping with the page load? If that's the case, then the slowness exhibited in loading crackberry is even more troublsome.
    07-10-10 11:34 AM
    You should spend more time in the office civic....it sounds like this road work really lowers your performance. Or get a phone that allows you to perform the way you feel you should be able to. I wouldn't want one of my staff not performing up to expectations and then blaming it on their phone but maybe that's just me. Anyway I liked the performance of the browser but agree that it should be faster when it comes out. And I also agree that CB is a pain to download sometimes from any computer or phone.
    07-10-10 11:39 AM

This is the most dumbest post I seen so far. Get real.
    Last edited by blazed12; 07-10-10 at 11:43 AM. Reason: whoops?
    07-10-10 11:42 AM
    Then, and correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't pages load faster? Shouldn't cookies/cache be helping with the page load? If that's the case, then the slowness exhibited in loading crackberry is even more troublsome.
    Cache and history are two different things.

07-10-10 11:43 AM
    That's what I meant. If he's visited the pages, as seen in the history, it would stand to reason that they'd be in the cache.
    07-10-10 11:47 AM
    I have to agree that CrackBerry is usually slow to open, even with a cable modem and an Intel Core i7 and 9Gb of memory it usually opens VERY slowly for me! People have to realize the biggest factor in browser speed is what's between you and the webpage, in this case the very slow servers (possibly overloaded?) that Crackberry uses are a major issue in speed.

The other major factor is speed of connection. Locally, my phone goes from EDGE to 3G depending on where I am in the Phoenix area. At home I use WiFi, weren't they using WiFi in the demo? If so, that means the browser might be slower away from a WiFi signal...
    07-10-10 11:48 AM
    It might still be a little slow to some but it's still early. I think once the final version is released it will be up to speed.
    07-10-10 11:52 AM
    That's what I meant. If he's visited the pages, as seen in the history, it would stand to reason that they'd be in the cache.
    The reasoning is flawed. The cache and history can be cleared separately. The point is, we don't know for sure. There's too little information in the video for us to draw any sort of concrete conclusion from it.

07-10-10 11:53 AM
    No matter what's in that video, no matter how much work it needs, at the very
    least BB users finally will have a browser that can render some full HTML pages.
    And they won't have to use any of those horrible 3rd party browsers. Very late to
    the party, but at least have shown up.

However with all that said, this should have at the very least been the Storm's
    browser on that infamous November day that it was released in 2008. Full HTML
    pages even for Android/iPhone users have been replaced by colorful, happening,
    and rich lookings APPS. As time passes full HTML
    on mobile browsers is beginnning to become less and less important.

With all that said, it's clear to me by looking at that video that there is still clearly
    a memory issue. Even with this 9800. The time it took to load the CB website on
    there was pretty much on par with Opera Mini and Bolt. But like I said, at least
    it's a start for BB users. And let's see how much data these things start to eat up.
    I only mention it since RIM is becoming a data treehugger.
    07-10-10 12:45 PM
    I've heard/read "rumours" that this was coming out in November. I hope that's not the case but who knows for sure.

I will sure have a new phone before than, and the 9800 is the only new BB I'm interested in right now from RiM.

07-10-10 01:00 PM
148 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD