all i get when i press the menu button on "previous update succeeded" is View Result. I click that and then all i see on my screen is The update from Blackberry Applications cersion 5.0.0.591 to 5.0.0.591 succeeded. If i press menu again then i only have the options of: help, switch application, and close.

I guess I will have to find some other way to free up the memory.

Thanks for the help though, glad it works for some of you.
    Same here. There's no option to delete update files.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 08:42 AM
    I took the plunge and the Wireless Update went very well.
    Browser click problem still persists.
    But the OS seems snappier. (or maybe that's because I had to delete a few apps before I could do the install thus freeing up tons of space) I also think the signal reception appears to have improved.

Some apps still lost their settings so I had to redo those...again...grr.

This was my first "wireless update" experience. All in all, not too shabby.

$.02
    Last edited by coffee-turtle; 04-21-10 at 11:11 AM. Reason: signal
    04-21-10 10:04 AM
    Can anyone tell me if they notice a major memory leak, or if they lose battery life quickly? The original .591 was a mem and battery killer...especially when rebooted...it would eat 20% - 40% of battery life for some...

Anyone?
    I've noticed my memory leak wasn't as bad, but my battery life SUCKS right now. This morning the phone was only unplugged for an hour and I didn't touch it, it went down to 90%. Today was a light day on my phone just a few BBMs and texts, didn't have AIM, browser, or FB opened and I'm at 35%. Phone's been unplugged for only 9 hours. I had better battery life before the patch.
    Last edited by xo simplicity; 04-21-10 at 06:56 PM.
    04-21-10 06:52 PM
    I've noticed my memory leak wasn't as bad, but my battery life SUCKS right now. This morning the phone was only unplugged for an hour and I didn't touch it, it went down to 90%. Today was a light day on my phone just a few BBMs and texts, didn't have AIM, browser, or FB opened and I'm at 35%. Phone's been unplugged for only 9 hours. I had better battery life before the patch.
    Yea I need some assistance here...I need to fix this. This patch is horrible. 3 hrs and a few bbms and by battery is at 20%.

Was it the platform? Does anyone have a solid answer? I had .591 before however with the older platform and I didn't experience this problem.

If there is someone to assist me with either a hybrid or going back to a more stable OS i'd appreciate it.

PM me please
    04-22-10 10:06 AM
    no problems at all with my upgrade...

jr
    04-22-10 10:44 AM
    I DL'd this patch update yesterday afternoon. Took just under an hour. For me it seems the trackball click issue is much better. I'm still getting that error msg about severe connectivity issues with bolt. Thou not as bad as before the patch. So far battery life is the same or maybe slightly better. Boot time did not change its still almost 5 min. The big thing I've noticed is much better signal strength. I'm a trucker & signal strength is something I watch closely as my route is mostly the same.

Overall, I'm happy with this patch.

04-23-10 07:43 AM
    I updated my 9630 for Verizon to the new 5.0 platform. Is anyone else after getting a MMS with a sound file that plays, after you close it and upon the next sms or mms the previous sound starts to play automatically and there is no way to shut it off. I have even started the camera and upon shutting it down the media starts to play automatically. The volume will not turn down, I can not stop the media from playing. I have had to pull the battery to recover. It only happens when I get a MMS with a sound file attached.
    04-23-10 03:25 PM
    i've gotten 5 emails from "@updates.crackberry.com" since this was originally posted.. do they just keep sending b/c i didn't update?

i am having terrible battery life since upgrading to the original official .591 was released.. i see htis isn't really fixed?

i think my screen brightness is 100% at random times even though I have it set at 20. any history of this out there?

getting pretty sick of this thing not working like its sposed to
    04-26-10 01:11 AM
    i've gotten 5 emails from "@updates.crackberry.com" since this was originally posted.. do they just keep sending b/c i didn't update?
    I have been wondering the same thing myself. I don't need constant email reminders that there is an official update. Once is more than enough.

I have an extended battery so the battery drain that most claim to be experiencing is of little consequence to me. The only thing I have heard mentioned that would interest me in the slightest is the faster reboot time because my 6-7 minute reboot is completely ridiculous. I have been experiencing serious memory leakage but not enough to make performance slowdowns a a real problem so far.
    04-26-10 08:49 PM
    I updated my 9630 for Verizon to the new 5.0 platform. Is anyone else after getting a MMS with a sound file that plays, after you close it and upon the next sms or mms the previous sound starts to play automatically and there is no way to shut it off. I have even started the camera and upon shutting it down the media starts to play automatically. The volume will not turn down, I can not stop the media from playing. I have had to pull the battery to recover. It only happens when I get a MMS with a sound file attached.
    OMG, the same EXACT thing hppens to me, so weird, i have not done the latest update (patch) but did do the 5.0 platform update in march. Very annoying
    05-03-10 07:26 PM
    OMG, the same EXACT thing hppens to me, so weird, i have not done the latest update (patch) but did do the 5.0 platform update in march. Very annoying
    This a known bug in 5.0.0.591 and has been known since the day it was released.

Search is your friend

But I'll be your friend too and give you some links that will get you started.

Song plays after I hang up a call

Source of inappropriate sound files playing - new OS

Known issues OS 5.0.0.591 Verizon Tour

Verizon .591 name that song thread

Sound plays when I hang up

Strange sound when ending call

getting weird sound after all my calls

MMM sound somehow saved

Help random ringtone music

And that is just a sampling.

05-03-10 08:09 PM
    This entire .591 build is trash! Is this Berry cursed? Its been an abortion of a device since release.

05-03-10 08:48 PM
    I like OS 5.0.0.419 + Driphter Dv8.2

This is my method for installing
    I did the install like I read and everything works GREAT, except now my BB messenger statuses don't update. Any suggestions?
    05-07-10 06:39 PM
    Has anyone had problems with the 5.0 version affecting the battery life of their verizon Tour? Ever since I upgraded to the 5.0 my battery life has been awful!
    05-25-10 02:10 PM
    Has anyone had problems with the 5.0 version affecting the battery life of their verizon Tour? Ever since I upgraded to the 5.0 my battery life has been awful!
    5.0 what? The .491 build I think is the last one. it was terrible. I went with the .662 build which is great. Very happy. But yes, if u auto upgraded from vzw update, that last build they sent was absolutely terrible and sucked the life out of my tour in so many ways.

05-25-10 02:13 PM
    I thought it was my imagination, but yes.
    05-25-10 02:18 PM
    5.0 what? The .491 build I think is the last one. it was terrible. I went with the .662 build which is great. Very happy. But yes, if u auto upgraded from vzw update, that last build they sent was absolutely terrible and sucked the life out of my tour in so many ways.

I'm sorry but I am not the best BB user. I thought the new upgrade was the 5.0v, is that not right? I downloaded the new upgrade a couple of months ago and since then is when I started having battery issues. Are you saying there is a newer upgrade that may help with this issue? If so where will I find that? I was just on BB web page and it looks as though the only update is the one I currently have.
    Sorry if my lack of knowledge is a problem, I am kind of a new user with BB.
    Thanks
    05-25-10 03:31 PM
    My battery issues seemed to begin with .591 which I think is the most recent Verizon officilly released OS.
    05-25-10 05:20 PM
    Do yourself a favor and get rid of that .591 crap. I'm running .643 and couldn't be happier. Its the best OS I've had on my phone.

05-25-10 06:15 PM
    Do yourself a favor and get rid of that .591 crap. I'm running .643 and couldn't be happier. Its the best OS I've had on my phone.

I've never seen .643 offered. As soon as Verizon has any official OS upgrade, I'm always first in line. "Unofficial" stuff makes me too nervous.

05-25-10 08:48 PM
    Just downloaded 4.7.1.61, and now my wireless update has the two 5.0.0.591 updates available.

do i need to download .272 before i can download .284??
    05-28-10 08:02 AM
    No, just go ahead and download the latest OS.

.284 is the latest "patched" version. Download that one. Be prepared for OS bugs such as browser link click issue, MMS playing randomly sound, slight battery drain. i have VZW 9630/5.0.0.591 and while i like threaded SMS, i'm not too thrilled with the bugs in OS 5. Hopefully we'll get a better one soon...

05-28-10 08:07 AM
    is the upgrade to .284 that whorthwhile? 4.7 seems to run nicely. i guess i will need 5.0 to get the next upgrade eventually though right?

Thanks for the input!
    05-28-10 08:08 AM
    That's really a tough question. i had much better battery life and no memory leak on 4.7. i was getting 552 errors on that OS though. That's really the only reason i updated to 5. OS 5 is pretty buggy and not many people are happy with it. i put up with it for the threaded SMS though. It's really up to you. You can give OS 5 a try and if you don't like it you can downgrade back to 4.7. You don't need to have 5 installed to be able to upgrade to the next OS after 5, assuming they'll be one.

05-28-10 08:16 AM
    again, thanks for the help. going to stick with 4.7 for now.
    05-28-10 08:20 AM
325 ... 111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD